Edinburgh Marathon

Comments

• GoldeagleGoldeagle ✭✭✭

Dave, hope the hamstring's not too bad. Hopefully you'll have recovered to still make Ashby.

Thanks Caz, Phil. Continued with my tried and tested pre-race routine of 3 pints in Bath on Saturday afternoon. Worked brilliantly. Not sure I've got the nerve to try it in Paris though. It was perfect race conditions, a bit on the cool side at the start but no wind. And there be may be quicker half marathon courses than Bath but I've never seen one. Knew I might be on for a decent time when I went over the timing mat at 10k in less than a minute outside my PB. Didn't look at the watch after 8 miles just concentrated on trying to maintain the pace. Even so I was totally amazed with the time and obviously well pleased. Now just need to get through the next 5 weeks to give Paris a good go.  

• Its an incredible result GE - Don't you just love running?

The healing vibes and good wishes have worked wonders. I went on the treadmill for 5 mins this morning to try and gauge the pain that the hammy was causing. Ended up with a 43:30 10k and no pain at all. So never mind Ashby I'll be running a half on Sunday.

Ashby might be a struggle though as I have foolishly entered the Yorkshire Vets XC on the day before - uh oh!

• Dave, great stuff mate and wishing you all the best for Ashby, I have the BHF half at Longleat on Sunday, not expecting to get under 2 hrs due to lack of training but looking forward to it nonetheless image
  • GoldeagleGoldeagle ✭✭✭

Great news Dave. Take it easy on the XC! You’ve got to do Ashby, you just need that Hoody.

Good luck for Longleat, Phil. I think I mentioned the Tewkesbury Half on 19 May. Unfortunately can’t do that as it’s my daughter’s birthday that weekend so other plans are in place. Have entered Lichfield Half on 5 May if you fancy a trip to the Midlands. Supposed to be  a good race.

18 planned for tomorrow, then just Ashby next week before the taper starts.

Can’t remember whether I’ve mentioned it on here but have now entered Loch Ness at end of September. Might have a bit of trouble fitting the training in for that one due to holidays and stuff but looking forward to another weekend in Scotland.

Have  a good weekend All.

• Ooooh oooh oooh *bounce bounce bounce* We're doing Loch Ness too...We did look at the Royal Parks Ultra (50k) the week after it but the non-fundraising places have sold out and we don't want to have to commit to raising £1000 between us...so now we're looking at the Round Ripon Ultra...probably won't happen but no harm in looking is there.

Dave glad to see you didn't do any lasting damage to hammy.

We're meant to be doing 18 tomorrow too, but my office is a breeding ground for germs and I feel poop again...I've not been poorly poorly in I can't remember how long...and so far I've felt poop twice this year image bored of it now.

If they let the lions & tigers out Phil I bet you manage to get sub-2 lol...have fun image

• Apologies if this has been discussed already. I done this in 2010 and returning this year. There was parking at Mussleburgh the last time (like everything these days, at a cost). Cant see that this time. Anyone know if street parking near the venue will be readily available for family?

• Stevie, my missus usually drives down there and after a brief drive around has always got parked up without too much hassle. 

I think we got the bus back last year though which was really good despite everyone saying what a nightmare it had been in previous years. To be fair previous years have been a shambles but I felt that the organisers were starting to get it right last year

• Caz, I am so torn now, all my running pals are going to Edi and I can't, it's not fair image

Well the half at Longleat was a surprise! More hilly bits than Snowdonia, well it felt like that image Mile 1 to 5 rolling hills but miles 6 and 9 were bitches! Of course the down hill bits are awesome image At 10.5 miles the course evened out with a brilliant down hill to about mile 12 then the turn towards the finish was a straight section with the finish line about 0.5 of a mile ahead, that seemed to take forever to get to. Time was 1:56 which considering the hilly bits was a result for me, I will do it again but next time I will be better prepared for those climbs. Great day image
  • GoldeagleGoldeagle ✭✭✭

Caz, hope the plague and pestilence sorts itself out soon.

Stevie, if you're staying in Edi I would say the bus back is the best option. It was the highlight of my race in 2011 and worked really well again last year. As Dave says the organisers seem to be getting their act together and I was grudgingly impressed with last year's race especially the finishing area. 

Phil, does that mean you're going to do Loch Ness? Compared to Snowdon it'll feel like a half and you'll fly round. Well done on the run today. Sounds like a tough course.

• Ooooofffftttt!

