Votwo Jurassic Coast 3-Day Challenge 78.6

Comments

• Hi all... got back to London this morning... don't know about you runners, but as BA's support crew - I'm exhausted!  My man didn't quite finish, but a sterling effort, but I'll let him tell you all.

Was great to meet some of you over the weekend and put names to faces... I think next time (if we're that mad!), we should all meet up, would much prefer my man to do 3 x 1 day events, than the Oner, the weather and mud was awful and you should see the state of my car as I hightailed it to every check point, think I've blown the head gasket, so it's off to garage tomorrow - just what I need for Easter.image

Thought the event was great, runners even better, and at least whilst I waited at each CP, I was able to help a few injured bodies with their calf musles with a quick massage each.

To be honest I don't know how you all kept going in those conditions but I've met some great supporters of other Oners - only two others had support, so we bonded whilst we waited anxiously each CP.

All the best to you all and hope you're all busy resting, BA's been working all day, so no rest!

• Hi all, great to be back.

What a fabulous weekend, brilliantly organised, great food and booze, and a special shout to the support team who were wonderful, especially at check points when it was most needed.....but the course was brutal image

Birdypie, lovely to meet you on the last day and thanks for the support and especially the ibuprofen gel. I wouldnt have finished without it.

Unfortunately my prognosis of shin splints was way off the mark. I spent this afternoon in Kingston A&E. I'm now hobbling around on crutches, but feeling proud that I ran (walked!) one and a half marathons with a stress fracture to my right Tibia (Shin)....at least I have a decent excuse for the crap time now.

Hope everyone heals and gets back running soon. I'm out for a month now image and will miss out on London next month......but there's always Berlin!

• Bp thanks for everything - company, fun and lift back to station..

Managed same  proportion of event as last year, all of day 1, 3/4 day 2 and slightly less1/2 than day 3, but  leap frogged to final section day 2 so did hilly bits rather than terminating after Weymouth as I did last year

Not feeling too bad about performance considering was almost on hands and knees to get through final muddy section day 1  in the dark whereas last year the ground had been dry.

Congratulations to all who completed it and max respect to the oners!!

• OW! Blakey OMG?! Can't believe you struggled through with that - hugely heroic performance! Surely you should have had two trophies for that. No worries on the ibuprofen gel - I am still covering my legs in it on a daily basis!

Kiwi - lovely to meet you - sorry to hear BA didn't make it round. I take off my hat to all of the Oners that even tried it. The conditions on the first 26 miles were dire and the thought of ploughing through that at night...well I couldn't have done it!  Any news from ValleyBoi?

Bear - no problem - hope you had a lovely journey home. I wish I had been on the train as the drive was a struggle. I feel terrible still today - so tired! Pass the coffee and cake please!

BTW...anyone doing the Atlantic Challenge later this year?!

• Hi All

I thought the race was good. Tough, very tough in parts but I got round and finished 57th over all so quite pleased with that. Especially as by mile 6 on day one the only thing I was hoping for was not to be sick on myself!

I have bags of respect for the Oners, seeing some of them on day 3 you could tell it took its toll.

I am not going to complain here because I don’t want to take the shin off people’s achievements but I feel quite let down by Votwo and I am going to write a letter of complaint. A few things have really put a damper on the event for me.

• Mr Guy, congratulations on your position of 57th, fantastic effort.

come on spill the beans, what / who has upset you?

Birdypie, will definately do the Atlantic but not this year, going to concentrate on Berlin this year 

• yes Mr G I too am intrigued. There were afew things I am going to drop them a line about but the organisation generally worked for me. 57th is just amazing - well done you!

Blakey - lightweight! Berlin should be great fun. Hope the leg heals up nice and quickly. Are you OK to defer your London place?

