IMUK Getting Bored of the negatives

Comments

• Swim was measured on Friday several times with several GPS.  I believe that before the practice there was something that led to that Nautical issue, but by Saturday that was sorted.  I did however see a picture that suggested that the end bouys were fine, but there was a curve caused by the wind that would have added to the distance. 

Carl, noted and I do see your point.  I have a lot of time for most of the race crew, Alice, Chris Boon and Richard especially. 

• Podro - I am SO dreadfully embarrassed. A minute, not a degree! thanks
  • Podro wrote (see)
     the surface distance covered by one minute

and the word you are looking is 'subtended'

• Im with the UK boys and girls this time , bouys move , swim courses are very hard to get right and most IM events are a bit approximate in this regard....

Last years ITU Long Course on the other hand ....(muffles sound of ranting)...

• (joins muffled sound of ranting....) at least you managed to finish it 'centric
  • give the IM franchise to trevor, then we'd see what a badly measured course looked like!

i think melli made the most significant point earlier, their attitude to criticism, however constructive, does leave something to be desired.

• I am not going to comment, I am not going to comment, I am not going to comment, I am not going to comment...image imageimageimage
  • good old wikipedia hey - solves all debates in our house

what does wikipedia say abut IMUK ?

what would DJ Talent say?

• JjJj ✭✭✭
    What would Smiffy's lawyer say?

oh:
    You're not going to comment, you're not going to comment, you're not going to comment, you're not going to comment...

[giggle]
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    I often do.
    And he images back.
  • PodroPodro ✭✭✭

Melli - all my illusions about your intellectual puisance shattered image.

Not sure that subtended is the right word. Isn't that the straighht line distance between the two vertices of an arc?

• cripes, and now i'm going to have look up 'puisance'
    i can only find puissance: a test of horses's ability to jump large obstacles or great power, might or influence.
    great word!

i couldn't be sure about subtend but i know i learnt word when i was taught the definition of a nautical mile (the detail of which obviously faded!)
  • PodroPodro ✭✭✭

Bugger - missed out an 's'.  I meant it in the power sense rather than your ability to jump like a horse of course.

• I don't think getting the course distance 100% right is necessary for a good I'm race - there or thereabouts is fine. Other aspects of IMUK put me off it - I will stock with overseas events until things improve here.
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    The Puisance is the most exciting bit of the Horse of the Year Show!
  • Going back to the original post, I believe this could go someway to helping with the problem image
  • I thought it had potential to be brilliant. Bolton people were great. Having spent longer on the bike and swim course than any other pirate during the race, I am best qualified to comment on themimage, although my wretchedly slow time and non start of the run makes me unworthy to say too much.

The swim was a swim, the buoys did move about a bit but at the start of lap 2, they were arrow straight, I looked. The bike course was really nice although one of the very low number elites did comment to me that he thought it dangerous as the cars came too close a great deal of the time. Sheephouse was quite good but not even licking at the toes of a Smiffy torture event. Even I got up it seated all three times apart from half a dozen strokes.

However, having registered on Friday arvo, I found out for the first time, quite by accident, in the local Harvester, 4 miles away from the IM "village"image that the mandatory race briefing was being held in the Reebok.and not the village as advertised  image

I would actually quite like to ramble up there for a day or so in a cheapolodge and do the bike course again and learn how to descend.if only for that glorious other side of Sheep House mad blast. 

• Dustboy - if you do come up for a ride of the course give us a shout as me and SS are looking at riding it again, the bike course is superb, The swim was good and the run was tough, ITS not supposed to be easy, the only gripes I have are with the organisation, they have had problems with muddy fields for 3 years so why think a field on a hill next to a large lake was going to be dry?.

The other issue is their less than helpful manner of dealing with queries, IF you have a query that is not on the website they dont address it but tell you to look on the website.

• I'd like that, that would be great JP. BTW, if you see a brand new "green tennis ball" waterproof between transition and Belmont Village in the hedgerow somewhere, please accept it with my compliments, it's an unused XL image
  • DB - I have a mate who lives off Belmot road and will ask him to keep an eye out while passing.
  • Cheers!

I forgot to mention the blast through the industrial estate where all the traffic lights were switched off. That was great. And the wheeeeeee!!!! just about 3 miles out of Belmont? Wow, that was wicked, even I could descend that!

• UltraCasUltraCas ✭✭✭

Dustboy/JP - do you know if there is somewhere I can download the bike route from in a Garmin friendly format? I'm up north in a few weeks and fancy doing a few laps to see what all the fuss is about.

• Dustboy wrote (see)

Cheers!

I forgot to mention the blast through the industrial estate where all the traffic lights were switched off. That was great. And the wheeeeeee!!!! just about 3 miles out of Belmont? Wow, that was wicked, even I could descend that!

Yes but unless we ride it early on a Sunday morning the traffic lights will be working image
  • UltraCas wrote (see)

Dustboy/JP - do you know if there is somewhere I can download the bike route from in a Garmin friendly format? I'm up north in a few weeks and fancy doing a few laps to see what all the fuss is about.

I have it on my 705. I will upload it when I CBA to go in the garage and get it. I will can email you the link, or you can try Garmin connect,
  • Cas

try this http://connect.garmin.com/activity/10487074

cant guarantee it will work but upload it and see

• Sorry, don't know. But if you can, do it. Even when the traffic restrictions were lifted by my lap 3, it was still a nice course to ride. though the motorbikes were around by then and they like it too!

• UltraCasUltraCas ✭✭✭

Ta JP - worked perfectly...have a nice little tcx file ready and waiting.

I'll be heading out on the course on a friday so hopefully all the motorbikes will be at work image

Edit: never drink and forum, never drink and forum......

• Enjoy.

Watch your first descent after Sheephouse ascent but just before the lake until you know it. The bollards have gone because cars seem to like going for a swim I am told. You might too if you are not careful. And 250 yards after that just before the TIGHT left turn on to the main road, the road surface is shite, stay to the centre or right and be damned careful.

Apart from that, pedal to the metal. I am quite envious!

• UltraCasUltraCas ✭✭✭

image I'm lovin' the cycling now DB...even have clipless pedals now image

(sorry thread hijack)