speeding convictions

Comments

• btw steady, i was only joking about the false plates! (but considering the pneumatic option....)
  • I am sure you were, but people do silly things and get caught.
  • you sound extremely steady in all respects, steady ! or do you just prefer not to get caught letting your hair down ?
  • lestajestalestajesta ✭✭✭
    Travelling around Leicestershire, thinking of speeding Don't do it We have mobile and fixed cameras and they are very effective
    RR
    oink, oink..... LOL, no just trying to be helpful
  • hehe, just when u said that WE have cameras, I thought u were 'one of them'!
    I re-read it and yes it does sound like I am. I used the Royal "we" for some reason..
  • been caught a few times then?!
  • frig, they tell u on the site where all the fixed cameras are, and they give advance notice of where the mobile cameras will be!!!!
  • i wonder what the law is on that though, if you were to get snapped on ur bike at over 30mph (i've hit 35+ a few years ago on a very good downhill)?
    you could probably be nicked for riding without due care and attention or something along those lines, i guess you would only get bother if there were alot of pedestrians about....I would hate to get a puncture at that speed though.... ouch
  • the world record on a micro scooter is something like 45mph, i did try to set off a speed camera with mine (with my young nephew of course) but i couldnt manage it!
  • Has anybody here had a friend or family member killed by a speeding motorist/motorcyclist?
  • It is worth adding that to do anything that allows you to hide your registration number such as an hydraulic device or bit of string carries the same potential sentence as displaying the incorrect number.
  • And so it should Steady. My concern is the motorway speed limit. One of the few sensible policies of William Hague's Tory party was to raise the limit to 80mph on motorways (or at least certain stretches).

No arguments in built up areas, obey the law. But I think that motorways need looking at.
  • re: pneumatic plate - steady - i would only use this on the motorway if it makes u feel better! That way the only person i'm endangering is myself, and hell, lifes full of risks, don't want to sit wrapped all up in cotton wool...........

o, and if i get a bigger bike (Duke 999S), whos gonna catch me?!!!
  • Road Runner, a fatal accident costs the tax payer £1 million. Why should I pay?
  • £1million? how so?
  • sorry, don't mean that to sound like it may have done, i genuinely am intriguied!
  • First there is the extremely expensive cost of attending the accident. Police, Fire and Ambulance. Then there is the inevitable cost of the road closure and the several hours of detours to other innocent people. There is the cost of taking the incredible number of statements from witnesses before and at the time of the "bump". There is the cost to the NHS who will try and save the individual before giving up. There is Coroners Court time to pay for. Then there is always a seperate investigation into whether the road layout and surface may have been contributory in some way. There are often DSS costs to consider which can go on for many years. It works out at £1 million per fatal accident.
  • a climber ventures up K2. Why? Because he likes climbing. He knows the risks, but he does it anyway. He takes a bad fall and is stuck on the mountain. Noone has heard anything from him for days. A search and rescue team is despatched. The rescuers both on foot and helicopter search all day for several days. They eventually find him. He is in a bad state. The foot patrol call for the helicopter and he is subsequently airlifted out. Whether or not he survives, there is a mammoth cost involved in the whole operation.

My point is, the climber enjoys climbing even though he knows the risks
    The motorcyclist enjoys riding with the throttle open now again even though he knows the risks

Its unfortunate that people die taking risks. I don't think its fair to put a price on their lives, and complain because the total cleanup costs overall makes up a few hundred pounds a year of your tax bill.

As long as you are not endangering the lives of other non-consenting individuals, then I don't see why we shouldn't actively embrace risk in our everyday lives. It makes us who we are, it defines us.

