Options

Edinburgh Marathon

Comments

• Options

Treadmills & hills are the work of the devil... I dont get that whole being able to run faster outside than I can on the treadmill...  I can just about manage 11min mile on the tready and I'm huffing & puffing after 10mins even though that's a nice steady comfy pace for me outside... Yes, I know I'm slow...  I'm just making sure you lot have finished & got the beers in for when I eventually finish next May. image

We're heading up to just between Perth & Dundee... The inlaws live in the middle of nowhere and I couldn't believe how much easier it was to run when you've got such fantastic scenery to admire... The 1st time I went out for a run on my own up there, it was meant to be 3miles, but I missed a turning and ended up doing closer to 6... I was just building up to my 1st 10k so had never ran that distance before and it felt like I could've carried on running for ever I was finding it THAT easy.

• Options

I agree with you CazSoul, running on treadmill is much harder. It probably is psychological, but I also think that I just get hot and bored.

I am lucky enough to live in the countryside, so I usually get to run in nice scenery, it does have it's down sides though, mainly too many hills and no street lights in the winter.

I don't really care about the lack of street lights, and don't mind looking a proper charlie with my head torch on, but Mr Plodder worries about me going out in the dark on my own on unlit country roads - he has visions of me being run-over and left lying roadside in the dark. 

• Options

Crafty strategy -  Cazsoul.... ok we'll make sure your usual pint of Guinness is ready for you at the bar  image 

I spent nine months contracting in Edinbugh last year - and always meant to explore North out of the city and up towards Perth etc... but never got around to it... I believe it is beautiful around there....

One aspect of off-roading in Scotland that we became acutely aware of -  on the club weekend - was the concept of 'public footpath' - they're unmarked !!  Invariably we'd set off on a pre-planned route - map in hand - along some trail, only to find that you turn a corner and... hey... the trail has disappeared. The last of the runs I did up there - running with the the club organiser - was supposed to be a gentle 7k point-to-point ..... It turned out to be a mad scramble over walls... wading through bogs.... only to find 90 minutes later  that we were back where we started - I kid you not !! They even had to send out a search party to find us and pick us up !! I 'm told that it's because they have a 'right-to-roam' policy up there, no-one keeps to footpaths... so they dont stay marked for very long.... No-one told the poor organisers image Great weekend tho image

• Options
    Only if its Red Guinness Teuchter.... Dont like the black stuff... image  We found a pub in Glasgow that sold red guinness... I can only have one pint of it and then I have to switch back to lager, otherwise I'd be flat on my back giggling like a loon.
  • Options

OK Red Guinness it is.....  with a 'snake-bite' to follow imageimage

....we'll save the whisky chasers till later........

• Options

image To the snake-bite... I got horrendously drunk on cider in my early teens and haven't been able to stomach the stuff since...  Isn't a nice cold pint of lager meant to be a really good recovery drink anyhoo??? 

The hotel we're booked into do a champagne bath package thing which I'm thinking of booking for myself... They send up to your room rose petals to put in the bath & a glass of champagne... Might have to upgrade that to a bottle but what the hey I'll have deserved it. image  I can just imagine me getting out of the bath (eventually) with rose petals stuck to places they shouldn't be stuck.

• Options

Rose petals... hmm...  you ever seen the film 'American Beauty ? The bird in that faced a similar dilemma ..... what to do about the rose petals..... they didn't stop Kevin Spacey from getting a good grope,  as I recall..... great film!

My 'achilles heel' (pardon the pun) was gin...... at a first teenage party where we very quickly ran out of beer...... so... on to the spirits..... never been so ill in my life.... still, hasn't put me off the occasional G & T now and again....image Dont skimp on the champers.... I think you should  go for the upgrade.... it'll save you the embarrassment of having to get out the bath for a refill...

Shit ! I forgot about that..  still got to sort out me digs for Edinburgh.... at this rate I'm going to be ringing up me old flat-mate and asking if I can bunk down on his spare z-bed image 

• Options

In fact, ask the hotel for an upgrade to the full  'American Beauty' package....

http://www.gilalion.com/images/es_americanbeauty.jpg

Gold Pig - how's the preparation for Wesham going ? Are you going to track night tonight ? Might run to the first cut-off point tomorrow night to test-drive the back.... tho' it's not feeling brilliant... CazSoul's treatment is beginning to wear off  image

• Options

Teuchter....no track night tonight, doing nowt till saturday. My legs are feeling tired after a game of tennis yesterday and a hilly run last night. Not going to gain anything by running between now and the race.
    Just take it easy if you run with club tomorrow, otherwise it will just set you back.

