Votwo Jurassic Coast 3-Day Challenge 78.6

Comments

• That is odd Bear, it seems silly to close the check points to walkers if they have to stay there anyway for the runners.   
  • BA.. from memory you cant really go wrong from Charmouth through to Golden Cap, the path there is quite well worn and easy to follow. Also as you approach Golden Cap you will see the route over it easily from a distance going straight up and then zig zag towards the top.

Bear, I really would not think that you would get turned away from an open checkpoint, I agree with Mr Guy, if it`s open then you should get your number recorded and allowed to go on.

Good news also if the weather forcast stays as Jules posted, the next ten days down there is supposed to be dry so hopefully will not be so muddy! image

• Thanks Valley, it should be OK but T Rex said he and a few others went wrong last year on the top and so I did not fancy doing the same this year in the dark. Also it will be my only hill training image

My weather stone is still saying dry right up to midnight on 27th so should be nice and dry underfoot, fingers crossed tho as a big black cloud has just passed overhead!

• Bear - I'm sure it will be fine - the organisers will want us all to finish so I'm sure they'll sign you through. Everyone is going to be changing pace and getting slower as the day goes on! ...well most of us mere mortals in any case.

BA - we did golden cap on teh coastal CTS last year and it was very clear going up to the top and over the top from my memory. Bliddy steep though...it hurt like hell coming down it as it was around mile 24 and my poor legs were  battered to pieces by then! I look forward to seeing it again!

• Bp - I think they just haven't thunk it through - they even have an earlier finishing time for the walkers which makes nonsense of a staggered start!   
  • oh that is odd - maybe just an admin error? Unless they have some extremely swift walkers!

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

If they're LDWA types you'll have a hard job keeping up with them!!

I'd contact organisers to confirm checkpoint timings.  The last thing you want is worrying about being timed out even though you're keeping up the necessary speed.

BeedlesAbout - it shouldn't be dark by Golden Cap with the new start, but probably will be not many miles afterwards.

I can't wait to hear all the post-race reports.  I'm going to have to have another go in 2011, I think.

• Have stopped fretting - if they do stick to CP times then will be transported back to start very early on and will get well stuck into free beer image!!
  • image You do not know how fast I will be running T Rex  and I agree with you on the LDWA speed kings, some do shift along at a far old rate on knots.

I am still waiting for the instructions and what we need that is different from the 3 day event

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

You need some insanity, for one thing (or perhaps you've got that already!!)

Seriously though, the main thing is the list of extra overnight gear to leave with the ROs at the start in their van and listed above on an earlier post.  Don't forget headtorch, and some spare batteries.  And a back-up headtorch (e.g. Petzl e-lite) so that you can see to change the batteries (bet you didn't think of that, eh?)  But more than likely you'll fall in with a few others going at your speed overnight.

In 2009 I was in a group after dark.  We were in positions roughly 10th-14th at about the 30-mile point.  Unfortunately I lost them about 0100 soon after entering Portland.  Well, the other three went the wrong way continuing up the road when the SWCP goes behind the houses and up the cliff on the western side of Portland.  Never saw them again.  One of them finished 3rd, another 5th and first lady.  The  third member of "my" group pulled out at mile 65 with exhaustion whilst in 4th place.  He did very well to get that far - he hadn't even run a marathon before.  We cheered him at the marathon point and told him that he only had two more to go - straightaway.  I finished 27th image and only 11 minutes inside the cut-off.

• I thought they would have been posted by now. I know they said approx 2 weeks before. Hopefully they will go up over the weekend.

• So you took the hard way up onto Portland T-Rex. I remember that climb from jcc last year not a real long climb but steep.  
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Yes, there's a gap in the wall at the top.  I took a breather there and looked back to see far below a little row of three headtorches.  I assumed this was the rest of "my" group and they had found the narrow way that leads to life that few find, so I waited a long time for them to come up.  When they finally got to me it was a different threesome!!
  • Ah Ha T Rex I thought about the head torch and had a cunning plan as baldrick would have said.

I got a nice new  Petzl Myobelt XP Head Torch with claimed "Up to 90 hours optimum " battery life so no need to change batteries. Well thats what the sales blurb says, do you think I should trust them? 

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Yes, but take the batteries any way!  Oners have quite a severe kit check, military style.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Hope all the three-dayers don't mind all this Oner talk too much.  Doubtless there are some things you can glean from our ramblings.  I personally would find running three consecutive marathons over three days harder than doing them all at once.  I take my hat off to you guys.
  • Oh no image  I thought I was finished with them.... But I would have carried spares anyway as  I do not trust battery life, but it should see me through.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Indeed, the new dawn will come at some point.
  • Well it looks like you chose a good day to head to the coast BA. Hope all goes well down there. Let us know later what the conditions are like on the paths.
  • Hi All,

Well if the weather on the race day is like today it will be a glorious, the sun was out and no wind.
    I started at the car park in charminster on the beach and as such got an extra hill inimage I must be mad!

Best of all there was minimal mud, for the most part it was very dry  I went as far as Abbotsbury.The only patches were as you go down off of golden cap towards Seatown in the wood (places to get around it) and the usual bogy bits by Cogden Beach, Burton Mere. If the weather holds out as my weather stone suggests it should all dry up nicely.Not many places to get lost on this stretch, most pathes are very clear to the eye and detours are minimal.

I would agree with Birdy Pie in that going up Golden Cap was a struggle I managed to run half way up also going down is steep image  On some of the other down sections where you might have been able to run down (I use that word run loosely) you are hampered by the steps that have been inserted.

Other than that all went well and we should all have a very nice time!   image

• Hey BA, glad to see you made it back without needing your headlamp torch, thought you might have been tempted to do some night running!

• I forgot to mention the singing birds, butterflies and glorious views image
  • All sounds glorious - paws crossed the weather keeps dry image.
  • details for Oner are posted
  • reading them now, just about to post same note.... here.. we go!
  • Just looked through them and no shocks, only about thr ranges it says " The ranges are open to the public on 1st and 2nd August 2009 - image I take it we do not have to go round the roads but stay on the path?
  • Yes BA, the path runs  right along side the perimeter of the ranges, you will see a few burned out tanks that they use as targets along the way. No surprises in the info, has anyone tried this Elete drink? Do we have to go to their website to request it? I usually use Zym.

Glad to hear things went well yesterday.

• Valleyboi, yes looks like you have to order it from website and they deliver it to Votwo registration, but it's not clear is it!   It's not free either. which I had thought from details if might have been... Never used it, Red Bull and jellybeans always done the trick for me but then I'm not a marathon runner, just supportive enthusiast but hope to catch up with you all sometime on Sat afternoon before registration.

All you other 3-day runners, the timings of Oner and 3-day events very close on the Sunday finish, so hope to see you all there, and will cheer you on, if I can, will try and get to a CP on your run to say hi before racing back to Oner CP, have realised I'm going to be driving back and forth all day/night to keep up.

Oners - just how many are you now?  I've only counted 3 on this web forum, so it's going to be a close run thing!

• Thanks Valley, it should be OK but T Rex said he and a few others went wrong last year on the top and so I did not fancy doing the same this year in the dark. Also it will be my only hill training image

My weather stone is still saying dry right up to midnight on 27th so should be nice and dry underfoot, fingers crossed tho as a big black cloud has just passed overhead!

• I see the race has been converted to Kilometers.. I had a bit of a shock when I saw the 5.2 average pace image

I am going to convert it all back to miles as 78.3 Miles seems shorter than 126.5 Kilometers!