Seaside 10K

Comments

• Bloody ell JPAtko!! All the best mate!!image
  • I'll be the lady with the short cropped red hair,black shorts with green adidas strip and wearing blue Astley and Tyldesley Road Runners club vest. No 99 and blokie is No 100
  • cheers Paul...

this was my first ever race 2 years ago, been getting steadily quicker since then (hopefully on sunday too)

good luck to you too, sounds like your training and speed are going well (faster improvement than me - took 12 months or more to go sub 50 - you are heading that way in a matter of weeks!!!!)

my  number is 551

• These seem to be the targets for RW runners - amend and add if you can

KickedIt - 48 mins

Eric2 - 52 mins

Clarkster - sub 40!!!

Xan (No 27) pacing at 49 mins

Nutty1976 Astley & Tyldesley (No 99)- sub hour

Blokie (No 100) - unknown target!!!

Goldpig - sub hour

Paul Williams (No 419) - sub 50 mins

JPAtko - new pb - sub 43 target

lfc runner - sub 50 mins

Kerry Purvis - first 10K

NB Last year - 567 finishers with 477 sub hour and 48 sub-40 mins, median time: 50 min 50 secs

• Cool mate i'll look out for you!!image

Cheers for the comments, really given me a lift!! As i've posted elsewhere on here i've been running VERY on and off since school (did quite well in school running wise) BUT never took anything too serious and never ran further than say 3-4 miles in 1 go before 2 weeks ago!! ALWAYS wanted to do the London Marathon though and always thought "one day!!", decided recently to make it a reality, found this site and really enjoying my re-discovery of running of late!!image

See you Sunday all!!image

• Thanks for all the info kickedit, i joined a local running club 2 weeks ago, just wish i would of done it sooner! Im sure if i ask they will have some info on any local races.

Im starting to really look forward to the race now, thanks everyone for the messages.

Im not too sure how to update the message but my number is 430.

See ya Sunday  image 

• Paul Williams 85 http://www.justgiving.com/paulsprestonrun/ wrote (see)

REALLY cant wait for Sunday, pinned my number on my vest earlier!! LOL Good luck everyone!! image

Think Xan said he'd be warming up near the bowling green, anyone fancy a RW meet up to say hello/ swap notes etc....??image

Hi Paul ( and everyone else)

The bowling green is near to the start (or it was last year) It's just behind were the toilets are, there is a pavilion and seats near the bowling green, it would be good to meet other RW'ers on Sunday, how about it????

• Hi, getting a bit nervous about sunday now, its our 3rd 10k so far but our 1st in Southport. Does anyone know if we get timing chips?! Where is the best place to park without the risk of getting a parking ticket?!
  • Claire...there is a large car park more or less at the side of the venue, well i hope there is cos i will be parking on there. Should be information in your pack.
    Good idea to meet up before the start, i will be all in black and number 557  

KickedIt - 48 mins

Eric2 - 52 mins

Clarkster - sub 40!!!

Goldpig - sub hour..(557)

lfc runner - sub 50 mins

Kerry Purvis - first 10K

NB Last year - 567 finishers with 477 sub hour and 48 sub-40 mins, median time: 50 min 50 secs

KickedIt - new PB sub 49:40 mins (Had to amend that!)

Eric2 - 52 mins

Clarkster - sub 40!!!

lfc runner - sub 50 mins

Kerry Purvis - first 10K

KickedIt - new PB sub 49:40 mins (Had to amend that!)

Eric2 - 52 mins

Clarkster - sub 40!!!

lfc runner - sub 50 mins

Kerry Purvis - first 10K

ClaireWilliams-target 57

• I'm game if people are meeting up. I will be in a red top with black shorts, number 225.image
  • I will be looking out and cheering everyone on. I will be the one with the bald head wearing a blue vest, black shorts, number 550.

Good luck everyone. image

• Just realized that this is an 11am start. Excellent! A lie in!

I think I messed up my taper...

