Brass Monkey 2010

Comments

• No e-mails, your cheque going through confirms your entry, fingers crossed Gold Pig.
  • Only posted mine off monday afternoon, so as you say lets wait n see. Never known an event that fills up in 3 days.
  • Someone from our club took our forms over on Saturday afternoon.  She said the race directors already had two huge boxes full of entry forms and although it looked like we should be okay, they couldn't guarantee it even then! 

Really hope it is okay - loved this race this year.

• Anyone any idea of how soon the cheques will be cashed?

• I'm not very impressed with the above.  Either the race entries open on a particular day or they dont, it doesn't seem fair to find out some (lots by the sounds of it) people have got 'priority' entries.  I've done this twice in the past and that included driving to York to hand deliver when there was a postal strike, but how on earth do you get in now if it's full before it's even opened?

Posted mine Sunday but not holding out much hope now.

• Why is this event so popular ? image
  • H&T...Totally agree with what you say. If race entries only opened on sunday and you post it at the earliest, which will be mondays post, and even then you only have a very slim chance. So why open it to the public, why not make it just a race for the yorkshire running clubs as it appears to be.  
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭

It wasn't full before it opened.  If you remember it was full by the Tuesday last year as well.  It is simply down to demand, there are too many runners want to do it so some will inevitably end up disappointed.  Most of the forms arrived on Monday & Tuesday and that filled the 1800 places.  Yes a few forms go out early to local clubs but I guess it is their race and they make the decisions.

OT.. I think it is the 'lemming' effect.  Everyone wants to do it so everyone else wants to do it.  Plus half marathons seem to be very fashionable in recent years (you rarely seem to get this sort of demand for 10k races).  TBF it is fast & flat and very well organised, plus the marshalls are very friendly and encouraging.

Alowen.. cheques normally cashed within a few days, you will soon know.  Nothing cashed yet to my knowledge. 

• I,ve noticed Snake Lane 10 has filled up too in a record 21 days,  the future of running must be flat, the future is York !
  • The race actually benefits from turning so many people away - it's a decent but not ridiculous number of racers on the day which helps with atmosphere, pacing etc (unlike the larger, popular events such as GNR).

The flatness does help as well image

• Talking of flat Yorkshire runs, do we know what day the Dewsbury 10K is likely to be?
  • Well, my entry would have arrived Tuesday, which, short of another drive over, was the earliest I could get it there.  Let's hope it's enough! (but cheque not cashed yet...)

• PodroPodro ✭✭✭

I hand delivered my club's entries on Sunday on my way to Bridlington half. Bumped into a few others who were doing the same that morning. No cheques cashed yet though.

I missed out on Snake Lane yet again this year. Have to get more organised for this one as well. image

• How do I get my club on the priority entry list for next year please?

• Wardi wrote (see

Alowen.. cheques normally cashed within a few days, you will soon know.  Nothing cashed yet to my knowledge. 

Thanks for info. would be good if anyone could post on here once their cheque had been cashed.
  • No date for the Dewsbury 10k has been announced yet - it's usually early February
  • Dewsbury was Feb 1st this year. So 2010 race will probably be Jan 31st or Feb 7th.
  • PodroPodro ✭✭✭
    h&t - I thik they send them out to local clubs who have supported the race since it first started. You might be able to persuade them to send tehm to your club if you get in contact with their secretary.
  • Ah thanks Podro, our litte club has only been going for about 5 years, but a few of us have done it for the last few years.  I am the secretary of my club so will email and try and get on the list.
  • Our club has been going less than 5 years and we get the forms so it will be possible H&T.  Hope it is good news for you this year.
  • Thanks Dippycat, nothing debited yet though...
  • Our club forms were hand delivered last week, no chqs gone out yet
  • Posted mine Sunday afternoon but still no cheque cashed. Getting nervous! Will deliver by hand in 2011.
  • No sign of my cheque cashing yet...image
  • Nor mine!  I wonder what's going on ..... image
  • PodroPodro ✭✭✭
    They have loads to sort through. When I dropped off the club entries last year i met Malcolm and his wife and they showed me a big box of entries that they had not begun sorting through. With 1800+ entries it will take a lot of time to enter details, check payments and SAEs and then collect all the successful ones together and take them to the bank.
  • Thanks Podro, I'm just on tenterhooks as it seemed really quick last year and each day that goes by I'm convincing myself I'm not in!  Still, there seems to be hope as noone has come on to say there's has been cashed yet.
  • There's no excuse for all this paperwork in this day and age. It's a major hassle hunting for chequebook and stamps and then sitting round waiting to see if the cheque's been cashed.

Have online entry and simplify everyone's lives, not least of all the organisers. Who wants to start sifting through thousands of paper entries? They can still give their friends preference, but it will cut the admin by 90%, and at least people would know much more quickly if they are in or not..

I've tried and failed twice to get into this race. I live in the south but visit friends in Harrogate in January every year. I've thought it would be nice to do the race when I'm in N Yorks but I'm giving up trying. It seems to be restricted to locals from what I can see. I'm sure it's a good event but forgive me for thinking it may be a little overhyped? I guess the main problem is the lack of decent halfs in January.
  • RC - many local clubs have supported this race in some way and include it in their club championship.  The North Dorset Village Marathon initially restricted entry to people who qualified for the Dorset county championships, a couple of months before it became available to anyone else.

Having online entry would still favour people able to get in front of a computer at the time entries became `live'.  Many older runners may not like online entry and the organisers themselves may not like this system.  Why do they need to introduce it when the system they have works perfectly well from their point of view?

It's a shame that hunting for a chequebook and stamp is a `major hassle'.  Still cheaper than the online entry fee.

• BR - No problem. People can invite who they want to do their race, but I can't help feeling there must be a better method than people feeling they have to drive to York to deliver an entry. Perhaps they should invite the local clubs first and get them all signed up in the first month, then open it up if there are any entries left. Would surely be better for the locals too, rather than them feeling they have to hand-deliver entries to beat the outsiders.

The only cheques I can recall writing in the last 3 years are the two I've sent to try to enter this race. I just don't use them, and I very rarely send a letter that needs a stamp. All bills and correspondence are done online these days where at all possible. Maybe it's just me, but I'd be surprised if having thousands of envelopes to open and process would be considered the perfect system in this age. 

The sooner computers reach Yorkshire the better. image