Edinburgh Marathon

Comments

• ADGADG ✭✭✭

great race, rubbish time though

• Well done on Al of you who took part, again Edinburgh weather strikes again it seems! Whatever your finishing time was it's an awesome achievement just to even finish, never forget that image 

• It was hot but not excessively so and with a bit of common sense it wouldn't have been too big an issue but I made a mess of my tactics by going off way too quickly and not clipping my pace back until i was feeling too tired and cramp was setting in.

It was just a very naive run and I didn't cope with the conditions at all and ended up running out of steam at 18 miles. Was a pity as on a cooler day I'd probably still have had enough left in the tank to get me over the line in my target time. 

Also found the whole thing very oppressive from the heat, brightness, noise, and crowding of the course. 

Never say never but I'm in no rush to do another Edinburgh Marathon in a hurry at the moment although it wouldn't surprise me if I'm back next year.

• SesamoidSesamoid ✭✭✭

MC Dave - I got my sub 4 - I am feckin' delighted! Thank you for giving me the advice and push - so glad I did it now, as was having doubts a couple of weeks ago with regards to my sanity levels! Just wanted to jump back in here and say that, your advice was much appreciated and I can now relax the rest of the year until I start training for my sub 345 next year image Hope you managed to get your negative split!

Well done everyone else!!

• Hi guys,

Edinburgh was my first marathon, and I have to say I had a great time.  Parts of the course got a little congested (the narrow bits in particular), but the scenery was awesome.

I was shocked at my time being 3hr 47 mins.  I need to ask the hotel what the heck they cooked in that breakfast they served - I need that every day!!

The only downside was the bus ride home.  20 mins walk, after the marathon, followed by waiting time wasn't great.  The bus journey itself was the longest bus ride ever to cover such a short distance (it took 20 minutes just to get back to the marathon finish area!).  and because of my efforts to 'rehydrate' and replace salts after the race, let just say that 90 mins on the bus to get back to town centre left me cross-legged and really really really really needing the loo !!

• Quick question-

I see lots of complaining about the walk to the busses at the end of the race... is it really that bad?

I was doing the half and quite enjoyed the wee walk, it meant I wasn't just running over the finish line and then stopping straight away to sit on a bus. I'm pretty sure it was good for my legs to have that little extra walk.

Obviously it will be more of a painful walk for people doing the full marathon, just wondering if it's really that much more horrendous...

• The buses wern't that far really but I think some people were expecting them on-site at the finish area. 

• Huge congratulations Miggito I'm chuffed for you. It's sometimes more rewarding for runners to know that their advice has helped someone than it is to run well themselves. I remember in Worksop last year I was having an awful race but paced another runner to a PB over the last 3 miles - I was buzzing for the lad.

As for my race, well it never happened. In all honesty my head wasn't in it after my London exertions and I had decided to wothdraw about a week before. As it happened I came down with a cold and minor chest infection on the Thursday and wasn't in any fit state to run on Sunday so it was all academic. Gutted really as I  only had to beat a 2:46 for 2nd in my age group and a £50 voucher. Would like to think i had that in my legs at least.

Well, time to plan for Frankfurt now and get back to it. Managed 4 days back to back training and was hoping to go out this evening but fell asleep about 2 hours ago and just come round now. Maybe I'll practice some piano instead.

As for the busses I have used them before and they were great. Yes it's a short walk but your heading back in to town where your gonna spend the rest of the day walking around and seeing the sites anyway. I think people moan too much about stuff like this and expect it on a plate - You've run 26 miles - you should feel awesome and be floating to the bus stop

• Dave, sorry to hear Al that mate, I know that you have very high expectations for yourself but sometimes things are just out of your control. Wishing you all, the very best for Frankfurt image

Miggito, well done on your excellent result, I bet you were so happy when you crossed that line after 26.2 tough miles image

• I actually had my strangest marathon yet in Edinburgh!  Over the past couple of months I've admittedly taken on a bit too much as prior to Edinburgh I also completed Brighton Marathon (3h47m), Greater Manchester Marathon (3h43m) and Rat Race's Dirty Weekend (200 obstacles over 20 miles).

Because of this, my plan for Edinburgh was to stick to 9 min mile pace and finish in 3h55m but on the day I covered the first couple of miles in 9 min miles but then seemed to speed up as the miles went on...  I ended up completed the majority of the race at 8:30 pace with the last few miles at 8 minute/mile pace! 

