Votwo Jurassic Coast 3-Day Challenge 78.6

Comments

• Hi folks, all the best, especially those of you heading off well in advance of Friday's start.  Hope to catch some of you at the CPs, don't know which one(s) I'm looking after yet, but good luck all.

• TRex - thanks - but the terror stays - I did it (or some of it) last year!!
  • Weather will be fine .... trust me I am a doctor  image

On the kit side mine is very strait forward! What I start with stays on till the end 2XU compression tights and long sleeve top, I only have one pair or running shoes so they will have to do, Asics DS Trainers with sorbothane inserts. Obligatory bits of kit, gels, sports bars and that is that, I travel light very light
  • Well my last training run never happened  - came down with a bliddy stomach virus on friday which totally wiped me out. I do wish people would stop bringing these bugs into the office!! Anyway thankfully feeling much better today but going to just rest and be sensible. Have thrown some kit in a corner but not quite ready to pack yet! Hope everyone else is OK - BA hope that cold disappears!
  • Did last session yesterday and wished I hadn't.  Mizzled all day, supposed 'top of range' waterproof leaked like a seive and paths so slippy had to go slower downhill than up, but still managed to fall over twice and had to travel back on train wearing sodden, muddy trousers.

Am refraining from starting packing just yet - otherwise I'll just forget what I've packed and have to unpack to check (probably 5 mins before due to leave and catch train).

Bp, take care - you'll have to double up carbo loading to make up for deficit, BA hope that cold stays away, but if not with luck should be over worst by Friday.

• Thanks BP I have resorted to Beechams all in one! The advert perported to keep an army at bay - it needs to at the moment image
  • Oh dear Bear that sounds miserable - still all done now. You are exactly like me - I always end up packing three times too much kit as I've forgotten whats at the bottom of the bag! Have been to supermarket and stocked up on carbs so looking at a day of rebalancing the fluids and topping up. Life always keeps you on your toes hey!

I'm breaking my trail shoes in by wearing them round the flat - not ideal but will get afew miles in them tomorrow. They feel much more comfortable than my old ones so hopefully we'll be friends still this time next weekend! BA- I can also recommend sudafed- powerful stuff that ! But probably best not to mix your medicines!

• Hi all, how are we all doing? the Beechams all in one seems to be containing my !!!! so finger crossed. I hope every one else is well and now looking forward to the day. I am Just looking over the route again but it is still not any shorter.
  • Glad to hear that BA. The cold I mean not the route getting shorter!! Cant wait to get going now. Last day in work tomorrow, will be heading down to Weymouth Wedsneday. Keep rubbing that stone. image
  • <<wibble>>

....in a sort of excited/terrified way!!

• Started the rally hard part of training today - stuffing my faceimage.
  • Me too Bear, I am settling into the "siting down and eating cake phase" of my training very nicely. image
  • And me! This is the part of training I'm most comfortable with
  • I've just found some lovely fruit cake in the back of the deep freeze - 'im indoors' said bin it - I ate it insteadimage.
  • Good on you bear I would have done the same lol I have just had on of those advertised hoter than hot pizzas image It was but did clear nose a bit.

I cannot see weather stone - must be fog, oh yes thick fog so it does work

• This morning i've eaten 2 bagels, 4 donuts (someone's birthday in the office!) a jacket spud with Tuna, 2 banana's, a packet of skittles all washed down with gallons of water image....and alarmingly i'm still peckish image

If I could run like i eat i'd win the Olympic marathon image 

....off to lunch now.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Hope you're all beginning to catch the excitement.  You've got all your gear together.  Plotted the route onto maps.  Done all your hill training.  Whatever you do ... don't panic.

Looking forward to those reports ...

• ahhh...maps...thanks t rex...I knew there was something else I needed to do tonight! Nearly packed! will finish off tomorrow afternoon.

Now pass the carbs please!

• maps! what maps? I thought they were issued at registration each dayimage
  • They are Blakey but some of us have bought maps so we can have a nosey at the route before hand.

This is probably a really stupid question but I'm going to ask it anyway...the kit list says we need to have 'long trousers or tights'. If I'm wearing tights do I need to carry an extra pair or are the ones I'm wearing sufficient?

• Was going to bring you all cake for the end, but looks like you're all tucking in already! lol

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

I found the issued maps to be rather small (1:50 000 scale, reduced).  For this sort of running I usually cut out 1:25 000 map excerpts with the route marked on and paste them in strips onto a few pages of A4 that can go into a map case.  Ortlieb do a good case made of flexible material that you can roll up into an easy-to-carry tube while you're running, or tuck into your belt.

If you do this be sure to make the "strips" wide enough.  It's easy to go "off the strip"  (like I did last year) and then you haven't got a clue where you are.

Again I suppose all this is more important for Oners who will have a far greater likelihood of getting lost. I would feel woefully unprepared if I waited for maps to be issued at registration just before a 24-hour race.

I'll leave someone else to answer about the tights.  I would have thought the one pair would be enough. I ran it in shorts last year and took waterproof tights in my bag.

• On the tights or any other bit of compulsory kit , it says in the instructions "carry or be wearing" so one pair is fine. If you fancy carrying more that is up to you and level of comfort you require.

Jules - Cheese and Crackers please image

• Thanks guys, I obviously didn't read the distructions properly!

I woke up this morning and had butterflies, I'm really quite nervous!

• I'm really trying not to be but am totally nervous!! Looking forward to hopefully meeting up with you all tomorrow evening at the pasta party! I'll be the pale nervous looking tall blonde...

Bear - I'm going to head to sainsbury's on the way and pick up some supplies for the 'van!

• Last minute nerves keep coming and going with me. I am looking on the positive for it now; I am going to spend 3 days doing the hobby I love so that can't be bad right! I have all my compulsory kit sorted and in a nice pile, will be packing the rest of my stuff tonight and tomorrow I have the day off to get anything I need and travel to Weymouth. I might go for a nice walk and check out some of the rout but as rain is forecast I will probably just take the chance to stay warm and dry!  
  • just took a peak at weather. Friday and Saturday look OK...sunday sounds a bit grim - rain. Bummer.
  • Where are you looking? I have just checked Metcheck and they say Saterday is the only day of rain Friday and Sunday look much the same.  Of course I am only looking at the weather for Weymouth which might be the reason.
  • http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/3081?&search=weymouth&itemsPerPage=10&region=uk 

Sunday definitely looks like the bad one at the moment. Not good for the poor ONERs.

• Damn that looks grim! I would feel sorry for the ONERS but I don't think they are normal anyway, they probably like that sort of thing image