Ran a 45 minute 10k on the treadmill lst night, (pity it doesnt count in the real world), which isnt exactly tapering do for the race....

Bit achy this morning so there's my excuses in already! 

• Graham,

45 Minute 10K on the treddie!!! I think we'll have to revise your time for sunday, sub 48 maybe ??

• 45 min 10k on the treadmill.... well done!

Do you find it easier running on the treadmill and faster, quite a lot say they do?

I struggle to match my outside times on treadmill. If I run 45 mins outside I will run quite a bit farther/faster than for the same "effort" on the treadmill image

• Where's everyone parking tomorrow ??
  • Yeah like late starts.  Was a 12 noon start in Berlin last week which was dead good, lazy get up, scoff for breakfast and then let it settle and run like 'ell for me dinner image
  • I'm hoping to park on the big car park more or less at the side of the venue.

Xan / Kicked it...Ive just entered Edinburgh mara and seen your names on the thread, will be good to put a name to a face.

• Nutty.  I was in berlin last month for the marathon, where abouts did you stay and did you enjoy?
  • 45mins!!!!!!!!!!! Nice one Kicked-it!!image

No excuses though as you have all day today to recover!! LOL

Looking forward to meeting a few people, putting some faces to names etc......image

Is it true you can get carried along during a race and generally run quicker than you normally do?? Hoping so!!image

• Paul - It is definitely true that you can get carried along during a race a lot more than in training, especially in the first mile where people tend to start off running much quicker than they should, if anything yur last mile should be your quickest, not your first, try and not get caught up the 'buzz' of the race and you will be fine.
  • Hi Goldpig - stayed in the Buelowstrasse near Tiergarten.  Dead good cause the U-Bahn was two foot away from the hotel.  Did the Asics Grand 10km which started from Schloss Charlottenburg, halfway was the Zoo which was dead good running past all the animals.  I've a German degree so I feel dead comfortable in Berlin anyway and its my favorite German city.  I was interested in doing the half marathon in March but after 4 days in Berlin and the amount of money I spent, I'll have to wait until next year.  Was funny though when I got my number cause you had to go to a dead posh Merc garage and I looked right out of place wearing my lichfield 10km finishing T-Shirt and my trackie bottoms lol.  All the German runners were dead posh.  Would definately consider running in Germany again image
  • Not a chance of me replicating those kind of times in the race.

I find it much much easier to run fast on the treadmill than in the real wold. My treadmill doesnt elevate much, so I even put a couple of Thompson local directories under the front end to elevate it and make it harder!

I thought everyone was the same but it seems not!

I'll be happy to get anywhere near my PB tomorrow.

If I ever manager a 45 minute 10k on the road I think it would be an all time PB for me!

• Interesting reading!!image

My idea was to do just sub 8m/m (say 7:40-7:55m/m) for the 1st 4mile, 7:30ish for mile 5 then push as hard as I can and basically sprint the last K!! Sound about right for a plan Xan??image

I'll go with whatever you have in mind though!!image

• Around 7:40 for the first 4 miles sounds good to me.

If we manage that then we are well on the way to a sub 50 minute run.....

• Paul./ Kicked it...say hello as you lap meimage....and get the ice creams in.

Nutty...Always a great set up from the germans and the U Bahn really easy even to a novice like me. I only ran the breakfast run which started outside the palace which i think was charlottenburg and finished in the Olympic Stadium, which was nice, about 3.5m overall.
    I was gonna say its a long way to travel for a 10k, but you ran further than meimage Did you say you are from Leigh, seem to remember the name from the manchester bupa 10k. 

• I'm from Leigh, are the other Leythers lurking on here !! lol
  • Just checked and did my last 4.25miles of my 10K last sunday in 35 mins, that was after the 1st 2 miles which were slow due to sticking to the schedule so i'm hoping with fresh legs its well possible to go sub 8-7:40!! After that its mind games to push on and get the time i'll be happy with!!image

By the sounds of it the PB's are on but saying that i'd be happy with 49.59, anything less will be a bonus!!image