Edinburgh Marathon

Comments

• All the very best for Sunday guys and gals who might be running go get those medals and enjoy the day bound to be a tinge of sadness for all at the start....... respect.

• Hope you've all had a good long run this weekend, the VLM or something otherwise inspiring. Looked good conditions. Boston seems so unreal.

Well done GE - would love to run Paris at some stage.

Did a marathon 10 days ago and recovered well. Managed a rather strange 30 mile run this week - longer mainly due to getting lost. Got the tram part way back, but strange looks and few passengers moving away. Only when back at hotel did I realise my (yellow) vest covered in blood. Think I scratched my side taking a short cut then the vest irritated it.

• Not a good day then Hillheader!

VLM went pretty well all in all. 61st male and 6th in the V40 category in a time of 2:33:45. I believe that's ranked No 4 for british men (V40) in 2013!!!!!

If i'm ultra critical it was windier than I expected and I lost about 50 seconds in the last 2 miles. Had nothing slower than a 5:59 for the first 24 miles then ran a 6:29 and a 6:19 for some reason?

But I can't complain as I set a new club record, beat the 2:35 target, took the mantle of top marathoner back from DT2 and also beat my running nemesis who I have never beaten before - very satisfied image

• Feckin hell Dave that's fantastic, well done!!
  • Hi,

If anyone has a Half Marathon Entry they not going to use please drop me a line, I would love to snap it up.

Thanks 

• SesamoidSesamoid ✭✭✭

Dave, long time no "speak"! Well done on London - I live in hope! and sorry all for barging in on the thread but looking for some advice. Long story short, did VLM (wrongly - off too fast / wheels off at mile 14, ended up in treatment tent at end!) but finished in 4hr 7 mins (wanted sub 345 or at least sub 4). I'm seriously considering running Edinburgh Marathon to make amends as I'm so fecked off with myself. Legs feel okay, slight tightness but dont want to lose the fitness and dont want to wait another year to run next Marathon (wives rules) to get that time or at least break 4 hours, missed around 3 1/2 weeks training (illness) from a 16 week FIRST (3 run/week schedule) plan. London was my 2nd Marathon, PB in 1/2 is 1 hr 40 mins, ran Alloa 1/2 in 1hr 44 recently. Been doing LSRs comfortably at 9 - 9.15 min miles.

Dave (I know you had always planned to run the two) / all - what do you think, stupid / stubborn / naive. Can I recover in time. I've read various different thoughts but looking for more! Any advice appreciated......

• Hi Mig!

It's more than achievable given your London experience. It sounds like London was a bad day and forgetting the mental side of it for a minute you have done nothing more than a long training run at less than your intended pace. If you commit to recovering as well as possible (and that takes some effort in terms of diet and rest) and then keep your training ticking over then you will be in no worse shape for Edi as you were in London. 

Mentally you can go one of two ways. Your confidence will be knocked by the London experience (I've been there a few times) and you either come back and run a solid effort (sometimes its a good idea to get straight back on) or you can be so down that you go to Edi and fail to commit. That gives you 2 bad experiences in a row and its tough to come back from that.

If you feel that your annoyed enough to give Edinburgh 100% then I would say go for it but adjust your expectations. I bombed at London last year and then went to Edinburgh with a plan to just run a strong race with a 1:17 and 1:22 split. As it turned out the second half was 2 mins slower than intended but it was very warm and it was good enough for 15th place.

In summary, if your angry enough to commit then make sure you get well recovered this week. If it was me I would do self massage, quit drinking (if you drink) and get some night drink to improve your sleep quality. That will all help you recover. Also eating well will improve your recovery.

Reset your goals for Edinburgh and then smash it.

For what it's worth I'm doing Edinburgh again and experimenting with a negative split. Want to run 1:20, 1:18 and thats a full 5 mins slower than my first half in London.

