Thursday Session

Okay I know it's early - couldn't sleep. Have at it....

What: that "cross training" lark again - plenty of washing and dusting to do (not allowed to hoover yet). Also one doggie walk planned - hopefully it'll be a bit longer than yesterday. Also visit to clinic to see the surgeon and chemotherapist is on the agenda for this afternoon and after that a trip to see Blackpool Illuminations (we go every year and eat fish & chips from Harry Ramsdens!)

why: it's better than what I did yesterday!

Last Rest Day: Wednesday - ended up sleeping from 2pm - 6pm

Last Hard Day: They're getting easier I s'pose

Comments

• Yesterday was one of those nightmare days in work where I spent over 6 hours in the car and did a full days work. So got home tired and all prepared to rest - but decided to do a little light cross training (bike and rower) just to freshen up.

Today: one hour run (work permitting) with 3 x 1 mile bursts.
    Why: Need to put some speed in.
    Last rest: Thursday last
    Last Hard day: Sunday
  • Hi Cath

Have you got used to the new hair yet? I always liked Sharlene Spiteri's hair.

Today: meant to be doing 8M at 1/2M pace - with 10min w/up and w/down but I'm trying to decide if I should miss it or not. The knee is now grumbling even when I'm not running so kind of think I should give it a break before it gets worse. But then am also worried about losing out on training. Indecision! any advice welcome!

Last run: intervals on tuesday
    last rest: yesterday

• Cath - keep posting and good luck.

Last night took the kids to the Juniors running at Ludlow - 10 year old did 3 to 4 as his first real run and did OK - I ran with two 8 year old girls (1 mine) and the group leader - a very slow 2. Even sang some Atomic Kitten cover.

So today

what - 2m at lunch with dog, Club run in evening for the first time - boy I hope they really have some slower runners!
    why - I'm hoping they will help in keeping my motivation up, and add to the fun of running.
    last hard - Sunday
    last rest - Monday - but yesterday was very easy.
  • ...during working hours (967). I will not waste time on the RW forums during working hours (968). I will not waste time on the RW forums during working hours (969). I will not waste....

Nearly finished those lines now. Phew! And working hours don't start till 9am officially.

What: Moderate 60-70min run this afternoon and marathon ironing session this evening.

Why: The run is on my home-made GNR schedule and the ironing pile is threatening to engulf the house.

Last hard day: Tuesday.

Last rest day: Yesterday. Only did Bodypump, and that was with reduced weights because I was half-asleep.

...time on the RW forums during working hours (970). I will not...
  • What: Was thinking of going swimming tonight and do a km, but I changed my mind and resting instead.
    Why: Not really in it for the swim, was only interested at staring at fit half naked men and I can wait until Sunday's swim for that. (And I washed my hair this morning :))

Last rest day: Tuesday
    Last hard day: Last nights club run (Tempo)
  • Morning all,

What:
    AM - 4 mile recovery run
    PM - Swim 2500m
    Why: Feeling tired after yesterdays longish run, so thought I would get out for a quick recovery run to wake myself up.
    Days since last hard run: Yesterday - wasn't supposed to be though
    Days since last rest - Saturday

Gareth
  • Morning everyone. This should make all of you feel better about your training: I abandoned my interval session yesterday in favour of 'carbo-loading' on chips and curry sauce, maltesers and half a bottle of red wine. Hubbie put his back out doing the tri on sunday and my knee is grumbling from recent long drives so a 'rest' seemed in order.

Today:
    What: dunno, but hope I might manage a swim.
    Why: to work off some of the calories from last night. Don't think I dare risk the knee running before the Robin Hood half on sunday.
    Last rest day: yesterday
    Last hard day: Tuesday
  • What 2 miler, one to warm up and the other to smash my post injury pb- i've got two sets of figures and I'm following to see how close I'm getting to my old standard.
    ( not very) hence a bit of speed work.
    7.50 to beat for the mile - ok not fast, but better than I was
  • Back form the North Sea yesterday, coming off night shift which is always good fun. what: Easy hour run today
    why: no excuse not to
    last hard day: Tuesday
    last "rest" day: yesterday
  • 20 minutes swim this morning, alternating crawl with breaststroke. That Hawaiian ironman training has to start somewhere!
  • Morning all

What : AM easy session in the gym PM short 4-mile run
    Why : Joined a new gym so have to have an induction and the short run is part of my prep for Sundays 10-mile race

Last Hard Day : Tuesday
    Last Rest Day :
  • Training gone to pot this week. Out Tuesday till 2 a.m. probably had my weeks quota of Jack Daniels in 1 night. Hangover from hell yesterday, bosses came over from Ireland and took us out for lunch, so topped up with wine, finished off with Cognac, it was hell and I got paid for it.
    Back to healthy living now (promise).
  • did a kata box class last night for variation and that is exactly what I got. One of only three guys among about 60 ladies.
    Last rest day:Mon(did a marathon on sun and was a little stiff)
    Today it is 26 degrees,no wind,sunny and I can hear the mountain calling me for an after work run.
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    what: am - weights, pm - 8.5 ml steady
    why: easy day
    last rest day: Frid
    last hard day: yesterday, see below

Did my first 5k race last night. Felt quite tired from Sunday and the 18 miles I've done since then. This was a club event. 30 starters. Winning time 15:21. I finished about 10th in a time of 17:43, but beat everyone I wanted to do.

