Coping with injury blues

Comments

• Hi folks - you'd better make mine a soft drink image  I'm working tonight (9pm - 2am) 

You sound so frustrated Karen - but just stick with it, and the rest will definitely pay off in the long run. Keep believing that it will get better. The first run I did was on the treadmill about a week ago - and I only did 2km. But I was so thrilled when my hip didn't start hurting straight away that I nealy hugged the bloke on the treadmill next to me!

My groin and hip are still hurting after running and it's always stiff first thing in the morning. I'm just hoping that 2 more trips to chiropractor might just nail things. I sincerely hope so - this has been a very costly few weeks.

Sorry you didn't get into London SU - but all things considered, it's perhaps for the best.

4 weeks tomorrow till my half marathon.........OMG.  The furthest I've run in 9 weeks is 3km! Perhaps this is not such a good idea afetr all

• hi folks - soft drinks al lday for me too - party last night was great fun but I drank far too much - embarrassed my kids and wore big wigs all night!?(I will post a piccy later ha) but I danced last night (in heels til they slipped off) and have not had groin pain all morning - hoorah!image

AmyO - so sorry I won't be running the keyworth with you. I may start the treadmill this week though - like you, do 2K a couple of times. I can totally imagine you wanting to hug the bloke next to you - it means so much when you have thought you may not run again!

Anyway folks - I am off for coffee and then food festival in Boscastle harbour - FOOD!! DELISH! Just what I need for my hangover. (see - when you are in trining, you lay off the booze - when you are injured, you need it - it's not good!!!)image

• image Morning!

It would make so much sense to lay off the food and booze when you're injured - but I for one just can't seem to resist the temptations.

Karen - it must be great to live on the coast. I'm in land-locked nottinghamshire and it's about 100 miles in each direction to the sea. At least I have Clumber Park on the doorstep, which was totally gorgeous this morning in the autumn sunshine. I kicked about in huge piles of leaves like an overgrown kid.

No worries about the keyworth race BTW Karen, I've not bothered entering that one. I've just got Worksop half to prepare for which is 4 weeks today.

I don't know, I leave you lot alone for three days and find you've all turned into alcoholics.  Sheesh!

Excellent, I really am at home thenimage

Really glad to hear you've been signed off SD, enjoy the well-earned rest.

Welcome Tams and SU.  LOL at the Robocop image.

Hang in there Karen and Amy.    Oooh the food festival sounds fab.   Nomnomnomnomnom.  Come on then, Karen, we've got to see the wig pictures!

Fingers crossed I seem to be getting there.  Taking it very slowly, but I really can't believe how much better everything is now that I've started stretching properly and doing the yummy osteo's exercises twice a day.  Fingers toes and ankles crossed that this isn't followed by two steps back

• Evening all,

Just gearing up to returning to work tomorrow image though to be honest there is only so much daytime telly anyone can take.  Karen nice to see you have continued the age old tradition of embarrassing your children, well it is not like we were born with them image

In answer to your earlier post this will be number 2!  Number 1 I sent off to the land of nod with Aladdin or as he says Galaddin.  Also I can top your husband as I fell asleep at the labour of the 1st! (to be fair so did the wife!)

It appears that today has been a day for nursing the livers then!  Glad to hear some of you all are pounding out a few K's - I know that will be my potential downfall - trying to do too much too soon.  However, I understand a metatarsal fracture, heals quick.....  If nothing else this thread has taught me there must be patience and alcohol!image

By the way has anyone signed up to do the Llanelli half as that is now my target "back to fitness" race 7th March? (and also will be my 1st half!)

Well good luck everyone to another pain free training session - How I would have loved to have seen the mans face on the other treadmillimage

• Hey folks - hope work was okay for you all. I covered language lessons again today with tiny year 7's - all still new and well behaved. All good stuff.

Then I popped into the gym on the way home and managed 2 miles on the treadmill and so far - no pain. I was thinking of you all! How proud you would have been!!! Fighting at Forty! However I do know that this is still a slow process and one which needs a treadmill rather than concrete for a while so I am going to have to have rest days and do no more distnace than this for a while.

Tell me your news everyone - have you managed another run AmyO? And Hashette - is it all still holding up well?

Take care folks and will speak later

• Morning all.  My computer has just revived after I spilled tea all over it last week (yes tea, not gin!).  I was very naughty on Sunday and went out for a slow 2 mile run.  I got some funny looks running with my arm in bright pink plaster (not easy) but it was sooooo good.  Going to the gym today to try a bike again (boring) and some weights.  I'm trying to get something positive out of this - I've always been prone to ITB problems and was told once that I should work on strengthing my glutes so if I'm going back to square on at the end of this I might as well do it right. 

Fighting at 40 Karen??  Wait till you have to start battling at 50!  Well done on getting on the tready. 

Good luck on your continuing improvement Hashette and Amy.

Good luck to your wife Stumbling! image image

• Hello everyone - and big congrats on your impending new arrival SU.