Sorry, but thats just the way I feel

(btw, didn't mean to offend with the comment about pigs, its just local slang for the cops)
  • A motorcyclist is endangering the lives of other road users by screaming through country lanes on a Sunday. We're not talking a couple of miles above the limit here but 100mph +! A climber (whilst there are some souls who insist on going out in dangerous conditions) are not directly affecting the rest of the community by their antics.
  • fat facefat face ✭✭✭
    Well said barnsleyrunner.
  • Most mountain climbers dont just "venture up" mountains. The prepare mentally and physically, ensure their equipment is right for the job and in good condition.
    They go into a risky situation and try to minimise the risk.
    Opening a throttle beyond what is usually the riders ability is not similar to climbing a mountain. It is seeking to increase the risk and make other people pay if there is a negative outcome.
  • ok, fair enuf, its the dead of night, i'm travelling down the motorway on my Duke 999S (in a few years!). I have not only passed my Advanced Motorcycling test, but also the Ducati Advanced race-school course. So I open her up a bit, well to about 160mph, say. Noone else is about, I've been trained to ride safely at speed. But I have a tyre blowout (despite checking them both beforehand), or I hit a pothole in the road....

now whats the difference? I've prepared beforehand (by attending the courses), I've checked my equipment, in otherwards, I've attempted to minimise the risk. Because there is noone about, and its a motorway, their is no risk to others. In fact there would be more risk to the search and rescue crew searching for the climber (members of search and rescue teams have been killed)

I know I'm stretching this one to the line, but hey, I love a good debate!!
  • I agree with barsleyrunner, to compare a skilled and trained mountain climber to a motorcyclist is fatuous.

I cannot use factual evidence but I would hazard a guess that 99%+ of all motocyclists have only been trained to the bog standard required to pass their test. Why this should be seen as giving them the skils to ride at such huge speeds is beyond me.

I have known many motorcyclists trained to the very highest standards. In the last 20 years 3 of them have died and 3 more permanently incapacitated in a major way, having received life threatening injuries.

I live on a suburban road with a hillcrest just prior to a T junction. The mouth of this junction cannot be seen on the approach to the hillcrest. Riders/drivers emerging from that junction cannot see over the hillcrest. Further on is a dealership that sells large motorcycles. I am amazed by the speeds I see machines ridden at, particularly on Sunday mornings, as they climb that hillcrest.

I have no problem with the taking of necessary risks, I do so regularly to defend the rights of individuals to go about their normal business.

If you want to enjoy high speeds I suggest you take yourself to the nearest race track and pay to use it.
  • RR I see your point but

Early one morning a lady (not me) was driving along to find a destroyed bike at the side of the road but there was no sign of anyone. After calling the police and looking for some time eventually someone looked up to see a body stuck in the tree. The the firebrigade were called the road was closed and the man retrieved. He lived.

Another one

A girl and boy climbing had an accident and once been noted missing and the route they took given to mountain rescue. They were rescued the following morning. Having taked the correct equipment they haddone all the right things to help themselves be found and found in good condition. They then raised the money to cover the rescue (4 times over) and donated it to the mountain rescue.

You tell me who was the most responsible. I know this is only two cases but to me shows the difference between people taking responsibilty. Not the you RR wouldn't act responsibly.
  • I totally agree with u's all. In fact, I believe that there should be graded tests so that riders can only ride bikes that they have proven they can ride responsibly. Only those riders trained to the very highest levels of skill should be allowed to ride the really powerful bikes.

However, Steady, of those 3bikers killed and 3 incapacitated, as u say, they were trained to the highest standard, but were there any pedestrians involved? I firmly believe that where a biker is properly trained on the bike which he is riding, that where he does not risk the lives of others, that he is entitled to take risks now and again with his own life even though he has nothing really to gain from the risk other than a bit of fun.

But as I say, I would love to see graded tests introduced and proper training.

Tulips - I do act *very* responsible on my bike. I really do slow where there is a blind hillcrest or a corner that I can't see around to a speed such that I would be able to stop within my line of sight. I only actually arguing here because I love these moral .... discussions!
  • I never doubted you RR.

I tend to find that those of us who use the roads not in carsmotorbikes etc tend to be more careful since we know how it feels to have to jump into a hedge to avoid being flattened by someone having a bit of fun.

Lets face it though you always get idiots who, no matter how well trained. I wonder is a trained idiot more dangerous that an untrained idiot?
  • Tulips - our "Form Master" back at school said something very similar! - he was talking about the idiots in our year who threw their weight around and wrecked the place a bit - "I don't care if you get 11 A*'s in your GCSE's and get a first class honours degree, a smart thug is more dangerous than a dumb thug!"