Smoking Runners

Comments

• I think people are afraid to give up because they think they are going to have a really hard time of it. When my sis-in-law had a health scare she stopped and was surprised by how difficult it wasn't. There are so many scare stories around about how awful the withdrawal symptoms are that she was terrified. But then found that it wasn't actually that bad.

Maybe we need to be less hysterical and look at it from a positive angle - i.e. it is do-able.

PS: I stopped 'social smoking' the day I was introduced to the man who is now my OH. He obviously liked me, but as a keen sportsman, was put off by the fag I had in one hand and the beer I had in the other. imageMy prostestations of 'I only smoke when I'm out!' didn't wash and I had to do some serious mountaineering feats and some serious running before I convinced him I'm a healthy kinda gal.image

• social smoking is strange - never understood that. I don't get how people can smoke occasionally, often going weeks between cigs. bizarre
  • I could only smoke if I'd had a couple of beers FB, otherwise it made me feel sick. And I only smoked when I went out. But as I went out nearly every night....image
    As time went by I could have a cigarette after only two beers, then with my first and finally as I ordered my first or on the way to the bar...

I remember when I had a really cool dope smoking boyfriend trying to have a cigarette for breakfast as he and all his cool dope smoking pals and their cool girlfriends did. Fortunately I wasn't cool enough, felt sick and just had some toast. 

I don't know how I didn't become addicted as I tried hard enough in a kind of self-destruct mode. Humans are weird I tells ya!

My brother has been smoking for 25 odd years (he's now 40-something) and it's really starting to show when we're on the mountains and also the amount of air he chugs scuba diving. He'll use up a 15 litre bottle when I still have plenty air left in a 12. And he's a much more experienced diver than me.

To those who think it doesn't affect their training - it does. It must. But you probably won't notice it if you're only in your twenties.

Knock it on the head!

• anon wrote (see)

The guy I shared the office with chain-smoked 80 a day, so there's no assumption there. He killed himself slowly by smoking, for definite. (I remember him telling me I should be putting 30% of my income into a pension fund - then he goes and dies at 55 himself. Much good did his own pension fund do him.)

90% of lung cancers are down to smoking.

Anon, you can make nothing but an educated guess about the two people you have mentioned unless:

1. You saw the death certificate/pathologists report, or;
    2. You are a pathologist yourself

If you cannot answer affirmative to the either of above two points then it is nothing other than an educated guess...

• I smoke 10 a day n am one of those who have a last ciggie about 20 mins before the start! I'd love to give up but guess I just have no will power - still manage a sub 1.35 half marathon though (yeah I know just think what I'd be able to do if I quit - heard that one a thousand times!) I've been smoking for 20 years so think there's no hope for me!
  • I used to smoke, gave up about 5 months ago as part of trying to life a healthier lifestyle. I notice a huge difference now, both in my health and my bank account
  • well done anyone who has stopped.

Some interesting views here, some downright distorted and fueled by inexperience and need to "have a go" but that is true of many subjects. My knowledge of what works unfortunately is restricted to what stopped me for the longest time and not perminently. If off stay there -please.

• Sharnie - there is always hope!

I started at 18 or 19 and packed in for good at 39 - over 20 years of total dependency on cigs.

When you decide you want to - REALLY REALLY want to - then you will do it- and you will find that the thought of giving up was worse than the actual giving up.

Best of luck to you

• that is true in my experience Kicked it. So easy for me to go back though.
  • "I remember when I had a really cool dope smoking boyfriend"

I have to say that was one of the things I missed most after packing the fags in - not being able to partake of a big spliff. I tried it a couple of times but wasn't sure what was giving me the hit - the dope or the nicotine and it made me feel ill so I packed the spliffs in. I know there are other ways of having dope but the spliff way was always the best.

as for saving money - when we packed it in we bought a big piggy bank and put the fag money in there daily. within 12 months we had a holiday in Sri Lanka and the Maldives on it........I really couldn't imagine the cost of smoking these days
  • Just wish there was a magic potion you could drink so that you would wake up and just not want to smoke!!!!!!!!!! guess that would solve it!  Max i've ever managed is a month - every other time I have caved at about 2 weeks - the patches, inhalers and gum just don't seem to do anything!

HUGE quantities of admiration to all who have made it!!!!!!! 

• Ok time to admit it I still smoke, 10 a day habit image

On monday we are moving to a new office where there is no provision for smokers except the street.