Laura, I've not had a chance to respond to the HR thread but will do over the next few days. Don't have time just now! May need your help though as I've been using a new HR formula based on anaerobic threshold rather than max hr. Works for me quite well. What's your AT threshold rate and what rate do you tend to do your recovery runs at (not the rate you should use) and what's your resting HR? Thanks!
  • what: rest
    why: there won't be 1 for the next 3 days
    last rest: Monday
    last hard day: tues

achieved target training yesterday: 74mins/ca 8.5 miles/HR @156/75%WHR. First time I've trained at this low HR for some time, definietely had to keep the brakes on, but much less knackered today.

• what: speed session
    why: to keep some speed in my legs for Sunday
    last hard day: Tue
    last rest day: Sat
  • Drew, well done on the 5K, that's a great time.

What: 5 miler (middle 3 at approx 1/2 marathon pace)
    Why: Try to get the right pace into my head for Sunday.
    Last hard run: Sunday
    Last rest day: yesterday.

Probably my last run for the week prior to the Robin Hood half on Sunday (might jog a couple of miles Saturday if I'm really jumpy). Went to the track and did 1 mile warm-up then 5K at about 1/2 marathon goal pace then 1 mile cooldown. Purposely ran the first 1600 slowly to try and get it through my head not to go off too fast on Sunday. Hopefully the weather will co-operate but right now it's cr@p, really humid and way too warm for my liking, :-)
  • Was going to do an hour easy this morning , but some muppet drove into the car when the wife was at the post office, so she's taken the car to the dealer for a price up while I'm on sprog watch.
    This afternoon/evening she's up west with the girls (although she's checking out the sports shop for cut price Asics).
    The one on Cheapside (Multisports?) has 2070s at £50 a throw, pity no 11.5s....

So today : rest
    why : no time /baby sitting
    last hard : yesterday
  • ps well done drew on the 5k
  • What: easyish day - just Peak Physique class
    Why: Thurs is a gym day
    Last hard day: Sun
    Last rest day: Mon
  • What: 4 mile easy run home plus 4 mile easy run with d'missus.
    Why: 5 mile hilly fartlek followed by 1hr circuit training, yesterday. (1st circuits for about 6 weeks - every muscle in my upper body is complaining!)
    Last hard day: Yesterday
    Last rest day: Monday
  • What: nothing.
    Why: yesterday's 6 miles felt very hard, not properly recovered yet from Sunday obviously. Also woke up with a sore throat. And tomorrow's earmarked for 6 weekly fell run.

Drew, this sounds interesting! Sorry, got in a sulk because nobody believed my HR which as you know is sacred.
    How would your formula work then?As soon as I read your post I scuttled off to find my training log and can report:
    - usual recovery rate: 135-141
    - AT threshold pace - do you mean what HR I do tempo runs at? 174 - 185
    - resting HR: 48
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Laura, the AT threshold is probably quite close to your average rate during a 10k.

You can e-mail me your response to the following question, if you would prefer!

What pace do you do your recovery and tempo runs at and what was your average HR and time for your most recent 10k?
  • Well done Drew in the 5k .. nothing like winning .. your own race that is..

What: 6 mile plod/walk
    Why: felt ill after 2 kept going another, and still felt ill.. so jogged / walked home.
    Last hard: Sun
    Last rest: Mon
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I've just completed a slow agonising 15 mile run. I wasn't going to do it as I've had a really stressful day at work. BUT thought I'd feel better for going-WRONG! I haven't rested since Saturday and raced GSR on Sunday, then another 5 mile race Tues night, so I suppose it's caught up with me. Me thinks it's a rest day tomorrow, most definitely.
  • "Speed session" turned out to be another session on Hoylake promenade (wind light/moderate, diagonally behind for efforts). Recoveries involved walking/slow jogging back upwind to 400m / 800m start points.
    Session apparently did not impress the 2 (very) obese youths eating their chips on a bench some 100m from my finish point - kept making farting noises as I ran past in either direction....maybe they just suffered from very bad flatus....

1) 800m in 2:48 HR-> 158
    back 400m up prom in 3 mins
    2) 400m in 1:20 HR 107 -> 161
    back 800m up prom in 5 mins
    3) 800m in 2:43 HR 123 -> 166
    back 400m up prom in 3 mins
    4) 400m in 1:19 HR 121 -> 166
    back 800m up prom in 5 mins 20
    5) 800m in 2:38 HR 127 -> 170
    back 800m up prom in 5 mins 20
    6) 800m in 2:38 HR 130 -> 171

Most enjoyable - especially afterwards!
    Last session before Hoylake 10K on Sunday. Not sure if this is the best session to end with, but what the hell....

Drew - on the basis of yesterday's 5K time, what do you reckon you could manage if you were fresh?
  • Is there a prize for posting last?

What : 4 mile run
    Why : Haven't run since last Friday and finally the shame got to me. Also I'm spending much more time working and it's hard to fit a run in .

Must do some more running. It's kinda fun.
  • Why, have you measured yours recently Barkles?