Great North Run 2010

Comments

• Well done everyone!!

Just had a quick skim, and spotted some great reports - Shielsy, bummer about your bumbag (no pun intended) and Martin Slater - cracking time!!

I was driving back from Hull to Brum yesterday morning, listening to the build-up on 5 Live, wishing I was there, but looking forward to next year. Great to have heard Vicki's little interview! image

Right, best go and find the new thread and start psyching myself up for being able to use that deferred place next year - just need to get in there quick with the hotels!

• Jennie- I'm not complaining about the loos along the route, but the ones at the start (and my OH tells me, at the finish). The one I used at the start was the most basic portaloo i've ever used - basically a plastic version of a hole in the ground.  And no loopaper (lucky I always carry my own at a race in case i'm ever unlucky enough to have to do a Paula).  And no hand washing facilities.

Kate- Garmins are always slightly out.  Mine usually reads 0.1 or 0.2km more on a 10k.  Plus on the GNR it gets "lost" in the underpasses and makes your presumed route up!

• 6th GNR and still a fantastic day, even though struggled badly and was slower than I had hoped. Agree with the gripes over the Powerade - what was that red stuff all about??!!! - and walkers in the early stages but am not sure how that will ever change. 

Absolutely fantastic support as usual from genuine people who are more than happy to give without receiving anything back, and who dont always appear to have much in the first place - great organisation and having done London for the first time this year they could learn so much from the GNR. 

A far more enjoyable and better organised event than London for me - I will be signing up for another 3 years asap  

• Hi Everyone,

Sounds like a great day apart from the powerade, I had to watch on the telly. 

Kelly - What a fantastic time ad a new PB image

• Yep the last lot of Powerade was the red stuff! I had to get 2 oranges from the little girl at about 11 miles who was holding out a tupperware (other plastic food containers are available) box, they tasted great and spurred me on to the finish!

We managed to get on a bus to the Ferry which we had to pay for (even though we had a rover ticket), 30 min queue for the ferry (when somebody collapsed in the ticket tent) and then taxi back to the PArk and ride to avoid the 30 min wait for the Metro. I can recommend that people stay nr North Shields and use public transport, once we got back to our car, we were through the Tyne Tunnel and heading south in 20 min after a quick stop at the Mc Donalds drive through at Silverlink.

Village Hotel and Leisure was clean (not cheap £150 last minute booking) and did a good Pasta buffet on Sat night and only 2 min for Northumberland Park Metro Park and Ride, and the reception staff were really helpfull with change for the Metro and were genuinly interested in who you were running for!

I agree with the comments about non-runners - walking in the middle, some were walking on the motorway down to the tyne bridge and then after half way, groups of people were walking 3-4 abreast on the right handside, making it difficult to get past, especially for the guys on the hand bikes.

• Hi just registered to say congratulations everyone and what an amazing day!!!

Always fancied doing the run once as I watch it every year.  Last time I ran was at school 23 years ago, started raining in march with an expected time of 2hrs 45 and finished in 2hrs 46 so very happy. 

The atmosphere was great and the runners thinned out by the time I plodded along so no real issues.  Burst into tears at the finish line with sheer joy! Will be signing up for next year - I have caught the bug!image

• Hi everyone. Hope you're all well today and not too achey. Feeling proud with yourselves image

I see you had your pee break Shielsy. You needed that when I saw you in the pens but you held it until Gatehead. That must've been painful.

Seen Kicked It during the last mile too. The name on the back of vest was a give away image

Thoroughly enjoyed yesterdays run - much better than 2009 for me despite the rain. Slightly slower time than I was aiming for but given the number of bodies on the course, I'm more than happy with my 2:03.  Of course sub-2 was the aim, which I'm certain I'll get in a less congested race in 2 weeks time.

• Hi HolyMoly - glad to hear you had a good day.

It's a shame we just met each other as we were about to cross the line and were off running.

Well done Geordie Lass.

• Had a great time at the GNR yesterday. Managed to complete it in 2hrs and 31 seconds, just missed the sub 2 hour mark but think that was due to dodging walkers, found miles 8-9 a bit congested.