Has Caz's treatment done anything for you? If you think youre having a second helping then i am.image

• Options
    Gold Pig wrote (see)
     Has Caz's treatment done anything for you? If you think youre having a second helping then i am.

I dont do sloppy seconds..... sheesh - especially after I saw what happened to you !! 

Take it easy... I'll either be there running on Saturday image  or holding your coat image

• Options

I have my killer heels on today if either of you fancy laying down... image  *lifts leg to show 4" stiletto heel*

If I go for the full upgrade Teuchter do I get her body as well in place of mine... Ooooh I could have great fun filling that skinny tummy out with a ton of chocolate & beer... 

• Options
    CazSoul wrote (see)

I have my killer heels on today if either of you fancy laying down... image  *lifts leg to show 4" stiletto heel*

I'm a lot better now thanks.image
  • Options
    Spoil sport... image  OK I'll take them off...
  • Options

Jeez - those heels look sharp ! Er ok CazSoul.... I'm up for another session image..... but this time let's be sensible and use some protection....

<Lays down with a roll of heavy-duty carpet over his back!>

CazSoul wrote(see)

If I go for the full upgrade Teuchter do I get her body as well in place of mine...

Er... I'd check the small-print if  I were you .. But in any case... be careful what you wish for,CazSoul...  she also had to put up with the constant attentions of a dirty old man!.... Talking of which... you seen any more o that flasher ? image

• Options

I would say I already have the attentions of a dirty old man, but Mr CS is 2 years younger than me....  I've not been brave/stupid enough to go out that way on the canal since, I've been going out further in the opposite direction so I get to stop at the point where I picked the weirdo up last time.

*admires shag carpet*  Good choice... *carefully steps onto Teuchter*  *starts walking up & down*  Hey, this is much more fun... How is it for you???

• Options
    CazSoul wrote (see)
    *admires shag carpet*  Good choice... *carefully steps onto Teuchter*  *starts walking up & down*  Hey, this is much more fun... How is it for you???

Only the finest shag carpet that money can buy......made by the Tuareg Tribesmen themselves.... well - you get what you pay for, I always say...

Hey ...woah.. steady on... nobody said owt about doin a tap-dance routine !! Sheesh - I'm beginnin to think it's not quite thick enough for the purpose..... I just 'ope you dont puncture a hole in it, or I'll be screwed....

I cant suss this... I'm sat in the office today and the back is absolutely fine (obviously, stilettos work - must be a form of acupuncture!)... and yet last night, it was giving me  jip somet rotten.... not even sure whether tonight's physio is going to be worth it (sorry Caz - a safety net in case the stiletto treatment didnt work out!)  

• Options
    Teuchter wrote (see)

Hey ...woah.. steady on... nobody said owt about doin a tap-dance routine !! Sheesh - I'm beginnin to think it's not quite thick enough for the purpose..... I just 'ope you dont puncture a hole in it, or I'll be screwed....

Depends where the heel is at the time LOL.

Haven't you got a back up injury for the fizzy to treat just in case your back isn't bothering you???  I'm off to see mine at 12 to check that this pain in my ankle is nothing too serious and I can carry on ignoring the pain when I run.

• Options
    CazSoul wrote (see)
    Depends where the heel is at the time LOL.

Not if I turn over.. .... er no... I'm not going there..... image

I'm off to see mine at 12 to check that this pain in my ankle is nothing too serious and I can carry on ignoring the pain when I run.

You know what he'll say, dont you.... stop wearing stilettos image  I've had a lot of problems with ankles over the years - where's the pain ? Did you twist the ankle ?

• Options

Is it safe to come inimage

Ankle pain, yeh ive got that and still suffering. Once youve had an injury, dont think it ever gets right. No doubt the physio will tell you to lessen the mileage or stop running for a while until it heals. Do we ever listen to them???? 

