Too fit, or not too fit?

Found this article on the BBC website...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8170264.stm

The long established argument on how good running actually is for you is still alive and kicking!!

Comments

• I dunno, I thought the article came across quite positive about running, apart from the normal "running ruins your joints" comments at the bottom of the page.
  • they had a 'discussion' on Jeremy Vine about this.  It was ridiculous.  Tony Blackburn was the guest and he was trying to tell everyone that exercise is a waste of time and it will cripple you.  They had a personal trainer on who was ridiculed by TB and all the people who rang in were from the sit on the sofa brigade.  It was totally one sided.

In this day and age of obesity you would have thought they would have been pushing the 'exercise is good for you' argument. 

I dont usually listen to Jeremy Vine because it winds me up but I thought I would give him a chance this time. I give up now.

• Trouble is, we have become such a sedatery nation, that anything that involves getting up and moving around a bit, or shock horror, building up a sweat is demonized by those types who don't understand it, they try to look for any excuse to stay sitting around and increasing the size of their asses.

• Hill1Hill1 ✭✭✭
    Reminds me of a phrase I once read on the back of a runners vest whilst doing a half marathon "Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated" made me chuckle! I'm pretty sure that if most people gave running a go they would very quickly find themselves one of the 'obsessed' people they once thought crazy!!
  • Tell me about it... I spend a lot of my time advising patients to get off their arses and do some exercise, esp those presenting with non-specific lower back pain.

Jeremy Vine show is just an audio version of Daily Mail readers - ill-informed biggots. Can't bear it.

It's always numpties who know nothing about running who come out with 'it ruins your joints'. Had an ex-military colonel say the same to me last week. Told me I'd wear my joints out running etc.

Asked him what evidence he had for that: "Ol' Jonty, sooper fit chep, totally buggered his knees up running". image

Come back and discuss when (a) you run and (b) you know the effects of exercise and mechanics on the human body.  Until then stick with what you know - golf and bmw cars.

• As our dear Andy Dixon says in the article

There's a fallacy that it wrecks your knees and ankles but there's a long-term study that says the more you do it, it ends up strengthening them

• I run 6 days a week, and I do pick up the occasional niggle; However I still feel a lot etter now than I did 3 months ago after doing no training at all for 3years! 

If my joints do give up in a few years time then I'll still be able to partake in other sports such as swimming or cycling.

• Devoted2Distance wrote (see)

Stress fractures and shin splints are no bloody fun.

I hate running.

No, but if you are sensible, you can avoid most of these things.
  • I read an article in a magazine a few months ago which more or less said that there was no scientific evidence to prove that running damaged cartlidge in your joints.It pointed out that runners who did suffer joint problems would probably of got the condition regardless of whether they exercised regularly or not.They concluded that the health benefits of having a healthy cardio vascular system out weighed any other minor ailments that may or may not of been caused by regular exercise.
  • if you sit on a sofa all day then things aren't going to ache as you dont use them.  If you use your joints then every now and then something is going to ache a wee bit.
  • I suppose 'they' would have us all playing with our 'Wii Fits' from the comfort of our lovely sofas.

I keep a handy hammer down my sock to deploy whenever I come across a 'Wii Fit' image

• Hill1Hill1 ✭✭✭
    Ha Ha, I've only been on my Nieces Wii Fit once and according to that I was obese image (I dread to think what it would have called me 2 years ago before I started running???) but I still managed to beat everyone at Ski jumping image