Really want to do it again next year, how do you sign up for the guaranteed 3 year thingy? 

I feel a bit flat today thinking that I might not be able to get in again next year.

Congrats to everyone.

• Finally got through catching up.

Well done everyone and what a fantastic day.

I agree about the walkers. It annoyed me that I had been put back a pen this year even though I had quicker times, only to be passing walkers after less than a mile.

At least I got a course PB of 2.07.43, 11 minutes quicker.
  • Hi Everyone, It was my first GNR and I loved every moment! I ran the Robin Hood Nottingham Marathon the week before and was really looking forward to this half.  My time: 1:55:10 two minutes off my pb but hey what a fantastic day!

I was on the Tyne bridge when the red arrows flew over - a truely hair-raising feeling. The crowds were brilliant and supportive. I was probably in the correct zone (white E) for my finish time - I remember passing loads of people with orange numbers on who were walking - however this is always going to be the case in the large events - personally I'd rather start further back and pass people than be passed and left behind.

I've already registered my interest in next year but can someone tell me how you sign up for 3 years?

• oh yes and I totally agree about the powerade - I thought at the time it was lacking the punch from when I've tried it previously. Next year if its powerade, I'll be carrying my own lucozade/gaterade.
  • Yes, please can somebody tell me about the 3 year deal?

lfc runner- Did you do it in the home kit? I had my shirt under my charity vest because its climacool and I don't like running in a vest!

• Just  looking through the results.  It's amazing how many over 80s there are with fast times.  Its a shame Great Run cannot sort themsleves out and clean their database, looks like these are people with no date of birth that default to 1900 ie over 80.  Must really spoil it for the genuine over 80s

Also this year they haven't bothered to sanity check their entries, there are women called Gareth, Peter and Roger in the first few pages of their results.  Are they cutting corners these days I wonder?  Maybe they need to up the entry fee again to cover the extra costs.

• CBC - I had a liverpool FC sleeveless training top on. Chaffs a bit under the arms. You should get an email around December asking if you want to join the 3 year membership so just sit back and wait.

Trendyrunner - go to the GNR website
    http://www.greatrun.org/Events/Event.aspx?id=1&link=Coverflow

You can register your interest there.
  • Phew, just got back to the motherships in Northamptonshire after staying in Leeds last night.
    Congratulations Vicki and Sheilsy for your times, amazing given the circumstances. Martin; I can't even comprehend how fast you must have looked to get that time, incredible! Well done. Congrats to everyone else, too.

I finished in 1:54:27 which I'm delighted with as the target was to finish in under 2 hours and the most I'd run before was 11.7 miles in training, my first ever event too.

I had no problems getting in although did arrive at the start about 3 hours early! The DJ helped pass the time though, I thought he was great. I heard he does it every year?
    I was in green H and got chatting to 3 or 4 others around me. Warm up was good fun and I crossed the line at 24mins which I didn't think was too bad just as the red arrows flew over, timed perfectly for me!
    I had said to myself not to run too quickly to start with and so I found myself running at a gentle pace for the first mile enjoying the sights and sounds until I looked at my watch at the marker and saw it read 10mins, whoops!!! Obviously enjoying it too much!
    Managed to speed up, it's a cliche but the crowd really do help, they were unbelievable. The best part of the run by far was running through the estates. The best bit for me was seeing an elderly woman who had bought rolls and rolls of kitchen roll, tearing them off and handing them out.
    Music along the course was fantastic, the BUPA Boost Zone was also great.
    I didn't think the crowding was too bad, maybe I just got a bit lucky; yes at times I did have to slow my pace down, but as others have said, it's a mass participation event and it's meant to be crowded.
    Saw alot of walkers from mile 1! People misjudging their predicted run times but not alot the organisers can do about that, it made me feel good finishing amongst the whites and oranges anyway!

Must do it again next year, maybe in costume, and will hopefully have better access to internet to be able to meet up with some of you.

