Anybody think I'm being over ambitious?

Comments

• Are you still on with this George?  Let us know how you're getting on.
  • I'm going fine guys, got my place officially now, I've lost nine stone now and I'm nearly at the point where I can start the program back onto normal food.

Things are looking good.
  • Good luck George.  Well done so far.
  • Well done George!  Do you have a charity or ballot place?  If charity, which?
  • I've got a charity place with breakthrough breast cancer.

• Keep at it matey, hopefully the gold bond place will help to keep you motivated through the winter months image
  • Just come across this thread and wondered how much sponsorship you will have to raise for Breakthrough Breast Cancer?  I know some of them are a few thousand.  I found it difficult when i did GSR last year raising £250 as credit crunch does not help.

• Bad Wife wrote (see)

Just come across this thread and wondered how much sponsorship you will have to raise for Breakthrough Breast Cancer?  I know some of them are a few thousand.  I found it difficult when i did GSR last year raising £250 as credit crunch does not help.

Minimum for them is £2000 apparently, (i.e. ouch!!!)
  • Ouch indeed,  think i will stick to entering races and the occasional sponsorship.  It is a big challenge to raise that much and almost as time consuming as the training. 
  • I think it can work 2 ways.

1) If you are serious about the charity, it can really help you to keep motivated and training.

2) It can become a real chore, and add some serious stress to an already stressful training regeme.

I am not sure I'd ever do it, I find training alone enough to think about, let alone having to raise £2K.

Props to you George, good luck with the training and fund raising image

• WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    You're doing amazingly on the weight loss, George. Good luck with the marathon training.
  • I'm not worried about raising the funds guys. From my surname you can guess I'm Cypriot with a massive family including 39 first cousins lol. If I can't raise it then noone can!!!!!

I'm lucky that I've got people to help me out with the fundraising as well!!!
  • Hi guys

Just wanted to let you know that I have started writing on my blog that I set up a couple months ago to inspire me to lose weight... Now I'm using it to record my training etc so if you are interested in finding out what I have been up to just visit:

http://www.puffysjourney2009.blogspot.com/

Also just wanted people's opinions on the coldness of the weather now... Im feeling it a lot more now and its made me opt for the treadmill on two occasions now... Is that bad? I know that really I need to be hitting the outdoors to help build up my leg muscles etc. Any ideas?

Finally what does everyone do about their water bottles? I read somewhere that you shouldn't hold anything when running as it can affect your posture etc Is this true?

Look forward to hearing from everyone.

Just for the record on sunday I did 4 miles in 40 minutes on the treadmill, running at one point for 20mins at 6miles per hour! Is that good or am I getting over excited?

My weight at the moment is 17 stone 13lbs.

• You don't need a water bottle, I do 12 miles without taking on water during the run, aslong as you are well hydrated as a rule, you'll be fine without water.

As for the cold weather, IMO, running in bad conditions helps, get yourself some decent clothing and you'll be fine.

that said, the treadmill isn't a "bad" option per say, but you'll get more out of your running outside IMO.

4 miles in 40mins is a great start, which is an avg of 6mph anyway!

• Thanks danowat for the speedy response...

Just for the record what do you mean by IMO lol???

• Sounds like you're doing really well George, 4 miles in 40 minutes is fab (10 min/miles), especially on the boring old treadmill!
  • wow! george you are an inspiration.all the best.
  • Wow George - really well done.  I've been running for 5 years and still struggle keep up 10min/mile for more than 20 minutes.   

As for water - I don't like carrying anything so on a long run I put a pound coin or something in a pocket and plan a route where I can buy a drink about half way or whatever. 

Thank for the link - will go and read it now.

• Hi everyone, was thinking I should come on here and update everyone of my situation... Probably annoy a few people with what I have to say but thats life...

Okay so basically I now weigh 15 stone 4lbs and have started the next phase of the program, reintroducing food... I am expecting to be eating carbs by the middle of January!

Since the last time I wrote on here a lot has happened. I didnt tell anyone at the time because it would only fuel the campaign against me doing the marathon even more, but basically three weeks ago I had keyhole surgery on my knee to clean up some cartlidge.

Im happy to say that it was successful and I will be back out on the road in no time...

I got my vest in the post the other day as well which was really motivating and I just cannot wait for it now!!!