Hope it goes well

• SesamoidSesamoid ✭✭✭

Cheers Dave, really appreciate you taking the time to get back to me. Deffo angry enough to get even but know what you mean about screwing up second time round as well! Got a massage booked for Friday morning, which will hopefully get the last of the tightness out of my legs and definitely no running this week. I know I have got at least a sub 4 in me and want to get that put to bed as I was so geared up for London, having had a first time nightmare in 2011, which I really should have learned from along with all my other experiences. I know the Edinburgh course well as have done the 1/2 a few times and know the road anyway so there are no hidden surprises. Anyway, thanks again, I'll let you know how I get on!

PS - Absolutely amazing result again for you, really well done image

• Just another quick request - if you are doing the Edinburgh marathon and want to take part in my research project then there is still time, please just drop me an email and I'll send you the pre-study questionnaire. You just need to have 2 long runs left (over half marathon). To those already doing it, thank you very much.

• Dave, you absolute star that time was outstanding mate, so proud if you. And fwiw I think you may do even better at Edi.

Miggito, Dave made some excellent points, treat London as a bad training run, go back to s training plan for Edo as your new target. Wishing you the very best whatever you decide.

Phil
  • A little bird tells me that Caz has a new shiny PB image

• Hello everyone image. Did a 9 miler and was an idiot and ran way too quick with the last 2 miles ending as a run walk run affair, when will I flipping learn???

• Philby123,

I am the sameimage

• I do I do I do Philby image  Sorry for the late update, for some reason RW did not want to let me tell you guys on here about Manchester, I tried a couple of times and each time I didn't get a blinky line for the typey thing.  Edinburgh 2010 5:27....Disney 2012 5:32... Las Vegas 2012 5:01...Manchester 2013...drum roll please....4:40 image Was easily averaging 10min miles up to somewhere between 19 & 20miles and then I couldn't ignore the sicky feeling any longer and had to take a walk break...unfortunately once you start with the walk breaks they come on thick & fast from then on in.  Really need to get a grip on the fueling on race day...I think where I went wrong was I grabbed the water pouches had a couple of big glugs and then ditched...in training I take regular little sips...will maybe carry the water with me a bit longer at Nessie.  The support at Manchester is amazing though, there was one section...you know on the Tour deFrance you see the crowd practically on top of the cyclists...well, it was like that...absolutely amazing.  Think we'll be putting our names down for it again.

Job news....I've been for quite a few interviews, I even got offered one job...as much as I would've loved to have done it...it was at a school and I could've used their running track & fitness suite...at £7.40 an hour (35hours a week) I couldn't afford to take that big a hit.  Went for 2 interviews yesterday...1 was all that 'what would you say has been your greatest achievement' b*llocks and the other was telling me about the job & company and comparing my CV to the role...you know... 'we need someone to take charge of the accounts, I see you've done Sales, Purchase, bank reconciliation etc'... Came away from the 2nd interview feeling really positive and the job would suit me down to the ground...negotiated hours & pay...and the bloke didn't baulk at all so fingers crossed.

On the training side of things...I have turned into a sloth image  I blame the lack of routine...Mr CS comes home from work and I'm all...can't be bothered going for a run, let's stay in and slob on the couch.  Must get my act together...please feel free to don your biggest boots and give me a much needed kick up the backside.

• That's great news Caz, both the pb and the job front!

It's starting to get hot out here in the sandpit, was out running at 9 this morning in 36 degrees, so only managed 5 miles, looks like the treadmill will be getting used, and I hate them!

Hope everyone is well and enjoying their running!

• Unsure if this is the right forum but hopefully a kind soul can help. I had secured a place for the VLM but had to withdraw 6 weeks prior as my calf had a small tear. Sense the charity kindly transfered my place to Edinburgh. I had planned on doing my first sub 3 in VLM but it was very questionable as my best 1/2 had been 1:24 in March. I started running again the week before VLM and during the 5-weeks I could not run with my calf I have done a lot of hill work on my bike. I started running the last 5 weeks and averaged circa 60-75m a week. I have done 4 long runs, 20, 22, 22 and 24. 24 was last week and was at 3:06 pace.

