Great North Run 2010

Comments

• Great effort, Dave - well done on being the first to post.

Bet I can guess which your 10 minute miles were. You'll be back - I'm sure that 1:45 will happen for you sooner rather than later.

• cheers XL-man, actually 11 & 12 but 9 & 10 werent great either. Bit too quick at the start and cramps did for me. I'll know for next year!

Dave
  • I did something similar in '06 - flying through 8, then 9 and 11 did for me.

Still haven't done a half since (injury and other reasons) but one day. 1:45 has to be beaten, even if it's just once.

• hi folks!!

just posted on the 2011 thread, not at all unhappy with mr SJ - he deserves a bit of luck, hopefully with starting the thread he'll be back on the roads in no time image

I got round in 1:59:28

Stopped a couple of times to see folks I know, chatted to people en route, saw the fetchies, plenty of running folks I know, and the support from the kids was amazing - I think every little girl got a smile!

so, 13.1 miles, 3 bottles of water, 1 bottle of powerade, SiS gel, icepops, oranges, jelly babies, a pair of wings, and a big pink ballgown, and thousands of smiling supporters

super stuff

• Have a great holiday Vicki!

Glad you enjoyed your race, and what better way to end it by jetting off to sunnier climes!

Will post my race report shortly ... just busy answering some texts.

• well done to everyone for today.  Got totally soaked on the walk back to the metro, but hey ho.

See you all on the other thread

• So, this was the wettest GNR I've ever done, though the rain largely eased off for the race itself..

Met up with Shrek, Spongecake, Vicki (who you couldn't miss, really) Mr K, Raring to Go and Mick at the start.  At about 9.30am me and my bucket went off to find a nice secluded spot in the bushes image, and as I sat there, a cute little robin went bobbing past me, so I truly was 'at one' with nature.

Joined the pens just in time for Abide With Me, so I had a good cry whilst receiving concerned looks from those around me.  Then slapped myself across the face to join in with the warm-up.  Really enjoyed the Lady Gaga songs whilst waiting to start the race - fabulous!

Then was chuffed to see Ant n Dec high-fiving everyone - I didn't try though, as I'm really short and couldn't reach them image

Didn't really have a race plan, as my lack of any speed training thanks to injuries, made me just want to get round in one piece. Just enjoyed being out there with everyone.

Was doing really well, pace-wise, but I was desperate for the toilet from the off, so had to pay a visit to one of the portaloos at Gateshead Stadium (just as Mick the Mackem was passing, shouting 'Howay Shielsy!')

Rejoined the runners and then had a nightmare - the zip on my bumbag had worked loose, so I lost my annual travel pass, my gel, and the key to my bike lock.  I knew it had happened, but I was in the middle of the road, and didn't fancy forcing 25000 other runners behind me into a game of leapfrog.

Was doing ok until the John Reid Road (no surprise) and found it quite tough going from then on.  Just gritted my teeth and got on with it.  As usual the crowds were fantastic, and as usual I was given an icepop at mile 11 which was just the best thing ever right at that moment.

to be continued ...

• The final mile was as ever, about twice as long as every other mile, but the cheers were just amazing - it's like you run down that bank by the grotto and are just hit by this wall of sound.

Finished in 1:56:43, which is just over a minute slower than my pb from last year, so bearing in mind my forced toilet stop, and lack of speed training, I'm really chuffed with that (and a bit gutted that I needed the toilet!)  It means I can stop saying last year's time was a total fluke I guess.

Crossed the line and burst into tears.  Met up with Wee Col and his entourage, Mandie and Steve, WTS, Mr K, Dasher Dart, Mick the Mackem and Boldon Collier and his wife in the Sanddancer at the end, which was brill.

Found the last couple of miles really tough going, and can remember thinking at the time, 'Right, as soon as my bond runs out, I'm calling it a day, no more GNRS', but now that I've finished, I've changed my mind  image.

