Options

Running on country roads

Comments

• Options

as with most others, i would say run on the right (facing traffic), except where there are blind corners, wear high viz clothing (my theory on this is if they still can't see me they probably shouldn't be driving...), if you use an ipod please keep it down so you can hear traffic approaching

and thank the nice drivers who move over (and those that stop if it isn't safe to pass) - i tend to find lorry and tractor drivers are very considerate! (and if you're like me scowl and shake your head at those that drive over the speed limit and/or don't move over!)

i love running in the country. i'll be moving to a city soon and don't think i'll enjoy the running quite as much, but it does mean i can run outside in the winter as there will be streetlights (i'm not brave enough to attempt it round here with no pavements or streetlights)

• Options
    SeelaSeela ✭✭✭

Old Timer: Highway code says use the RH of the road if you are on your own and LH if you are part of a large group. I'll assume a bunch of runners constitues a large groupimage

BTW as many have said above you should run on the right but cross over to the left on blind RH bends to increase your view, and to give any cars more chance to see you.

As for moonlight running - its absolutely aceimage

• Options
    Some one mentioned the joy of running in the mud and rain ( no, I'm not being sarcastic..I love it ! ) and there has been a mention of potholes..just beware rain filled potholes . ran through what I thought was a shallow puddle as a car passed me once..it was a deep pothole and I ended up flat out in the water. Very embarrassing and rather painful !
  • Options
    Running_Scamp wrote (see)

Hi Parklife,

I'm doing about 30-35 miles a week on the road at the minute. Training for a half in October. I live in Derry, in the city itself. I'm pretty bored with the same routes so I've started going out of town into the surrounding hills. Basically I thought I'd freshen things up and get good hill training at the same time. Been doing a couple of 6-8 mile country runs over the last 2-3 weeks.

I have to say I really enjoy the peace and quiet even though I kinda spoil the tranquility wheezing and gasping as I plod along.

Hi Running_Scamp,

I live in Lenamore area outside Derry, not far from the Stables. There are plenty of country roads to run along with some great views to keep you going. During the week I usually run along the river or around the bridges but don't enjoy it as much.

Always ran on the right and cross over on blind corners.

• Options
    Old Timer wrote (see)

I run on the left, just as instructed when in a race, which flies in the face of the highway code. The athletics association must have a  reason for this.

However on narrow country lanes i can understand why. If you run on the right and  cars come toward you from both directions the car facing you pulls in and you have to stop running till the car behind you passes.

Run on the left, the car behind you stops to allow the car coming toward to continue.   

Simples !

Totally agree. As i've said before when this subject has come up. Although if it's a blind bend i'll cross over.

A runner has the same 'face on' profile as a cyclist, yet no one would expect you to ride head first at cars coming in other direction, so why should i run at them? And it isn't about speed, because some cyclists are slower than some runners, i'm crap, and yet even i have passed cyclists going uphill before.

• Options
    SeelaSeela ✭✭✭
    Yeah, and you can't watch the bugger as he ploughs into the back of your legs. Face the traffic and you have a chance to dive into the hedge when you realise he hasn't seen you.
  • Options
    the problem with cars approaching from the rear if you're on the left is that the driver will invariably try to overtake you - irrespective of what is coming in the other direction. if the driver sees you running towards them on the right, they will invariably slow down/stop as they can see - and you can see - each others faces. so it's easy to give the oncoming driver some information - if needed - for them to slow down as you will be aware, or will hear, of any oncoming traffic. the face also gives an awful lot of information and expressions can provide a good reason for someone to slow down!!

saying all that - I like to run on the left when there isn't any traffic issues as the camber helps even up the fact that my left leg is longer!!

• Options
    Having just returned from my 5 mile run around the county roads where I live (South Essex ) I find the drivers in the main very good . Maybe it is because i and other runners use the route on a regular basis and I for one always raise my hand to say thanks if the driver makes an effort and moves away from me or stops for me.... However and there is always is one.... Some of them do try to see how close they can get...
  • Options
    ComradeComrade ✭✭✭

I don't use country roads too often. But when I do I tend to run on the right but also zig-zag at the bends. If I am on the left and there is a car behind me and one approaching from the front as well, I stop and wait at the side till they pass. Then carry on. This is a bit of a hassle but safer. At my speed (slowly!) this hardly makes too much difference.

