Options

Coping with injury blues

Comments

• Options

Thanks for your sponsor Amy O - very kind! And I know your advice is sound. I will see how it goes this week. The cycle ws good as I could feel my muscles moving again (awful when you haven't moved them for a while). And my groin and back so far seem okay. I just did 20 mins easy and then stopped. I wanted to do more but was really good and stopped!

IF I don't get to the Robin Hood, I may look at the Worksop one as I could still tie it in with family visits etc. My sis lives in Edwinstowe next to Sherwood Forest . I have just been on autoroute to see how far away it is - and funnily enough it is 13.1 MILES!!!!!! I could run there. We will see. I have been to Clumber Park a few times when I was little and it is lovely.

How is your toe Hashette? I imagine you won't be dancing tonight? I like the advice above of dairy milk. I have a huge bar in my fridge which I was going to share with my kids tonight while watching XFACTOR but I may not show them and eat it later when hubby has gone to bed.image

• Options

Well done for not over-doing it today. My groin is feeling loads better now too, and I had a good session on the cross trainer this morning. I'm so tempted to have a run with the club tomorrow. The Sunday morning run in the woods is always my favourite. But I hope I can resist the temptation and wait until I get my new orthotics - I say HOPE of course, because I'm feeling more and more tempted all the time.

We all know our own bodies best, and only we can truly decide when it's best  to start back.

Keep me posted on your progress - Now, where's that dairy milk? Yum yum

• Options

Karen..so good news and bad news...................

I of course would say don't run it and take the sponsor ship over to the next one......................but if it was me I would propably be doing whta your doing and waiting till after the next oesteo visit to see how I was.........

we are useless at taking our own sensible advise.we know what we should do but often make the different decision...............

I'd say try and go with your gut instinct.............it also depends what else you have planned for the coming months...............if its nothing then its not as important if you delay your recovery by a few months..............if you want to do other things then its a no go

good luck all of you

• Options

Hi all - how are you all feeling? Groins Ok? Toes OK?

My back is extremely sore. I walked yesterday and I think I did a few too many miles but it was all flat and I was very slow.

I went to a friends last night and spoke to other friends there - most have sponsored me. They were all great and say that to try and run 13.1 miles in less than 2 weeks time would be stupid. And even though I hate to say it, I think I have resigned myself to the fact that they are right. I am going back to school (work) Wednesday and as I cover lessons rather than have my own classes, I have to walk round the huge school between each lesson. This week will be a challenge in itself. So...............I am going to rest and rest and be careful and start training again in a few weeks. I don't think I will manage Worksop AMyO but I will be looking for something in a couple of months time - maybe end nov? I suppose it all depends on how long it takes to get back to normal.

You know  what I hate most? Seeing people out running - it's torture! But at least while I am not training, I can drink lots of wine!image

• Options

Hi Karen - I think you've made the right decision. You clearly have some supportive friends who have helped you to make a really tough decision.

I am firmly in the 'resting things if they hurt' camp now, but I havn't always been. The reason I ended up off for 4 months was because I ran a very hilly half marathon on a badly twistered ankle. (ironically, the original ankle injury wasn't even running related, it was alcohol and dancefloor related).

So take the rest and enjoy the wine! You'll be running again before you know it

My hip is loads better now thanks, and it's been really hard not running this weekend. But i've been a good girl and followed the podiatrists advice.

• Options

Cheers Serenimage

Good on you Karen for making a difficult decision, but the right one.

Amy,  I'm really glad to hear your hip's behaving

Mixed news over here - the weekend's running fixed the out-of-joint-thanks-to-stupid-work-shoes toe, but the achillies wasn't up to it, so I'm currently on the lappy with my ankle on a block of ice.  I was supposed to be doing the Grunty Fen half when you two were doing Notts, but the way it's looking I'm going to have to drive there and watch rather than runimage.  I twisted the arms of two previously non-running friends into doing it, they've training for weeks, so I can't let them down.

Next up, ankles crossed,is Felixstowe on 4th October, then St Neots on 15th November.  Is there anything around your way(s) around then and do you think you might be up to it?

