Can sports massage cause injuey?

I went for a particularly vigarous sports massage last night and am feeling extremely sore this morning. I'm wondering whether any damage has been done. I'm used to a bit of soreness the next day but this feels like it could actually be an injury. Has anyone else had this problem before?

Comments

• to answer your question - unlikely

if you had a vigorous one then undoubtedly your muscles will feel as if they have been injured but it won't be an injury per se........

it's usually advisable to take a day or so out after a deep sports massage to let the muscles recover.....then you will feel the benefit
  • The worst I've had is bruising after my first sports massage ... I've often had very tender muscles for a day or two after a particularly vigorous massage.  But it is worth the pain.

• Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    I'm supposed to be doing an interval session with my club tonight- would this be inadvisable?
  • Probably not luke as if your muscles havent had chance to rest after the beating they received from the massage then your leaving yourself open to further damage, then you will really have an injury to talk about. Consider the options, miss one interval session and run as much as you like next week, or run tonight with the possibility of not running for a week with an injury........................

Or maybe im just being over catious as I injured myself last night doing an 8mile hill session too soon after another injury grrrrrrr!

• I wouldn't do an interval session tonight Luke

the deep massages that I've had have tended to preceed a big event like a marathon and are done about 4/5 days in advance when into heavy taper anyway so little running happening.....that way the legs are nice and fresh and importantly, recovered, for race day
  • I have been sore for a couple of days after a sports massage before in the areas that have been worked on. I usually just have a bath in Epsom salts and have a few Ibuprofen which helps.

Sports massage can be painful but always found it to be worth the pain.