Semanya - man or woman?

Comments

• My pussy was all wet this morning.... image

She really wasn't impressed when she got caught in the downpour...   She flew through the catflap and complained loudly about the weather...  looking bedraggled... image

• debbo got asked at Ironman Switzerland why she was in the ladies changing room.....she's a wee Scot, nay tits and short hair for those who don't know her....she found it very amusing!
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭

Compare and contrast.........

http://images.beijing2008.cn/20080709/Img214443689.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/07/01/article-0-01CDB2B400000578-291_468x640.jpg

Separated at birth?

• Erm - actually, the point in question is whether or not she has male hormones - they aren't suggesting that she has had a sex change or something

There was a lady in the '30's who was proven "feminine" after a gender inspection (which Semanya is reportedly going for).  Can't remember her name - sure one of you care enough to Google it.

After she died, they did an autopsy and found male genetalia inside her body.

As I say, they are NOT suggesting that she IS or WAS a man.  They are seeing whether or not she has male chromosomes, which would give her an "unfair"advantage over the other runners.

• PO what are the south African papers saying?
  • popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Joe Volcano wrote (see)

Sometimes there are arbitary rules about what constitutes 'natural', eg in cycling there is a maximum permitted level of haemotocrit (amount of red blood cells) and anything over this level is deemed to be cheating. I had a friend who was a national champion at indoor rowing and his haemotocrit level was over the limit so if he'd entered a cycling event he could have been thrown out. But his was just a natural amount (as far as I know!). Imagine if they had a similar rule about womens' testosterone?

There is also an arbitrary rule about how fast you can leave the blocks in a sprint race. If you do it in under 0.1 secs you cheated.

It isn't considered cheating - riders are temporarily withdrawn from competition for health reasons - if you can show you have a natural haemocrit over the limit of 50 you can get an exemption - quite a few riders have including (I think) Cunego and that UK rider of Finnish extraction whose name I forget  - Ricco did too.

edit - charlie wegelius

• arctic lady wrote (see)
    PO what are the south African papers saying?

Pretty much what I said

They are angry because South African Athletics should have done this test before she went professionally into international championships - the IAAF has every right to do genetic testing but if the SAA had done it first, this wouldn't be an issue.

It's NOT about ANYONE saying that she was a man and is now a woman.  It is purely a question of whether or not she has XX AND XY chromosomes, which means that she has an "unfair" advantage as competitors can ONLY be "purely" female. 

It's not her fault and there is nothing to suggest that she is taking drugs or hormone replacement.

And the twit who suggested that I am South African and therefore she is wrong because I only see right should probably get the facts right and stop reading shit in the Metro.  It's got nothing to do with her race or nationality and everything to do with the fact that she may have some hormonal imbalance and I think the reaction is absolutely appauling

I would think the same no matter what nationality they are - the poor girl has to have a "Genital Inspection" FFS

• Even if the SAA had tested her ,it does not mean the IAAF would have not have do so.

• Definitely not - but it wouldn't be this massive thing that it is now.  SAA could have said yes, we tested her - go ahead and do your own. 

Also, apparently it's up to the "home" athletics to do this testing BEFORE allowing them in to represent the country.

• But if they do have to test her, shouldn't they have done it before she went to Berlin and ran in the final in front of zillions of people?
    Then they could hold up their results and shut everyone up.

If she does have XX and XY chromosomes then I feel awful for her. I think she comes from a humble background? Athletics could have been a way out. But if she's not woman enough to compete...?

Poor woman!image

• "And the twit who suggested that I am South African and therefore she is wrong because I only see right should probably get the facts right and stop reading shit in the Metro."

probably refers to me

"Oxy - remember PO is a Saffer so of course she has done no wrong...."

sometimes, just sometimes, PO it does some good to extract the head from the arse and realise that many things that are posted are done in jest.
    now about that chip on your shoulder.... image

and the Metro doesn't get anywhere close to where I live
  • Thank A - that's how I feel about it.

Yes - they should have tested her well before Berlin.  BUT they didn't do it - I would imagine that we have had only a handful of successful athletes and perhaps it's not something they are used to.

I feel so terrible for her

• The timing is appalling, I don't think anyone doubts that and it is horrible for her to have this clouding her achievement.

If she does have this chromosone thing then it really is unfair, not her fault at all.
  • fat buddha wrote (see)
    "And the twit who suggested that I am South African and therefore she is wrong because I only see right should probably get the facts right and stop reading shit in the Metro." probably refers to me "Oxy - remember PO is a Saffer so of course she has done no wrong...." 

Well if I was you, then I duly extract head from bottom and foot from mouth

• But FB you are right....

Those of us from the souhern hemisphere do no wrong at all !!!

*shines halo!*image

• This'll be another almighty athletics f**kup, just like the incident when the poor youngun in Beijing doing the paralympics suddenly wasn't disabled enough to participate just because she was winning by a big margin.

It really is terrible to be on the big stage and having this thrown at you.

• Funny how no-one questions the gender of the shot putters. Have you seen some of the women? Make your girlie look like a Page 3 model.
  • "firmly rams haloes back where the sun don't shine....." image
  • That was her name - sorry.  She was killed in 1980 and they discovered that she had male organs during autopsy.

but Min, the men are on drugs if they are good  image

• Min - there have been many cases of female shot putters genders being questioned going back to the 60's and 70's starting with the Press sisters from Russia.........never been proven in any cases.....most were just taking loads of steroids

now they're just big fecking munters and I wouldn't argue with any of them!
  • So is there a maximum amount of testosterone allowed for women athletes? Apparently I have high levels of testosterone but it hasn't made me athletically gifted, I just have v. hairy legs image

She does have a v. masculine body shape, even compared to people like Mutola and Mauresmo. Hope it's sorted out quickly for her and she gets a happy outcome.

• It's not the hormones apparently - it's actually the presence of XY and XX chromosomes
  • Must be terrible to be both male and female.  You must go through life so confused. image