Words of wisdom...

I've not been a runner for long. At a race last year, someone pulled up along side me and commented, with a wry smile, "some people run *with* their legs, but you run *on* your legs".

I mumbled a confused thankyou, but I've never understood what he meant? Was it a compliment, or was he taking the p1ss out of my running style? Words of wisdom, or pure hokum?

An explanation and/or similar experiences are welcome!

Comments

• I think HE was p1ssed mate! Either that or you have a running style much like Douglas Barder (spelling?)
  • He may have been commenting on your economic upper body motion or he was taking the p1ss.
  • I may have looked a bit like Douglas Bader at the end of the race, but this was in the first mile or so. I wonder if Douglas Bader and running style have ever featured in the same sentence before? Doubt it.
  • Outrageous !! Who did he think he was and what was he trying to achieve by making a comment like that to you during a race !
    Did you ask for his advice or did he just think he had the right to tell you ! The arrogant pratt !
  • Bobolink,

I totally agree with you. There is nothing worse than this sort of put down, casual remark for discouraging anyone from their chosen activity. If the criticism isn't constructive by way of an offer of advice or encouragement, there is just no point.

Neilruns,

The upside to this is that the saddo anorak doesn't have any friends and probably has a BO problem.

He was obviously 'balking tollocks'
  • I'm still holding out hope that it was a complement! I can hear it in my head now:

Steve Cram: "here comes Neilruns storming past Gabreselassie, look at the way he runs *on* his legs, what a great example that is to any youngster watching, fabulous technique, etc...."

Brendan: "...yes that's right Steve, too many people make the mistake of running *with* their legs, but running *on* them takes real talent, dedication...etc...

Hazel Irving: "...hmmm and sexy too..."
  • John Regis adds: 'yes, Brendan, it's a bad habit that many new runners make - they imagine they should be running with their legs. But Neilruns shows what a huge impact you can make if you really run on your legs...'
  • Hazel:".....hmmm....what a gait"

Steve: "Hazel, can you concentrate on the race please. Hazel?... sorry viewers, we seem to have lost Hazel for a moment."

• Steve: "Paula, nice to have you with us. What do you think of this outstanding performance?"
    Paula: "Well, Steve, I think he's ON something but definitely off his head! I just wish I had that sort of commitment."
    Steve: "yeh, Paula, you always were a bit slack in the preparation department!"

Scotty's right mate, the bloke was bang out of order.
  • The "on or with" thing seems to ring a bell. I can vaguely remember reading something somewhere (RW?) but I have no idea what the difference was or which was (supposed to be) better. Something to do with efficiency and economy of stride, maybe.

Sod him anyway. You were running, and it's none of his business how you choose to do it. If he's so pretentious that he has to use phrases that only he understands, then he's a pretty sad, selfish git anyway. What would be next? "Hmm, not quite at your lactic threshold yet, I see. Never mind, keep it up...."
  • Selfish prat or not, at least it inspired this thread which has had me laughing out loud.
    Actually, isn't it fascinating watching the different running styles in races? Sometimes the most awkward biomechanically inefficient looking people are the ones that come hammering past overtaking everybody at the end. So Neilruns, every cloud has a wicking dri-fit lining doesn't it?
  • Wonderful! I've had a good chortle too. Still don't know what the silly git was talking about, but who cares!

Next time, just smile and thank him for the compliment. If he tries to explain that it wasn't a compliment, run past him and throw two words back in your slipstream - Emil and Zatopek. Now, there was an unreproducible technique that got results.

Cheers, V-rap (whose running technique, much mocked in the school playground, was emulated to great effect by one Zola Budd several years later - and I'm not referring to the bare feet).
  • In that case V-Rap are you referring to tripping up all the serious competition???