• Thank you both

Ok well this might sound petty but I was annoyed about the lack of food for evening meals. Every night I wasn’t given enough and when I asked for more was told no as there was other runners to feed. Ok that’s fair enough, I think it is a bit shoddy that there would be the possibility of running out but I wouldn’t want somebody to turn up and not get anything. And then I turn up on Monday for breakfast to find there was not cooked food left. So given the amount I paid to be fed and the fact that the instructions said “The outdoor catering company ‘Food ’ have been hired to supply hot meals in the evening and at breakfast. Their remit is to provide as much quality food as you can eat!” I feel a bit peeved.

I also think the end on the last day was a bit of a let down. I crossed the line one person said well done and I then had to go and find the person to get my memento off and then had my picture take with some random bloke! I think that for the effort we runners put in they should have made more of a big deal about us finishing. I also think they should have had some sort of prize giving on the last evening. I felt like it was a case of “Right I’ve got your money you’ve crossed the finish line now bugger off”. There was a few other little things like Ben getting the arse on day 3 when somebody asked for a weather report.

I though the race itself was well organised and felt confident that if anything had of happened to me there was things in place to make sure I didn’t die. Which is the most important thing I suppose. I might do a race with them again but everything else I would arrange myself.  

Well done to you both as well, it was one hell of a challenge.    

• Mr G - those were exactly the points I wasn't happy with. I didn't think there was enough carb on offer. The low point for me was the curry without rice night - I had to go back to the caravan and eat a ton of cake but still woke up hungry the next day. Given they are dealing with people who are going through a ton of calories they need to increase the food on offer. I was gutted there was no hot breakfast on monday - went back to the caravan, drove home and had a burger king at winchester! I think most of the folk I spoke to were a bit disappointed with the food portions. HOpefully its something they can resolve in future though.

It was a hell of a challenge....now I just have to get my body back together for the 50 miler I have in three weeks! image

• It was still much better than last year when the event was based at The Lugger Inn, where most of us had our evening meal, but we were actually staying at a caravan park several miles away and had to be bussed to and fro.  As the site shop was shut evey night before I got back I had nothing for breakfast and on the last night we were just dropped at the site and there was nowhere open to get a meal.  I had to go wandering the streets at 10pm to find somewhere to buy food.
  • MrG, fair points well made.

The only decent sized plate of food i got was at the BBQ, otherwise the portions were quite tight, especially the pork and lamb. I'm a big eater at the best of times so needed more. I didnt have the energy or legs to walk to the breakfast tent, so missed the non-existant breakfast on monday......thank god for Little Chef!

I was in too much pain to complain about the luke warm finish but think the "trophy" was crap. My missus has one exactly the same for the sport relief mile she did the week before!

I think the staff and support team were fantastic, but on the two occasions i tried to talk to Ben he was a bit moody. I put it down to tiredness and pressure of organising everything, but smiles are not hard to do.image

Now you've got me going..................One thing that did miff me was the massages. I paid for 3 in advance, £30......only to find that when us slower guys turned up after each run all the slots had been booked and was offered a massage at 10.30pm........i was normally asleep by 9pm, so that could have been better organised.

I'm gonna stop moaning now cos it sounds like a crap weekend which it wasnt, just a few things that could be improved on.

• That does sound awful Bear. I am not usually the type to complain but I think the event is going to get bigger and unless they are made aware they won't be able to fix things. I did enjoy the event and I am still really glad I did it.  

Which 50 miler is it your doing BP?

• Highland Fling - Glasgow up to Tyndrum. Trying not to think about it today as I just barely made it to the snack shop to get some crisps. My poor aching legs!! Mind you can't complain in the presence of Crazy Blakey with his stress fracture!

