Brass Monkey 2010

Comments

• Torque - Aye, that 'hill' is a monster. Biggest around for miles.....

And the course isn't that boring. Pretty villages, some nice fields and woodland, the distant chimneys of Drax powerstation. Veritable feast for the eyes image

Glad to hear the thaw has set in in the Vale of York - fingers crossed!

• Although my training has gone a bit to pot, I've all my fingers crossed for this event to go ahead!  I'm in Wakefield and we haven't had any snow for a couple of days now, it's thawed quite a bit today so hoping that's all good news.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    I ran across most of the course yesterday.  Acaster Airfield (miles 4-7 approx) was under compacted snow but the rest of the course was mostly treated & clear.  May the thaw continue! 
  • If the forecasts are to be believed then from a lack of snow perspective we should be ok although it may be damp underfoot.

I live in West Yorkshire and haven't been able to run outside since pre Xmas so my training is a bit behind where I want to be but there's still 12 days to go

• What's the weather like in York now? It snowed again in Wakefield yesterday...
  • Ang12Ang12 ✭✭✭
    Got my number today!
  • ang12
    good news from you!!

Wardi
    dittoimage!!
    I guess it has been better than it could have been as there was no wind to cause drifting and increased snow depth on the exposed sections of the course

Even though there was another 1"+ of snow last night in Harrogate it does seem to be thawing slightly - plenty of time for more improvement he says hopefully even if that does not translate into running improvement on my part!

• LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    Don't worry all - we'll be slapping the sun screen and shades on next week image
  • I hope so! I have really put my all into training for this. I know it would benefit down the road regardless, but can't see when I could do another half due to my other race plans if this gets cancelled. Fingers crossed! (I also got my number today image)
  • Forecast is for 8 degrees over the weekend - don't think we'll have a problem with snow and ice - just possibly a tad damp...
  • 8 degrees? I'll be far too hot!

;)

• Got my number today  but cant go so I have a spare. Dont know about changing details. get in touch through  biggeo13@talktalk.net

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    If you read the supplied blurb George they simply do not allow number changes.  See inside of race info summary & back of number.
  • I suspect there will be a fair number of no shows on the day beacuse of training disruption and uncertainty about travelling.

Pity, given the popularity of the event and the number of people that have been unable to get in at first time of asking.

I had almost decided not to run as I just got back into runing in December after a near running ending injury but the last couple of weeks, despite the weather, have gone well so I will give it a go - it may not be fast and it certainly will not be pretty!!!

• How do they stop number changes Wardi? Not seen the blurb yet.
  • They stop it by not allowing it.  If you change a number with another runner without the organiser's permission there are 3 possible negative consequences:-

1.  You mess up the results and prizes if you run a time of 80 mins as a senior male whilst wearing a F55 clubmate's number.

2.  You collapse in the race and your mate's family gets a phone call telling them you're in York General (or whatever the local hospital is).

3.  You get reported to England Athletics and banned from future competitions (and reported to your club if you have one).

• If I run 80mins I will defo be in York General.
  • ..................................that's why you have to fill in the details on the back of the number bib so that the correct people are contacted

TET
    LOL - I will join you there under those circumstancesimage

Is it time for a race number list yet on teh off chance one remembers the numbers and then bumps into someone whose number they remember - numerical ascending order please!

1195 - Torque Steer

• There is a 4th potential longer term consequence, if  #2 happens a  lot, or is the cause of an "incident" , the issue of 'runners taking part under the wrong number' will make it onto the race risk assessment, and the only mitigation for the risk will be an identity check before the race. Don't be the person that causes this to happen, else you will be reponsible for all runners having  turn up at races an hour early and prove who they are!

• Wardi wrote (see)
    If you read the supplied blurb George they simply do not allow number changes.  See inside of race info summary & back of number.

They have done in recent years, wardi (and I'm not even sure I haven't heard of one this year) - but agree the info's pretty specific.

I get a bit irritated with this "I'll just run as my mate, can't do anyone any harm" line - even if you don't win a prize lots of clubs have leagues going on all year and people get points depending on where they come in specific races - so even if you're well down the field you can still mess it up for anyone behind you.

A local club to us were openly offering numbers to each other for a popular race and one of the people that ran "won" a veterans prize - til someone pointed out the person was clearly about 15 years too young - ban the buggers, I say.

Equally annoying was a race I did a year or two ago that had traditionally had quite a few entries on the day - it got full, so lots of people (thinking "I've travelled, I'm jolly well running!") ran the race numberless - several of them actually going into the finish funnel and messing up the results again.  

• Well the thaw's in full swing now - I actually felt a warm breeze yesterday when I was out, and it's lashed it down with wet, watery rain all night here - snow disappearing before your eyes...
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    image Good news, andy.  the 4 villages HM in Cheshire [tomorrow] was under similar threat to BM but the weather this a.m. is similar to yours but without any warmth in the breeze!  Still, the sner's gone image
  • Good change to the weather eh!? I have heard there could be more snow in the middle of next week though? Not sure how true/accurate that is...however with training being a bit poor lately this one will be a struggle now. General fitness wise I feel fine, just havent done enough long runs..nevermind, im sure it will still be a great event!
  • Just read the blurb that came with the number - no iPods. Sensible move - busy race, open roads. Wonder if they'll enforce it?
  • Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    Is the racecourse easy to find if I'm going to be walking from the station? It says its 1 mile away in the race info but google maps claims its double that. My train would get in an hour before the race starts - will this give me plenty of time to get there, get number etc?
  • The Ebor stand where the race is based is nearer 2m I'd say - you could jog down from the station, or it looks like there's a bus at 0853 - timetable here.

It's easy enough to find - you need to come in from Bishopsthorpe Rd (which is the east side).

• After my first proper run of the year, i think it`s fair to say that, whatever name, club or age category I`m under, I will not have any significant affect upon the results. I shall be jogging with the aim of finishing and, hopefully, enjoying the scenery. I shall also quite likely be concealing an i-pod upon my person so I hope there are no full body scanners in operation.
  • Mr Viper
    agree with Andy that it's closer to 2 miles - and you have to pick up your chip before the race starts. You should have your number already!!!!!!!!!
    where are you travellinbg from?

Local weather forecast says heavy snow on Thursday but they have been wrong several times over the last few weeks ...............................

• Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    Traveling from Newcastle - yes I have my number - meant to say collect my chip! Looks like I'll be jogging from the station to the start then......