Saw loads of banners for Joe McElderry along the way.  I've heard that he did it in 1:39 - flipping heck!  Fair play to him etc, but I thought even I might've been in with a chance of beating him.  Not only is he a canny singer, but now this.  Boldon Collier and myself were saying in the pub how gutted we both were that he can apparently run a bit, lol image

• Well done Vicki and Shieldy - great stuff!!
    Love reading the reports!
  • ooh that hurt , On tuesday i was going to spectate and on wednesday i had my entry to the 2010 Great north run !

Felt ok'ish till 11 mile then the last 2 really hurt , this might have something to do with the fact that i ran nottingham half marathon last sunday !

still somehow mangaged my second best time (nottingham being number 1)
    1hr 35min

its not something i will probably try again !!

well done to all who completed regardless of what time you did , running 13.1 miles is NOT easy
  • Hi Folks

Welldone to everyone for day. It was my first GNR and first half marathon after only starting running last November.  I LOVED it!  Did 2 hours 5 and pleased with that.  Started well but got slowed down in crowds at about mile 6 but the time is better than I had anticipated , tho after first half thought might even get 2 hours but wasn't to be.  Atmosphere was awesome and I really enjoyed it.  Mile 11 was hard and I had little left to push at the last mile too - but ran non- stop and so proud of myself and proud to be from the north east!  Welldone and can't w8 to do it again!  Gona watch it on the telly now n try and spot myself or anyone I know.  Hope you all have a retsful evening - you deserve it!

• Mr KMr K ✭✭✭
    Cracking report Shielsy.

Great time Vicki - great outfit.

I had a blast today image
  • Hi All,

Good race today, Got round it in 1:44:45, Well done to other runners

Very dissapointed with start though, I was Orange Zone C but marshal guy would not let us in as was too full! Had to to try for D further back and evetually got in. After race got underway was shocked at how many Pink and White number runners that were in the Orange pens. How did this happen? Would explain why Orange Zone C was so full. Within the first mile some were walking!! Got to 2 mile and more were walking!

I know this is a great fundrasing event and is about passion and atmophere but the slower runners need to respect the distance and have consideration for faster paced runners. The pens are there for a reason. Anyone else experience this at the start?

Atmophere was great as usual, Plenty of fluid stops on the go and end was fairly well organised. Dont think I will do again for few year now though.

• Had a fantastic day .... First GNR and second half. Did a PB 2:18 starting ingreen H and finishing in some orange and White runners was a boost. Even more stoked as this was much hillier than flatter half previous.
    Crowd was fantastic ... You guys in NE should be proud. Thanks to all on this thread for advice ... Will be back next year. Well done for everyone who ran ... Such great feeling been part of the runners with so many people on sides supporting u.

How do you go about secured place in paying/ joining ?

• My first GNR and finished in a disappointing 2:03:02 due to a dodgy calf that I somehow managed to hurt yesterday doing nothing, it  kept spasming last night, this morning as soon as i got up and at various times before the race. Seemed to hold out until about 9.5 miles and then I hit trouble , ended up on the masseurs table for 5 mins in the BUPA zone and ended up walking/running the last 3 miles or so. I was on for about 1:47 just under my target of 1:50 until then.

Apart from that it was a great day, the support of fellow runners and the spectators was fantastic and I enjoyed the ice pop I got from a kid at around 11 milesimage

The down sides were the toilets and the as mentioned above difficulty getting into the Orange zone.

I said I was only going to do it once but having experienced it, I'm sure I'll be back next year.

• And yes no guessing which miles were the toughest but the sight of the sea was such a relief.
  • Well done to all. I think everyone struggles on that horrible climb!

Woody, in a couple of months you'll get an email from Great Run asking if you want to go for the membership which will guarantee you entry for 3 years. It's usually in December - just before xmas image

• Yes mark robinson i totally agree,

brilliant day for fundraising but slower runners need to get real and run within their capabilities, I got round in 1;29 but didnt cross the start line until 15 mins after the race began.

