Seaside 10K

Comments

• Nutty - I'm sure you won't get lapped. That's a good time and I've heard that this course is flat aswell.
  • Has anyone any advice on where to park? I collect my number on the day and have not raced this event before.

I am really looking foward to this. I ran 41:52 at Liverpool and I am looking to break 40 which has been a year long objective.

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    there is a car park across from the park and it costs £1 to park all day
  • My number arrived today, so all systems go!!

sounds like almost everyone is PB chasing.

You probably will be lapped nutty1976, I ran around an hour in 2007 and was a bit surprised when the leader came storming through when I still had half of the second lap to complete, lol!! Don't worry your b/f will not lap you 3 times, he might just catch you before you finish your 2nd lap, so only the once image

• Paul Williams 85 http://www.justgiving.com/paulsprestonrun/ wrote (see)
    I'd be up for that fellas if you want a 3rd?? I'm hoping to really push the last few K!!image
    Paul, not a problem mate if you fancy joining in, I'm number 27 and will be hanging around the bowling green doing my warm up, I've no idea what number Graham is.

Cheers Xan, i'm number 419 and i'll have a Bowel Cancer UK vest on.image

My 1st race and only my 3rd 10K run but i'm up for it!! Just dont want to panic and go off like a bullet and regret it later!! I have a Garmin to help me but it'd be great to run at least the first 2/3's in company!!

If I have a push left in the tank I wanna do my best and finish well over the last 3rd!!image

What plan do you have in mind Xan?? Oh and I hope you dont mind me tagging along too Kicked it??image

• No problem Paul! I'm no. 339

At least Xan will have some company when I slow up!

He managed to get me under 50 minutes at the Blackpool Hilton run, and that was 3 miles with a tailwind, followed by 3 miles into a head on gale force wind with 50 foot waves crashing onto us over the sea wall!

Alone I'd have all the excuses i need to call it quits and jog home in a slow time. It really does help to have a pacer.

My excuse this time is I've got a toenail just starting to go black after two, 10 mile plus runs this week! (which is a bit poor compared to running a Half Marathon on a twisted ankle eh xan?)

• Black toe nail !!     you wuss !!!!   image
  • imageCheers fellas!!

Just so you know Xan, i've been in training (for the Preston HM) for 3 weeks now after doing nowt for about 4-5 months and before that I just ran every now and then!!image

During this time i've done 10K twice (1st @ slow pace - 56:15, 2nd on Sunday @ semi-speed pace - 52 mins) i'm hoping to get under 50 mins too. I've never 'really' pushed myself TBH and it'd be good to have a go for once!! I dont wanna finish over 50mins and think, I could of pushed more!!image

• Paul, there is nothing worse than missing a PB by a few seconds and thinking 'maybe I could have pushed a little harder' as someone once said "To give anything less than your best is to sacrafice a gift"
  • Cheers Xan, I think you deffo know where i'm coming from!!image
  • Thanks for the advice on the parking. My number arrived in the post today despite me being advised to collect it on the day, so happy days!.

Good luck to everyone chasing their PB's, Lets hope the weather is in favour. A tail wind all the way round would be nice! image

• The forecast up to now is for cloud with 12mph winds.
  • Afternoon all.

Just got my number in the post today, so looking forward to the race. I'm not looking for anything special time wise but under the hour mark will suit me fine.
  • Im getting abit nervous now its getting close, everyone talking about pb of an hour and under. This is my first 10k and im worried im either not going finish or get a really bad time what doesnt help is ive picked up a cold so i haven't been training as hard as i should of been, i just hope its gone by Sunday!
  • Dont worry Kerry, if you've put the training in your sure to finish!!image

Its my 1st race too and as you say the butterflys are there already!! Wrap yourself up and get dosed up on Lemsip tabs or similar and you'll be fine, you should'nt be running before Sunday now anyway!!image

• Thanks for your reply, ive got my feet up as we speak but my cold seems to be getting worse, i really hope it doesnt stop me from running on Sunday coz even though im nervous n worried, im looking forward to it.
  • Dose yourself up with cold remedy.  I ran Ormskirk a couple of weeks ago with the remains of a cold and was ok.  When I get a cold, normally it goes straight to my chest and with me being asthmatic, i then get very very short of breath at my usual rate of exertion and then I know I've had it.  But you'll be fine, try and start not too close to the front then you won't get dishearted by the faster ones passing and just go out and enjoy and not worry about the time for your first one.  I got hooked since last year and have polished off 9 10ks this year already image

• Nutty - 9 10K's this year. Wow. This will be my third one this year. Way to go!!
  • Thank you for the message nutty, im feeling abit better today so hopefully my colds on its way out, my fingers are crossed! 9 10ks this year, where did u do all those?
  • Hi Everyone!  Does anyone know if there is on the day entry for this race?
  • Hi Podrunner - according to the runners world info, there is on the day entry.
  • Hey Kerry dont be put off by the PB under an hour talk.

