Edinburgh Marathon

Comments

• Hi all just dropping in again to keep my mind on Edinburgh!

I am finding it hard to feel enthusiastic about doing  a marathon next year at the moment.  I was really up for it weeks ago when I entered, but haven't done as much maintenance running as I hoped for past month or so.  I have done ave 20 mpw over 3 or 4 runs, but wanted to be over 25 mpw and at least 4 runs by now.

Did the Abbey Dash in Leeds last Sunday and got a pb of 52.42, which was 3 mins off previous pb, so was very pleased.  Got to keep the momentum up............ but haven't run since, which is really unlike me!  I am going out for 10 miles this morning even though the forecast is bad here in Yorkshire!

Caz you seem to be going great guns at the moment.  Are you increasing your long runs past 14 miles yet, or maintaining around that until you increase during the marathon training (does that make sense lol!)  I am hoping to start upping my long runs from now but don't want to do too much too soon for me.  The thought of doing a 20/22 miler makes me break out into a cold sweat still!

x

• Hey all is this race full? I need to enter a spring Marathon and VLM as always is full and Paris is to expensive and i hear this is great for PB Potential to give me some info please, Also im running 10-13 on my long runs on sundays atm for maintenance is that overtraining or good maintenence.
  • Hi!

Hope you don't mind me joining in?!

Heading back to Ednburgh after 3 years away and officially starting my training any day soon (shifts allowing). I've been ticking over with long runs of 14 miles since the Great North Run and now looking forward to upping things over the next few months.

Does anyone have a link to a map of the course? I've checked the website and it just says something along the lines of its the same as last years route but I've never run that course before.

Hope everyone's training is going well and looking forward to getting to know you all over the next few months!!  

• Mandie if you look back a page or 2 I gave a rough idea of where it goes for Julie. image

Beebers the plan is to take it up a mile one week then drop back to 10 the next then up a mile etc... So it goes something like this... 12mile, 10mile, 13mile, 10mile etc... Am in Scotland on jolly holly at the moment so it was only a 5mile on Saturday this week, although it was done at a faster pace.  Think the plan says 10 this coming saturday and then 14 the week after. EEK!!!

Dave, will go see if I can find you on FB in a mo.  Look out for Eeyore wanting to be your friend. image  GoldPig, am now friends with you. *waves frantically*

• I think I've added you as a friend Dave, either that or I've just sent a friend request with a really odd message to a total stranger.
  • Caz....waving backimage

I really need to start picking up the miles as i am in my comfort zone of 6s and7s. Went for a 10m today and managed 3.5m, things just didnt feel right and the legs were heavy. Told myself its a recovery run from saturdays race and its better than nothing.

Got the stockport 10m in less than 2 week, so will try harder.image 

• CazSoul wrote (see)
    I actually got my work done, was what I did pre RW & FB.

Join the club.... We recently had internet snooping software installed here at work... so any day now,  I'm  expecting a summons from the IT Director to explain why , during working hours, I've been googling 'laboutins'  and ordering shag-pile carpet.....

Gold Pig - you still up for tonight's club run ? If so - bring your winter warmers.... cos it's gonna be chilly image
  • Yeh, i will be there. Not too bothered about the cold aslong as its dry.image  
  • Thanks CazSoul!

Gold Pig - I'm doing the Stockport 10 too!

• Mandie...got my number for stockport today....666 image 

Just what i bloody needed.

What time you looking for as i havnt done a 10m race before, are you innit to win it.

• No running for me for a week/so more as tummy bug turned into gastritis and a multitude of tablets required to deal with apparently!

Just noticed my typo: Louboutin not Laboutin sorry for confusion...interested to see what google puts up for the typo!

Gold Pig maybe it'll be a good number for you.....hmmm
  • I've not got any more races booked in.

Went our last night for first time after Wesham. Did a nice steady slowish 8miles.image

Poor you julieflies, I hate not being able to run. I get quite grumpy!!

• Julie...make the most of the rest, will send some grapes roundimage

I may turn the number upside down, and see what they say.

BBP...How were the legs after wesham. I did a 10k tempo with the club last night and it felt harder than the race.image 

• Sorry to hear that JulieF.... you're suffering at the moment, aren't you image Google seemed happy to translate laboutin to louboutin without any bother..... and without me even noticing image  Well done BBurn.... it was a bit rough last night....  Gold Pig and I were out in the elements  too..... I think it was about 6.5 miles - tho I cant be precise -  as usual, I forgot to start me Garmin - d'oh !!