I was supposed to start much higher up the line but as it was too full too soon i couldnt!!

I reckon i ran 14 miles today with all the bobbing and weaving i did!

Really high praise to the locals though,

at about mile 9 there were a family passing out drinks and biscuits from their front garden obviously paid for out of their own pocket when they were blatantely not the richest people!!

It made me smile that they would do that for total strangers!    Im from manchester but now have a new found love for newcastle and surrounding areas!!!

• WeVWeV ✭✭✭
    Had a great race but my chip time does not match my watch time. It is out by almost a minute. Don't know how that can be. Has anyone ever heard of chip timing being inaccurate? If I go by my watch I got a small PB, but by my chip I am 23 seconds outside my PB. My average pace was 8 seconds per mile quicker than my previous best earlier this year.
  • Great reading everyones experienes especially Shielsy's triumph given the training interruption

I loved the first 8 mile and was actually passing people at will or so I felt totally soaked up the atmosphere of my 1st GNR and right on track for what I hoped would be in region of 2hrs 5mins only to have to pull up for help at 10 mile BUPA.

They made some running repairs bless 'em which to their credit got me to the end in 2hrs 17 but th eslight  ankle foot issue was me running with a twinged Tibia/Fibia lateral Tendon for last three weeks which is now torn.

Off to docs tomorrow for referal to physio I know I finished but can t help feeling dissapointed

• Was my first GNR. Was in last zone and did it in 2.17 so well chuffed. Really enjoyed day but like Mark have to agree that from the start there was too many people walking. Found it quite frustrating trying to get round people walking 3 abreast in middle of road. Know my time not fast but I trained really hard and ran it all. Also as someone mentioned the toilets- they were disgusting everyone who walked out was pulling a face because they had no flushes. Did great north 10k in Sunderland and their porta loos flushed and were much nicer. Did have many toilet trips before the race!Did have a BRILLIANT day though and will hopefully be there next year!!!!
  • Race number 31760

Unbiased event report:

I last ran in2007, this time i must say the spectator support was amasing. as i approached the underpass i could here the usual Oggie oggie chants, but when i arrived, to my surprise it was the spectators chanting not the runners, I immediately got goose bumps.

all the way rounf the course the shouts of support were fantastic, i can't ever remeber having crowds the whole way round, unbelievable.

the weather definately did not spoil things.

now the bad points, ....the organisers want shooting. there were far too many runners. I was running shoulder to shoulder most of the way! jumping through gaps, ducking and diving the entire route, I think that if they want 50,000+ runners they need both sides of the carriageway open for eunners. It was the most frustrating run I have ever done. But at the same time so rewarding.

the event was amasing. The biggest half marathon in the world odes not need to have the most runners, just the best amosphere, which it has.

Hope everyone made it round ok and had an amasing day.

Going to read back other peoples views now image

• First post, first half-marathon, first event. Decided to take up running a few months ago with the goal of doing the GNR in under 2 hours, however due to training complications over the summer I was just hoping to run the entire way! So was pleasantly surprised at my time of 2 hours and 9 minutes. However I can only echo what others are saying, my time probably would have been much better if I hadn't had to spend so much of it fighting to get in front of people who had massively under-estimated what running 13.1 miles actually entails. Being in the Green area it felt like I spent most of the race just struggling to get past walkers. People had started to walk and slow down hugely after just 4 miles. Next year I know to make sure I'm not just alot fitter but to turn up well early to avoid being at the back of my section.

Have to add though that yes the atmosphere was incredible and the support given by the spectators was great. Even on the way back home in the car a group of children had a huge home made banner out saying "Well Done!" for the traffic streaming away from the parking area.

