Brass Monkey 2010

12345679»

Comments

• Just wanted to say a big Thank You to the organisors and marshalls - this was my first half marathon and i had a great day, hoping to get an entry next year!
  • Really great event, I love it. Fantastic marshalling and just a brilliant race.

I unfortunately succumbed to this cold I've had all week and my asthma was acting up from the off. Had to use my inhaler twice during the race and missed out my sub 1.40 target, but not too disappointed. Still got a 2 min pb and a 10 min course pb. image

Well done all.

• Great organisation and the marshalls where great and encouraging all the way around. Thank you to all involved.

PB aswell image

• Fantastic race, well organised, slick registration/chip collection, plenty of toilets and great marshalls from start to finish. Loved it! cant wait for next year....  ps got a pb as well - result!!

Thanks Knavesmire Harriers, another brilliant race.

• How come we can't review it on here?  I can't believe this wouldn't be one of RW's top 50 races.
  • Superb event.  Thanks Knavesmire Harriers.  Everyone of the marshalls and helpers had a smile on their face.  Will be back next year.  Alwyas helped by the fact that this is a great PB course. 
  • LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    I can only echo all the comments above - brilliant race. 10/10 to all involved. Organisation was exemplary, and everyone was so friendly and encouraging (from the people giving out the chips, the bag collection lady, marshalls, people in the cafe area etc.) - really enjoyed it because of them and as I say, a brilliant race! Like many others I got a PB too - a big one as well so delighted!
  • How come we can't review it on here?  I can't believe this wouldn't be one of RW's top 50 races.

Because it's not a money bags charidee or private rip-off Bupa `Great' event - just a fine example of what a committed running club can do with a lot of effort.

brilliant race. 10/10 to all involved.

Yes absolutely brilliant and to see volunteers still packing away the trestle tables they had used to give out the sweatshirts at 1.30 as I was leaving the presentation demonstrated the commitment.

There are two points though:-

1. The race clock (as already stated) was wrong at halfway and at the end.  I was running without a watch as I wanted a pure race.  It would have been nice to have crossed the line and not been telling everyone else I had run 22 secs faster than I actually had!  Why the discrepancy?  Was it the same race clock that was used on the lead car as the winner was trying to chase down the course record?

2.  This is the 7th time I've done this race and the 5-8m markers are still all over the show.  If someone from Knavesmire Harriers would like, I'll run the course with them and we can erect a stone tablet by the side of the road to mark the spotsimage

TS - thanks.  Not a great run but very good and well satisfied.

• swittleswittle ✭✭✭

Remarkable how the Harriers maintain such a consistently high standard of event year in, year out.  A stronger-than-expected showing helped to restore much of my will to race this year - in a self referencing way, of course.

Thank you sincerely to all the volunteers & organisers image

•  
    andy from embsay wrote (see)
    How come we can't review it on here?  I can't believe this wouldn't be one of RW's top 50 races.

Must be just an administrative glitch. The race is reviewed from 2003-09. http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/events/ratingsall.asp?sp=&v=2&ugn=176&en=48465

I'll have another go at getting in next year. I'll manage it some time I hope!

• LS21LS21 ✭✭✭

I think you can only review the race if the organisers have listed it on here in the 'Events' section. Seeing as it fills up so quickly they may have decided not to bother this year - it's just one extra job for them to do before the race, and it's not like they're desperate for any extra entries the RW site can bring them!

Shame in a way though, cos as you say, it would get a very very high score I'd have thought.

• If Carlsburg did road races they would probably be like the Brass Monkeyimage

BR
    I tend to agree with your comments about the mile markers mid race but it's a small quibble as it all comes right in distance terms!!

Even had a choice of sweat shirt colour!!!

Pleased so many folk made the effort to run the event after the troubled build up weather wise - there were 1550 finishers. Great turn out for a great event

• I have to agree with all what has been said, the support and effort from all involved in this race is brilliant. It was damp and cold out there especially if you were just standing about, but all the marshalls had words of encouragement for all the runners.

