Great North Run 2010

Hello Campers!

I know this is a little quick off the mark since I only finished GNR 09 around 2 hours ago, but as some of you know - I like to do things well in advance.  

And what better way to get the ball rolling than to give a massive 363 days notice !

Get your details registered here for the GNR 2010

I look forward to another year of cracking banter, hints, tips and training techniques from the fine forumites of RW

Vicki image

Comments

• Vicki - I thought about starting this whilst you were all running GNRimageimage but I thought that would be a bit sneaky and you would all start your own anyway in protest and all boycott mine and I didn't want the ignominy of that...image

Well done on your run.

I am determined to do 2010. Won't be on here as much as I used to be - have managed to get out of habit (as well as out of running habit) over last 6 months which is presumably one of the reasons the thread has less posts than last year image but I'll pop on from time to time to say hello and see how you're getting on.

• Cheers Vicki have registered, about time i went north of the Watford gap for a run.
  • cheers vicki i have just registered and hopefully will get in!
  • I've just pre-registered.

Vicki,is the course as crowded as it looks?

Want to do it for the atmosphere etc but on TV looks like like maximum capacity!

I entered the ballot last year, do they take that into account or is it entirely random?

well done on your run!
  • It is crowded at the start, and there's a couple of narrower points on the course (as you go around roundabouts, water stations etc), but the crowd should be travelling at approx the same pace as you.  There always seems to be passing points, and the support on the way round is fantastic image

The ballot is random, but there are a few ways to try and get a place:

• The telegraph ballot is open a week before the main ballot (I think there are around 3000 places)
    • The main ballot
    • Various promotions later on like the Journal which had 100 places 
    • Charity route

The various charities all seem to ask for differing amounts from some which ask for whatever you can raise (i,e. just the entry fee + no minimum), up to around £300

Will keep you folks informed of dates for the Telegraph ballot entries image

The atmosphere is fantastic, it is mad running down a motorway with 55000 other runners, the start is like a big party

• BBS - glad you didn't, but would have been happy for you to kick start 2010 if it was gonna bring back your mojo! image
  • Vicki: Graceless Whippet wrote (see)
    BBS - glad you didn't, but would have been happy for you to kick start 2010 if it was gonna bring back your mojo! image
    I know I am starting to panic I have lost it forever - let's hope not - I am in vicious circle of feet problems, out of habit, overweight, working too hard  blah...blah...blah...
  • Vicki

Many thanks,that really helpful as I didn't know about the Telegraph ballot.

I'll keep an eye here for any news.

• BBS

had you started the thread, it would have brought back your mojo

until Vicki got hold of you  image

• Hopefully I'll make this one!

Was stood at the bridge at the top of the Central Motorway for the start, was amazing to see everyone just edge forward. I hung around until the Red Arrows flew by (that's when I got a bit upset at having to defer), but the cleanup crew were already well on their way by then. Well oiled machine.

Nice to meet some of you, hope everyone really enjoyed it. Cycled home and managed not to kill myself - OH just put SPD pedals on my bike this week. Initially very scary, but becoming quite instinctive.

• nice to see you this morning kelly and see you next year
  • I'm back in for 2010, gave it a miss this year due to other commitments and stuff, ran in 2007 and 2008 but got injuries in both so have never really ran my best, hopefully I'm gonna stay injury free for next year.

Watched it on TV this morning with envious eyes, well done to everyone who finished, it looked very warm and you all deserve your medals.  image

• I'm gonna be doing it next year.  It was my first half marathon back in 2006 and watching the coverage on telly brought back loads of good memories.

Congratulations to everyone that completed it this year and achieved the times that they set out to do!!

I was very impressed with James Cracknell's time of 1hr 19mins and it has made me really determined to get near that time myself although it will be quite a struggle as my best time so far is 1hr 39 mins and i'm currently 21 pounds heavier than when I achieved that!

• I'm determined to run this next year, the atmosphere looks incredible!

Unless I do one before then it will be my first half too.

• Last ran the GNR way back in the 80's. Watched todays event while working with one of my little patients. I work for B*PA, so may get a guarenteed entry. Will make a good springboard for the planned Venice Marathon next year.
  • Hi kaysdee I think i saw you talking to some of the group this morning sorry I didnt speak.I got some spd pedals at the start of the summer and am really happy with them now.only had one accident when i forgot to get feet out to stop and grabbed a barbed wire fence to stop myself falling,result was a nice cut on my hand.

