HELP!

Comments

• D2D - the reason why no-one challenged PO's thread is that is was posted in Clubhouse - where pretty much anything goes. A bit like going down the pub with your running mates and not necessarily wanting to talk about running all evening. We all like talking bollocks sometimes!

I didn't say anything about Sass being right or wrong in the post she made - I merely pointed out that she would not post anything out of spite, she is not nasty or vindictive and I'm sure she posted with the best of intentions.

• The Divine Sossidge wrote (see)

D2D - the reason why no-one challenged PO's thread is that is was posted in Clubhouse - where pretty much anything goes. A bit like going down the pub with your running mates and not necessarily wanting to talk about running all evening. We all like talking bollocks sometimes!

Haven't seen the one in clubhouse but I'm pretty sure that D2D is talking about the one posted in General (you can always check yourself if you don't believe me someone posted in the thread earlier today)

• Beg pardon Gertie - I stand corrected image
  • *shrugs* I stand corrected. Odd photo angle. Doesn't mean I don't know anything about running shoes, just means I was mistaken. Damn me being drawn into another one of these threads, they always get my BP up....image
  • D2D - you forefoot land. you are using shoes that are specifically designed for heel striking. that is not to say that you should not be wearing them, just that they were not designed with forefoot landing in mind.

I run in Newtons, these are designed for forefoot landing. the sole of these shoes wears very heavily in the first 50ish miles. That is normal. It looks like someone has taken a bastard file to them. It also seems to be in more or less the same position as you show in your shoes.

I have a worn asics in the past. My first pair, were I was predominately heel striking show no wear whatsoever - apart from the mud stains you'd think the soles brand new and that's after 700+ miles. The second pair which I have worn since forefoot striking look like the soles have been through the grindstone. they have not travelled that far in their short life.

You say you do not land heavily - that is nonsense. The force exerted when you land is a mathematical equation relating your mass kg X (2xdistance to floor m ) X gravity (9.8m/s2) = Newtons force at impact.
    Therefore as a forefoot runner you will be landing more heavily than a heel striker as you should be lifting your feet higher, also if you are a fitter runner you will be lifting your feet higher as you maintain your pace over the duration of your run. the faster you run also has an impact on landing force.

Take your shoes back to the shop, or gamble and keep them and see if they rate of wear slows down. You will not get the same life out of a pair of shoes when forefoot striking as you would heel striking.

• Thanks DS and KK; ZZ, predictable!

I thought long and hard about posting what I did, but having tried in the past through a direct email to D2D, which was totally ignored, I was hoping to stop her damaging herself further.  The only response I've received was abuse on here and two direct emails (one from a stranger, presumably D2D's t'other half).  The one from the stranger was unpleasant, but only slightly impolite; the one from D2D had a title that made it obvious what the content would be, so I deleted it unread.

D2D: I can only repeat what I posted upthread - please get some help.

Sass xx     

• ClagClag ✭✭✭
    D2D - definitely take them back to the shop. I run in Nimbus and usually get 500 miles out of them but when I got my first pair of Nimbus 10s the black tread on the heel wore right down within about 80 miles or so. The shop returned them to Asics for testing and they concluded that it must have been a fault in the compound mix and replaced them with another pair. I've since clocked up a good 500 miles without any problems.
  • JWrunJWrun ✭✭✭

uh...faulty shoes?? Take them back, job done - love how this has turned into the usual D2D style of thread image

• D2D - I will, of course, continue to respond to whichever threads I choose.  However, I can give you one very sincere promise... I will never attempt to help you again unless you ask me to.  I hope, one day, you might.

Sincerely,

Sass xx

• XBXB ✭✭✭

Are you seriously contemplating buying shoes that you've never tried? Just because they're cheap. Do you not run two pairs at a time?

Run in what you've got knocking about, but run off-road to minimise impact. Or have a fortnight off.

• XBXB ✭✭✭

I can't believe your gait analysis didn't show up some major issues when you've got a wear problem like that.

Do the brakes work on your bike? Do you brake by dragging your foot on the tarmac?

• crikey - that's some very specific wear pattern.

I get wear to that extent on part of my shoes as well but because it's on the heel which of course is big and chunky - it doesn't bother me and i don;t usually notice it at all. After the chat on this thread i went and had a look and yip - mine are down to the foam too.

Most running shoes are designed to take the hit on the heel and not the outside edge which must be where you are landing. You are just going to have to experiment with manufacturers if this continues to happen.
  • Have you tried superfeet - i believe they do a moulded one so it's between a custom orthotic and an off the shelf one - they are sold in a lot of good running shops and you need help to find the right ones.
    They also sell off the shelf ones - again someone would need to help you pick the right one and it will be a lot better than buying a little orthotic of the type you mention above and crossing your fingers that they help.
  • Looking at that wear pattern, D2D, and particularly if it's only on one shoe and not the other - I'm amazed you haven't had an injury before now.

I've just had a look at my NBs which I bought in the early part of this year and used for marathon training/running - there is really minimal wear on the heels (I'm a heel striker) and even less on the medial forefoot. Nothing on the lateral forefoot, and I supinate a little. 

Although interestingly, having looked at my own wear pattern, it's interesting to note that there is more wear on the left heel than on the R. And the L is the leg I suffered ITBS in.

• John 'the penguin' Bingham recommended them in one of his books and i went on a hunt. I used them for a few years before getting into chi-running and haven't used them much since then. Still have them knocking about as they last forever - longer than the shoes do. I found them to be excellent and used the thinner, non-sport ones in my work shoes when my arches fell and i had a lot of foot pain.
  • I can thoroughly recommend Footwise (branches in Kensington and Guildford): custom-made orthotics at sensible prices, and good advice to go with it.

Sass xx

• Whoa D2D, it sounds like you haven't fully recovered from your stress fracture. If you are overcompensating by avoiding putting weight on that foot surely you will suffer other injuries.

Are both your shoes worn down the same way, or is it just the left or right?

Do you not think it would be good idea to have a couple of weeks off and then see how you feel? Maybe do some pilates to strengthen and help with your alignment.
  • DTD - I'm thinking it's more likely an indication that I naturally strike harder on my left, thus more stress going through my left knee/hip - hence why I developed L ITBS rather than R, or both.

I think they do say that forefoot strikers actually generate more force through the contact point than heel strikers (I couldn't point you in the direction of any specific evidence, but I seem to recall reading that somewhere). How long did it take for your other shoes to wear like that, and is the wear on both left and right?