• Options

Hi all - what are we doing???? We are supposed to be getting fitter with our trainng but it seems running (as they say) is NOT the best exercise. I think we are living proof of that! However, it is the BEST exercise in my mind.

Races around my way around Oct? Yes - the eden Project are doing their first one however it's hilly and I doubt I will be ready either.

not sure about november - there seem to be more in the Spring/Autumn? Am I right or am I just looking in the wrong places?

• Options

Hi there folks - sorry to hear about the achilles Hashette, it sounds like we will all by on the sidelines together on the 13th September! I'm going to notts anyway to support my crazy friend - he is running the half marathon right in the middle of his ramadam fast - and that means no water!!!! Now folks, I'm sure you'd agree, that's seriously hard-core!

In terms of races though, I'm doing Worksop half on the 25th October, and then I've nothing much planned after that until spring.

Shall we keep track on each others progress through this thread? I want to know how you all get on with the injuries

• Options

Cannot believe your friend can have no water - what will he have to do?  Has he trained like that?

Yes we will have to all keep tabs on each other - good idea. I will also let you know when I get to do a half marathon, especially as you've sponsored me |Amy.

• Options

Bliddy hell - no water for 13 mile sounds like hard going even if the weather's a bit cooler.

Good idea re keeping tabs until we're all fit again, and I'm going to sponsor you too Karen, but not until you're fixed.  Are you two on Facebook?

Right, I need to get this flaming foot/ankle/whatever sorted, it's been yelling its head off all night.  I've done some reading up on the internet about other possible injuries apart from Achillies, and the pain is still helpfully moving around according to whatever I'm reading, so clearly a bad case of hypochondrius maximosus and I need somebody who knows what they're doing to look at it and give me a proper diagnosis.

The fizz doesn't seem to be doing much good.  I've never been to an osteopath, so was thinking of giving that a go, but haven't really much idea what one is.  Or a chiropractor.  Or a podiatrist.  This could get seriously expensive, so I need to pick the right one - what do you reckon?

• Options

Hi folks. Hashette I am not sure what a podiatrist is either. And when my back and groin went, I wasn't sure whether to go to a physio or what? As it happened our friends across the road asked me what was wrong and she knows all about stuff like that as she is a reflexologist. (Fluke they were here really as they only holiday here) - so she suggested an Osteopath and there are two on my doorstep almost. It cost me £28 and I have to go again Friday - another £28 image Awful really as feeding and clothing two kids seems to use up all our spare cash each month. However, I was an hour in there and she spent most of the time talking and really explained things - it all seemed to make sense and I even realised why my leg (the one which incidently has gone wrong now) doesn't move correctly when I swim! It's because I run like a "girl" as one boyfriend once told me. So it all has an effect to your movement and this apparently is why my knees are clicking and doing allsorts when i run. So I reckon it will be money well spent. Why don't you ring an Osteo and see what they say. If they are not the right people to look at it - they will be able to tell you who would.??

And thanks for saying you will sponsor me - it's all great and I will run a half soon!

As for facebook - I set it up last week but don't really know how to use it image embarrassed. ha ha. So it's just sitting there really. I rarely get time to be honest either and back to school tomorrow so even less time. Dread in it. I cover lessons so they love to play me up!!! Mardy teenagers mostly. ha. only joking . They are mostly lovely kids - just the odd couple who fight in the class and you think "Oh - sH*T. What do I do now?" - teenage lads are so huge!

How are you AmyO?

• Options

I think you have made the right decision Karen........its always hard...

after a good run for me saturday and sunday i was really tempted to do a local 10k on monday off road and hilly..............luckily my new sensible head kicked in and I went to watch................after 4/5 months earlier I'm a lot better at being sensible now................ I could of put myself back months when I'm really starting to make progress......

hasette......when i run I often get pains............they keep on moving though around my legs and changing legs.............thats when i know there not serious............its when the aches and pains stay in one place i get worriedimage

• Options

Hello Folks - difference between an osteopath and a chiropractor? Good question. I've just read on the osteopathy and chiropractic websites - and I'm still confused. I've no idea where physio's fit in. I don't use any at the moment. I've used a chiropractor in the past when swimming was bringing on a pain in my shoulder blades, but now I use a level 4 accredited sports massage chap who is excellent and came highly recommended.