• crazy!? who said i'm crazy?.....cookoo image

• Yes that's hard core Blakey, 1 and a half marathons with a stress fracture! Good look then BP, I am having April off from racing. My girlfriend is doing her first marathon so I will be on the supporting side of things. Then in May I am doing the Marlborough downs challenge, only 33 miles so just a little jog really! I met some great people over the weekend. I love the way that at these things everybody is always really encouraging for each other and willing to help each other out.  
  • Absolutely Mr G - met some brilliant people over the weekend. Really made the event for me. The support on the course was fantastic and everyone from the front runners to the back of the field was so positive! Even the leaders had time to say well done - incredible!
  • Hi guys, glad to hear you're all back and ok, except poor Blakey - OMG - what an effort given injuries.

re. the food - have to agree, the Oners had very little to keep them going, and at night when hot food was meant to be on offer, the pasta was cold/luke warm, I had loads of hot supplies of soup for BA to keep him going and organised all his food/tea/caffine etc. 

Re. massages, I think they need someone at each CP - I was and helped out loads with sore calves and a groin injury (that was fun!), but realistically from a supporters point of view, I was pretty miffed at lack of encouragement from some CP staff when this was such a hard run/walk/crawl.

I know BA will put his penny in when he's feeling up to it / has time - he's got a pretty sore left foot/shin/toe - swollen up big time, but ice helping, but working through it... I asked him today about Atlantic Challenge !  We'll see.... 

We'd like to know how many Oners were over 40, over 50 etc. so he can see how he really did compared to the youngsters!

Haven't heard from Valleyboi - but saw in the results he came in, so that's an achievement.  Very sad to see no. 3 Oner collapsed into a coma and taken to hospital.

On a brighter note, I'm back off to Cornwall for Easter to check out more hills - must be mad. see you all again one day.  take care.

• Bests to BA Kiwi! Hope he is recovering well. Thats awaful news about the 3rd placed Oner - hope he's OK? Glad to hear VB made it round and hopefully is enjoying a well deserved rest somewhere.

Enjoy Cornwall! Don't tell me about the hills....that's to worry about in October!

• What a tough weekend, well done everyone!!

Very close to jacking it in on the third day but somehow managed to pull it out of the bag. I've got some pretty big infected bits on my feet but thats nothing compared to some people so I won't moan!

Regarding the food, I spent the whole weekend feeling extremely naseous so actually ate very little but running out of rice on friday was pretty terrible. The curry was lovely but maybe would have been better on the sunday night as early on saturday morning I had to take a fair few immodium tablets and I know I wasn't the only one!

Birdy Pie I do believe I talked to you on sunday when we were walking up the steps. Was it you I talked to about only having short legs and you said you had long legs and were still struggling as the steps were so high?? I was swearing rather a lot if that helps jog your memory....!

• Glad to hear you all got through and enjoyed the weekend, well most of it.

First I would like to say a real big thanks to Jules for helping me up on Portland. I`m sorry to say Jules I did not make the finish, I wish I had but will be back next year. It was great to meet you and BA at the start. Just back from Physio I have a torn Medial ligament and both the lateral and and acl are badly swollen, so no running for a while. Jules do you mean number 3 as in bib number or 3 over the line?

I have always been the first to shout about how great V02 were at events sadly this time they fell well short, no food at checkpoints was one of many complaints I have. There were a few " ONERS" that were cutting corners and taking short cuts which I found very disappointing. Some did not even bother to hide the fact. Up on Portland after the bill cp they did not even go back down into the quarry after the short road section, just carried onto the prison. This was one of many examples.

I have to disagree about the safety. After being pulled off for going 4 mins over at a cp after covering 2/3rds distance, despite having 11.5 hrs to cover the last 30 miles I made my own way back to Weymouth. Showered, packed the car and had drove as far as Dorchester when I received a phone call from a check point asking was I ok? Told him I had been pulled he knew nothing about it. Ok so mistakes happen. Nearly 4 hrs after being pulled and more than half way home up the M5 I got a call from another cp asking was I ok and did I need assistance? This I am sorry to say was a bloody disgrace, what if someone had really had a problem and needed help?