In the end my finishing time was 3h38m giving me a new PB by over 5 minutes!  Can anyone explain why that was, as a week later I still can't understand how it happened?!?!

• SesamoidSesamoid ✭✭✭

Cheers Dave / Philby, it was great just knowing I was going to make it, albeit with only a couple of minutes to spare!  I actually felt sure I could have finished stronger but after I stopped for a piss at mile 18ish, it really knocked me off my stride and struggled to get going again! Sorry you missed it Dave but good luck for Frankfurt, I guess you shouldn't be too dissapointed after your London effort anyway.

Sonic, no idea but if you keep going like that you'll be sub3 before Berlin in September image

• Well did 5 miles today in v hot conditions in a not too shabby 43 minutes, looking forward to the Alexander the great half  marathon in a week or so, should be funimage 

• I'm really disappointed they're not going to be publishing the full results.  Only the 1st 1500 are on runbritain.com.  Think it's very poor for a marathon that size image

• You away on holiday Phil, surely it can't be that warm back in the UK?

• GoldeagleGoldeagle ✭✭✭

Morning guys,

WR, 'very warm' is probably about 15 degrees. Although to be fair the last couple of days have been very nice.

Good luck for the half Phil. Are you still doing 'Race the Train'?

Haven't run for a week. After BUPA 10,000 the left achilles started playing up. Need to try and get out tomorrow. Trail Wales Half in 2 weeks. 

• GoldeagleGoldeagle ✭✭✭

Trail Wales Half may be in 2 weeks but I won't be running it. Been out tonight and the achilles is not any better. Think I'm going to do the sensible thing and give it a miss. Although Loch Ness seems a long way away at the moment, it's only about 16 weeks so am going to rest up for a bit and hopefully get it sorted.

• Hi GE, sorry to hear your injuredimage Yes i an still doing RTT, should be a good fun day out, hope you get back on track for Loch Ness pdq.

• Hope the injury gets sorted GE.

• Trying to build a run streak again, today was day 15. I've been trying to avoid the treadmill but its getting hard as it gets warmer. Did 4 miles today in 43 degree heat and felt exhausted by the end. 

Back in Ireland on holiday in a few weeks and looking forward to some long trail runs in the cooler temps!

Hope everyone is well and injuries are getting sorted.

Cheers!

• WR, training outdoors in that heat is so hard, I take my hat off to you mate! I am injured at the minute with a sore knee and Sunday is going to be touch and go. Good luck with the rest of the run streak you mad barsteward image

• Cheers Phil, hope the knee sorts itself out!

• GoldeagleGoldeagle ✭✭✭

WR, well done on the streak. Hope it's continuing.

Tough luck with the knee, Phil. Hope it's nothing serious and you're ok for tomorrow.

• Thanks gents, going to make a decision in the morning with a small jog to see if its possible? Watch this space!!!

• Well that was disappointing, the first time ive been injured enough to pull out of an event image my little jog lasted all of half a mile with a constant pain in my knee so bugger! Well need to rest it then get back on track, next run is RTT in August so plenty of time.

• Looks like rest is advised, so wil force myself to NOT RUN for 7 days, if that doesn't fix it god help. Hope everyone is doing better than me?

• Hope the rest sorts the knee out. Streak continues although it is hard in the heat, I've tried the treadmill but just get bored so it looks like short runs only in the heat!

• Keep it up WR. My streak is now 4 but its not running image

• Injuries Dave? 

Btw are you still planning on running the Dubai marathon? Entries open next month!

• Ok another 4 days rest then i am going to attempt a run streak, my first image no target in mind but I'm gonna give it my best shot! Wish me luck image

• GoldeagleGoldeagle ✭✭✭

Take it easy Phil. No sense in hurrying back.

That's what I'm trying to tell myself as well. Achilles doesn't seem much improved. Haven't run for 3 weeks and as of today Loch Ness is 14 weeks away. Seems like already I'm going to be looking at a 'get round' training schedule. So would like to start in 2 weeks but will try not to take any chances and then a week in Greece realistically isn't going to involve much running. So very worst scenario I will have 10 weeks to get into the best shape I can. I know it's not much...

WR, I did have a look at Dubai and it sort of fits in quite well if I'm able to get round Loch Ness and then carry that on to January. But I also quite like the look of Barcelona in March.