I've recently been to a podiatrist to get my feet checked. They look at your legs from the hips down to the feet,  and relate any injuries to imbalances and movement of the feet. (called bio-mechanical assessment). I get my custom made carbon fibre orthotics on Friday - Who ever said running was a cheap hobby?????

I'm not on face book either - I think my friends despair of me

• Options

Evening all

Osteo booked for tomorrow.  He's been recommended by a friend, so that counts for something, and when I phoned him he sounded sufficiently unfriendly that he must know his stuff and not be too desperate for custom!  Reckons he deals with my sort of injury, so we'll see.

He's charging £40......image.  And that's on top of the small fortune I've already spent on the fizz.  Oh well, at least my credit card's flexible, even if my bank account isn't, and TBH if it works I'd hand over my entire overdraft to him, so here's hoping.

If this fails, then the raving lefty that once was me will sell her soul down the river yet again and go for work's BUPA cover

• Options

oh damn - I ran last night against all the good advice, and my hip's really sore today image

I only ran about 3km very steady but it's obviously irritated something. I really thought it was feeling better too, but I could feel it niggling as soon as I set off. It's yet another lesson learned for me - follow the advice of the podiatrist (who is costing me £210 of hard earned cash!!!!!)

I don't plan on telling him I ran - so promise you won't tell either image

• Options

Ha ha - I am not laughing at your hip being sore but at the fact that I have said to my hubby not to tell the Osteo that I walked so far on the camel trail on Sunday.

Bad news though - you must feel peeved! Especially as you have spent so much too - that always makes it worse.

I have been at school today so lots of walking and I noticed tonight that my groin (other side this time) is sore. My friend at school also runs and she is getting numbness in her foot at around 6 miles. My boss has promised not to put me covering PE for a few weeksimage but as it is horrendous weather, I can deal with that.

I keep seeing runners too everywhere I go - it's not fair!!

• Options

Oh no, both, and huge sympathy.

Well...... mixed news.  The osteo was gawguss!!!!!  It's really not like me to take one look at a bloke and think phwaw, but he's like something out of one of those hospital soap medical dramas from the 70s.  except he was probably still at school in the 80s and that makes me old enough to be at least his aunt if not his mother.  Oh, and I work with my OH, who overheard me raving to the girlies about how I'm about to claim from BUPA for six sessions with him and let's just say that the OH wasn't best pleasedimage

Bad news - he said that what's wrong is a mixture of things having built up over years and to do with bits being weak and being over compensated for by other bits.  He said it wouldn't be a problem if I wasn't - as he put it - an athlete.  (See - gawguss or what?  I am to being an athlete what Vinnie Jones is to diplomacy, and he probably meant "a runner" but who am I to complain!) 

The bad news is that I have to seriously ramp down my weekly mileage after I'm fixed, and do a string of exercises for ever more if I carry on running, otherwise something is going to seriously go pop and that will be it for my running career.

• Options

Well, well.......really bad news for you Hashette, that sounds pretty rubbish. I'm so glad you had it checked out when you did though, it could have got progressively worse. Take the advice and reduce the miles - and work on the exercises.

I do an exercise plan three times a week in the gym to help with core strength and injury prevention. It was a drag at first, but it soon became a normal part of my schedule.  I actually quite enjoy the strength work now - it makes a change from the running and swimming - and has given me a much better bum! image

-  to be honest though, I'm now convinced my sports trainer prescribes exercises to deliberately make me look ridiculous infront of all the dishy guys at the gym!!!! - there's nothing like balancing on a wobbly board with your leg around your ears  to put the lads off.

Karen, (shhhhh......I won't tell if you don't about the camel trail on Sunday - that can be our little secret). My hip feels loads better today, so it's reassuring that although I ran, I didn't set myself back too far. New orthotics come tomorrow!

