Votwo Jurassic Coast 3-Day Challenge 78.6

Anyone planning on doing this one? The full three days that is.

Anyone done it before and have any training tips?

Comments

• Hi Bob

Thanks for starting this thread early image. I have been thinking about this one for a while now, but knew I wouldnt have chance this year to get the amount of training in that would be necessary. I was also tempted by votwos other 3-day, the Atlantic in Cornwall, but again had already booked up a race (Loch Ness mara) for the week after the challenge, and didnt fancy my chances of completing 4 maras in 7 days (with a 500mile drive in between) image. So 2010 it is!!

Anyhow, I guess my approach will be a kind of modified ultra-runners schedule, not so much pushing for really big one-off distances, but building up my long back to back runs over the weekends and doing lower milage during the week. I also cycle so I might replace a couple of long runs with long cycles just for some variety, as we have a good number of months to go before the event we have the 'leisure'  of a slow steady build-up image image.

Also keen to hear from others who have done it before, and I know very little about the area (I've been to Lyme Regis once!) so any local knowledge or tips would be good image.

• Hi Bob, I'm really interested in this. My plan is similar to Tigerspaw with 2 long back to back runs at the weekend and very little running in the week. I spoke to a lady who has done it before and this suited her so seems the best plan of action. She said the terrain is tough but more than do-able.

To be honest, I'm a shite marathon runner and am so injury prone its untrue, but I think this is going to be more about recovery than anything else and thats one bit I'm ok at (Its amazing what a cold bath after a LSR can do)! Also, with there being different categories for runners, run-walkers and walkers there isn't the pressure to run the whole thing (thank god!)

I'm going to train until christmas and if by some miracle nothing's broken by then then I'll enter. The package with accommodation looks quite good too.

Edit: This is quite a good review-

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=4088&v=2

• Did this year's - being slow old trout (or bear) did not actually do full distance - apart from day 1 (day 2 22 miles, 3 about 16), but support and friendliness of event makes it well worth while. (Tip - try and get accomodation at Lugger Inn a.s.a.p.) unless you have other plans, but it is so convenient and where staff have their HQ.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Just come back from the "Oner".  My suffering is too recent to give a sensible report on this event yet!  The course is something else.
  • Hey great feedback guys - combination of wanna do, gonna do and done!

I'm not entered yet but 80-90% going to.

Sounds like the general training principle is back to back LSRs on the weekend. I'm pretty local to the event (Poole) so I can spend some time in the Purbecks honing my stumble.

T-Rex forgive my ignorance but what is the event you are referring to and how did it go (once the suffering has eased)?

• I have a place for next yrs including the accomodation for all 3 days.

This is going to be my first time & my first taste of ultra running.

My training will be as mentioned 2 long b2b runs over the weekend and smaller stuff during the week mixed in with some long bike rides. The long bike rides will help improve the fittness whilst lessening the chances of injury. Try & do most of your runs on similar terrain it won't be such a shock to the system.

Have a look at this website for some ideas: http://www.ultramarathonrunning.com/

Votwo also made a film from this yrs event which is on youtube in 2 parts, worth looking at.

• I agree the accommodation package does look very good, especially with food included. I was googling round for b+b's in Weymouth, but found pretty much just bog standard stuff, and prices generally the same / more expensive than the votwo deal. Never know what you're gonna get with some of these b+b's!!

I havent entered yet but once I've sorted my holiday timings and logistics out I will probably book the whole package. Coming down from Scotland, so need to plan it as part of a longer holiday, but at least have the advantage of having family about half way down the country to break up the journey in both directions.

Saw this years photos on the official website imageimage...thats some big steep hills!! image

Thats why I am also liking their 3 cats of: runners, run / walkers, walkers etc for next year image! I can well see me starting out in one group on day 1 and ending up in another by day 3 image image.

I like cross-country stuff but I'm not really used to running that distance with a back pack on, so will need to practice that, although I guess we dont have to carry that much, just phone / emergency stuff etc.