On Sunday I will be giving up Smoking.

This is also with the help of the Allan Car book. I did it before for a year and god knows why I started again.  image

• I stopped after reading the Allan Carr book, I was fed up of smoking anyway by then though.
  • That's part of what gets me down - if  I make a year i'm still gonna want a smoke!?

Might have a look at the Allan Carr book though!

Oh - and good luck Tommygun2 - hope you make it!image

• Sharnie, it's nothing like craving one because you haven't had one for a couple of hours, it's a very fleeting craving not a desperate urge or anything.  I know what you mean though, people saying that to me before I stopped made me not want to even try.
  • I think its the fear of not having ciggs on them that stop people quitting. As Allan Carrs book says, there is nothing more desperate than a smoker who has run out and the shops are shut. Or in my case the other week had a pack but nothing to light them with. It sounds so stupid but its an irrational fear that stops many people giving up. well that what I'm telling myself.  
  • That's very true.  I had a pack in a drawer for months after I stopped, having them there made me feel better.  I did bin them when I was particularly p*ssed off one day though, in case I decided I hated myself enough to start again.
  • Thanks Cathy - guess that helps to know! - think its less fear of not having cigs that puts me off - more a fear of suffering!! - almost motivated to have another go - soon - ish ....... maybe! image

The worst thing is that I really should know better - I'm almost ashamed to admit it but I work with patients with cancer!

• Sharnie wrote (see)

The worst thing is that I really should know better - I'm almost ashamed to admit it but I work with patients with cancer!

logically yes but smoking aint about logic or conscious thought. Would be so much easier if it were eh?
  • Read the Allen Carr book and give it a go.  He reckons there's no suffering and although I wouldn't completely agree with that (and everyone's different anyway) it was certainly easier than I thought it would be.
  • Carr was the easiest method I tried.  A book called The Nicotine Trick by Neil Casey is a must also.
  • Guess I'll be taking a trip to the book shop then ! thanks guys!
  • before anon comes along to say it, I'll say it - you don't NEED books you just need the willpower........

search out the associations you have with smoking and break them - that makes the whole process easier......

move house, change jobs, get divorced/married - these can be the big ones that can help you break the link between you and smoking but there are little ones as well like

when do you have the first fag? change that
    do you always smoke at the pub? if so change pubs
    do you smoke in the house? don't

may sound simple but it helps break the habit and there is nothing more habitual in my experience than smoking
  • Fair enough FB but Allen Carr's book helped me and was cheaper than moving house or getting married. 
  • Thats the veiw I'm taking FB

New office, different route to work, earlier train etc etc

Plus I really wan't to quit. image 

• Well I'm already divorced - and that was expensive! Don't fancy gettin married again, and I don't smoke in the house - hardest ones to miss for me when I have managed more than a couple of days are the first one after a meal -  and if I have a glass of wine in one hand ............

And I'm definately not giving up alcohol (and no I don't drink everyday) - gotta have some vices!

Reckon willpower does contribute a major amount to the success of those who manage it tho!

Reckon the really wanting to is important too - maybe that's the bit I'm missing? Know I should quit but if  it was harmless I really wouldn't - I enjoy it!

• Scotty4Scotty4 ✭✭✭

I quit a month ago (again) and found this FREE book useful : http://www.aebersold.com/documents/QuitEasy.pdf

The author states that he's an Allen Carr practishioner.

I found it very helpful as it made me appreciate that most of my ciggies were 'rewards' for various things and really made me despise the 'habit' of my addiction. I must say though, that having non-smoking pubs is a huge blessing.

• never realised you smoked Scotty - don't recall ever seeing you with a cig in your hands
  • Scotty4Scotty4 ✭✭✭
    I was an ex-smoker back then. I quit in 2002, not long after my first marathon, but started again in mid-2005.
    Managed to stop in January 2007 for 3 months, until 2 weeks before running FLM !!!!!! Got drunk in a very smokey pub surrounded by friends who were chain smoking and I caved in, bought a packet....and never looked forward.
    I believe this time WILL BE better as I had been resenting the NEED for nicotine and was only really enjoying the first couple of puffs.
  • Just had a bit of a speed read though the site Scotty suggested - reckon its a must read for any one contemplating quitting - dumped it on my memory stick for later.   Wasn't even contemplating having another try at quitting when I got up this morning - but reckon I might just give it another go! image