A

• Options

Hi folks - Hasheete - at least you get to see a gorgeous Osteo - mine is a woman and I teach her daughter! no fun there then. Amy I will consider the strengthening work Amy when I am better as I think it needs doing!

Well my day has gone like this and I am sitting here really p*ssed off that I can't ever rest my back or groin so how on earth will it ever get better: Up at 6:15 to leave for work at 7:50. kids school bags etc ready. Work all day - not too bad actually so not moaning about that.  Weekly food shop - and lifting the bags from trolley to car boot. Unpack it all at home. Unload dishwasher (ouch! it hurt). Hang a pile of clothes up in everybody's wardrobes. husband DID cook dinner so can't complain too much. I hoovered (ok I shouldnt but when the food on te floor is not being eaten by the dog as it has been tere for days and no-one though to get a hoover out, I can stand it no more). THEN I had to get sleeping bags etc out of cupboard (fighting with them as they were all stuck jammed in) as kids are having a school camp tomorrow. Prepared tomorrow's lunches. Arguement with 6 year old daughter as my back was now killing and she was disagreeing with everything I said. Sat down finally at around 8:30 to do more or less the same again tomorrow. however, kids are out all night tomorrow. How do all of you cope when you are supposed to rest but everyday stuff has to be done?

Sorry I am moaning - I will be upbeat tomorrow - just ignore me if you like image

• Options
    See! Even my typing is suffering - apologies for my spellngimage
  • Options

K, Don't apologise for moaning - just remember the title of the thread (oh, and the VERY 'moany' nature of my first post of course)

I don't have the kids Karen, so I guess I have less 'everyday stuff' to do. I do have a physical, full time job though, and I'm sure that driving the works van with the dreaded 3 tonne clutch pedal doesn't help my left hip much. In fact, that's given me an idea - maybe I could claim that my injury is work related, and nothing to do with running at all? It's feeling loads better now - and i've got my new orthotics to play with.

Ps. I went to see my dad last night. I showed him the new orthotics, and when I told him they cost 50 quid he went pale and almost fainted - (I didn't dare tell them they actually  cost 250 quid - he might have had a heart attack)

• Options

Hashette wrote (see)

He said it wouldn't be a problem if I wasn't - as he put it - an athlete

sorry, meant to say folks -

Hashette - an athlete? Well done you.

• Options

Hi folks - hope your weekends are going well.

Amy - how are your Orthotics? Working out okay I hope.

How are the rest of you? how are your injuries? And Seren - where are you? All Ok?

I have just been with the dog to the canal and got speaking to a girl who had a "St Albans Half Marathon " T shirt on. I was jealous -she had just done a coastal path run - lovely day too! And my hubby is cycling as I speak from Penzance to Bodmin (about 70 odd miles). But hey ho - I am feeling fine now - tempted to do a run but I won't. I will go this week on the treadmill a few times - just 10 - 15 mins really slow.

I also found a half marathon in December which would tie in great with dropping off presents in Nottingham. not quite the same as the Robin Hood which I imagine is huge.

It's the Keyworth Turkey Trot - ha ha. So I may give that a go. Amy - if you fancy it? not too far? That gives me a few more weeks to recover before I start training  - ALL OVER A BLO*DY GAIN!!!

As for next week when I SHOULD be doing Robin Hood - I think I need to have a great day out else I will be sad so I may take the kids to Legoland image Things aren't so bad are they?

• Options

I was wondering about the orthotics too - somehow I suspect you might have tried them out this weekend, Amy. 

Really glad you're feeling better, Karen

I've been badimage  The osteo pointed out that I'm over pronating on my left foot, so my credit card had a little trip to the sports shop on Friday and bought some stability shoes.  With sorbothane insoles added, they did four miles beautifully on Friday night without so much as a grumble.  10 miles around Cambridge this morning was probably a bad idea, but it was sooooo lovely.  Out along a the side of a stream, then back through Grantchester meadows, then I get to shop at the end, so it's really got everything going for it.  The ankle is currently on ice for prevention as much as anything.