• Another here who had to defer due to injury image. Been OK today until I went to a motorway service station and saw lots of peeps in their tees and medals that really p*ssed me off. Well done to those who ran. Am sorted out now and building up my miles - can do a whole 5 now plus am learning pose soon so fingers crossed image

D

• Blimey Vicki, you are organised lol!

Have pre registered for next years event, so fingers crossed I will be doing it all over again in 363 (I think lol!) days time.

• XL's 4 run plan

By request - sorry, Mandie - just missed the front page this year

Run 1 - 5 miles. (DON'T think about anything further) Huge crowds, great atmosphere, bands. Take it steady, not too fast, you've run five miles or further loads of times. Enjoy the spectacle, and remember you are part of it. Those inspirational pictures of thousands running across the Tyne Bridge? Red arrows trailing the red, white and blue vapours. You're in them this year. Yes, you're in the Great North Run, the world's biggest half marathon. Enjoy!

Run 2 - 3 miles. Forget the 5 behind you, they're done. Think only of the next three. Three miles? Piece of cake, you've done 9, 10, 11 .. much more in training. These three are all downhill, wheeeeeee !! Great news for those of you after PBs for the event, or even if it's your first time and you have a target. Go for it here, within reason. Unfortnately, the road narrows, so you may notice it feeling a little more congested. Be careful.

Run 3 - 3 miles. SLOW DOWN. This is where you need your mental toughness and/or your MP3 player. It's a bit of a slog up the John Reid Road etc and there's not much to enjoy, but hey, if it was easy, the medal wouldn't be as important to you would it? If you're a run/walk person this is where you may want to be taking extra walks, and psych yourself up, but don't start thinking about the finish yet. Just get to 11 miles

Run4 - 2.1 miles That's nowt! Of course you're tired but you're nearly there. Now, start to tell yourself that you've done it (almost) the goody bag is waiting for you, go and get it. The last mile and a bit up the sea front is fantastic. Huge crowds yelling at you, the end is nigh. Let your spirits fly, even if you're knackered. You can stop soon. If you're after a time, push, you know you are fit, you have prepared well, and as knackered as you will feel when you cross the line, the elation will speed your recovery. Well done, you've finished the GREAT NORTH RUN 2010

• Evening everyone

A bit knackered - due to running 13.1 miles, cycling at least 7 miles straight afterwards (just to get home, I'm not even training for a tri!) and some serious partying with some old and new friends on Newcastle's Quayside tonight.

Will see you all next year!
  • Good morning image

Massive well done Shielsy!!!!  Great PB image

Congratulations to everyone else with PB's in the heat people were collapsing all over the place along the last mile and the finish was like a war zone!! I saw 2 guys being given IV fluids image  hope they are ok now.

I should say now that i was advised not to run yesterday but seeing as it's the highlight of my year and i'm stubborn i ran anyway. My knee hurt from the start and every slight incline was agony but i knew if i stopped i probably wouldn't finish!! My pace really suffered the last 2 miles and then the PB was gone but still got a course PB by 7m27s (clutching at straws here) 1h50m53s second best time for a half.

Looks like no running at all for 2 weeks at least image on the plus side physio today at 12 image 

Mrsj great run from you and how did you sneak past me?? We must have run ver near each other all the way.

What did others peoples garmins end up with for distance??   didn't weave and took the shortest route i could but measured 13.25m!!

• Count me in too - final year of my gold membership
  • I'll hopefully be there next year too. Would like to think I could get round in 2:15 next year if I do it. 

• slow'n'steady - i saw you around the 4 mile mark and then you vanished and then spotted you again around 9 miles and you were on teh other side of the road from me and then didnt see you again, we must have finished really close together at the end !! see you again next year image
  • Morning everybody image

Soooo glad I booked the day off work today.

A friend of mine has recommended a physio so I've left her a message and fingers crossed I will have an appointment sooner rather than later and finally get my niggle sorted once and for all.

Hope all those out last night had a good un 

• How can i miss this next year?..

I'd kill to do it again and again and again.
    Highlight of my year, maybe go as far as saying life (i am only 17.)

Well done everybody.
    I itching to get training for next year, but its a matter of when i can walk again!
    People who live in Newcastle and South shields, what a beautiful place you live in, i'm now dreaming of one day living in south shields.

I'll never forget yesterday, for the rest of my life. It couldn't have been more perfect.

• I want to do it again next year. Such a great atmosphere.image