A big well done to Knavesmire harriers.

I clocked 13.12miles on my garmin, cant say fairer than that.

• This was my First Half, and loved it.  It was well organised and the support was very good.

Would I do it again? YES as long as I get a place as it sells out fast.

Big Thanks to everyone involved in sorting it. WELL DONE.image

• I really enjoyed this race, afterwards of course, but think the marshalling was fantastic and the organisation spot on!! PB by 9 minutes too so well chuffed, now if they could only put that flyover uphill at the beginning I would be ecstatic!!
  • To answer Barnsley Runner the clock at the finish line was there all the time. I can't say that I saw a clock on top of the lead car as it came into the finish.

I only realised that the clock was showing the wrong time AFTER the announcer had stated the winner's time and pointed this out (I had a stopwatch running from being on the start line). It wasn't my place to interfere with the race clock.

I have double checked the timing logs in the reader we used both at the start and finish lines and can confirm that the winner's time is exactly as I clocked it on the stopwatch.

• I'm glad to hear this .... however I would be interested to hear if anyone else experienced any fluctuations between their "official" timings and own stopwatch.  I started mine as I crossed the mat at the start and stopped it as I crossed it as the finish and for the first time (and I have done any number of chipped races) I have a couple of seconds disparity, my time is two seconds faster.  Not earth-shattering I know, but might be important to some people.  Am I the only one?  If so, it was my problem.

NE

• NorthernExile wrote (see)

I'm glad to hear this .... however I would be interested to hear if anyone else experienced any fluctuations between their "official" timings and own stopwatch.  I started mine as I crossed the mat at the start and stopped it as I crossed it as the finish and for the first time (and I have done any number of chipped races) I have a couple of seconds disparity, my time is two seconds faster.  Not earth-shattering I know, but might be important to some people.  Am I the only one?  If so, it was my problem.

NE

My chip time was two seconds quicker than my watch time as well.

• NE, I was a second out (have always been spot on so far) and know a few others who were 1-2 off.

BR, I usually just go off my Garmin for pacing, but for the first time was using a pace band as was hoping to break 1.40, so was referring to that as I crossed the mile markers which I did find slightly out later on. In the end my asthma ruled me out of achieving that by a small margin, but even if I was well, it probably would have been really close, so would have been disappointed to have had to make up "extra" distance at the end. I know someone who did it in 1.40.05... I'd be cursing those 5 seconds image.

As Torque said though, it did come out perfectly by the end.

I only hope to be lucky enough to come back a third time, such a fantastic event.

Edited to add - where there was a time discrepancy, the watch time was slower than the chip time.

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Great event ... well done to the organisers and thankyou to all the enthusiastic marshalls!image

• NE - depends where you were in relation to the mat when you started your watch! If you started in when you were in the middle of the mat then the clock was already running as the mat would have detected you before that point!
  • ooh a love in?

Yes a fantastic race I loved it

(don't love it so much today though) 

Marshalls all very happy and encouraging, going up the flyover

'well done lads keep pushing half a mile to go'

drop down the slope run further down the road for a minute or so

'well done lads, half a mile to go!' 

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭

Excellent course and organisation.  Was a bit disappointed though to go though half way in well under pb pace (or so I thought as I wasn't wearing a watch and was going by feel and what it said on the half way clock) to finish in what I thought was a pb, only to find I was 3 secs out when it turned out the clock was out.  Not sure I could've done any more though as gave it everything in the final mile and thought I was well inside - still really enjoyed the race and hope to do it again.

• swittleswittle ✭✭✭

Watch time = chip time for me - to the second image

Shed loads of photos of yesterday's race - links @ Mr ukresults man's excellent site   -   www.ukresults.net 

• Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

This race is now listed on the `Events` so you can now leave feedback if you want.

link thing

• Is this the most photographed race in historyimage??
    Don't think I will ever have the time to look through all those

Mr K
    thanks for link

• In addition to the Youtube `clip' taken around 8 miles.