Oooh, we've got our virtual race if you two do the Keyworth Trot, I've just looked it up and it's the same day as I'm doing the Bedford Half

• Options

Hi girls, I just got back from my first run with the new orthotics. I'm only supposed to break them in very gradually (ie. 10% per day). I've just done 2 miles and it felt great!!!!!! My hip's a bit stiff  now, but I guess that's to be expected.

The keworth Turkey trot and the Bedford half??? That sounds good to me - count me in

• Options

Woohooimage 

I'm so glad to hear the orthotics were a sucess, and well done for sticking to what you've been told Amy.  The hip being a bit stiff doesn't sound too bad, so long as it's not hurting?  Fingers crossed it looks as if we're all turning the corner. 

I've been forced to be good - got a stomach bug so can't run, but it's an ill wind that blows no ankles any good, and the combination of rest and treatment seems to have helped a lot.  I had my second osteo session last night and he said that if I take it gently, I should be okay for the Grunty Fen half on Sunday.

Just got to manage to successfully eat something now!

• Options

Hi everyone

It is so hard not running when you have an injury. I'm currently receiving treatment from a sports physio for a dodgy pelvis rotation issue. I went for months not knowing what the problem was, and the chiropractor i went to was as good as useless, mis-diagnosing me and telling me to have a month off all excercise. oh, and 2-3 treatments a week for 3 months (£45 a pop)! . I felt so de-motivated knowing that I probably wouldn't be able to do the Royal Parks Half marathon in October. I was still able to go to the gym, but even then my mind was saying...'whats the point? i'm not going to be able to run anyway'.

I decided to get a second opinion. At my first appointmet with my sports physio he diagnosed a slightly twisted pelvis, gave me excersises, the total number of tretments i would need (3) and said that I will be running again in time to do my half! Yay! It's amazing how different I feel now. I was down the gym at the first opportunity with a big grin on my face.

NB, if you think that your chiropractor is taking you for a ride, he probably is! Go to a sports physio. If they don't know whats wrong then they can refer you. And don't lose your drive, it will work out in the end!

• Options

hi folks - sounds like you are all getting on really well!image At last!

I had my 2nd appt at the Osteo last night and I  feel okay but lugging a laptop around school all day has done me no good. I will organise a locker!

My other news is that I had an old woman from across the road with her HOT healing hands round! My husband came in from a 70 mile cycle ride (I was sooo jealous he was excercising all day!) and he caught me with my trousers off and laying on the setee with her hands all over me!!! ha haimage Anyway - she did a bloomin good job - I am a sceptic but I asked her about my knee which clicks out of place lately and I knew the Osteo had not gone near it. I wanted to see if she was really as good as people say - and my knee is soooo much better - has not clicked out at all since the weekend.

However - my back feels sore as I have been doing loads today and Osteo last night I suppose makes it sore too. I sent my letter out to my sponsors to let them know I will not be running Robin Hood Sunday and they have been lovely - saying not to worry. One woman even gave me some more money! I will transfer the money hopefully to the Turkey Trot!!

Amy - sounds like your Orthotics are going to really work for you - I imagine you are ecstatic!

Amy-Jaques 2 - is this your umpteenth half? Or are you a virgin?

• Options
    And Amy O - does this mean you may run Sunday or watch your friend with no water?
  • Options

hello girls, and hello Aimee Jacques - welcome to the league of frustrated, injured runners. Glad to hear you are getting your condition sorted at last.

Karen - I'm so glad your sponsors have supported you, I knew they would. Thereare only 1000 places at the Turkey trot, so we must register soon to avoid missing out

I was so disappointed because my hip was sore again after running last weekend. So I've been to my chiropractor this week - (btw - been going to him for years and really trust him). He has re-aligned my pelvis using some strange, crunching manoeuvres and it feels much better today. I'm not going to run this week because i'm going back for more crunching next week - I intend to start running properly with my new orthotics in a couple of weeks. Hopefully with the new orthotics my pelvis will stay put.

Common sense has prevailed thank goodness - my fasting mate has pulled out of notts.