Well done Karen J on the treadmill run - keep up the good work. I was so proud of my first 2km treadmill run last week - i totally understand that 'proud' feeling, we are so proud of you too!   (i'm celebrating for you with a large GnT, and a generous wedge of the cadburys dairy milk)

Been to chiroprator today - OMG! big pain tonight after having left leg pulled and twistered in the most bizzare directions.

Had major kitchen flood this week, so running not been high on my list on daily priorities.......... washing mountain is growing higher by the hour.  Has anyone got some spare buckets?

Ps. may have to wear T shirt to work tomorrow - I think that's against the rules

• hAD TOO MUCHTO DRINK , omg, please ignore spelling mistakes in above most

• Evening All,

nice to see the standard has remained slightly above my own level image

Thanks for the well wishes I will pass them on, as the other half has now hit the "spreading" stage as she likes to put it!  Also I wish my body would realise I am NOT running at the moment, as my appetite just has not gone!  Let's just say I am still classed as a "heavy" runner so this urge for alcohol, biscuits and chocolate is doing the waistline no good!

Amy sorry to hear about the flood, hope you didn't also get stung with a plumbing bill!  Soup Dragon - Tea?  You ought to be ashamed image

Well jealous of you all as I can't believe how much I am missing running(even the 2k run outs!)  Not helped by sitting opposite a colleague at work who is not only running the Cardiff Half but also has a place in the VLM!  Some people are just SOOOOOO SMUG! image

Well Karen before you know it you will be back up to 10K distance!

Well only 2 days to the weekend image

Here's to the continuing road to recovery and Amy - love your style!

• SU next time your colleague has a smug moment just imagine all our hands flying out of the screen and giving her (why do I assume it's a her?)  a good virtual slap in the smug chopsimage.  

OMG Amy that's awful re the flood and I hope it hasn't done too much damage.  I think we shared paid-for pain last night.  The yummy osto has narrowed my problem down to a muscle that's supposed to keep the spine straight which is overworked on one side to compensate for everything that's going wrong in the leg on the opposite side.  Let's just say that when he says "breathe in" I translate as "here it comes" and when he says "breathe out", it means "brace yourself" and will be followed by a sharp cracking noise coming from my back.   image

LOL at the image SD

Good on you Karen, really chuffed to hear it.

• Hello and Happy Friday evening! I can't download my wig piccy - sorryimage but in honour of wigs me and hubby are having a party 14th nov and the theme is wigs!!! We are 80 this year (40 each) so you are all invited as virtual party animals image

Soup Dragon - I think pink plaster must display yur feminine side and that's good - really! ha ha.

Ha ha - AmyO - have a drink on me! You love your drink like us all! How is the kitchen - sounds a disaster!

Can't believe you have another injury - I think once we have injureed ourselves that we are prone to it - I was fone - went to Tesco - got a basket - bought far too much and did my back in - POO! Why oh why did I not choose a trolley? Today groin pain back - but I will rest tomorrow - although fitting garage out as a gym!!! Tredmill arrives in about 3 weeks. (well when you live where I do and tot up the cost of petrol to the gym - it's cheaper!!) Exciting!

SU - enjoy your chance to eat at the mo - savour it - in a few weeks time - you will not have time to eat!!!!  And yes - don't you hate smug colleagues who come in all red faced after a morning run - naff off!!!! I don't wanna hear about it. Keep eating - you will be working it off in no time.

Anyway I am off now to watch Benidorm - I love it!! Hilarious.

• <hands Amy a bucket and starts helping to mop>  Sorry I'm a bit late helping Amy - hope its sorted soon.

I went to the cycle show today and ended up having a biomechanics assessment which has left me £180 out of pocket on orthotics. Thats the pedals I was planning out of the window.  Just hope it works but it was interesting to see just how bad my posture is - even on standing and walking.  Now I know why I get back pain and hip pain - I stand really forward on my feet and it makes my back arch. image I hope I don't need to see an osteo after Hashette's description - ouch!

SU - hope you get the last laugh from the smugness.  VLM - pah! (jealous, me? image)

Like the sound of a garage gym - great idea.

• Hi folks - Saturday night and no party to go to! Next week we do have one to go to so wine at home tonightimage ready to watch my mate in her first triathlon tomorrow. Then big lunch at ours afterwards and more wine of courseimageimage!!!!

Well I have spent all day sorting the garage ready for our gym and wonder if I should have done it! My back and groin ache but I am hoping after a good nights sleep I will be okay - very stupid I am!!!

how is the kitchen now AmyO?

Hope your weekends are all relaxing and Monday still seems a long way away - that is of course if you all don't work weekends?? I have two more weeks at school then a week off - I do love school holidays!!!!image

• Evening all - hope your weekends are going well. I've been asleep most of this afternoon  - but I'm off to work in an hour - aarrrgh image

Enjoy the school hols Karen - (BTW - Big respect to Karen here - I can't imagine a more demanding job than being a school teacher!). I'm lovin'  the idea of SD running in a pink plaster cast - (i'm assuming this was recommended by the fracture clinic at A&E?)