Sorry if I sound bitter, I am not, justy bloody angry. I know rules are rules so I got pulled for being late, but in my honest opinion I would say the ONER was run on the cheap, just an easy money saving event to add onto the JCC instead of runing it in it`s own right. Shame on you V02. This is one runner you have lost from the ACC in September, not that I suppsoe they will be that bothered!!!

• Valleyboi - sorry, I thought you had finished, I saw your first name and thought - yep, that's you, so sorry you didn't make it either... glad I could help out at Portland and sorry the leg not too good.!

Re. Portland - you're right, loads of Oners (I caught about 5) deliberately shortcutting down the road when I left the Bill CP, so was not amused so I reported it at the next CP as it's not fair....as they had a clear 1 hour advantage.

Re. safety - we had our own little drama as BA was going to be very close to late for a CP and they called out the search and rescue, phoned all his relatives, when in fact he'd been told to divert to a farmhouse so I could collect him - anyway, seems like they weren't really on the game at some cps and at others over doing it - we had it under control, I had the thermos and thermals ready, if he'd carried on to the next CP, he would have been very close to the time and then they tell me afterwards they held all runners for an hour due to fog (coast guard), so he could have probably rested and then carried on down the hill and flat bits - he only had 10 miles to go.... very disappointing for us both, but I'm proud of his efforts, it's the participating that counts not the finishing.

On the positive, I had a great time, albeit he owes me a big dinner sometime and lots of chocolates!

• Valleyboi - number 3 across the line - Helen (first lady across) in fact, collapsed after completing, fitted and went unconscious and taken off by ambulance, I'm not sure how she it, one minute talking to the supporters of another Oner (Holtys and Rosco in the truck) then next thing they knew, she keeled over and ended up with drip and all the drama... hope she's ok, but I guess we won't hear from VO2.

And, also, Oner event needs to be higher profile not just an add on - only one photo of a Oner at the end as far as I can tell.

Enough winging.... must eat now before I get too tired.,

• Hi all,
    Sad to say I did not quite make it all the way round and If I had known that we was going to be treated to a 1 hour rest due to fog/mist I may well have made it. I was 2 miles from St Albans check point with the mist rolling in - it's cold stuff, when I knew I would not make the check point and opted for a pick up but on hind sight it would have been just as quick to the check point as both were about 2 miles.
    I agree with Vallyboi, that close we should have been given some leeway and discretion. More annoying for me as it will only show me to the checkpoint beforeimage

I think the getting lost on Portland put the mental mockers on things as it lost my nice time safety buffer and of course the cloggy mud image.  I went into work next day and apart from a visit to walk in centre as my foot had swollen up somewhat, but they said what do you expect after running that distance image So I am quite pleased with body and how it stood up for it's age image

After getting slightly lost a couple of times and doing the usual "Starting to fast",  the mud and of course the hills I think I enjoyed it. More important as these are a challenges - hats off to all of us who took part because that what it is all about, making the effort and just doing it!. The 33 that completed the challenge had the same mud and hills as me too, so well done to you, but I think some did adjust the course to their advantage millage wise as has been mention above.
  • Just  one other thing about support and safety calls, the mobile signal in some places was dire and I lost signal a few times when I needed it. So I asume others including the checkpoints had the same issues.
  • And I have left the last bit for Jules who, without sterling support would not have done as well as I did. All of you I suspect, who met would not dissagree that Jules is something special helping not just me but many others as well in a selfless carring way.

Thank you  image

• I managed to get through cp3 on day 3 just before they closed it, and ended up on the final hill top not being able to see 10 feet in front of me due to the mist. Then out of nowhere a VO2 guy appeared and said we were being redirected as the coast guard wanted us off the cliif. He told me to follow a foot path in a NW direction "although I've no idea where it goes!!" he said, until i hit the town of studland (I think!). Unfortunately I think he meant to say go in a NE direction...........so i got completely lost for about 30 mins.