I only did my first competitive 10k in June of this year and was very happy to finish in under an hour.

Another 4 or so 10k jaunts since then and I finally broke 50 minutes last attempt. The first 10k is hugely exctiting and will probably leave you with the same addiction as the rest of us to competing and chasing ever better times! Your first 10k also has the advantage of being guaranteed to end with a PB!

• LIke Kicked-It said don't be put off by the hour talk.  As you asked I've done so far this year Derby,Bolton,Great Manchester Run, Mersey Tunnel,Aldridge,Birchwood,Lichfield,Ormskirk, Berlin.  Got to go Southport and Ribble Valley.  It gets seriously addictive and I've gone down from 75mins last october now down to 64mins and i'm really pleased.  One thing though, do be careful with the cold.  I ran last year in a 2.5mile company run for charity at christmas.  I wasn't in a running club at the time but there was only 50 and I came a spectacular last.  This was because I had a cold and it got on my chest.  I ended up walking most of the way and I beat myself up about it because I knew on a normal day I'd have been ok.  So moral of the story is only run if you feel fit and able image
  • All i can do is try my best n i know aslong as it goes ok i will wana do another race to try n beat my time because im like that in training!
    I didnt realise there was so many 10k races, ive heard about the Manchester one but not all the others.
    Is this the last local 10k this year?or is there others, just incase my cold comes back with a vengance!
  • There are dozens Kerry, try going to events tab on here for a starter.

Click distance of 10k, and how far you want to travel i.e. 20- 30 miles, preferred surface and see what it comes back as. There is one in Accrington a week after southport for example.

• Kerry you are in for some fun!

The headline events like the Manchester 10k, Great North Run and London Marathon are the ones that everyone has heard of, but there will be a 10k race on somewhere within 50 miles of you just about every weekend.

Along with all the 10 milers, one off 7 and 8 milers and the Half Marathons, you will be spoiled for choice in the end.

The country is littered with running clubs, and all of them put on at least one race each per year with roughly 100 to 300 runners. Then you get the more popular club runs with up to 1000 runners.A lot of people find they enjoythe smaller club events more than the headline grabbing ones like the Manchester 10k

The northwest is particulalrly ricgh in club events

Enjoy Sunday and try not to be too nervous!

I guarantee you will be scouring this site for another event by Sunday night, and buzzing off the event all week!

• These seem to be the targets for RW ruuners - amend and add if you can

KickedIt - 48 mins

Eric2 - 52 mins

Clarkster - sub 40!!!

Xan (No 27) pacing at 49 mins

Nutty1976 - sub hour

Goldpig - sub hour

Paul Williams (No 419) - sub 50 mins

JPAtko - new pb - 48 mins??

lfc runner - sub 50 mins

Kerry Purvis - first 10K

NB Last year - 567 finishers with 477 sub hour and 48 sub-40 mins, median time: 50 min 50 secs 

• REALLY cant wait for Sunday, pinned my number on my vest earlier!! LOL Good luck everyone!! image

Think Xan said he'd be warming up near the bowling green, anyone fancy a RW meet up to say hello/ swap notes etc....??image

• These seem to be the targets for RW runners - amend and add if you can

KickedIt - 48 mins

Eric2 - 52 mins

Clarkster - sub 40!!!

Xan (No 27) pacing at 49 mins

Nutty1976 - sub hour

Goldpig - sub hour

Paul Williams (No 419) - sub 50 mins

JPAtko - new pb - 48 mins??   >>> sub 43 target

lfc runner - sub 50 mins

Kerry Purvis - first 10K

NB Last year - 567 finishers with 477 sub hour and 48 sub-40 mins, median time: 50 min 50 secs