Options

Sheffield Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options
    My number is here! What's the little tag with our number on for?? Do we tie it on our big toe to assist the people at the morg with the body count at the end.......?? image
  • Options
    Good to see you are being nice and optimistic! Its just for your bag if you are using the luggage store, its in all in the info supplied
  • Options
    Hill1Hill1 ✭✭✭

So, I set off yesterday on my LSR and ended up twisting my ankle only managing 5.5 miles. I don't know what hurt more, my ankle or my pride after going down in spectacular style on the side of the road image

Still on the plus side, it doesn't feel so bad today, just a little achy so hopefully a couple days R&R should do the trick. I've decided that this years Sheff half has become a 'just get myself round' kind of a race, I certainly can't see myself setting any PBs at this one!! image

Hope everyone elses training is going more successfully image

• Options
    Dinda wrote (see)
    Cazsoul I was at Bradford aswell saw all those army lads walking the course

My friend was struggling a bit by the time we saw them as we were heading back so I told her to make it look easy for the sheckshy army lads... image

We've got our numbers, I'm 2189 & Mr CS is 2190.

• Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    Bright

yes it is for your bag if you need to put in store
  • Options

Oh no Hill 1, get the ice on it quick, was it one of those where you jumped up really quick hoping no one saw you?

Srsly hope its ok. Rest it well.

• Options
    Hill1Hill1 ✭✭✭

Thanks Helen, seems much better today will give it a couple of days though I think to fully recover. Unfortunately, I think I was spotted taking the tumble then like you say, hopping around like a mad man thinking the pain would go away quicker the more I hopped!! image

• Options
    Make sure you give it enough time, I have been given all clear from physio to carry on training albeit with less milage than before, he has given me a really good stretching programme and strictly limited my amount but he thinks if I behave I should be ok. I will just have to be realisic and not expect a pb this time.
  • Options

Anyone still need a place? I don't think i'm going to be able to run AGAIN due to injury.

Let me know if you do, or know someone who does. I will transfer it over via the site.

• Options
    Hill1Hill1 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that angelic, nothing too serious I hope? I went out last night for a steady 3 miles and my ankle seemed to hold up without any problems, so hopefully I can get a decent run in over the bank holiday. Hope everyone has a good weekend image
  • Options
    Thanks Hill. Calf problem that won't go away. Did a 10k on Sunday and although i managed it, I haven't been able to run since. I think resting it for a few weeks is the only thing I can do now. That and eat chocolate image
  • Options
    Oh Angelic you poor thing, big hug coming your way (((((((((x)))))))))
  • Options
    Thanks Helen - i'm pretty knacked off at the moment, all things considered.image
  • Options
    I bet you are, it looks like I will have to settle for a gentle jog on the day, I am only back up to 3 miles since my injury, I had run up to 10 miles before though, I am expecting everything to ache for days after, if you end up on the route you will have to hold a sign that says Angelic, you would get loads of attention from here. Have you seen anyone about your calf?
  • Options

Hi angelic

I'm looking for a place in the race if you can't make it,I'm doing the Edingburgh marathon and need another half mararthon to do.I've tried to enter but it was full.

• Options
    Oh dear....everyone on here seems to be injured..... image And I've got a really bad back..... image Is there going to be a group of us at the back of this race all limping along........ image image
  • Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    well I will be starting near the front to be taken by the first ones so I get a good time which I will anyway
  • Options

Hi all

A good samaritan has given me his numbet...thanks again Jaime! I posted here and on the sheffield forum and had three places offered to me.  So for those still looking that might be an idea.

• Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    Mike

hope you have a good race I am number 591 got 1h39 last year after been out for 4 months then with ankle facture so hoping to get h130 what I got before then
  • Options
    My newly received number is similar to yours 576 sdaly thats where the similarity ends! My best half time is 2.03 i'm hoping to get under 2 hrs this season...............sadly i'm an old git, i turn 50 in may and i'm completely the wrong build for running! i gaze in wonder at the light, sinewy runners gliding gazelle like while i shamble along like a meths soaked hobo!
  • Options
    Mike, don't knock yourself, think on how many other old gits can run for 13 miles, (me being one) despite a few hills I reckon Sheffield could be a PB course.   
  • Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    mike you will do it there will be loads of fast and slow runners it does not matter the taking part that counts
  • Options
    Hill1Hill1 ✭✭✭

Well, after a a few rubbish weeks I set of on my LSR yesterday to prove to myself I will be able to make the distance (albeit rather slowly) but managed to clock off 13.4 miles in just over 2hrs which I was pretty pleased with (certainly with the lack of training I've been doing) so maybe alls not lost for Sheffield, 3 weeks to get myself up to speed imageimage

• Options

Hi Everyone!.

Really disapointed i couldnt get a place this year! We started training and even managed to get up to 11 miles in 1 hour 50 mins, using parts of the actual route. Then, before i knew it sold out out! If anyone cant make it this year please get in touch, i'll pay £60.00 for two places.

Many thanks,

Craig.

• Options
    Well done Hill 1, Alex did the same on Sunday not as fast as you but he did it all the same. I am getting there taking it steady so the injury doesnt flare up, sticking to physios plan, done 6 last week, 4, 4, 8 this week, I know its not gonna get me round quick but if I can do it without hurting thats good enough for me!
  • Options

Hi everyone -

Just wanted to say hello - Sheffield Half Marathon is going to be my first half-marathon (in my home town!) so i'm v excited...but rather scared too! image

Please excuse my stupid questions (!) but if I was to take longer than 3 hrs, and the roads re-open, would it still be pretty obvious where the route is, back to DVS, (so I don't get lost!) and does the finish line stay open past the 3 hr limit? (To get the medal/t-shirt and log time etc) I've been looking at previous yr's results and there are quite a few times on after 3hrs, so hopefully it will do?

I am hoping for around 2hr45, so hopefully none of the above will matter, but tbh I will be more than happy finishing in one piece image I'm #44 - was quite eager on the sign-up!!

Good luck all!

• Options

Hello Emma, I'll be slow too. PB 2 hrs 41 so far.

If you were just a bit over 3 hrs I should think you'd be ok. But if you were ages outside I'd expect no marshals & no-one at the finish. Though you should still finish it whatever!! I missed the time limit for the Cader Idris race, & had to find my own way in & got no finish time, but finished anyway. So if a race has a time limit you just have to accept you may be on your own with no marshals if you are well outside it!! image

• Options
    Hill1Hill1 ✭✭✭

Morning all image

EmmaJarvis the following information is from the website:

"What if I exceed the 3 hour time limit?
    The time limit for the Half Marathon is 3 hours. A sweep bus, travelling at the 3 hour rate, will ask you to board the bus to the finish. If you decline then the roads will be re-opened to traffic, the marshals will disperse and your race insurance will cease to provide cover."

So if, like you say you finish in under 3hrs, you shouldn't have a problem, just make sure you stay one step ahead of the sweep bus!!! image

• Options
    bol saucebol sauce ✭✭✭

Emma - echo the above! Last year was the first time I'd ever run a  half marathon, after only starting running not long before, so I wasn't sure how long it would take me, but thought 3 hours would be enough.

I cannot tell you how many hours I spent poring over that piece of paper that tells you all about the sweep bus, how fast it travels, where it'll be, and i was absolutely wetting myself at the prospect of ending up on it, holding my head in my hands in shame as everyone looked on at me. I kept saying that if the bloody thing got that close to me, then I'd run in front of it, not get on. Got round in 2hr 30, so wasted all that energy on worrying!!