I've just remembered why I tend not to use the narrow roads for running!

• Options
    SeelaSeela ✭✭✭

Guys, put it like this - I run on the right (except bends etc....). The day somebody came towards me using their mobile, I could SEE they were on the phone, and I could SEE that hadn't noticed me, so I was able to step onto the verge.

If I had my back to them it could well have been curtains.

• Options
    Well for a start Zan, you are supposed to cycle on the left.
  • Options
    And in the direction of the traffic flow
  • Options
    Whereas a pedestrian whether running or walking is suppoed to be on the right
  • Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I don't know why pedestrians are considered differently from cyclists, but I run on the right because that's what the Highway Code says - if there were an accident, then (small consolation though it might be), I'd be in the right! image

• Options
    unless of course as a cyclist you use a cycle lane on a road which may allow you to cycle in the opposite direction
  • Options

Hi all, I run on country lanes all the time at the moment. I have done both LH and RH of road and have found that most drivers will slow down or stop until they can pass safely whichever side you are on. However, I do agree with MF that being able to SEE what is coming can sometimes feel safer.  It all boils down with what makes you feel better.  I agree with Z that it shouldn't matter if you are runner or cyclist....but we dont live in a perfect world.

• Options
    SeelaSeela ✭✭✭

Just because they are unfit to drive doesn't mean they aren't out there.

Also, generally, cyclists are moving faster than pedestrians (be they runners or not) so the closing speed of a vehicle aproaching from behind less (if you are doing 15 on a bike, and the car behind is doing 30, then he is catching you at 15 mph, if you are on the right the closing speed is 45 which would give both of you much less time to react).

• Options
    I'd love to stick to paths, trails and pavements but there aren't any.  I went out for 5 miles this morning and I still hate running round here.  I might just give up and get fat instead.
  • Options
    if eejuts want to cycle on the RH side of the road - fair enuff - at least it will quickly take their idiocy out of the genepool.......

and while we're at it - mow down the cyclists on the pavements as well.....

I've been thinking of the road runs I do where I don't run on pavements - the bulk of these are on very quiet, very narrow (won't fit 2 cars side by side) country roads where is see so little traffic that it's just as easy to run in the middle.
  • Options
    fat buddha wrote (see)
    ..... and while we're at it - mow down the cyclists on the pavements as well.....

I think they're more likely to mow me down.  I encountered several this morning inc beside roads where there were cycle paths and in v quiet areas where there was no traffic.  What are these people?  Chickensh*t?  Thoughtless?  Illegal?  I'm a cyclist too and I've been knocked off a coupla times but I still get back out on the roads.  Grrrrr.  As for those ones with a beer can in one hand, gangster leaning on their handlebars, but still on the pavements.  Utter t*ssers!  I feel strongly about this - can you tell?

• Options
    SeelaSeela ✭✭✭

No, because anyone who has done their driving test and read the highway code would NOT expect to see a cyclist on their side of the road coming towards them. And if that was the rule then at what speed would you stop being a slow cyclist and become a fast one? Its better to have a single general rule.

You have to remember that this advice comes from the Highway code which has to deal with general situations, that cover everything from small children on bikes to time trial races and grannies out for a walk to runners.

You choose which side you want to run, I'm going to stick to the right.

• Options
    when we run on country roads Under race conditions UKAA stipulate to keep left.However the highway code says when walking on a road you should face the oncoming traffic.Personaly I alternate a mile or so on each side due to the camber in the road which plays havoc with my knee and ankle joints.
  • Options
    SeelaSeela ✭✭✭

BR2. The Highway code says groups of pedestrians (that is people on foot) should be on the right if there is a small number, but on the left if there is a large number. The reason being that traffic can follow the group and (slowly) work their way up the convoy.

ZZ: when I started running 20 years ago I used to run around a 5 mile loop, on the right, and mentioned to my wife that the camber was causing me problems. She suggested I ran around the loop in the other direction.image

• Options
    It only plays havoc zanzinger if i dont alternate sides that was the point i was making.
  • Options
    I run quite a bit on local roads.  I run where it is safest to run - this will mostly be on the right hand side but sometimes it is safer to run on the left or even the middle as this may give more visibility of the road ahead.