Bradford City 10

Comments

• Everyone ready? The start sounds like it could be a bit of a 'mare if they're starting everyone off at the same time - hopefully there'll be some sort of "self seeding" available.
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    even found a car park that is free on sunday    the one at Sharpe st.
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

what a great race    did the 10 mile in 1h13   and thats with a bruised knee  loved the runs though the parks

I have done Blackpool mararthon 3 times    and going to do Bradford next year   and I think it will be easier   with the loops 

Holmfirth 15 next week for me

• Found the  course tough today, but I haven't ran for a while. Was hoping for a sub 1:20 and managed 1:14 so very pleased!

Not sure about the marathon though... Would like an easier course for my first. Would have liked a water stop in Bolling park, especially after the hard climb up there!

Overall though better than I thought it would be!

• Good running guys, well done. It was a super race today - I liked the clear, chilly weather conditions. The marshalling organisation was very good and I was very impressed at how easy it was to get right at the front on the start-line: Spacious and a good atmosphere.

I managed 61:58 (unofficial!) which was well under my target of 65. The hills weren't as steep or long as I thought they'd be which was good so I got faster as the race went on (big negative split and sprinted the last mile in 5:15ish - very good for me!!) Will definitely do the marathon, I wonder what time of year it'll be?

• Have to say I wasn't hugely impressed - first loop was good (although in these days of GPS I can't see why they can't get mile markers at least roughly in the right place), but the second loop was a bit pants - twists and turns through industrial units and mostly out and back. Agree the parks were good.

Also thought the course might have been a bit long - certainly the 9m market was way past where it should have been.

Still - a PB, 3rd V45 and (after waiting for nearly two hours for a presentation that never happened) a ten quid voucher.

Won't be doing the marathon though...
  • CJ - I think you passed me about mile 8 - did you have a black vest on? I had just passed a guy in a yellow vest and I had a red/green Ilkley vest on. Certainly someone in a black vest passed us who came out of nowhere and disappeared off into the distance. I think you took about 30 seconds out of me in 2 miles - and I was going reasonably quickly! Well done - did you get top 20? I think I was 23rd overall.
  • Oh - and the marathon is the same weekend - middle of October - I think they said 18th.
  • Andy - well done on 3rd V45! Yes I remember passing you and the yellow vest guy... I thought you were going to come back at me because you looked strong so I was looking behind for a bit image Probably I should have gone off quicker, my last two miles were really too quick compared to my other splits... still got to work on tactics I guess. (Came 17th overall).

My GPS registered 10.1 miles overall so close enough but I agree with you about the mile markers - some were about 1/3 of a mile out I felt!

• I quite enjoyed it, first half definately better than 2nd half.

But is it just me, or is there some really random mile marking going on?

According to my Garmin, the race was 10.14 miles overall, the first half was just over 4.5, the 5 mile marker was way round the corner on the ring road. So the 5 mile race seemed way short of 5 miles. Can that be right? 

• my favourite dress - yes I think the second loop was a bit longer than the first, the 5 mile race probably was a bit short. I was going by my Garmin's mile indicators rather than the signs because it was clear the markers were just estimates at best - but on the plus side the 9 mile marker was much closer to the finish than it should have been!
  • And Andy - you were 18th overall not 23rd! Just one place and 37 seconds behind me:

http://www.racetimingsystems.com/public/results.aspx?raceid=973

• I thought it was a very well run event, but I was disappointed at the poor turnout. With all the publicity and a marathon to run next year I'd have hoped they could have drummed up a bit more support. I found the second half easier and thought I'd got into a decent rhythm, but the chip tells me otherwise and shows a slower second half. I was a bit disappointed with my time of 1hr 28 (I'd been aiming for 1hr 20), but I'm very glad I did it.
  • Hi everyone

I took part in today's race and rather enjoyed it. I'm a slow runner so didn't have a target time but managed it in 1hr57...rather slow but I'm not bothered.

