Brass Monkey 2010

Comments

• RC, computers are here in Yorkshire - in some profusion actually image 

This is a very sensible post and I find myself nodding in agreement with you.  I suspect it won't be long before Knavesmire Harriers have to do something, but in all honesty it probably comes down to how much technology the folks who are dealing with this plethora of applications are willing to embrace.  My own club would struggle with on-line entries, I know. 

I hope that in future KH do something like has been suggested earlier, i.e. allocating X many entries per [local]  club and that should leave a lot more place available for others when the "official" entry opens.

BTW, for what it's worth I got my entry form into the post the day the form was received by local clubs - I think that will be two weeks ago tomorrow, the 13th or thereabouts.  The cheque still hasn't been cashed, so I think it's fair to say that the poor soul who's dealing with all these applications is deluged.  And he's a volunteer, remember ; -)

NE

• message from the York Flat Earth Road Runner's Societyimage

I had a chat with the organiser (Malcolm) and his wife before last year's race started .

He told me that the system works fine for him- the envelopes come in, they get stacked in order of receiving them and then he and his wife get round to opening them up in order and making sure the contents are correct - forms filled in, cheque, return envelopes with stamp etc, details logged of applicant. When they have got the requisite numbers then the unsuccessful ones can be informed.

The advantage is it is cheap to administer for the club, leaving aside all the time inputted by the organiser(s) and relatively fool proof.

Of course that is only a small part of the organiser's work - he did tell me that he had been up until the very small hours on the Sunday of the race filling all the goody bags

KH produce an outstandingly organised event with the present system - and the principle that "if it ain't broke don't fix it " surely applies???

• The filling in forms and writing cheques doesn't bother me in the slightest actually, in fact I quite like the checking everyday to see if the cheque has cashed (only for this race though, don't do that with any others!) and I've never entered a race online in my life, until the Abbey Dash this year.  The thing that bothered me was that it seemed to have been intimated that they'd received enough entries to fill the race prior to the entries officially opening.  If that wasn't the case then fine, I got mine in the post Sunday afternoon, couldn't do any better than that, and am hoping it's enough image
  • Actually, I lived in Yorkshire for 12 years and worked in IT, so the tongue was firmly in the cheek there.

• Torque Steer,

The one thing you forgot to mention about Malcolm,

He is one of the mainstays of Knavesmire Harriers who spends countless hours of his time dealing with the entries for Brass Monkey, you could'nt wish to meet a nicer man, i can tell you for nothing he will never go to online entries, never in a million years.

• Didn't the London Marathon switch to online entries a couple of years ago to a howl of protests from people who could not get online at the time the entries went live (mainly because they were running the thing!)  Also I don't think this site, ukresults or whichever site would be handling the entries would be able to cope with the deluge.

I wonder if they would be able to change the start area to begin on the road, because with 1800 runners, I fear a bottleneck and collisions on that first corner.  It would mean shutting the road for a bit before the race though, and maybe the police would not allow this.

• London marathon is a money making business for charity, Knavesmire Harriers and the Brass Monkey is'nt, they are a running club and all volunteeers.

I would guess that the financial stability of Knavesmire Harriers depends on a successful Brass Monkey to such an extent that their own members are,nt allowed to run in it, but are required to marshall etc.... to ensure that everyone keeps coming back for more, which we do. 

Their Club members run the course on saturday the day before, it must be terrible not being able to actually run in one of the most popular races ever. My club allows me to run in my club event as long as  i provide a marshall.

While many people will be disappointed at not getting a place, don't be too critical of Knavesmire they will never ever be able to satisfy the demand for places.

• Yes I was making the point that switching to online entries doesn't necessarily make things more efficient or fairer.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I can never understand the fuss over getting into one race when there are so many races of equal status all over the country.  Yes, KH put on a good race on a reasonable course, but surely if you don't get in, you don't get in!  Lots of other races to enter.  I've entered, but I won't be losing any sleep waiting for my cheque to cash or not and I certainly won't be checking my account to see if it has.  Anyone who doesn't get in from the Norh could always do the Northern XC which is the day before - now that's good old fashioned pure runningimage
  • Depends. If you fancy doing a half marathon in March/April, or in Sept/Oct, you do indeed have many to choose from. And 10Ks seem plentiful all year round. But if you fancy a half in December or January, you are lucky to get onto one. What irks me is people who grumble about not getting into a race when they've had weeks or months to apply. There are very few races that are genuinely hard to get into, and the BM half is one of those very few. If you live outside the area I'm not sure how you get a place.
  • nice to see Hilly and BR on a threadimage

RC
    what you do is find someone liviing close to the race organisers house and ask him kindly to pop in an entry for you when next year comes - make a note of my email addressimage

• Old Timer
    very good point - if it's what the organiser wants to do - and given the huge amount of time he has to devote to sorting the entire race out and not just the entries - then it is entirely his preference as to how he devotes both his time and the club's financial commitments in order to maximise a return to the club -good luck to them.

I have often thought that the start and tight turn is a bit of a lottery and that it encourages folk to take up positions a bit in advance of their abilities. Chip timing should have helped but positions are determined by gun time so there is still the same pressure. The road is closed for the very start but I suspect transferring the start to the road would mean an even longer period of road closure as the field assembled and walking them round from the racecourse road.would not work either.

In these days of 'ealth and safety and risk assessment studies we should be thankful that they can actually still mount a road race!!

• Just received my cheque back through the post with a letter saying I was unsuccessful. I posted my entry on Sunday. Now wishing I'd used the 'early entry' link but thought they might have binned early applicants who weren't linked to the club for which the early application was intended. Never mind, try again next year.
  • Torque Steer,

Its health and safety issues that are the main problem, north yorkshire police are not sympathetic to race organisers, i know that from my involvement  with the Snake Lane race, Knavesmire have had a huge task in the past 2 years persuading them to go along with the limit increases. 

• we have had the same problems at Selby striders, which is why our Half folded, and a smaller 10miler came back this year, unless its a big charity thing then NY police are not going to help,
  • Bad luck Alowen.  I posted mine Sunday as well, maybe I'll get home to the same thing.
  • ...............so maybe 2,000 letters landing on the desk of the N Yorks chief constable complaining about the reluctance of the force to participate and support  such socially inclusive community events ( notice the pc wording in that phrase!) would assist in a re think of their approach.image
  • Now Snake Lane is about the most amazing race package I've ever come across - £7 entry, flat accurate fast course, superbly organised, nice mug and Mars Bar, number exchange on the day and wonderfully deep prize list.  How do you manage that for £7?

Maybe NY police are too busy pretending they're on Heartbeat (or indeed Rosie - anyone remember that one set in Scarborough)?

• Barnsley Runner, i will pass on your comments to the Snake Lane Organisers of which i am part of, it is and will be very much appreciated.

However i have to say, the £7 will probably have to go up next year because of the health and safety demands from the  Police.

• Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    My cheque has not yet been returned so I’m keeping my fingers crossed that this is good news
  • Neither has mine that I know of (unless it's waiting at home), so fingers crossed.

Totally agree that Snake Lane is another great race, I actually have got into it next year.  I use my lovely mug from 2006 every day! 

• Old timer, I have to say it is one of my favourite races too, a bargain, really well organised, I also love the club pock runners, and the area, and the course, and I err kind of forgot to send my entry in so if you do know of any numbers available in later weeks please let me know!
  • Waytogoyet, check your messages.
  • LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    For info my Brass Monkey cheque has been cashed today - so I'm in image
  • Ang12Ang12 ✭✭✭
    Yay! Cheque cashed!
  • Me and Mrs Bobbles are in!  image