Flooded kitchen mostly sorted now thanks - but washing mountain is still faily huge, oh, and all kitchen floor tiles been taken away. But ha ho, worse things happen.

Three weeks tomorrow till worksop half marathon by the way.........ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.........(breath)......ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ........... > AmyO laughs outragerously to herself at how crazy this sounds <   

The furthest I've run for  months is 5km, and the chiropractor said my hip's still a bit messed up. I'm going back for more leg cracking on wednesday.  I'm going out for a run round clumber park in the morning, but can't see me going far.

• AmyO wrote (see)

I'm lovin'  the idea of SD running in a pink plaster cast - (i'm assuming this was recommended by the fracture clinic at A&E?)

errrm..... no! image 
  • Can you run/walk at Worksop Amy?  It would be a shame to miss it but worse still to make set your injury back.  (I'm sure you've already thought about all this, I'm just thinking out loud, sorry).

Good luck with the laudry.  One advantage of being in plaster is that it gave me an excuse to send all the ironing to a cleaners which irons 10 items for £6.  I sent all my stuff there so hope its okay when it comes back on Monday.

• I actually  took some washing to my mum's today, with the simple instruction to just wash it and fold it up wet. But it came back all dry and fluffy and smelling lovely - and guess what? My shirts were ironed too. (It's almost worth having a flooded kitchen for).

I may just run and walk around worksop half marathon - but i've had so much chiropractic and podiatric treatment this year that  I don't want to run too far and set myself back.

I'm going to have a short run around clumber park in the morning when I get back from work. I'm just grateful to be running at all at the moment, having spent many months totally unable to run.

How many weeks in plaster cast now SD?

• Not sure how long AmyO.  Back to fracture clinic a week on Tuesday for more xrays so I'm keeping my  fingers crossed for then.  I'll also say how much I've been resting it. image

I'm keen to get back on my bike before I lose confidence - planning a big triathlon next year.

• Soup Dragon wrote (see)

I'll also say how much I've been resting it. image

Don't worry SD - your secret is safe with us image

I'd love to do a tri one day - it's one of my goals. 

Bye bye  for now SD, duty calls.

• Fingers crossed for Tuesday SD

Amy, if you do decide to do Worksop then run/walk sounds like a plan and hope it goes well

I'd love to do a tri but there's no chance.  I had my head pushed under the water when aged 8 by a swimming teacher, so have a phobia.  I've since had swimming lessons, and ironically thanks to running have a kick that can push me half way across a pool if I have someone I trust standing near me to catch me if I panic.  Without that I panic, lose it, scare myself and it all goes horribly pear shaped

Ho hum, at least  I can run in the rain!

• AmyO wrote (see)

Three weeks tomorrow till worksop half marathon by the way.........ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.........(breath)......ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ........... > AmyO laughs outragerously to herself at how crazy this sounds <   

I've just realised my mistake, by the way - it's actually only two weeks today 'till worksop half marathon. This obviously makes it even funnier than before.

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha (GASP) hahahahahahaha.............Ha HA HA

• ha ha ha ha - that's awful really - realising it's actually 2 weeks - you will be fine though - just don't push it.

cannot believe you had your head pushed under water  y a teacher - what the hell were they thinking of!!?? My friend manager her triathlon Sunday - really proud of her - awful weather but she did it!! I fed her lots and gave her wine.

Pink plaster still on ?

And as for teachers having it hard - I COVER lessons so basically I am now sat here with year 12's while they all work hard and I am writing this!! Not always hard work - but yes some awful times too! Today looks pretty easy though - drama, english and french. And nice classes!

Gotta go - bell gone x

• PS - did tredmill again last night - all ok!

• Pink plaster plod for 2 miles. image   One more week to go and then I might be set free. image

Worksop 2 weeks - oh dear.

Karen - I couldn't teach if my life depended on it.  I think if you don't get problems from kids and lessons are quiet that must be a sign that you are a good teacher.

Anyone can do a triathlon by the way.  If I can do them theres no excuse - especially the short pool based ones.  One person even walked some of the swim at Stratford last year - honest! 

• Karen, let's just say that it was a convent school in the 1960s and thankfully things have changed since then.  I've also got dreadful handwriting because the teacher kept telling me to lift the last letter up from the line of the paper rather than finish on it, I couldn't get the hang of it, so if she caught me doing it when we were copying from the blackboard a ruler would fly out unexpectedly and rap me sharply across the knuckles.

Fab news re the treaddie successimage

Well done on the PPP SD. 

Deep breaths, Amy!

• Can I jump in on this thread? havent read it all but ge the gist and now have to vent my woes- went from a real high as got a place in the VLM next year, to then being diagnosed with shin splints within the same week image 

Havent ran now for 4 days, am climbing up the walls! its so frustrating isnt it? and the weather is glorious today! perfect running day ....... image

• 'course you can Hummo and welcome.  We all know exactly  what you mean about the frustration.

Congrats on the VLM place - you will run it, shin splints aren't the end of the world, just need managing.  The odd G&T helps a lot tooimage