People of Newcastle, you are fantastic. image

• Boldon Colllier - I have also posted on 2011 thread. The Camping was really well organised. They even thought about giving us map to the Metro so we would not get lost. We found the hot water supply useful and the coffee making was excelent!

My wife said that she woke up at one point as there was some noise from one of the other tents. It sounded like someone might have been practising one of the recent RW articles on race prep......

Big apologies to any campers I woke when I got bad cramp in my calf (I did yell a bit) when I turned over in the night - for an hour or two I thought my GNR was over

The Lord Nelson even supplied Fullers London Pride so I carb loaded on that! The band were entertaining. We have a music festival a couple of fields away every August and the headlining Oasis tribute couldnt hold a light to these guys.

I would recommend it to anyone. If I get an entry next yearwe will come up on the Friday and try yo get the weekend.

We used the A19 to arrive and it was a superb idea. We got to the stadium hours earlier than we thought we would.
  • Got home at 1ish this afternoon - I decided to stay Sunday night & hoped to avois the traffic and it worked !!! Sailed home no problem.

Great race for me - the whole weekend is full of excitment. It was great to meet up with so many of you on Sat for a "coffee !!!" - after a long drive I was able to get into the whole mindset thing after that so huge thanks.

Nice to meet spongecake, mrk, vicki, stringy, & of course sheilsy & anybody else in the usual place - shame some other people had the same idea and pinched the shelter of the bridge when the deluge began ! I have a great photo & will post on the 2011 thread once my Daughter gets home (she can show me how to do it !)

Enjoyed running the first 5/6 miles with spongecake (sorry mate - I seem to have lost you ?) and found it fairly easy until mile 9ish - went in the bushes for a pee & just couldn't get back into it & had 2 walk stopps which hampered my time. 2hrs 25 for me - 3 mins slower than last year but very happy & proud to have taken part in this special event once again.

Best parts for me : meeting up with people, crowd support - in particular the kids givinh hi fives and shouting come on fred, the Bupa zone & the jellybabies, Make A Wish charity tent staff who were brilliant and of course the scenery of the North East

Worst parts for me : Rip off hotel prices at £220 for 2 nights in a travelodge !!, the weather but no one to balme for that, the 2 kids running through the field on the council estate (sorry little girl but I couldnt stop myself running into you - stupid place to be !!) and yes the walkers - I am not a very patient man so after the first few "excuse me's & coming through's" I gave up and just ran into them / made a bit of a game of it actually - Hmmmm.....

This was my second GNR and I have 2 years of my bond left so I will be back but next year NO FANCY DRESS as I forgot how hot my costume made me image

See you all on 2011 thread & well done everyone - you did it !!!!!  

• kaysdee

Thanks for the explanation on the chip time - that will explain it. I was indeed running on the left and did have autopause enabled. Slightly disappointed now!!!!!!

• Hi  Holy Moly

Nice to see you en route and apologies for the blank response - I was pretty well out of it by that point!

• Well done to everybody who completed the GNR yesterday.  Was the 1st time that either myself or my running partner had attempted any sort of race and its an experience that i doubt we will forget.

Both encoutered difficulties in the training and were unable to even run in the 3 months leading up to the event, I developed a Hernia and my running partner has 2 slipped Disc's. although it wasnt a fast time the fact that we got to the finish line more than makes up for it.

Both completed the course in a time of 2 hrs 39mins

people walking were a bit of a nightmare as you had to constantly swerve round them but i think that it help make the day.  yes there are some serious runners but at the end of the day in my eyes it was more about the amount of money that was raised for all those charities and if it meant people walked then fine.

again many thanks to the people of the North East for all there support and the little extras that they dished out along the route, without them this wouldnt be the best race in the world

• It seems everyone had a pretty good run yesterday, well done and pleased for all those pb's amongst you.

I did spot Shielsy from the Marsden pub, but you took the far side of the roundabout so was pointless shouting encouragement. Also had a little chat with Martin on the walk to the baggage buses, but to be fair I wasn't feeling too good so maybe wasn't making much sense.

