Options

Anybody think I'm being over ambitious?

Comments

• Options
    George - did you get the book ok?

Re blister - personally i wouldnt pop them in future , just put the compeed right over the top. You may have got it a teensy bit infected by popping it. I would leave it a bit in the hope it improves - if it gets red - take the plaster off and bathe it in something antiseptic - savlon or the like and replaster. THe compeed will make it 'look' like it's reformed as these plasters have a gel that reacts and looks like the blister but isn't.
  • Options

Gym Addict

You're a great help, not only did I get the book, I've also finished reading it. Let me know when you want it back so that I can put it in the post. Its an excellent book that I can refer to whenever there is something I need clearing up.

I had a feeling I shouldnt have popped the blister but luckily I sterilised the needle first and as of yet it doesnt look infected... I will bear the advice in mind for next time though.

Cheers.

• Options
    George - keep the book for now then pass it on to someone else who needs it. image
  • Options

Re blisters,

If it's quite a small one and not too tender, I just try and leave it alone to heal. But if it's quite large and full of fluid, what I do is leave it for a few hours (or however long I can tolerate it) to let it properly form and start to heal. Then I get a bucket of cold water with a little dettol in it. Pop the blister with a sterile pin and apply pressure to the area to force the fluid out and let the skin stick back together a bit, then soak it in the cold water for 10 mins.

This seems to take the swelling right out and calm it down. Obviously you can't stop the tenderness really as it is an actual injury so it will take time to heal.

I've found in the past that tying my shoes with heel lock stops me getting blisters, as does talcing my feet before a long run. Just something to think about.

• Options
    It's gone very quiet on here- are you still training, George?
  • Options

Yeah Im training

Last week I did 8 miles total, this week Im looking at 10 miles total and I'm feeling good. Obviously not running too much yet either.

Im the lightest Ive been for about 5 years and officially no longer "morbidly" obese!!!

• Options

Good on you, George! Keep up the training and the weight will fall offimage - you'll never know how much we all want you to make it.

How much are you actually running now?

D

• Options
    Basically Im running for about 1 minute every 10 minutes!
  • Options

Well it's a minute you weren't doing 3 months ago. Give it a couple of months and you'll be flying along and in 6 months you'll be talking about PB's. I hope that as well as the benefits ie losing weight, you are actually enjoying running. It kinda helps if you find it fun image

D

• Options

Oh its amazing... I live in a little town in the middle of nowhere and the scenery is class!!!

Plus the fact that I am actually running makes me smile whilst i'm out there! Me? Running? YEAH!!!

• Options

Great stuff George. When you say you 'did' 8 miles and this week you are 'doing' 10 miles, what do you mean exactly? I know you're doing 1 min run out of 10 but are you walking 8 miles a week?

• Options
    Yeah that's my total mileage.. First week I did 3.5 and 4.5 and the second week I did 4.5 and 5.5...

Mainly walking until I build my fitness up and save enough money to buy some proper trainers!!!

Just a quick question though... I been having really late nights every Thursday and Saturday, nights when I go out with friends, obviously I'm on the water but when will I have to stop them? Or have I got a couple months yet?
  • Options

The late nights should not be a problem mate as long as you rest enough on an average basis.

One or two late nights won't kill you. It may seem harder to put in the effort after a late one but I am sure that you will be fine. Sometimes where I work we regularly put in ridiculous working hours and it does not hamper the training as long as the average weekly rest is adequate.

• Options
    I think George probably means will the late nights be OK when he gets further into his marathon training.
  • Options

Hi George,

Well done on your weight loss- I am in a similar position to you in that I have lost a lot of weight (well at least i think so) and there's no stopping me now!! .. I will also be trying for the LVM but need lots of advice or maybe I could share my training schedule with someone and they can tell me how I'm doing.

Everyone on here is so knowledgeable and am really enjoying this my first thread. 

I was wondering if I could loan that magic book?

Regards

• Options

George, one way to increase the effort without upping your mileage too quickly would be to increase the amount of running in your run/walk. 1 run to 9 walk seems like more than enough recovery. Why not try 1 run to 5 walk and get to 1:1?

Good luck.

• Options
    Gololo personal message me your address and I'll put it in the post!
  • Options

Hi George - how is your training going on, I'm trying to preapre my brain for training during the winter months which are fast approaching.

You do not have the icon saying "message member" so I cannot message you personally - my email is zimby@hotmail.com

Look forward to hearing form you ..

• Options
    Ditto Zanzinger ... we want George...we want George image
  • Options
    Sorry guys can't talk just wanted to know what everyone thinks about running on a treadmill as opposed to outdoors?

Should I stick to outdoors or is the treadmill ok?
  • Options
    Outdoors is best, treadmill is better than nothing
  • Options
    Hi guys here's where I am at now. I'm 19st 6lbs and am walking 15 miles a week, going out two to three times. Running for 2 minutes every seven minutes at the moment. Just used mapometer to plan some longer routes planning an eight mile one for Saturday.

• Options
    Well done George - hoping I would catch you online - please get in touch so I can get a chance to read book -- Thanks
  • Options
    Sorry mate my email is georgetsiappourdhi@hotmail.com send me your address and I'll forward it on to you as soon as I can
  • Options
    Just sent you an email George - did you get it? Tks
  • Options
    If you use a treadmill, there's less resistance  - no natural bumps and undulations that you get on even flat outdoor runs and it is being pulled under you, so set the incline at 1% otherwise you will not be able to run the distance outside if you just do treadmill. But as Danowat says treadmill is better than nothing.
  • Options
    Yup- Sara is right- you need to incline that tready- 1 % makes it very similar to outdoors, though not as much twisting and turning. Probably less impact on the feet if you're heavy, too. I started almost 100% a tready runer, and now do about half and half- I trained for my first marathon almost entirely on tready, so it's fine- just psychologically hard sometimes!