• Must admit, my legs were a little heavy last night, and quads still a bit stiff (doing squats with bar on my shoulders in gym on Monday probably didn't help that! Doh!!)

I averaged 9:55 min/miles, so much slower than Saturday - I don't think I could have attempted a tempo run, much more of a plod.

Weather was weird, when I set off it was really cold, with frost on the ground, sleet in the middle of the run, which turned to driving rain by the time I got home. LOVELY imageimage

• Mandie R wrote (see)
    Does anyone have a link to a map of the course? I've checked the website and it just says something along the lines of its the same as last years route but I've never run that course before.

Hi Mandie! Not to diminish CazSoul's most excellent description of the route....but I came across this link to the 2009 route map - apparently this year's route will be similar.

http://www.downloads.edinburgh-marathon.com/MarMaps/2009_Course_ALL.pdf

• I thought my description of the route was spot on... But yeah the map probably gives you a better idea of where the pubs are etc. so much much better. image

Have delayed tonights 5mile run until tomorrow as its so blooming cold I want to whip up a big pot of hearty chicken stew and if I went out for a run tonight after abs class I'd never get my tea and a grumbly tummy Cazzy is not a happy Cazzy.  Ooooh must change my name, now that we're in December... Mr CS came up with Caz-Santa-Soul... What do with think???  I was Cazmas-Soul last year.  I was also in the "hot on the forums" thingy in the mag with my Chrimbly name... Bloody typical the one time I get a mention and I've got my Christmas hat on.

• CazSoul wrote (see)

If you google Apex hotel Edinburgh, it starts basically outside there or near enough and then goes out somehow to along the sea front, then its out and back for a bit and finishes at Musselborough... there that was helpful wasnt it??? image

Oooh  don't get a mardie on!  I just thought it was a little bit light on.... er...detail, that's all  ! 

Caz-Santa-Soul... not bad.... Hmm  it's a tricky name to bugger about with..... 'Christmas Cazz'ed' ... (sounds a bit Bah Humbug)...   'Merry Cazmas'..... 'Crimbly-Caz' ..... 'Christmas Carol' ?? Sheesh... I dunno....  is there a prize ??image

CazSoul wrote (see)

I was also in the "hot on the forums" thingy in the mag with my Chrimbly name...

WTF is the 'hot on the forums'  thingy ? image

• Hot on the forums thingy is that bit near the front of the mag where they copy & paste a bit off the forums which they consider to be useful info from the forumites...  It was a post about struggling to get past a certain distance/time and my helpful reply was that maybe it was a psychological problem rather than physical and to try a different route and to leave the watch at home.

OK, I can see there may be some flaws in my course description... Erm.... maybe I should've mentioned you go downhill quite a bit too... image

Hmmmmm I quite like Chrimbly-CazSoul...  Oooooh decisions decisions.

I was meant to go to abs class tonight but I came down with a severe case of cantbearseditis when I realised I was gonna have to walk home from work in high heels... I must remember to take a pair of trainers in with me for just such occasions... My car is poorly poorly and the garage needed to keep it in overnight. image

• Teucher - thanks for the link! Looks like its going to be a longer slog along the coast than it used to be.

CazSoul, looking at the map I'd say your description is pretty good!! Hope your car is feeling lots better tomorrow.

Gold Pig - Great number for Stockport!!!! mine arrived this morning, 27 (must have applied really early). Anything around the 1hr 30mins mark will do me.

• CDDPS - 'Hot on the forums' thingy....  yes I found  it ..... nice bit of psychology there  image  I see there's no mention in the article of the affliction 'cantbearseditis'  LOL!   Hmm... high heels... .they do seem to be a feature of this thread.... Well,  I lost two hours of my life yesterday evening queueing on the M65 home from work.... was all set for a spell in the gym... and then realised that my subscription had expired image

Mandie - your'e welcome !  I have a rough idea of central Edinburgh, and if that start is where I think it is - then as CDDPS says, that initial downhill section could be a bit of a ball-ache !! Also, I have a friend in Musselburgh.... and that seems a hell of along way away from the city centre..ok.. ok... I wont dwell on that for now image

Gold Pig - are you doing the club track night tonight ? I'll be doing the circuits session at Broomies. Won't see you at the club run tomorrow night - I'm off to Oxford for the weekend....