Glad its not only me that though the mile markers were out, the 9 marker was soo in the wrong place, it was a long mile image

Good fun though!

•  
    anonymous wrote (see)
    I found the second half easier and thought I'd got into a decent rhythm, but the chip tells me otherwise and shows a slower second half.

That's because by my reckoning, the second "half" was about 5.64 miles! Next time, I'm doing the first loop twice!

• CJ - yes - I've seen the results now - on the "self-service" screen they had I was showing as 23rd. Wonder what happened to the other 5 people? Pleased with top 20 - and amy yen quid voucher!
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

Tony the tash

1h14 was the gun time I got   I was in a blue and white t-shirt  with writing on the back  someone running at the side of me said lets do a sprint finish   this person got in before me  but having a sore knee   I think I did better then i though i would

roll on the marathon  

• Really enjoyed this race-good atmosphere and very well organised.Wish I hadnt slowed down as I passed the first finish though-might have got a second or 2 faster!.Will book in for the marathon as soon as I'm able.
  • Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

I'd mapped out the run in advance ... some of the mile markers were in the right place but a few weren't. http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/united-kingdom/-bradford/784125534732924837

The first loop of the 10 mile run was 4.65 miles ... actually, if you look at the map on the Bradford Council website, the 5 mile runners were supposed to do an extra loop around the city hall ... but they didn't, so it ended up very short.

http://www.bradfordcitymarathon.com/course_map.htm

So, the official splits for the 10 mile runners on the results page are for 4.65 miles and 5.35 miles ...

Good race and very good organisation.  Aside from the "5 mile" race actually being 4.65 miles, my only gripe was that the finish line was very confusing because it came 30m or so after the start line and was also around the corner from it. Loads of runners saw the clock from the end of market street and sprinted to the line ... and then stopped as they went under the clock and over the mats  ... only to realise that they still hadn't finished. It happened to me and it was so frustrating watching it happen to so many others after I'd come in.

Oh, and I really think that a junior race should start and end in the same place ... my kids didn't do it because of this (how can parents drop off in Lister Park and collect in Centenery Square?).

HOWEVER, I actually REALLY enjoyed the run and thought is was well organised in the main.

• Really enjoyed this and was surprised to get a PB too.  Does anyone know if there are any photos to buy or look at (I've tried sportcam)?  First run for my club so feel a memento coming on and saw lots of photographers around the course.
  • www.myfrozenphoto.co.uk - uploaded tomorrow, apparently.
  • There were good and bad points with the race.

Good - weather was perfect, discount vouchers for Sportshoes, support along the route.

Bad - random mile markers, confusion at halfway/finish point, excessive twists and turns on the second half, not the most scenic of routes, dubious value for money.

Apologies to organisers and Bradfordians alike, but all in all, I'll be giving next year's marathon a miss. 

• GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭
    it's bradford mate, you're not going to get a scenic route. What did you expect?the hanging gardens of babylon?heards of wildebeest sweeping majestically across the plain?
  • Sounds like a good event in its first year.

Numbers may have been a bit low due to clashing with other races. I run with Eccleshill RR and we had a coach going to the Brid Half as we do every year, also saw plenty of West Yorkshire running club vests ( going past me image) whilst there.

• Appreciate your comments, GraemeK.  I am very familiar with what Bradford has to offer, and I honestly think that the second part of the route sold the city short.  Not many races take you through industrial units, side-, and back-streets, or have as many twists and turns.  I'm sure a straighter, more open route could have been found - although the wildebeest is a big ask!
  • GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭
    wildebeests? Did you ever go to cloud 9 or maestro's in the early 90s? Few hippos too,I rest my case.
  • Cheers Andy for the photo link - not up yet but will check later.
  • Just checked the link and photos not there yet, although it does say 'please check back on Tuesday 20th'
  • The myfrozenphoto site now says to check on "Friday 23".  Hmm... Have they dropped and broken the camera?
  • I am the guy with a flag on the photos, niceimage