I did a 16m run yesterday and I felt totally washed out, this morning I feel fatigued and plain worn out. I am concerned that I have overdone things and wonder if it is best I just stop running until the day or at best just do a few 6m runs. I have lost around 12ilbs the last 4-weeks.

I am not an experienced marathon runner but have been fortunate to find running fairly straight forward. This may be part of my problem. The fatigue has hit me like a ton of bricks.

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated. I am a little worried.

Andy

• Caz, that is a phenomenal result, twenty minutes improvement is a dream run, a big big well done and hug mlady image Hope the job hunt it is over quickly, it's a real pain out there, Jill is chuffed that I have been given another 2 years at Brize which means her job is safe for now, we are keeping all body parts crossed for you. Manchester sounded awesome, I may do the half there next year if they run that?

All the best

Phil 

• I have had a moment of clarity...hopefully I can hang on to it...at the start of the year I set my sights on a sub-2 at Edinburgh...training hasn't gone as well as I was hoping, in fact I'd say I've had more urgh than woohoo runs...I got made redundant and the pollen has been knocking me for six...so I'm now just going to run my own run and see what happens.

Oh and a bit of additional news....I'VE GOT A NEW JOB!!!  I had 5 interviews all really close together and there was one in particular that I wanted...and that was the one I got...actually I may get offered some of the others as they're due to make the final decisions next week, but it doesn't matter as I've accepted the one I've been offered. image

Andy, it sounds to me like you've tried to cram too much in having been out with injury for a little while...take it easy until race day, just keep the legs ticking over and have fun on the day...who knows you may still get that sub-3.

Good news that your job is safe for another 2 years Philby, that must be a relief.

• Caz, I'm chuffed for you, many congratulations, and a massive well done image

Did my annual fitness test yesterday, bleep test level 10:3, 37 press ups and 37 sit ups in a minute, not bad for my age suppose?

• Good Afternoon runners.  I am running Edinburgh Marathon this weekend and when I completed my application I declared an anticipated finish time of 3.50.  I ran VLM last year with an injury in 4.09 and training to date confirms that I am on course for my target.  My race number arrived yesterday and too my horror I am in the Yellow Pen (the last pen).  Does anyone know why I would be that far back when I was right in the middle for VLM?image

• Because there's 2 starts Darren...I'm guessing you're in the last pen on the faster start so don't worry you're actually probably right where you  need to be.  Have fun this weekend.

37 press ups AND 37 sit ups in a minute or 2 separate minutes Phil??

Talking of pen colours, I didn't get to move forward this year image 2010...purple, 2011...gold, 2012....blue, 2013...blue again...I must need to be sub-2 to move forward again.   Mr CS is in the pink which is right near the front somewhere image I have given him permission this time to start in his allocated spot rather than with me as I think this will be our last time of doing this race...unless of course there's a reunion in 2020 or something image

• Caz, no it's a minute, for each but you do them straight after the bleep test, a reunion would be awesome any year, so count me in image

• Thanks CazSoul.  That has made me feel so much better.

• Full marathon entry available. Drop me a line 07956 110845. Thanks

• GoldeagleGoldeagle ✭✭✭

Morning all,

Well done on the fitness test Phil. There's obviously life in the old dog yet image

And Caz, great news on the job front. Good luck to you and Bruce in Edinburgh. Hope you have great runs.

Down in London on Monday for the BUPA 10,000. Weather looks ok at moment. Have struggled a bit last couple of races so looking to get a decent run in and enjoy the weekend.

Have a great break everyone.

• GE keep your eyes open for Darren & Laura on Monday, they're both doing the Bupa 10k.

Looks like the weather is going to be kind to us this weekend...if only things had gone to plan...image

• GoldeagleGoldeagle ✭✭✭

Caz, you'll be fine image

• Happened to google something for a friend running Edinburgh and this thread came up. Go figure image

I'm not running Sunday after doing VLM plus a few ultras but rude not to say hello at least after meeting you all last year.

Some stonking times by people MC Dave (2:33????) , Caz (4:40?), GoldEagle (3:53) & Philby all doing well.

Good luck all on Sunday.

• Good luck to all doing Edinburgh.