• I dont mind that huge bit of out and back, as long as there isnt a force 9 gale blowing in from the sea.  They have a section like that at Sheffield Half and it was the only bit where I didnt notice the hills cos I was too busy goggling at the people coming back whilst I was still on the out bit.    So please bear in mind peeps, I will need an accurate description of what you look like and what you will be wearing so I can look out for you and wave like a loon when I see you going in the other direction. image

I hope my car is feeling better today too Mandie... Although I do have  a pair of trainers under my desk now as I had to walk into work this morning... Really really hope it isnt gonna cost me more than the car is actually worth too. image

• What's wrong with the car, Caz ?
  • It failed its MOT on, probably among other things, emissions... It either needs a new Cat or a valve of some sort, I'm really hoping its the valve as I know the Cat will cost a couple of £100 unless of course its the most expensive valve in the world and then I hope its the Cat... So basically whichever is the cheaper option.   I think it needs a new tyre as well, as I'm fairly certain they mentioned last year that one was getting a bit low... And I'm not convinced the brakes brake as well as they should...  Oh, my car is falling apart at the seams... image 
  • CS - That's a bummer..... trouble is, unless you're a mechanic (and I'm not) - you're at the mercy of these peeps. I think it sometimes depends on which garage you take it to as well.  It's been a bad year in our household for cars. I had a 11-year old Audi from new, 240,000 on the clock - which virtually sailed through the MOT every year - until this year, when I took it to a different garage close to work. It cost £700 in Feb to get it through it's MOT (not a sausage the year before !!) - and then £500 a month later to replace some high-pressure hoses  (gold-plated, presumably) ..when the power steering went. I cut my losses in June  and scrapped it when the head gasket went and another garage near home wanted £1000 to fix it....  In September  I drove the missus' car to work and (having not ...er...  checked .... er... the oil level for a while) - blew the engine - outside Blackburn....... and I had to fork out £2,400 to replace it - I kid you not !!

Just wanted to cheer you up image

• Thanks Teuchter, I am indeed happy again that its not just me suffering with poorly car syndrome.  Think once my loan is paid off the 1st purchase will need to be a new second hand car as mine is burning a lot of oil through the engine which is in turn buggering up other bitties...Hence failing the emissions test & needing another new pussy cat (already replaced it 2 years ago)...   Either that or I'll have to leave it in the capable hands of my daddy & bruvs to fix for me, which would mean leaving it down in London for a month or so and walking to work... image
  • No - it's not just you image Trouble is - it's a 'catch-22' isn't it ? Once you've parted with hard-earned dosh to fix one problem.... you're inclined to keep hold of it -  to get the benefit - until somet else goes..needing more dosh... and so on... I've got  100 miles a day to commute , and being  on contract, if I dont work I dont get paid, so I can't afford  to be without it,  or spend time off work hawking it round  garages looking for a 'best price' image  

Now if only I could walk to work .... image

• Ooooh I feel really lazy now, I only have a 3mile round trip and I still take the car...  You never know when you might need it for something... OK, there really is no excuse for me not walking to work is there???  I leave it at home when its snowed or particularly icy... as the road down to my work is partly cobbled  and is scaringly trecherous in particularly bad weather... I have slid towards the telegraph pole on more than one occasion, which I can confirm is not a very pleasant feeling.
  • What about a bike ? Sounds like you're talking yourself out of using the car........

I'm not going to mention 'carbon footprint'  image or 'Kyoto' imageimage

<ducks smartly to avoid side-swipe from CS's mink-lined,  crocodile-skin handbag >  

Come to mention it - I take the car every time we meet up for a club run - which is only a mile down the road.....image

• Its daft isnt it???  I didnt go to the gym last night cos I didnt have a car as well as having a severe case of cantbearseditis... The gym is less than a mile from home...  We're meant to be running 26.2miles in a little over 5months time and yet to go somewhere a mile or so away we get the car out.

I have thought about dusting my bike off, it wouldn't be too bad going to work as its all downhill but going home would be a bugger.... None of them are steep hills by any stretch of the imagination but they are a constant incline the whole way...  I regularly see a bloke cycling back up the hill with a fag hanging out of his gob looking like he's gonna collapse any minute.