• I've been up some of those hills and everyone will be categorised 'climbers' on some of them. No way you could actually 'run' up some of them...
  • Ok I've entered now. As a 'G3 jogger/runner'.

I'm going to cheat and walk some bits too though. What a rebel.image

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    bob69 - sorry, the "Oner" is all 3 Jurassic Coast Challenge marathons done in one day.  At least we didn't have to worry about accommodation!!  The third one is the killer.  Scenery stunning though.
  • T-Rex imageimageimage.......well done completing that!!!

Just waiting for my holiday dates to be 'approved' then I will be free to enter image image.

Taking a week to allow for the drive back.....thank goodness for compression socks is all I can say!!

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

I don't know if doing them over 3 days is easier or not!  I would have thought you'd be stiffening up a bit from the previous day's efforts. Last year I did the High Peak 40-mile Challenge and the Anglesey marathon the next day. The marathon was quite a struggle, and there was certainly no way I could have done a third the day after.

The rumour is the "Oner" is going to be run the same time as the 3-day challenges next year.  I'll have to see if it clashes with anything.  Less chance of good weather in March as well.

• Yeah, I think getting out of bed on that third day might be a bit of a struggle! I'm quite a slow plodder anyway, so I won't be going for any fast times, just to complete the distance. I want to try to run/jog most of it but I think the walking or speed marching up the hills option will be used a lot.

I did quite a lot of back to back training over last winter and spring for the Cape Wrath Challenge (which is 5 runs in 6 days, but only the last day is a full mara, unlike this!) and found when it came to the actual event I was recovering much better than I expected. As I say though, the distances in the build up to it were much shorter, well, 13.1m road, 5.2m hill, 8.4m hill, 3m beach, day off, 26.2m gravel hill track/road.  The third day with the 8.4 hill run was definitely the hardest, very tough terrain, maybe also there's something about the 3rd day in terms of fatigue? By the time it came to the last day mara I was feeling fine again, despite not having that traditional taper period.

• T-Rex. Good job fella. I'll take the rests and stiffness over that sort of sillinessimage.

I reckon day 2 may be the psychologically hard one but day three seems to have the toughest terrain. I guess I wont know till I try.

Watched the youtube vids last night and it looks like they had good weather this year. Here's hoping for 2010. All carrying rucksacks too so I will need to get training with those after Xmas.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

I took rests!!  The odd 10 minutes here and there.  Any more and I would have seized up.

I'll check out this event nearer the time.  Enjoy your summer running and other adventures, people.

• You too T-Rex, have a good one image.

Well........I've entered now imageimage imageimage wavering between excited and happy to be looking forward to the challenge, and downright sh!te-ing it at the thought of what is to come image!!

Plenty of time for some good quality training to begin though image....well, thats what I'm telling myself now image.

• Well done Tigerspaw! I'm not brave enough to enter quite yet!

My thinking is that if Eddie Izzard can be running 30 miles a day for charity and he's just finished his 11th day then surely I can manage 3 days?

I'll end up not training as usual and then panicking a few weeks to go. It was the same with the Half-Ironman. I 'forgot' (was too lazy) to train until 6 weeks before and then didn't get chance to taper properly!

• Well done TP. That's the ticket. See you on the start line.

LL, you know you want to...

• Thanks Bob, see you there next year.

Go on Lou-Lou, get that entry in image. Its amazing how much pressing that 'enter' button focuses the mind toward what is to come image image image image.

I was gonna do the Loch Ness marathon this October with a view toward getting a new mara pb, but now I'm looking at it as a 'training run' toward this event, because a) dont want to risk injury, and b) looking at longer term goal now, one-off speed not important imageimage.

Still scooting about looking at accommodation options. Might spend a few days in Lyme Regis after the event.......might not have the legs left to be able to walk out onto that squinty pier they filmed in the French Leutenants Woman though image image.