My charity nights are all organised and I hope to raise lots of money for Breakthrough Breast Cancer!!! I have even got my sponsorship page sorted as well.. Think I'm being pretty organised if I do say so myself...

Watch this space!!!

• Hi George, to add my tuppence worth, I admire your ambition however think it is unnecessary and perhaps misplaced. This website is full of information and I am surprised no one has mentioned the potential for physical harm training up for a marathon in such a short space of time can bring. To do this if you are in reasonable health is a no no. To do this when losing so much weight is another question altogether.

One of the important factors to acknowledge is the 10% rule. I.E. you shouldn't increase your distance by more than 10% at a time. This is to avoid injury and doesn't mean you can increase your distance by 10% each run, it suggests you should wait until you are comfortable at that new distance before increasing your mileage.

Another consideration is to look at more advanced training methods, for example the Suunto methodology assumes the notion of duration, intensity and recovery. This means that each session you do has a required recovery period based upon the length of time you run for and how hard you run. For example, in your first year of running a 15k session will guaranteed place you into a training effect of 4+. This assumes a recovery period of up to 3 - 7 days not only to offset injury, but also to allow your body to adapt to the disruption to its natural homeostasis.

In doing this you can't possibly get to a stage in the time-frame you mention, where you are sensibly running suitable distances. Ignoring these rules are the most popular reasons why people come on these forums saying "I run 5 days a week but don't seem to make progress". They simply don't give their bodies a chance for that to happen. You can only train as hard as you can recover!

Successful running is every bit as much to do with understanding what your activity does to you and how you should control it (recovery periods, diet etc) as it is about doing the actual running itself.

You sound like a focused man and I suspect you will run that marathon despite reading advice not to just yet, so I wish you the best of luck. As others have mentioned (Gym Addict etc) you will get a far greater reward by taking your time and entering next year. To qualify that, I am a former pro sportsman and took up running this year at 41. I am aiming to run the UTMB in 3-4 years. This is a 166km race around the foot of Mont Blanc. I wont be doing my first trail (off-road) marathon until 18 months endurance work is completed and my body is prepared.

90% of people on the planet can get around a marathon course, but you need to ask yourself if you simply want to achieve that goal or whether you wish to achieve it sensibly in a way that will prepare you for years to come. As Gym Addict said, it is important to enjoy these things. I am seriously competitive but I wouldn't do it if it wasn't enjoyable. For you in such a short space of time it may well be the complete opposite and I would recommend you evaluate your reasons for doing this so soon. If you are so confident you can achieve this then why not do it properly and wait?

Best of luck mate!

• Fishmate wrote (see)

I am surprised no one has mentioned the potential for physical harm training up for a marathon in such a short space of time can bring. To do this if you are in reasonable health is a no no.

It was MORE than mentioned in the early stages of this thread.
  • George - wow, that's great going but just dont go TOO mad with things or you do risk serious injury.

Not to piss on your parade of course, but I'm sure you know your body and what is sensible.

See you at the VLM start-line - and good luck to you.

• Danowat wrote: "It was MORE than mentioned in the early stages of this thread."

I wrote my response, because whilst I think George's efforts to combat weight issues are highly commendable and deserve more than a pat on the back, he is going from one extreme to the other. This is seriously inadvisable and you are merely encouraging that.

The damage to joints and cartilage etc will potentially bite back in 5 years time and being unable to run etc, how will George address such a position. I hope for the man to enjoy his new experience, not have a brief flirtation and end back at square one. With that in mind I think you are being irresponsible. Gotta be said!

• We've all said that, over and over throughout this thread, but George has taken no heed to the warnings and has gone ahead with it.
  • Guys guys guys I appreciate the advice... I just dont agree with it.

I know my body and I know what I am capable of. In four months I will be ready to complete the marathon and will have raised lots of money for my charity!!!

• Hi George, obviously no stopping you, so I wish you the best. As i said, most people can get round a marathon course, that isn't the point, I'm sure you can too. The point is that you haven't allowed sufficient time to prepare, or acknowledged what happens after the event. So promise us all one thing. That you will take it easy and not go for world records, i.e. save yourself for further adventures and chances to raise money for your charities.

You are indeed a mad man in my book image but may the running Gods go with you!

• Thanks Fishmate

Just for the record Im no fool, I set myself a guide time but I dont care how long it takes me.... its my first attempt so whatever time I get will be my PB!!!

• WOW George you the man. congratulations on your weight loss so far.i know you can do this.