Personally although I ran a decent time of 1:19:42 it could've been a lot better but I felt awful from 9 miles, stomach cramps which started to spread upwards making me a little scared to be honest. I was forced to slow down a bit and just managed to get inside 1:20.

• Mile Splits for anyone interested.

Split Summary
    ====
    1)  - 1m - 5:28(5:28/m) - 116cal
    2)  - 1m - 5:45(5:45/m) - 107cal
    3)  - 1m - 5:52(5:52/m) - 116cal
    4)  - 1m - 6:10(6:10/m) - 118cal
    5)  - 1m - 6:20(6:20/m) - 116cal
    6)  - 1m - 5:54(5:54/m) - 116cal
    7)  - 1m - 5:52(5:52/m) - 116cal
    8)  - 1m - 5:59(5:59/m) - 117cal
    9)  - 1m - 6:15(6:15/m) - 117cal
    10)  - 1m - 6:07(6:07/m) - 116cal
    11)  - 1m - 6:18(6:18/m) - 116cal
    12)  - 1m - 6:23(6:23/m) - 117cal
    13)  - 1m - 6:11(6:11/m) - 116cal
    14)  - 0.18m - 1:06(6:04/m) - 21cal

• Mr KMr K ✭✭✭
    I miss this thread image
  • Cracking effort as always, Andy - especially as you weren't feeling too clever.

Has anyone heard from Wee Col? A shame not to see him yesterday evening. You'll be at Blaydon in June I trust, Col

• 2:01:31 for me - no PB but a solid run.

My Garmin log : http://connect.garmin.com/activity/49716968

I dropped back from orange D to E to start with my running mate (my girlfriend's sister) and we seemed to spend all day dodging people.  That said, zig-zagging is inevitable with so many runners - I can't see how the organisers have a sensible way to check predicted times.

Great support - I got into high-fiving the kids.  The number of ambulances having to get through the runners was worrying, probably just as well it wasn't a sorching hot day.

We were about 100m short of the Tyne Bridge when the Red Arrows came over - goosebumps ahoy!

We stayed at a Travelodge and the breakfast looked very ropey, so we smuggled a microwave into our room and knocked up some porridge!  Just the job.

• Haven't been reading the whole thread but I ran a new PB of 1:23:25 yesterday, must have been the weather! Was just wondering how quick does your time have to be to get into zone A?
  • Some great reports from everyone. Hope no-one is suffering too much today. 

Shielsy - sounds like you had a good run yesterday, especially with you recent niggles. I assume that you can get a new travel pass ok?? I meant to try and come along to the bridge but the crowds moving towards the pens were huge and I was unsure if I would get up and back to my pen in time. Where did you go last night, just the local for a cheeky few beers for me.

Andy - those splits are almost identical to mine we probably crossed paths a couple of times during the race. I also think we were both a bit knackered at the end but well done on the sub 80 mins.

Micromagic - its normally sub 80 mins or if you a quick 10k time the will use that. I think I put down that I was aiming for sub 80 mins in this years race after previously frun 83 mins for the north run.

• Well this race continues to confound me....

GNR 2009: (1hr 29 mins 58secs) after 1 min erm.."pit stop"

and....

GNR 2010: 1 hr 29 mins 58secs....

No that wasn't a misprint.  Weird.  

I knew I wasn't destined to race this one as strong as last year, couple with rhintoplasty op 2 mionths ago then a chest infection a month ago left me sounding like a wheezing 20 a day smoker...so happy to get round in this  time..though wasn't expecting to hit the SAME time??image 

Roll on great south in 5 weeks....should be back up to 100%

But a great atmosphere as ever and wasn't Haile great!  Little man obviously had a special nite out in town before the race!!!  Well done to all of you...

Last time: WHOOP WHOOP!!

• My mate's PB prior to yesterday was 82 mins and he got a place in Pen A (I think it is the one called Fast club entrants) - he had a stripy number - he did 1:21 yesterday so he was really pleased. He was aiming for sub 80 at GNR and was on for 78 mns but damaged his toe at about 10KM and slowed a bit.