• i also did the JCC this year and thinking about entering next year. The only reason I have not yet entered is that the oner may be running the same weekend this year. If it is I will be going for that.

Bear.. you said about booking the lugger, the event will not be based there next year, it`s all down at chesil bank holiday park. But for anyone thinking about entering, go for it, you wont be dissappointed. It`s a great event, and the VO2 people really know how to organise an event and look after you.

tigers paw... Day 1 is not too bad, the climb over Golden cap not long after the start is as bad as it gets.

Day 2.. starts flat with a short but sharp climb onto Portland, then it`s downhill and flat on roads to half way, after that the hills start. Osmington Mills through to the finish at Lulworth.

Day 3.. There are climbs and steep descents from the off.. Levels out after CP1. This year we had to detour away from the path slightly, which took the distance to 30.5 miles. There are some steps at St Adhelms head just before CP 2 ( half way ) after that gently undulating to Swanage. One last climb over ballard down into Studland then the long drag over the beach to the finish.

T-rex.. Well done on the Oner.. Maybe you can give us some tips for next year?

So if it`s not the same weekend as the Oner I am in.. Until then it`s off to Cornwall for me tomorrow, i`m running in the other VO2 event, the atlantic coast challenge next weekend, same format as this ..

• Thanks for posting the JCC route info Valleyboi and Good Luck with the upcoming ACC image.

Have been lurking a little on the ACC thread to pick up training tips, and will be interested to hear how everyone gets on as I'm really keen to do the ACC next year too if my legs hold out ok in March.

I'm not really that familiar with the lay of the land In Dorset, interesting to see there will be a road section on Day two. I'm going to stay down there the week before the event so I can check out some of the route and make a bit of a holiday out of it.

Hope all goes well for everyone in Cornwall image.

• Thanks .. if it is the jcc I am running in i am also going down the week before, maybe take a run out over some of the route if you would like?
  • Thanks Valleyboi, that would be useful. I like to know what I'm letting myself in for with these things, even if I end up just walking some sections of it during the week.
  • Hi Everybody

Well I have just entered imageimageimageimage I have only ever done 4 marathons so not quite sure what I am thinking. I fear I may have been rather a fool!

It's gonna be fun though image.

• Well done Mr Guy. You are not alone. I have only done four standalone marathons too. The prospect of almost doubling my tally in one weekend is somewhat daunting but strangely attractive...
  • Welcome to Mr Guy - another nutter joins the fold imageimage.

Yep, about the same for me - on the marathon front I'm not too far ahead of you guys. I'm doing Loch Ness in two weeks time, so that will only be number 6 for me. Then it will be no more until this image.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Valleyboi - are you doing the little outing in Pembrokeshire as well??  You're clocking up your marathons.

I will be doing the Oner or nothing, I'm afraid.  I can give a few tips, although I was the last but one of the 28 finishers who made the 24-hour cut-off.  I would like to improve that placing, and know where I can knock at least an hour off (not getting lost on Portland in the middle of the night image).  I was in 10th place before that incident.

Must email Votwo and see what's going on.

• Thanks chaps that makes me feel better!

I have the New Forest Marathon this weekend then I am going to get stuck into the training. I also have Beachy Head Marathon and Doyen of the Downs (30 mile) lined up to so that will all help. I haven't booked accommodation yet but the package looks pretty good, I am mostly thinking about the food was it any good last year Valleyboi?  

• T Rex did you also run the Jurassic this year? I watched the video of the oner and saw you on there. As far as marathons up until the JCC this year I had never ran more than a half marathon. I am down in Cornwall at the moment getting ready to do the Atlantic coast challenge this weekend.

I was staying at Lugger last year so I could not comment on the food. But I did hear good things.

I dont know about pembrokeshire as I am doing the Brecon Beacons Ultra at the beginning of September. I am hoping that next year the oner is on a different date to the JCC as I am hoping to do all 4 of the VO2 ultra`s next year. portland was bad enough to navigate by day so not surprised you got off course at night.