So there I am all alone on mist covered hill top, the edge of a cliff nearby, with the map reading ability limited to the london underground tube map, and not having used a compass since primary school, although that compass held a pencil and you used it to draw circles (!) ........

Just as I started recalling the horrors of the movie "The Mist", I heard Michael Jackson's "Billy Jean" coming from the mist..........wow this nurofen is strong stuff I thought...........but no, it was a walking group with a stereo in their back pack, and together we found our way back to the coastal path and the final three miles. My relief at finishing and not being murdered on the spooky hill top suppressed any anger at being misdirected by Mr NW Bloke.image 

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

I can't tell you guys how sorry I am to hear about your less-than-positive experiences.  When I did it in 2009 I certainly did not put this event in the value-for-money category either!  And some terrible injuries sustained. I wish you well in your recoveries.

And I suppose poor weather and difficult underfoot conditions meant you weren't really enjoying the course very much, either.

All this seems to have coloured your experiences.  But don't forget running isn't always only this! Remember the camaraderie around the course and all the challenges you did manage to overcome.  Including starvation!!  An unexpected extra challenge!

Birdypie - you can look forward to The Highland Fling.  Incredibly friendly and helpful organisers.  There is a thread running for it, I think in the "ultra" topic.

• Could not agree more about Jules BA, I owe her a very big thank you for the help she gave me on Portland.

T-Rex. I will be back there next year to finish, it will not beat me! Maybe see you there. lol.

• wow - VB glad you are back safe though sorry to hear you didn't complete. I hope that knee recovers swiftly. The safety issues do sound like a real concern. It sounds to me as if they need to treat the Oner as a separate event - I suspect the marshalls were tired as well from being out all day which is not what you need. As to folk cheating - i just don't get that. You enter an event to complete the course...I really can't understand people that can do that and take their trophy home with a clear conscience.

Hopefully some feedback to the organisers will lead to some improvements in the future.

big hugs to all of you - I think you are all just brilliant for even attempting such a tough event.

Splat - yes I remember that! Nice to meet you! Those steps were ridiculously large the whole way round the course! I think I finally lost my rag somewhere round Chapmans Pool with steps in general. I can look back with a smile now though. And thankfully was smiling in my finishing photo!

T-rex - highland fling is scaring me to bits but i have got a lot of confidence from surviving the weekend - hopefully I'll get to the finish.

Take care all!

• Guys I'm really surprised by some of the negativity. I couldn't think of anything worse than trying to organise something like the JCC and the Oner. Top marks to Votwo IMHO. I'd be grumpy on no sleep since Wednesday setting all that up.

If we want fanfare finishes then we enter the high profile races. Surely these sorts of events are about hard core runners/walkers doing it for their own personal reward. I think it is great that the lunatic Oners get hardly a mention or a photo. Just looking at the finish times amazes me. They know they did it or attempted it. We know they did it and their nearest and dearest definitely know they did it.

I feel realy sorry for you guys who didnt complete either the 3 day or the Oner. But nothing I have read suggests the organisers were the reason for DNFs. Maybe a bit more food would be nice but catering for 250+ cant be easy can it. Price wise we had good accomodation and generally enough nosh when we needed it either back at base or out on the course. And if you don't pack some back-up nutrition for an event like that then more fool you.

There were enough massage slots for about 25% of the participants I calculated so many were going to get disappointed there. Gaps appeared if you were that keen as people didnt show up. As far as safety on the course is concerned I think a lot has to be self-managed with this sort of event. They were sweeping from behind and generally we helped each other out.

I've had an awesome weekend that I will remember forever and met a load of really positive people. Hopefully my legs and feet will forget by Easter! Yes it was a challenge and at times I questioned my judgement to be there. I did it, albeit far slower than the front runners. I came 66th overall so mid-pack but I couldnt have done it much quicker without keeling over. My running has always been on-road so to see what you can do off-road has really opened my eyes.

Well done Votwo. (and know I am nothing to do with them but wanted to defend them). Maybe next year...