Brass Monkey 2010

Comments

• Happy New Year!

I managed a place in this race this year having missed out last year, I drove to Green Hammerton on the Sunday to guarantee my entry. To find out that running clubs were posting the entry form on their own websites must be of huge embarrassment to Knavesmire Harriers and this has totally messed up the entry for this year's race.

I know people that hand delivered their entries on the Monday who didn't get in compared to people that posted theirs on the Monday who did. It seems that this year must have been awful for Malcolm as he was really let down by other clubs not sticking to his request but it also shows the back scratching that goes on with clubs getting priority to the race - why should they? I think some of this mess was brought on by KH themselves. 

Club runners already get a few quid off races, I always assumed this was some sort of compensation for wearing one of those awful club vests though! There are plenty of good runners out there that don't want to join a club but want to test themselves in a race, why should they get the scraps in an open to all race? If there does have to be back scratching at least come clean about it because what's gone on here looks very dodgy.

• Club runners already get a few quid off races, I always assumed this was some sort of compensation for wearing one of those awful club vests though!

Club runners do not `get a few quid off' races.  They have already paid a £5 affiliation fee to England Athletics (or the ARC) to go towards the costs of public liability insurance race organisers are covered by.  The £2 unattached levy goes straight to the sport's governing body for this purpose also. 

There are plenty of good runners out there that don't want to join a club but want to test themselves in a race, why should they get the scraps in an open to all race?

Unless the forms were posted on a members only section on all the club websites they were freely available to all who took the trouble to get themselves organised to enter the race. 

If there does have to be back scratching at least come clean about it because what's gone on here looks very dodgy.

Why is it dodgy?  The organisers can decide how they want to allocate places and the methods they choose to use.  If you do not like the way Knavesmire Harriers operate it, you could always try organising your own smoothly run half marathon in the York area in January.  There must be the demand for places and you would have the glow of satisfaction of not doing any `back scratching' and avoiding accusations of being `dodgy'.

• And anyway, it's only right that club runners do get first pick for races.

1.  Most decent races are organised by running clubs whose members give up time to collect entries, do risk assessments, measure the course, act as timekeepers and marshals, get sponsorship etc.

2. Club runners have made a commitment to supporting the sport all year round, not just one off races.

3.  Inter-club competition helps keep the sport healthy in a way that a group of non-affiliated individuals would not.

4.  For those who do not have the time / lifestyle or desire to join a local club, there are many `virtual' clubs like RRC or Northern Vets people can join for a nominal fee.

• ......touched a nerve there!

All I'm saying is that if the allocation goes out to other clubs first then tell everyone - being sneaky looks bad and in this case caused a mess.

Sorry to see you took the bait about running vests - I was only having a little joke. I'll take your point 1 above as I've run races organised by run10k that have been shocking. As for your other points, I just laughed.

• No nerves touched; I was merely trying to respond to your post in a clear and logical way as you had raised some points I thought needed addressing.

I disregarded the comment about running vests in my reply and was responding to the point about the different costs of entering a race for affiliated and unaffiliated runners.

As for laughing at the other points; your perogative.  It doesn't really engage in the discussion you started though, does it?

• Beetroot - why d'you think it's an "embarrassment" to KH because local clubs put the forms on their websites? They send local clubs the forms early so their members (who put on lots of the races that KH members run in) can have a better chance of getting in - I'd imagine that posting the forms on the "members only" section is exactly what they had in mind.
  • The embarrassment would be that they got in a mess and the reason is because other running clubs disregarded instructions not to publish the entry form - or so I was told, maybe I'm wrong and this is normal and no-one has a red face. I just feel sorry for those that didn't get in who know they had an application in before some could have been received. If I hadn't got a place this year knowing that my application was in before accepted ones then I would be very tempted to run it without a number. I wouldn't use the drink stations obviously but would sneak a peak at the clock!

• I think most clubs put it on their websites in the "members only" section - certainly the two clubs I'm a member of did. I did hear that one club put the form on the public section but it was pretty quickly removed. I've not heard of anyone getting in when their form was received after someone who didn't get in, but that's probably because all my mates are members of clubs and got in.
  • It may all be  a bit academic if this weather continues!!
    Whilst York is low lying it often gets foggy, lingering frosts when the temperatures start to rise a bit as I have often found when driving to York station for an early morning trainimage

Personally, speaking as a non-club runner,  I don't see anything wrong in KH letting local clubs have priority - it is a nice way to say thanks to those clubs that have put on other events during the year and which KH have in turn supported - eg in  the Harrogate 10K  KH had 30+ runners last year giving a good boost ot the field numbers.

