Brass Monkey 2010

Comments

• Thanks Mr K.

Still no number but have been in touch with the RD so should hopefully be able to sort something out if it's still not here by the weekend.image

• Northern Exile
    it's the haircut that does itimage!!

Yorkshire Scamp
    I guess that is the good news about picking up your chip on the day of the race - at least they are not both together!!

Kaysdee
    I guess it's called tapering..............................
    .................................though in my case it is severe underpreparation before the bad weather came - I was back running quite well during it

• Andy, my marathon training starts on Monday so I suppose I have that to look forward to image. I remember training for Edinburgh last year and wanting to do really well at the Redcar half beforehand... it worked, I got 7 mins off my time, but blimey it was hard. I think that was sandwiched between two 20 miler LSR's.

Torque, I was lucky (or unlucky as I HATE them), that I have a treadmill at home so the bad weather didn't affect me too much. I was able to intersperse TM and road quite well. I think it's probably just the body questioning why the sudden lack of movement!

Final short session at race pace tomorrow and 2 days rest. Seems like 2 mins ago I was anxiously awaiting my cheque being cashed!

My club mate still hadn't received her number by last night either.

• Going to to a 3m warm up and 2m cooldown here to make it up to 18m hopefully.

• BR
    3 m warm up would tire me out - I will stick with my usual brisk walk to the start lineimage

Kaysdee
    Ditto on treddies - but I was able to run on all the snow affected days outside despite it being up to 30cm deep.

The forecast snow did not arrive today - in fact it is clear and sunny and no wind despite the forecast currently saying "dense cloud"
    Sunday's forecast is for similar "dense cloud" and a light northerly wind, 7mph. No rain - so it is looking quite good.................................................

• Mine was a case of bloody kids! image My eldest's school closed as they wouldn't authorise the transport in the snow (he's disabled so usually gets a door to door service), I tell you that was a LONG xmas break image. So I had to survive on fitting TM runs around naps/DVD's image, rather than using up too much babysitting bargaining. I'd say it was about 50/50 indoors/outdoors. January is probably the only month I use it!

Weather is sounding really good, fingers crossed.

I'm taking an additional rest day today as I'm really tired and feeling a bit sniffy, so that will be 3 whole rest days. That isn't like me at all!

• kaysdee www.justgiving.com/kelly-dodds wrote (see)

Am I the only person who always feels so underprepared/sluggish in the days leading up to a race,

I run sluggishly even if i'm fully prepared.  Its just my style of running. image
  • Kaysdee, I feel totally pooped at the moment, though my training log tells me I've got the miles in.  A combination of work, life and decorating the living room.

And as TS points out, my minimalist haircut does allow me protection from all those free radicals out there image  I'm easy prey to fatigue.

See ya Sunday!  Chip butties in the Marcia afterwards??

NE

• Someone mentioned no IPods but I didn`t see that mentioned in the race info that I received - ? Can anyone clarify?
  • Egyptian toe - On their website (Knavesmire Harriers) in the Brass Monkey section, there is a pdf with much more information than we got in the post.
  • Here it is.  3rd page.

"MP3’s & I-Pods etc

These are not allowed to be used during the event under any circumstances."

• Still not feeling it yet, I'm waiting for this fresh feeling in my legs to appear! Hopefully when I'm on the road tomorrow the "bring it on" feeling will kick in. I hope image. Nah, I'm sure it'll be fine. Been ages since I raced a half and they don't come much better than this one.

Egyptian toe, it definitely states in the bit I read that ipods aren't allowed. Actually the Brass Monkey last year was the first race I didn't use mine since I didn't want to get disqualified or anything. I know this argument rages on and on and in the few races I did (before this one saying they categorically weren't allowed), I did use my ipod. I was always one to say music "helped me", but actually, the whole experience was amazing. For me, everything just became sharper, I was more aware of my performance and pacing and I've never used one in racing since.

Chips? I'm just looking forward to the chocolate in the bag, image. I don't know how much this says about what I eat, but I even decided to give up chocs/sweets this week and have lost 2lb, the lowest I've weighed since....forever?! What do they say, 2 secs per lb per mile? image Of course I'll probably put it all back on with all the carbs tomorrow.

• Thanks for the IPod clarification all. F@#!?!? * image
  • egyptian toe - you'll just have to sing to yourself.image

• NE
    chip butties it is - and maybe some of the black stuffimage
    Pity you have got the miles in, unlike me  - you won't get a crick in your neck now looking back for the sprint finishimage

Good luck all - and I hope the sun shines a bit - wouldn't want it to get too hot!!

• Good luck  for tomorrow everybody. I will be at the back with my Warrington running vest on, say hello if you see me.
  • Weather update for tomorrow

Temperature +2C
    Cloudy, light rain possible
    Wind SSW, speed 7mph - so slight head wind in early part of race but no real problem

• Oh i am soooooooooooo exicted for tomoz, i am running three miles before hand and then the race then after the race making the distance up to a 20 miler. myself and my friend are doing it as a training run for the wye Valley ultra which both of us have never run longer the marathon distance.  We thought it would be a great idea to do a long training run this way

Good luck everyone  

• nerves starting to set in now...first half for me.  I'll be one of the ladies near the back wearing a West Hull Ladies vest.  Just going to enjoy the race and not put pressure on myself.  Whatever my time it will be a PB!!  I just want to get to the end and be happy with my achievement...good luck to everyone tomorrow.

• Hope you all had a good race - particularly the first timers like babyg.

Just wanted to say thanks to the organisers (if you read this). I had a bit of a pop about how the places were allocated this year earlier in the thread, but I just wanted to say how good the organisation of the race itself was - thanks again to all involved.

I had a good race apart from when some idiot cleared his nose out in front of me - I hate that!

• Awesome race as usual - fantastic organisation and the best marshalls anywhere (expect for the ones in Ilkley, of course).  Perfect conditions and a PB to boot.  Great day - thanks Knavesmire!!
  • just thought I'd add that the race clock was wrong and was started 23 seconds into the race, so the times shown in the results are (of course!) correct and you shouldn't go off the time you thought you were finishing in if you raced in against the clock!
  • Thanks to all the marshalls they were brilliant, super encouragement all along the route.

Well done to everyone especially the first timers.

my friend and I managed to run the distance we wanted really had a great day

• Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    Excellent event, great marshalls and a new PB!
  • John
    excellent results service as usual - many thanks

BR
    top 10 finish - excellent!!!

another superbly organised race from KH and excellent support from all the marshals on the course.
    Many thanks Knavesmire Harriers

• Excellent run, fantastic marshalls, got the time i wanted.

WELL DONE everyone

• Yes - echoing TS's comment - brilliant service, John - thanks!
  • Brilliant first half marathon for me...I came in just over 2hrs which for a half marathon newbie is fab!!  I've only ever run up to 9.5miles before so this challenged me for the last 4 miles but glad to say my body had a little left to make it to the end!!  Jelly babies did the trick. 

Great atmosphere and brilliant organisation from start to finish.  I will definitely be entering next year. 

I've got a 10 mile road race next week and then the same at the end of February.  All set for  the Edinburgh half in April now I know I can run the distance...

• Great marshalls and organisation from Knavesmire Harriers.It'll be full in 2 days next year !!!