3rd place at the Retford half in 1:14:24 (although some of you know that from FB) Pretty tough conditions with wind n a bit of snow. A former club colleague won the race and said it was the toughest conditions he had ever raced in - I didn't think it was too bad to be honest.

• GoldeagleGoldeagle ✭✭✭

It's top running Dave. Especially off the back of that injured hamstring. 

Amazingly I find I get free entry to next year's Bath Half on a 'best for age' place. Would probably have done it again anyway. Definitely will now.

• Hi all new job started last week bit manic being back on the shop floor working for a living instead of selling but. It's a job. Did Grindleford Gallop Sat in tough skerry, windy conditions. 21 miles 3000 feet ascent 3.43.... Got bad cramp in the last few miles so blew my 3.30 goal but enjoyed the race, views, soup and cakes at the end. Have a good week all.
  • mcs, well done mate, its a jungle out there as Jill found last year, took her a full 6 months to find a decent position, so well done again. As for the 21 miles, that's a great effort mate, cramp can be a real bugger when its persistent.

Well if you all didn't know a ceratin Welsh lass has her birthday the very same day as the Cardiff Half Marathon image, so if you didn't have a decent excuse before !!!!

• Ooooohhh Philby - 3 weeks before the Frankfurt marathon. Could the timing be any better? I will speak to Jo tomorrow and hopefully we can pencil this in and catch up with some of our friends in Cardiff.

Sounds like a plan

• GoldeagleGoldeagle ✭✭✭

mcs, great that you're back in work. The Gallop sounds like a tough one. Well done on getting round.

Phil, unfortunately I shall be out of the country on 6 October relaxing after Loch Ness so will have to give Cardiff a miss. Shame, sounds like it'll be a good weekend.

• GE, real shame but there you go. We are going to have to compare calendars to find an event we can meet up at. Cannot do Nessie as it's only the full or 10k, mmmm still good excuse for Jill to visit a friend up there, mmmm, let me think about that 10k.
  • image 10k???? Pfft are you a man or a mouse??  Get signed up for the marathon...you know you wanna...teehee.

Gaaaah...that's not fair telling us Fi's birthday is the same day as Cardiff HM Phil...we could do it but the travelling would be a bloody nightmare...Inverness to Cardiff image I'll have a quiet word with Mr CS and see what he thinks.

Ooooh a free race GE...get in!!! image  Do you think I could pass myself off as 150??? Probably still couldn't get GFA...

2nd attempt at 18miles yesterday...last weeks attempt was erm pitiful to say the least...as I was feeling so rough we decided to give 8miles a try, admitted defeat at just over 5 to save me from being sick at the side of the towpath.  Yesterday's attempt...much much better...managed 17.7miles, route had to be adjusted adhoc due to cows on the towpath....I don't like cows...killer cows....Mr CS was looking at the pace analysis on the Nike site afterwards and at just over 5miles it suddenly peaks...that'll be when he looked behind us and realised the noise he'd heard wasn't another runner but the posse of cows following us...I whimpered and sped up considerably lol.

• GoldeagleGoldeagle ✭✭✭

Cows on a towpath?? Amazing. Wasn't very warm yesterday so I bet they were freisian image

Well done on the miles, Caz. Great to hear you're back to fitness. 

Really need to convince Philby that the mara at Loch Ness is the way to go. He's done it before so he has a time to beat.

Ashby 20 this morning. Love these races with round figures. None of this 6.2, 13.1 or 26.2 image Started dry then rain, sleet and snow but it really is a top race. Ran it much too quick for a LSR really, 8:50 pace which is faster than my mara PB. But felt good all way round and happy to have got to the taper. 

See from the results that a certain Mr Palmer did put in an appearance. Had a look round at the start but couldn't see him. Probably in the elite tent.... image

• Freisan - hahahahahahahahahahahaha!

I was there GE but didn't hang around in the cold. Although I had to wait for my brother si had not one but two girls massaging my legs in the tent - heaven!

Tough weekend running wise for me but it was always going to be. I had managed my diary poorly and ended up with Yorkshire Vets Cross Country on Saturday which was a mudfest. Amazingly I ran 37.02 for 10k but could have gone faster. I eased off for the last lap when I knew I couldn't catch anyone or be caught. Picked up a bronze medal for 3rd place. 

Then went to Ashby to put right my bad experience from last year (saw Angie again and she says hi) Plan was to go out in 60 mins and negative split the race. I was tired early on and gave it a good go. Out in 59:13 and back in 60:21. To be honest it's about an even split as the first mile is downhill and then you do two laps with the last mile back up the hill. I was happy with 10th overall and 3rd vet although I didn't pass one runner the whole way round. I was joint leader for the first few hundred yards and then settled in at the back of a group. Got slowly picked off and realised half a mile from the end that I hadn't passed anyone. I made some effort and neraly caught the guy in front but the finish line came too quickly.

