speeding convictions

123457»

Comments

• SeelaSeela ✭✭✭
    RoadRunner:
    First of all accidents do happen. People fall off ladders, trip over pavements, and kill themselves in unfortunate ways. blaming cars and motorists in general is a knee jerk response.

Secondly last year I was doing the Tarrant Valley 10, where on a cross country section a chap on an MTB overtook some runners and collided with a young lad. Both ended up in a hedge.

So given the evdence of my own eyes I think bikes should be banned too.

Or am I over-reacting?

I agree with barnsleyrunner about the 84/motorway 29/outside school point.

Its inappropriate speed thats the problem. Not absolute speed.
  • eh? i didn't say that cars shold be banned?
  • Is it just me or is this discussion going around in circles. There will always be someone who decides to drive fast, whether this be because of incompetance, ego, showing off or whatever. Accidents do and always will happen, even if everybody drove within the speed limits assigned. People may or may not agree with speed limits imposed but they are there for a reason, ie to reduce the risk of an accident. Anyone who breaks these rules has no excuse, they are the law of our land and that is the end of it. 'Haven't the police got anything better to do', or, 'Why don't they go out and try to catch real criminals', has often been expressed as justification for speeding. That arguement is fine until a death occurs. They happen more as a result of the neglect or incompetence of a person speeding than they do as a result of a person breaking into a house. Something to think of perhaps when speeding penalties are criticised.
  • Road Runner

I believe that any motor accident that causes injury has to be reported to the police.

I would dispute the fact that noone died on thje road before 1896 (or whenever it was..) What about chariot accidents etc...

I suspect thar you are quoting statistics that are released by a pressure group with a political agenda, and that pressure group have skewed said statistics with a view to making a political point. This is not a criticism of either you or them, but I believe that all such statistics should come with a disclaimer. Without such a disclaimer, propaganda becomes accepted as fact, which is one small step towards totalitarianism (and that's dangerous!)

CH
  • wow, i was only cutting and pasting from a webpage on the topic, I saw the mention of a pedestrian being killed in 1896 @ 4mph and just pasted the whole article - none of that which was pasted reflects my own views or interpretations of the law....
  • Interesting thread,

Just to put another slant on it, if you have a foreign driving licence, non EU (Swiss) you do not get the points on UK driving offences, as they are not shown on your driving license.

Also, as I understand it the driving license can not be taken off you by a British Court, however you can be banded from driving in the UK.

Can someone tell me if this last bit is correct.
  • As I said, Road Runner, I'm not having a go at anyone, just pointing out the other side of the coin...

Example:

THE SCIENCE
    Researchers took a group of people and stuck pins in them. The subjects couldn't see whether it was one pin or two, but were asked to say which they thought it was. The experiment was repeated with the two pins progressively closer together. Women could distinguish two pinpricks from one pinprick better than men.

1ST INTERPRETATION
    Womens' brains are more finely tuned, therefore women are intellectually superior.

2ND INTERPRETATION
    More of The female brain is preoccupied with trivia like whether they are being assailed with one pin or two, therefore they have less brain power for higher thought, therefore men are intellectually superior.

Both interpretations are of course hogwash; women statistically have better two-point discrimination than men and that's all that the study shows!

For my next trick I will prove to you all that 1=2!
  • i'm sure there's a men and pricks joke in there somewhere.. can't quite put my finger on it
  • swissbobby, if you are banned it makes no difference if you have a foreign licence or not. You're banned, and this will be identified if the police carry out a check on the driver.
    If a person with a foreign licence is done for speeding the dvla create a licence record and can keep a track of any points issued. A foreign licence is only good for one year by the way. Once the year expires they have to sit and pass a british driving test if they want to continue driving legally
  • SeelaSeela ✭✭✭
    Crash hampster:
    If
    a=b

Multilpy both sides by a

a*a = a*b

subtract a-b
    a*a - b*b = a*b -b*b

Factorise
    (a-b)*(a+b) = b*(a-b)

dividing by (a-b)

(a+b) = b

Since a=b you can substitute b for a

(b+b) = b
    2*b = b

dividing by b
    2=1

TARARA!!
    This is know as dog mathematics and it means you can get twice as much for your dinner than you asked for.
  • Mak

if a = b
    and
    a + b = b

then a = b = 0

which proves that while dogs are optimistic, they are not very intelliigent
  • Or a+b=0
    multiply both sides of equation by 2

2(a+b)=0

but a+b=0

therefore

2(a+b)=a+b

Divide both sides by (a+b)

2=1

However you look at it it all goes wrong when you divide by 0!