Votwo Jurassic Coast 3-Day Challenge 78.6

1111213141517»

Comments

• Hey Sweet Feet - I wonder if our paths crossed at the weekend. Glad you had a good one and 66th is brilliant! I'm not whinging I hope - I had a fantastic weekend and am planning on doing the Atlantic later this year. I think its more that there are some areas where VOTWO can improve. As Bear noted earlier - this year was much better than last year so they are moving forward with things. Endurancelife were similar - i think people have had grouches with their events but they are constantly hopeing to improve things.

• By and large I agree with you Sweet Feet but with the caveat that; companies that organise these things for profit should be held to a higher standard than running clubs, individuals or charities that do it for love of the sport.   

• Obviously stingy portions at the evening meal and also running out of water at CP1 on day 3 wasn't ideal but overall I though the organisation was pretty good.

The accommodation was brilliant as was the atmosphere. All vo2 staff members that I spoke to were helpful and understanding that I might be in a less than fantastic mood!

It was a long weekend for us runners but I saw staff having a meeting on friday evening at 10pm when they'd already been on the go since around 6.30am that morning so I think any grumpiness from them can be excused!

Blakey I must have been on the hill in the fog at around the same time as you....I was in a group but it was still really freaky so it must have been awful to be up there on your own!!

• Splat and Blakey - I was in a group that was following me as I had a compass and a vague idea what to do with it - no pressure then! I felt like the Pied Piper! Thankfully we were given the right NNW bearing and found the track...eventually. Certainly added to the adventure!
  • It was easy enough to navigate from CP3, along the beach and up the little track that led to the cliff.....all we did was follow the trail of jelly snakes!!

• Ha ha ha! And of course the all telling marks of trail shoes in the mud!!
  • Hey guys

Finally made it back to Scotland yesterday afternoon....in a snowstorm image....you guys coming up for the Fling be sure to pack some cosy clothes now image, its feckin freezing up here image.

Wow, well, what can I say, I loved it image. Well done to everyone who took part in this, what a brilliant weekend, very tough going in all that mud, and the climbs and descents were far bigger than anything I had imagined, photographs just dont do that scenery justice! I wasnt particularly fast, just kept plodding away at it, and met some great people during the course of the event, the camraderie and helping each other along is definitetly what made this for me image.

All I can say though, is thank god I can read a map!! And I ended up buddying up with a couple of guys on day one, then one of the same guys on day 3, who were good map readers. That fog on day 3 was a nightmare but a group of us working together managed to get a larger group of folks who were lost (including some tourists who were wandering about!) off the hill in one piece.

I agree about the end, it was a total shambles, but probably understandable given the circumstances with the fog. When I got to the finish, Ben was on the phone arguing with the coastguard, votwo staff seemed knackered and shell shocked from being up all night, and nobody seemed to know what bus to get on or what was happening. I asked 4 people which bus, got put on a bus full of Oner kit, then got taken off that, put on another bus which stank of alcohol. Driver came on and drove like a maniac back to Weymouth, clipped 4 roundabouts with the back wheels. Now I'm not saying he was off his face on booze, it may have just been the bus which stank of drink, and he had been up all night so was tired, but I think this is unacceptable when you are being tasked with driving people about. If they are that tired they should not be driving.

Okay thats my mini-rant, and the only negative I found of the weekend. If I do one again I would arrange my own transport at the finish.

Would love to do Atlantic next image.

• Thanks Bp.. Will get sorted now ready for the classic quarter. Got a couple of others I am looking at until then.

Bob, I never suggested V02 were responsible for my dnf,that was my fault for getting on the wrong track on Portland and a knee injury, if that is how it sounded then it was not meant that way and I apolgise. My main complaints were the lack of food, course cutting and lack of communication to CP`s. As BP mentioned earlier why people do this amazes me.Why go through all the training and expense to cheat yourself and only do 90/95% of the challenge?

I ran in both the JCC and ACC last year and had nothing but or heard anything but praise and positive comments about V02. I just think that maybe they should consider running the events as seperate events in the future. One event is tough to organise but 2 side by side like this must have been a nightmare.

Tigerpaw. The ACC imho is the better of the 2 events, there are not so many long climbs, very few in fact. Just a lot more short sharp ones which in no way made it easier. You will run closer to cliffs than on JCC and the scenery is way better especially on day 3.

Hope you all recover soon and have a great year in whatever you are running in, hope to catch up with you all again sometime, BP probably at CTS Dorset. Take care all. It`s been great talking to you all.

• Hi folks,  photo galley is in...check out   http://www.mhonfy.com

His site has photos of all 3 days plus Oner.

Cheers.

• Hi guys, just wanted to add my little bit - absolutely loved it - I wasn't fast, found it incredibly tough, especially day 3, but I'm so glad I took part and managed to finish. I thought overall, the organisation was great. I found the Votwo guys were all friendly and helpful. I didn't really have a problem with the food portions (and I'm a veggie, so had even less choice!), but my other half was often eyeing up my plate as he finished his! I'd certainly do another of their events - maybe Atlantic next year. Nice to have bumped into you on the bus Birdypie - could luck with the fling! Well done to all.

• Sounds as if there were a few genuine issues that do need looking at . . .  but personally I had a really great 24 hours, and am still buzzing from it.

I'm nothing to do with the organisers, but the marshalls and the Votwo guys I met were really great - super helpful. I've only done a couple of ultras, but I really like the low key vibe and emphasis on self-sufficiency, and for me this hit a pretty good balance in providing just enough structure and support.