A satisfying weekend all in all.

• See you in Lichfield GE, ran it since it's birth (2 years) so want to run every year, course is flat for the majority apart from slight uphill from 1-3 miles, but nothing to worry about, looks like i'll be chasing you after your Bath half pb.

Great news on the job mcs.

Great results from Mr Palmer, i decided to stear clear of Ashby 20 this year, but i must say it is a good race.

• GoldeagleGoldeagle ✭✭✭

So Dave, you were 3 mins per mile faster than me. Amazing. Although I did run a genuine negative split with my last mile (up that hill!), my fastest, 8:22 image Things must be looking good for you for London. What's the target this year?

Some of my friends have done Lichfield, Beavis, and recommended it highly. See you there. Presume you'll be PB hunting in view of your wager with Philby.

• I'm not nailing my colours to any particular mast this year GE. London will be what it will be but............................................

My training has gone better than ever apart from a week of lurgy in January and a strained hamstring for a few days in Feb. My strength work in December has been the key to it all and I'm feeling confident. Already PB'd at half and 20 miles and hoping to complete the set with a parkrun and a 10k the week before London.

I think my biggest challenge in the build up will be to keep my mouth zipped up. I'm always one for putting targets out there as I feel it's a good motivator but as you get higher up the ladder it can become a millstone round your neck.

So, no targets, no pressure, no family supporting me, no traipsing around all day before the race either. Just me and 26.2 miles with beer for dessert!

• Dave spot on, why not just run for fun image

Well just signed up for the following:

Alexander The Great Half Marathon 16 Jun

Race the Train 17 Aug

Cardiff Half Marathon 6 Oct

Looking forward to that lot, but still looking for something possibly a 10k to half  between now and the 16 Jun within reasonable travelling distance, any suggestions ?

• image Edinburgh half Philby???

Hahahahahahaha freisan...love it.

Well done on the Ashby you two, excellent results there image

Dave whatever you do in London you can bet your bum we'll all be suitably impressed...oh and glued to the red button trying to spot you and the elusive Mr Tanner as you come through the finish line.

I've come to the conclusion I prefer farting...sorry I mean fartlek to proper intervals...especially in the evening.  Intervals are too much like hard work after work, I find them more tolerable at the weekend so I think I'm going to stick with that plan...farting mid-week and tempo at the weekend.

• GoldeagleGoldeagle ✭✭✭

Those Freisians could have done with a couple of Jerseys...

Sounds good Dave. Looks like a plan. Especially the dessert.

Caz, interesting theory. Does the wind assistance help you run faster?

Phil, not sure what you call reasonable travelling distance but I see the Alexander is in Northants so a fair distance.

As you know, I'm doing Lichfield Half on 5 May as is Beavis.

My other planned races are later in the year but one of my favourites is the B'ham Black Country Half on 6 July. A Saturday race from Wolves to Brum on the canal finishing in Brindley Place surrounded by pubs where you can toast your run. Also had showers available last year.

Wolves Half on 1 September. Not the most picturesque of runs but obviously one of my local races.

• Caz, honestly if it wasn't for the distinct possibility that this is probably the last time I see Rush live I would be at Edinburgh !!!

GE, Northants is only 80 miles so well under 2 hrs driving which is fine by me, the other reason want to do it is the proceeds are going towards injured serviceman so if anyone would like to sponsor me image???
  • GoldeagleGoldeagle ✭✭✭

So how far's Brum, Phil? A couple of beers in Brindley Place on 6 July sounds like a great idea at the moment looking out on yet more snow. Supposed to be running Ironbridge Half on Sunday. We shall see!

Be very happy to contribute to a great cause, Phil. Can I do that on-line or shall I send a cheque... image

• GE, thanks for that mate, I will be back to work on Monday and will see if I can squeeze the 6 Jul in??? It's Laura's birthday on 7 Jul so I may not be able to night stop but we will see. Well have had a extremely busy week, last weekend Jill and I had Toby to give Laura and Dave a much needed break just before she is due to give birth again, could be any day now!!! Then this Friday Adam got married to Naomi, a fantastic day for all and today we are all nursing sore heads... Did manage to get some interval training in on Thu and will hopefully resume normal trainiing on Wed when I go back onto nights image