I hope no ones training is too disrupted by the weather - it's not long now!!!

• swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Looking at the forecast, Torque Steer, I'm inclined to agree with you.  The sun has much work to do to lift the ice and thaw the snow - and those roads on the BM course are decidedly 'quiet' and 'rural'.  It'd be a sizeable casualty.  Oh well, here's hping for 12 dec. C on race day image
  • North Yorks CC have been doing pretty well gritting back roads - we can live in hope...
  • I reckon the organisers will be beginning to feel uneasy about their event now, if the weather does'nt change this race will be off.
  • it's not just the roads (and I will see about some of the lesser ones now as I try and get some miles in !!) but car parking areas, access to the race course and buildings etc - a logistical nightmare when there could be more snow at any time.
    Fortunately on the higher ground here in Harrogate there has been little snow for a couple of days now but still pretty cold...........................

....................................real Brass Monkey weatherimage!!!!!

• Would be a real shame if the race is cancelled (although completely understandable in this Arctic blast).

Do you think KH would try and reschedule the race, given its popularity? Or would the logistics make it too much of a headache?

• The car park has been dicey in previous years when conditions have been fine.  I do remember a couple of minor slippery patches around 6m a few years ago, again when the weather was not particularly bad.
  • Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    Not looking good is it. Given how tough this is to get a place in I will be gutted if it is called off  image
  • It's still 2 weeks off though, isn't it?  Looks like we might get a thaw(ish) later this week - plenty of time yet.  It's actually above freezing here now, and we've just been out running on the back lanes which are pretty much free of snow and ice now (well done, North Yorks CC!)!
  • Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    Yes Andy I guess you are right - fingers crossed then!
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    ye, andy - glass half full's the way forward.  Tho' I'm on Merseyside, there's been slight signs of a thaw today.  agree with comment about icy car parks above in recent years.
  • Slight thaw in York today  !!
  • Slight thaw here in the Midlands too!!!    Just wish I'd been able to keep up my pre-Christmas training - whole thing's gone to pot over the last fortnight ... do you think this unplanned "taper" will be good for my PB challenge?

Having skimmed through some of the above posts, I'd just like to say that I entered via the post and got a place.   Seems to me like the system KH have in place is fair .... I've missed out in other years, but that's just the way it is in popular races.   Just hope I can do justice with the place I've got this yearimage.

• Loads more snow in West Yorkshire overnight...image
  • It's very sleety, james - and no snow in York.  Thaw by the end of this week - main problem's going to be water by the end of next week!
  • Stilldreaming - I think you were one of the lucky ones who got a place even though others went through the letterbox before yours could have done. That's not your problem but it does clarify that there has been an error somewhere this year. I appreciate it must be difficult to organise an event like this when there are so many applicants.

I'm pretty sure the event will go ahead, the big thaw has begun in York - it's awful today and there is slush everywhere
  • Very suprising...still snowing in West Yorkshire..im only a 45 min drive from York and its awful here. I think its the only place in England currently snowing..hmm...
  • Snowing in Chesterfield too! I`ve managed to get a place in the BM for the first time and I was wondering what the course is like - ? Not done a lot of miles recently so I`m not expecting a good time tbh but hope that I`m fit enough to enjoy it.
  • I've not run the race before but have run on the roads where it is. The route is pretty boring and very flat, perfect for PBs but not very exciting.

It's been raining in York all morning, I heard the further west you go the better it gets (if you like snow that is).
  • well it snowed in Harrogate until 1100 whilst simultaneously  thawing leaving a real mess though roads are clear if very wet. Still many inches of snow on fields and gardens and most footpaths

The next problem will be flooding - and some of the roads on the course have been known to have a lot of water on them as well as the main car park area on the grass near the start.

But plenty of time for things to change - in either direction!!

Beetroot
    I can do without "exciting" in a course -flat and fast will do for nowimage
    Don't forget there is that huge hill over the railway line to run image

• map of route from KH website

Numbers are due to be posted out this week