Worst goody bag

2»

Comments

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    I'm still having a chuckle over 5kg of cheese as a raffle prize.  I suppose the organisers would point out the nutritional benefits to runners of protein, calcium and other essential nutrients.  image
  • Parky afraid the race it's self costs tons for road closers. There was a breakdown in runner's world a few months ago. Most of the stuff you get in goody bags are freebies from companies trying to get you buy there stuff. That's way those Swedish sweeties turned up everywhere this last year.
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Er, you pay money to enter a race, not for a bag of "words from our sponsor", surely?

As you say, Parklife, you've paid money to compete.  They don't buy the items in question - they are given them as advertising, or as a gesture (by supermarkets, who are stuck with a load of cranberry sauce....)

Most races seem to not have them any more - I've not had a goody bag for years.  Perhaps organisers felt they weren't appreciated image

• Re: the leftovers comment

Petal (my missus) won her age group at Zurich triathlon - she went up to get her prize and was given a bunch of flowers (nice) and a plastic bag with something heavy in it. one of the race sponsors was a breakfast cereal supplier and the goody bags we had when registering had a sample pack inside.

she had only won 2kg of said cereal...... image

anyway - as per Wilks - I've not seen a decent goody bag for years and frankly don't worry about the contents any more. it often seems that the smaller the event, the better the bag.........
  • Trisha Goddard DVD at the Jane Tomlinson Run for All in Leeds. To be fair there was a sheet in there with a message of support from her what with having cancer and such. But at the end of the day i'll bet she was having to pay storage on those 12,000 or so unsold discs.  And the Darlington 10K this year had a very nice Tshirt and nothing else, other than a very strange, chemically tasting Subway "cookie". Nasty.

Actually, thinking about it, a lot of the competitors could have done with the (work-out)DVD before the race. Maybe I just wasn't the target market. 

• it's usually stuff which obviously fails to sell.  Sticky , fusty old museli bars in weird flavours, miniscule bags of peanuts, all not far off their sell by date. 

Best though was the Edinburgh half a couple of years ago - nice big tin of Green and Blacks chocolate covered shortbread   image.    The year later the recession must have hit as it was a bottle of water and some flyers!

Would be happy to do without, although the bags do allow identificication of fellow participants on the bus home!

• Worst is the usual carrier bag full of leaflets plus a manky energy gel. I gave it away to a friend before he did a 15 mile run, he ate it at around 10 miles and instantly regretted it image

On the other hand, Ive had some really good prizes, the best I'd say was the black rucksack from Brass Monkey half this year. I've used it loads, for taking clean kit to other races, keeping my swimming stuff in, overnight stays etc..... Not really keen on t-shirts as I never wear them, they just stay in the plastic. Had a few mugs instead of t-shirts, which is a much better idea IMO. Oh, and at this year's Redcar half got a one of those cotton bag for life thingies, handy to fold up and put in my bag for if I get any random shopping items image

As much as I'm not keen on GNR, their goody bags are usually pretty decent (although for the price you pay to do it they should be!) - mini shower gels, deodorants, space blankets that can be kept for winter races, bottle of lucozade. Things you can actually use post-run!

• Did the Sefton Park Big Fun Run and have to admit it was an aexcellent goody bag with a variety of stuff.

The problem was the refreshing moisturising face cream sample for a well known brand which I duly used straight away.. .to discover within 24 hours as the skin peeled off my excrutiatingly itchy face that I was allergic to it....It was like chemical sunburn!

• betty did you say green and blacks?image
  • Chocolate radar running slow today Cake?  It took you 42 mins.  I'd've had it all eaten in that time ... image
  • Yep!  Think it was a one-off though, pre credit-crunch.
  • image That's a good name for a chocolate-covered biscuit.
  • I got half a banana and a packet of out of date mints after my first 10 miler a couple of years ago.

Although, I run so slowly, they could have been in date when we set off... image

• LOL FB I was going to make a comment about Petal's cereal 'prize'. Who ended up with it??
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Lady Wot Jogs wrote (see)
    Paris Marathon we had a couple of mens products in the bag regardless of our gender.  It was all written in french.  I thought one of the items was an energy gel, but it wasn't and i found out the hard way image
    Heh ... reminds me of the time my then mother-in-law was visiting. Being from places abroad with a different alphabet, she didn't speak or read English. She came out the bathroom spitting and asking why our toothpaste tasted so vile. It wasn't toothpaste but Germoloids cream.
  • Muttley - did you tell her to use it around the eyes to get rid of wrinkles?
  • Muttley wrote (see)
    Lady Wot Jogs wrote (see)
    Paris Marathon we had a couple of mens products in the bag regardless of our gender.  It was all written in french.  I thought one of the items was an energy gel, but it wasn't and i found out the hard way image
    Heh ... reminds me of the time my then mother-in-law was visiting. Being from places abroad with a different alphabet, she didn't speak or read English. She came out the bathroom spitting and asking why our toothpaste tasted so vile. It wasn't toothpaste but Germoloids cream.
    I'm curious what men's products where these? Was it hair gel or something a little more embarrassing?image
  • One of them was a full-sized bottle of showergel. It smelt quite nice actually - I used it and I didn't turn into a man.
  • I've had cranberry sauce too! The best thing I ever got was a box of Green and Blacks biscuits...hasn't happened again though : ( Better than "mens products regardless of gender" our local race for life (yes a race for women) gave us Nivea shower gel 'for men'. Hmmmmm
  • A voucher for 20% off my next purchase of bread.
  • I suppose it would save you some dough, maybe 20 pence.
    I would have thought after a run it's the yeast thing you want, a bottle of water would be better.
  • Adidas 5k yesterday had thee cranberry sauce jar too! Must be a job lot of them laying around somewhere!

Other weird contents were a booklet about household cleaning tips and a box of breakfast cereals. 

There was some useful stuff in there too like a bottle of Lucozade, bottle of water and an apple, mini can of deodrant and an adidas T-shirt.

• Ah, Reading Half Soup. Good times....
  • I've done quite a bit of running in the US and there the sponsors insist on getting their names on and their products to the competitors so if you don't mind looking like a mobile billboard there are lots of goodies to be had. The best value (outside the event itself) I've ever encountered was the Hawaii Ironman in 84 (hence my handle) where for $100 entry fee (a lot in those days) you got a complete (event branded) running kit (I still use the hat), muscle shirt, tickets to pre-event carbo load and post event dinner / presentation parties, all the Bud***** (don't want to advertise) lite you could down, event programme, vouchers for discounts and freebies all over Kona, muesli bars and skin creams a plenty all before you start. Then - after a bit of swimming, cycling and a trot across the lava fields - you get a medal and the coveted "finisher" t-shirt. Some weeks later a full set of results and a certificate plopped through the letterbox. Ahhh those halcyon days.
  • Just give me a medal or other little momento, and reduce the entry fee!