• Options
    That's very true GP - we don't, do we ? Did my ankle in pretty badly when I was at college... and was told to get some proper physio on it... But I didnt - well, you don't think it's important when you're 18..... been giving me problems off-and-on ever since image 
  • Options
    afternoon all,

sorry haven't been on to read posts been as ill as but hopefully on the up image

haven't had time to read all posts (my time is always limited with 4 kids so if I ever miss a major poitn and then appear rude pls forgive me of minimal time)

I did glance over posts and killer heels and champagne and rose petals spring out....my kinda thread! as long as the heels ar laboutins, the champers is cold and free flowing and the roses are of the chocolate cream type image
  • Options
    My fizzy is fab.... I dont have to stop running or even lessen my mileage. image  She says its a litle bit of tendonitis brought on by the plantaar facili-wotsit I picked up from overtraining for my last half and with a bucket load of strengthening exercises and another massage & ultrasound treatment in a fortnight I'll be good to go.  Yay!!!  I did say when I was booking my next appointment that it would have to be early on the Saturday cos I had a 14mile run to do afterwards and she didnt slap me up the side of the head or anything.
  • Options

Hi Julie... Erm the heels are ermmmm out of the littlewoods catalogue... they are very nice red tartan though... the champagne is on special at Morrisons for a limited time... Moet & Bolly is on offer at half price whilst stocks last... image

• Options

Welcome back JulieF - sorry to hear you've been poorly - no need to apologise on here.... The champers will deffo be cold and free-flowing - CazS will be spraying it  'Jensen Button' style from her hotel balcony after her run.... once the upgrade is in place...  I must confess to having looked up laboutin....when it comes to laydees fashion  I am sooooo  last year !! I'm all stiletto'ed out back-wise... but Gold Pig may be up for more treatment.....image

Nice one Caz -didin't understand the medical bit - but that's a result !! Course - you realise, you've no excuses now... Got lots of ankle-strengthening exercises if you need - but I'm sure fizz will be able to help there. Hey - wot's with the change of avatar... is this you getting all festive ! I was just getting used to .... er.. wotever the thing was before.... image

• Options

*wonders how Teuchter manages in the world with his powers of obvservation*  Its nearly December and as I'm not gonna be about on 1st December I thought I'd go home & change my outfit early... This is the new chrimbly avatar... The old one is a pic of the tattoo on my right shoulder... I have pooh bear in the same pose on my left shoulder. image

Are any of you peeps on Facebook???  My profile pic is the same as my old one (Eeyore tatt) if anyone wants to be my friend. image

• Options
    CazSoul wrote (see)
    *wonders how Teuchter manages in the world with his powers of obvservation* 

Bloody cheek!  I'll have you know - I passed my observer's badge with flying colours when I was in the scouts..... mind you... it was the only badge I did get image  Hmm... tattoos of Pooh Bear and Eeyore doing the splits ? I won't ask...

*wonders what Cazsoul did before social networking sites*  Er... I'll have to find out how to set one up...but I'm a bit worried about cyber-stalkers image  Does it have a feature to allow you to search on tattoos ? I am on linkedin ... which I think is something similar... but probably a bit more 'job' oriented....  

• Options
    They're not doing the splits... They're laid flat out on their bellies. image  Dont think Facebook has that facility but my name is in the about me thingymajig on here.
  • Options
    I actually got my work done, was what I did pre RW & FB.
  • Options

Afternoon all. I see this thread is casually drifting away from running towards food, drink and er.......stillettos so I guess I'm safe to join in now.

Not doing much running at theminute on account of trying to come back from IT band and a broken toe. It feels like every time I go out now I end up with something else 'niggling' me. Currently hamstring.

Did someone say Facebook. Yes I'm on (David Palmer - Sheffield or Myers Grove School) I would go on and find you Caz but my PC has died image currently sneaking on at work image 

Got a club place for London last week so it looks like 2 marathons in 4 weeks for me which is not ideal but it's too good to turn down.

whooops - sorry for drifting back to running again

• Options

Hello all, hope everyones trainings going well. I just entered for 2010, will be my fourth marathon. The last one being NY.

I thought I would give this a go, has mixed reportd(Most races do). I missed out for 2009, was only four weeks after London.

R Dave- Good that you got a place in London. Hard to get a place in London, I am on the reserve list for a place from my club.

Everyone have a good weekend.