Options

Salisbury Fire Station 10

WrintyWrinty ✭✭✭
Has anyone done this race before, I am getting the go ahead to do this event as a "Fathers Day treat", so I would like to know what I am letting myself in for in terms of course topology.

Comments

• Options
    I did it on February 23rd this year. They claim it's flat but boy are they joking - pretty serious hill half way round. You do get a gentle downhill to the finish after as compensation. Only the one hill, but it goes on for a while and it's steep. Nice friendly race though.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    emer-are you sure it's the same race. It's just unusual to have the 'same' race twice in one year.

My running pal does it most years and says it's a good course. A little undulating, bbut nothing too serious. I'm due to do this year, I think!
  • Options
    The organisers details and the starting point are the same as the one my club went to. We're from Bath, so pretty used to hills. Nothing wrong with having a hill in a race but we were all surprised they described it as flat. It is, most of the way round, but I think the one hill half way round would have a significant impact on most peoples times - the people I went with were all way off their best. Amy Stiles of Westbury Harriers still managed to be first lady in an impressive 35.44, and the men's race was won in 33.13, so obviously it didn't slow everyone up!
  • Options
    WrintyWrinty ✭✭✭
    I think I know what the disconnect is here, their is a 10K Race hosted in Salisbury at the start of the year, whereas the event in June is a ten miler.
  • Options
    Ah! The event title just says 10 so I jumped to conclusions. Discount all the above in that case - haven't a clue what the route is like.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I've heard the 10k is quite hilly. My pal did that one too and said it finishes with a long down hill section-sound good to me!

I actually don't mind a few hills as long as they aren't mountains!
  • Options
    I agree with the 10k route everyone else has in mind, did it a few years ago on Mothers day and had to get back to Yeovilton for Mothers day lunch by 1:00pm (race started at 10:30), thought it was flat too, got a suprise when I clocked 'Snake hill'! anyway ran the race, drove back to services on A303 to get changed, got to Yeovilton mess bar just as they were sitting down. Perfect!
  • Options
    Hi, I have spoken to a few people who have done the 10 mile race before, yes there is the one large hill at about the 7 mile stage, But a nice downhill finish. I am entering this year, my 1st 10mile race.
  • Options
    tiny tiatiny tia ✭✭✭
    Hi all
    This will be my first 10 miler too. Looking forward to it in an apprehensive sort of way. Really want to do it so hope my determination drives me on!!
  • Options
    It'll be more than friendly cos I'm sure my fellow Club runners (City of Salisbury)will be doing it and we're all lovely !!!
    Hills - pah !
  • Options
    The hill that everyone talks about is Snakey, which you do on the 10K but on the 10 mile run you run past the turning for Snakey and carry on down through the valley on the the other side - nice and level. The best bit is passing two pubs on the way round so if it gets too bad you can always stop off for an extra liquid intake!!
    See you on the day.
  • Options
    Thank god for that Hun. I did the half marathon last year and hit a bloody great hill at about 5-6 miles and thought my lungs were going to explode.

I've got to say though that after that it was a really attractive run along the riverside, it was very well marshalled and organised and very friendly.

Only problem is I'm running with my neighbour who's going really well at the moment while I'm feeling very old and very knackered. He's on a maintenance schedule for the summer while I'm still trying to build up my volumes.

Wonder if I can bribe the marshalls to send him up Snake Hill???? purely accidentally of course...........
  • Options
    Well lets hope the course stays the same and we miss the hill.
    Good luck to everyone taking part, im sure its going to be a great day.
  • Options
    WrintyWrinty ✭✭✭
    Has anyone received their race pack for this event yet?

I entered online at Timeoutdoors.com and they have debitted my credit card. Yet I have not received a race number or joining instructions, and with just five days to go before the off I am getting a little nervous.
  • Options
    tiny tiatiny tia ✭✭✭
    I got my race number and course description a couple of days ago. The description is quite detailed. As you say Wrinty not long to go now so you should be getting yours v soon.
  • Options
    I also entered via Timeoutdoors.com and I had mine a couple of days ago. My neighbour got his too, but sadly about the same time as he fractured his right leg. He's completely gutted and so am I. No more running partner for at least 6-8 weeks.
  • Options
    WrintyWrinty ✭✭✭
    Phew, that was leaving it a little close for comfort but my race number (126) has turned up this morning. The accompanying map does confirm a nice flat course along the banks of the river Avon.

Here's to a good run on Sunday:-)

Regards Wrinty
  • Options
    WrintyWrinty ✭✭✭
    Phew, that was bit of a warm one and on an undulating course. I managed 19th place in a PW of 66:55, but given the conditions it has to go down as one of my best runs in the last couple years.

How did you guys get on?
  • Options
    tiny tiatiny tia ✭✭✭
    Yeah was a bit hot!

I was pleased with my run and time of 85:47
    Really enjoyed the course and made the most of the water stations.
    Well done on your time and placing Wrinty obviously the sun agrees with you!
  • Options
    Did a PW of 81.32 but it was so hot, that's my excuse.
    Wrinty , I would be so pleased with a time like that!
    Tiny Tia , I saw you coming in , well done, have you thought of joining Lytchett Manor Striders perhaps?
    B
  • Options
    tiny tiatiny tia ✭✭✭
    hi Brian S

I'm thinking of joining a running club there are a few around my area but am waiting for my hubby to be injury free so we can go together. It feels strange running solo when we've been running with each other. Couple more weeks then he shoulkd be ok to train.
    I'm doing Southampton 10k in two weeks time, could be even hotter!!!
  • Options
    Hi all. Lord that was hot, and I don't know about you but I thought that was quite a tough course too. Had a heavy training week prior so to do 83.35 was a real bonus, especially with rampant hay fever as well!!

Wrinty I'm not even looking at your time. People just shouldn't be allowed to run that fast! Well done mate.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Well done guys, rather you than me in yesterday's heat!

tiny tia-when exactly is Southampton 10k and where can I find details for it? Is it a flat course?
  • Options
    tiny tiatiny tia ✭✭✭
    Hi Hilly

The details are in the event diary under Lordshill 10k and it's on Sunday 29 June at 10 am. It says its road surface, 1 lap, in rural setting and flat- never done it but sounds ok!
    Still waiting for race pack.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Thanks tiny tia, I found it. Not sure if I can do that weekend, sounds a good course though!
  • Options
    Hi guys, congrats to you all that done the race, i did the Braishfield 5 miles on sunday, it started at 11am very very hot. Im doing Lordshill 10k in 2 weeks, did it last year, lovely course, good for getting a new personal best time, Keep up the training
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    It says some of the route is on track, how much?
  • Options
    Hi Guys

Well done to all that ran on Sunday in the Firemans. It was my first race and I was pleased with my time of 81 mins. Fellow, more experienced runners have assured me that in that heat,10 miles runs don't come much harder... I hope not! Anyone doing the Great South run?
  • Options
    WrintyWrinty ✭✭✭
    Clive, I am making my second excursion to the Great South Run. The course is flat and fast (despite the inevitable sea breeze along Southsea promenade), and of course being in October it is doubtful that the temperature will be anywhere as near as warm as the Salisbury run.

You should look to be taking at least three minutes off your time, for a reasonable comparison with the GSR.
  • Options
    well this was my first race, and finished in 74mins (is that ok?)but it was a bit warm, i even managed to burn the top of my head as i have a shaved head, but really enjoyed it and will be entering other salisbury fire station events