Anyway - not to dismiss any genuine problems, but I just wanted to counterbalance any negativity and say I had a great time, mud, hills, blisters and all.

Me and running have decided to have a little time apart from eachother for the moment, but hope to meet some of you next time!

• There are some really good photos, I even look like I am running in some of them!

Well done Dave, doing the ONER must have been really tough. You and everybody else who attempted it are legends.

• Hi minnie - lovely to meet you too! I've got a nice post race cold coming on now but who cares. Meeting up with all the friends I haven't seen for weeks tonight to celebrate. Hurrah!
  • Does anyone on hear know or can contact Daryl Farmer !!!!!!!!image Please let me know ASAP
  • I've STILL got a swollen ankle from this event. I have self-diagnosed strained ligaments and have been icing and forgetting to take Nurofen (or similar NSAID) as well as swimming and cycling but NOT running.

My planned participation in the inaugural Brighton Marathon on Sunday week is in the balance.

Enough about me. How is everyone else recovering?

• Yeah the ankles and lower legs took the brunt of this event by the sounds of it image.

I had a swollen ankle last week, finally went down, took a gentle plod on Sunday and the inside ligaments all swelled up again, so decided on more rest!! Got a slight pain at the insertion point where achilles tendon goes into heel bone, but that is just a pre-existing injury getting niggled again, in some respects I'm pleased my dodgy achilles tendon survived the uneven surfaces as well as it did image.......

.....oh and got a bruised collar bone where I tripped and fell face first going up the first set of concrete steps on Portland image...yes, I know, all that mud, cliffs, uneven ground, shear drops etc, and the only place I fall over is on the bloody concrete imageimage.

Take care everyone, that was one hell of an event, we need our rest image....mostly I have needed my sleep imageimageimage.

• Yes I managed a very slow 5 miles last night with all sorts of things going ping in my legs. Am very worried about the Highland Fling...wonder if they would mind if I just get a taxi up to the finish from Glasgow?!

Hope all the injuries heal up quickly! Tigerspaw had no idea you had fallen poor thing - must have been quite a crunch?!

I haven't quite signed up for the atlantic but it is on my to do list for this weekend. What an eejit I am!

• It wasnt too bad Birdypie - more of a shock than anything else....and luckily I was at the back of G3 so only the sweeper chap and another guy with a twisted ankle saw me image. Not as bad as a runner I saw on day one who tried to leap one of the mud covered styles coming down off Golden Cap (as you do image), he cleared the hurdle but his foot landed on the step the other side and he slipped into a kind of 'splits' position imageimage....a few people stopped to help him, but I never saw him again after that......

Latest word on the Fling route is 'muddy' image....maybe I'll have a crack at that next year.....LOL I have a kind of love-hate relationship with WHW having lived in Glasgow so long image. Weather here at moment is glorious, much warmer than its been, but yesterday was torrential rain all day, so prepare for mud glorious mud again, I doubt if it will dry up the path thru Mugdock Park over the next few weeks image. Section thru Rowardennan is on pebble-hardcore so at least that will be dry.

Might join you at the Atlantic BP imageimage.

• Ouuuuch?!?! Ooh that poor runner? Hope he is OK as well!

Oh great...more mud! Well at least I am used to mud now but it is going to slow me down even more! Will make sure I savour the pebble section!

• Hi folks, good to see you're all in good spirits albeit BP you're heading north for another weekend of agony! Crazy....enjoy! 

Re. runner with groin injury - think he arrived at CP7 on Sat when BA and I arrived to cheer you all on, and he was in agony, I gave him some ibruphen gel/spray and chiropractor did a quick 10 minute intimate groin massage - I declined that injury since I had only just arrived... image and felt I couldn't just get in there and fix it! Much prefer the calves and back strains to deal with on these weekends.

Update on Helen (3rd across the Oner line) - she's fine, apparently her muscles just collapsed or something and went into overdrive so appeared to be fitting, but all ok now. 

Think BA still has swollen ankle and very sore shins, suspect he has shin splints and no running just yet - gentle walks along beach!

I'm still catching up on sleep, and the lurgey has finally caught up with me after 4 more days of clifftop weather in Cornwall over Easter, so today was lovely to be in sunshine and warmth, but now I can't sleep due to raw throat, hence it's 3am, so came on line.

Re. Atlantic - if BA doens't do this - very unlikely, I might come down and join anyone from here mad enough as September a lovely month on the coast!  We'll see what happens, happy to be support crew for anyone if they need a CP buddy.

• Hey KJ - hope that sore throat heals up quick. i think quite afew of the JCC survivors seem to have signed up for the atlantic...marbles lost everywhere! Had v painful sports massage last night so feeling a bit bruised this morning. Nothing too massive though she did mention she has never seen my legs in such bad shape. However, hopefully with some tlc and another treatment next week I'll be OK to at least get to the start line of the Fling! ...
  • Hi Bp - have not signed up for the atlantic (massive sigh of relief from Ben and crew) - good luck to you with it.  See you at the Druids' image.
  • Probably very wise Bear....very wise.... See you in November then if my legs haven't fallen off!
  • Hi All

Despite fractured shin, signed up for Atlantic last night, maybe I can break the other leg and even out my limp.....image......so i'm transferring my chit chat to that forum, anyone want to join can follow the link (if it works!)

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?dt=&UTN=134324&V=1&last=1&SP=#last