• WeV wrote (see)
    Had a great race but my chip time does not match my watch time. It is out by almost a minute. Don't know how that can be. Has anyone ever heard of chip timing being inaccurate? If I go by my watch I got a small PB, but by my chip I am 23 seconds outside my PB. My average pace was 8 seconds per mile quicker than my previous best earlier this year.
    I also had a descrepency, My chip time is a miute slower than my watch time?
  • Just finished my first GNR in 2 Hour 13 mins.  Fab atmosphere and really enjoyable day.  Was a bit disappointed that I couldn't run at a good pace due to all the people that must lie about their estimated timings and be in zones that are beyond their capacity.   People were walking in the first mile before even getting to the Tyne Bridge and then chatting in pairs and groups without moving to the left.   I could have made less than 2 hours if I wasn't for all the weaving and waiting.

Might just have to go through the pain next year for a better time.  LOL

• WeVWeV ✭✭✭
    Got to say I was ever so slightly irritated by the slower people in front of me and those with the wrong coloured numbers on. Several of them had already stopped in the first mile or so...probably trying to go with the pace of the rest of the group. Silly sausages.

I enjoyed the race. I appreciated the support although nowhere near as good as London for that due to the course mostly being motorway and dual carriageway. The guy on the bus stop with the hose pipe will stick in my mind, as well as the isotonic beer (which I did not try). I was really pleased with how well I ran considering the crowds and the constant slowing up I had to do. Must apologise to anyone annoyed by my darting in and out trying to get round people. Not sorry to the two ladies who pushed in front of my at the start and were obviously intent on running hand in hand. Just thought that was a bit rude. Rush of emotion as I got to the brow of the hill and could see the sea. The last mile, although hard flew by and did not seem to take the 7 minutes or so my watch says.

Don't know if I will ever do this one again but I certainly wont forget it.
  • God thaqt was tough.

I didnt give it enough respect: its the Great North Fun Run isnt it? loads of folk in costumes, should be a nice trot out - maybe a pb....

I was going very well and on course for a pb until mile 10 when my legs suddenly got heavy. Getting up at 4am after 3 hours kip and driving 150 miles was maybe not good race prep! That last hill wiped me out and lost loads of time to finish in 2.03, and way way off my hoped for time.

Couldnt find my support crew after the race, and therefore bag, and therefore warm clothes for over half an hour and ended up with a bad dose of cramps and shakes as the cold set in!. Totally my fault.

First 2 miles were incredible. I was on the Tyne Bridge when the red arrows went over, and thats something I'll not forget in a hurry!

This is not really a race to run for a good race time, pb etc. Its too congested and too dodgy with part time runners, discarded water bottles etc. It is a big carnival event to be enjoyed as a spectacle in my opinion. The start was unbelieveable and I high fived Ant - cool eh?

• What a totally AMAZING first GNR i had there today image it seemed to take forever to make my way up to the start after a long walk from parking at south shields and the walk to the metro and the metro journey etc. I only actually got into the white area with 10 mins to spare and missed the warm up completely but it didn't seem to matter to me.

I managed to "high-five" dec at the start which totally made my day and set me up for the race,i also passed cheryl baker and jay aston from bucks fizz at around 5ish miles image.

My finishing time of 1 hour 58 wasn't particularly fast but considering im nursing an inguinal hernia and i got a little bit of cramp at about 10 miles along with a bit of a stich towards the end that i managed to run off.i'm really happy to have taken part in such a fantastic event,loved every moment of it and have just been watching the recording on my V box.

Took quite a while to get home to Manchester but we stopped off at a rather nice carvery place on the road heading out towards sunderland and took a different route towards Durham to try to avoid the huge queues back onto the A1.

The only things i didn't particularly like were the terrible toilets (i know portaloos are temporary and probably the best that can be offered for such huge crowds but those were really disgusting) and the torrential downpour that came down,really pleased i wasn't still running when that rain came image.

The only other little niggle has already been mentioned by others is people sending in incorrect estimated finishing times,i was in white zone and it didnt take me very long to start passing quite a lot of orange runners.

all in all a very special race that i will remember for a long long time !

cheers all.

• im just about to be on 5 live phone in in 30 seconds!