Coping with injury blues

12346»

Comments

• lol thanks Hashette- shall make sure I indulge in some G&T for "medical reasons" image
  • Welcome Hummo!

hi everyone else - hope your day is okay. Went on treadmill Monday for 2 miles but sped up a little - still slow though! Groin a little sore today but seem to be on my feet a lot lately too..........I think once a week at the mo is enough - anymore I reckon I could do more damage. STILL waiting for NHS physio - do they expect you to wait til you can't walk before they put it right? I should ring them.........

Quiet class was nothing to do with good teaching - they were all year 12's that day. I have tiny year 7's next for drama! 32 of them acting out bullying!!! IS GONNA BE VERY ROWDY!!! Tonight - I take my little lad to open evening at his new secondary school - this is so scary - I am getting old. Soon he will shave!!!!!!! This is not happening to me - I  am still 23 in my mind image . It is a sports college though in Bude and he loves his sport so should be very good for him

PS - he WON - yes WON the AREA sports 800 meters (he is 10). What a boy!image

• That makes you two years younger than me Karen - in my head I'm 25!  I've no idea who that wrinkly old woman in the mirror is.....

Well done to the not-so-little 'un, and for being so restrained on the running front.  I'd definitely phone them to chase them up on the physio - what's to lose?  Besides, I losing details of people waiting for appointments is part of the process isn't it - it cuts down on the waiting lists.

I'll slap myself for being so cynical later

• Honestly Hash, how cynical are you getting these days? You'll be telling me next that MP's fiddle their expense claims.  BTW Hash, how's your running coming on these days?

I love the idea of the pink plaster plod SD - That made me LOL

Karen, you seem to be making steady progress on the treadmill, and that's excellent news. That's exactly how I started out 3 weeks ago - and besides some inevitable hip pain and a few depressing set backs, I've now progressed to 3 short road runs per week. Chiropractor's done some more hip and leg crunching today, so it's all reqally sore again now.

I've pulled out of worksop half marathon on the advice of chiropractor. I've volunteered to be a race marshall instead - I've got a yellow tabard and a flag!

Welcome along to the thread Hummo - Please help yourself to a drink from the bar

http://www.worldofstock.com/slides/PFO2126.jpg

• ha ha - 9:02 in the morning and I am ssat infront of your bar - things must be getting bad!!

Groin pain today but like you said AmyO you had hip pains ater your runs - I know I can't push it - but my treadmill arrives Monday image Maybe I could do 1 mile or less each night to build up - what do you think - rather than 2 miles or more in one go??? Gonna be hard to stay off it now I have my own gym (don't I sound posh!!)

Hope you are all okay and managing with your injuries - I am beginning to llose track of everyone's pains etc - it's the age AND the booze. Friends tonight  for more drinkimage. Then fair on Friday with lots of hotdogs and candyfloss - then ANOTHER party Saturdya with MORE DRINK!!!! Help me.............I used to be fit!!

• Are we all better now? Hope you all are!

I have been on treadmill a few good times now - no road running but fingers crossed all okay.

• I just got cleared to start running again, .25 mile incremental increases, every other day.

The first day back was pretty funny, actually.  It was a bit like loosing my virginity, really.  I carefully picked the day and time, selected my outfit, and spent the time before nervous about if it would hurt, if I was going to be good at it, and wondering how everything would work out.  So I started off and it was glorious and felt so natural and good and I could hardly wait to do it again.image

• Wayheyimageimageimage

I'm really, really pleased to hear it, I was wondering how everyone was getting on - hoping that not being on this thread was a good sign rather than a bad one.  Hope you're on the mend too Amy.

Fingers crossed I'm now okay.  I ran another half a couple of weeks ago, only gently, and ankles crossed it was fine.  I get the occasional twinge, but the osteo has shown me how to do DIY massage and it really does work.  I just need to make sure I do his wretched - boring!!! - exercises regularly.  Finding time to do a two hour run on a Sunday is easy, but finding 15 minutes to do the stretches and stuff is a lot more difficult!

• I still have to do 45 min of exercises every morning and evening, which is really hard to do sometimes.  One trick that has helped me with the boredom aspect of it is I listen to podcasts that I enjoy while doing them.  As I enjoy the podcasts, it makes it easier to do the boring, difficult, and sometimes painful exercises, especially early in the morning.
  • Hello everyone........The three weeks in Jamaica was fab - the caribbean sunshine and endless rum cocktails set me up a treat. I'm glad to hear you are making good progress with the injuries and the training - I'm virtually mended now I think.

I did my first half marathon in 18 months yesterday - and it felt amazing. Please don't laugh out loud, but when I set off at the start and heard that familiar sound of all those hundreds of runners feet hitting the ground, I nearly started crying. It felt great. (Time??? - 1:44:13. Not too bad really).

• Absolutely fantastic, go Amyimageimageimage

Congratulations on being well and truly off the bench.  What an absolutely stonkingly brilliant time, well done! 

• Thanks for the support Hash, and thanks to everyone else on this thread for their suport (and the gin of course) during my recovery. Next race is a 10k on the 13 december

I really hope you are all well, and making good progress with the running. I feel really lucky to be back on track after only a few months. You only have to look at all the other 'injury threads' on this forum to realise how common injuries are and how long people can suffer. I was reading a thread about a guy who's been injured so many times he's lost count. He'd had the lot - runners knee, PF, IT Band, stress fracture.......you name it. Reading this site has reassured me that injuries are almost an intergral part of being a competitive runner.

Good luck guys, and keep in touch

• Happy Christmas everyone! I have not been on this thread for ages as I have lost heart......

You all sound as though you are keeping fit and getting on well - Amy - I would cry in a half marathn too! I see you have been onthe rum now? Where abouts did you go? I went to Ocho Rios many moons ago - fab - swam in YS Falls and climbed Dnns River Falls too.

Hashette - how are you?

Well I still have my groin inury - it has never gone away - last week I did just 1 k on the treadmill and had to stop - two days later I thought I had done all the damage again as it was killing me - it seems okay though - just abot twingy! I am not going to do anything now til summer - it is obvious this needs a real long time to recover. I can't even walk the beautiful hills on the coast arund here in Cornwall - I  could get really don but things could be worse though. I have my two beautiful kids this Xmas unlike my cousin who is facing his first one without his lad. And it's an excuse for me to relax my leg! People can pass me drinks! ha ha. I raised a whopping £441 for CLIC SARGENT by the way - for doing nothing in the end! Thank you. Hopefully one day I will RUN for charity!

Carry on running and training everyone - it's all good for the heart (maybe not the groin! hmmm) and the mind - so is drinking gin x x x Enjoy and be merry!