Sheffield Half-Marathon

Comments

• I'm in for the 2nd year running and expect to be at the back of the pack 2- 28, i'll look out for you Caz..
  • It looks like I`m definitely going to be pacing my wife around this one and we`re looking for similar times to Caz and OT. See you at the back of the pack! I`m hoping to do another one a couple of weeks later on me own!
  • Hill I would change my Identaty but my numptieness will be a dead giveaway in any crowd. image

image As a side note live just off ecky road and enclift park and always good to see lots of people suddenly running this time of year. Just for them because of the looks of fear in there eye's. Please don't panic! Oh and if any of then are on here if a bloke say's hello as you pass it might be me so I would run away before I talk you into something and then get to penniless to buy you a pint after. image 

• Hi All. Someone wrote a message on the forum on the 2nd of March and  said they've entered but can no longer take part - do you know how I would reply to that message? I really really want to do the half-marathon but have left it too late to enter!

• Kate if you click on someone's profile it comes up with whaterver details they want to share. There is a message me thing at the bottom if you click on that you can send messages just like on frasebook and other networking sites.
  • Thank you for getting back to me.

I don't think they have a message thing on the bottom of their forum post! Not one that I can see. If you hear of anyone with a place, please do let me know. 

Thank you for your help.

• *bump*

Hi guys,

I was hoping to run this year but when i went online today the enrty was full image  If i get in im planning on running for Motor Neurone Disease Association. I would really appreciate if anyone who cant make it can pass their entry on to me. Of course i will pay you for the entry.

You can contact me on rbbagnall@googlemail.com

Thanks

Rich

• I forgot to put that I would of course pay for the entry fee.

If anyone has a place that they no longer want, please please message me, 

Thank you, 

Kate

• Phew, I`m just glad (smug?) that I entered me and the OH just in time.

What miles are the main hills at?
  • ET - there is a course profile on the website.
  • Cheers Baz. Glad that the last few are flat, for my wife`s sake.
  • Just in case it helps more than the route profile and as some of you know I don't go in for those new fangled Garmin things. It's Don valley, past Brightside land, into town up past Ponds forge (first hill) up and around past ponds street and over to Decathlon (second hilly bit) past Bramel lane, turn right to London road turn right down towards town and left at the waitose petrol station (hill)  which is the bit that always get's me, because I nether think it's steep till run it. The local church there usally gives out water and sweets off there own back, very nice people. Then the right just before the vine and straight down ecky road to hunters bar roundabout.

Back into town and go under the roundabout . Just before the old fire station it turns left onto the side street next to the BT building and then around past Devonshire cat, which by the way is a very good pub and a few of us will be eat/drinking in after open invite! Up past the Washington (last hill) and around to Division street. Then past the war memorial for the none-locals it's the one that student was pictured with a few months back in the Daily Mail. throught the Peace gardens, past the crucible, if you like snooker worth looking to see if your being clapped on by. Ronnie and some of the others sometimes do this race, when they can't they cheer us all on. Back down past ponds forge and same route back. You go around the stands in Don valley, relax and get a tram back into town to head for the Dev Cat for a plate of chips. None of the hills are bad or scary, the worst bit is if you don't know your going around the stands of Don valley, you think your race is done and then turn the corner to find anouther 800 metres or so.

I hope the grammer police don't read this. image

• ET - Its basically flat, or as flat as you can get in Yorkshire... Trust me, if it was hilly there is no way on earth I'd be entering it again...  The little rise just about the 11mile marker hurts a bit, but it is over and done with really quickly.   

Oh and I'll be in a bright yellow Livestrong Tee & black baseball cap if any of the back of the packers want to say Hi as they go running past me.

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    Hi cake

got spen 20 on sunday and also have signed up for chester marathon in may
  • Having done the Great Langdale HM, I fear no hills again.....!! It was a road race up the side of a bloody mountain......image
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    bright

read in local paper last night there had been a fell race at Dovestones right up the hills to the top if i had known would have done it
  • There are good races on the FRA website Dinda. They would suit you, as the fell races are always hilly.
  • The only downside on the course is that we have to run past Sheffield Uniteds football stadium, what an eyesore !
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    will be at sheffield the week before this for the 10k aswell
  • Dinda wrote (see)
    Hi cake got spen 20 on sunday and also have signed up for chester marathon in may
    *waves* Dude Good luck mate. image Still not met you properly fancy the pub after this? Before you ask I'm not buying everyone dinner. image
    Old Timer wrote (see)
    The only downside on the course is that we have to run past Sheffield Uniteds football stadium, what an eyesore !
    I've made a joke in the past about that bit. It's got me into touble so.image Any blades out there you were robbed the sesson you went down, but no favours next darby it's looks like we need the 3 points. image
  • Hill1Hill1 ✭✭✭
    Cake, if you ask me, they're in need of more than 3 points this season!!
  • Just wanted to share my guttedness with you. Big pain in my shin when just walking around, Doc thinks stress fracture but he said it could be a small tear in the muscle infront of my tibia, I think he is just guessing, but I hope its the tear. Anyway no running for 2 weeks then got to go back to see if its getting better or not, so he can decide what to do next. Dronfield 10k out on the 21st March, still hopefull for Sheffield half, its my favourite!

image Gutted Gutted image

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    cake on rest today ready for tommorrow
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    sheffield along with Leeds to me are the best half mararthons in the yorkshire area
  • I'm signed up to the Sheffield Half Marathon (my first half marathon). Are there any long hills on the route???
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    there are hills but not steep ones
  • Helenm2 wrote (see)

Just wanted to share my guttedness with you. Big pain in my shin when just walking around, Doc thinks stress fracture but he said it could be a small tear in the muscle infront of my tibia, I think he is just guessing, but I hope its the tear. Anyway no running for 2 weeks then got to go back to see if its getting better or not, so he can decide what to do next. Dronfield 10k out on the 21st March, still hopefull for Sheffield half, its my favourite!

image Gutted Gutted image

I feel your pain as I have shin issues at the moment. I missed out on this race last year due to ITBS imageimageimageso praying this shin problem is cured by some rest. FWIW i'd go to a physio rather than the doctors. Most docs know nothing about sports injuries and generally just tell you to rest. My physio is ace and he always sorts me out. Hope you're better soon!
  • Got a physio appoint on Thursday. He hopes to find out what it is so I will know where I am, feels weird not doing my LSR today, I had a lay in and everything!
  • Hill1Hill1 ✭✭✭

Keeping my fingers crossed that you get it sorted Helen. Iwas due to be running Retford half next weekend but can't due to a wedding on Saturday, but judging from my severe lack of running motivation recently it's probably a good thing I'm not!!! Hope everyone's training is going well.

Janeytbone, as already been said, there are hills on the route (as expected for Sheffield) but nothing too scary, the longest slog is probably up Ecclesall Road but it does get packed with spectators giving welcome support so it never seems that bad, and the plus side is, what goes up must come down!! image