Great North Run 2010

Comments

• no problem Kicked It. I think I was on a mission in the last mile anyway to dodge as many runners as possible. Still had it in me to speed up along the seafront so was on a mission image  It just means I didn't run hard enough for the other 12 miles lol.

Maybe see you at mile 12 in the NB English half in 2 weeks haha.

• Martin Slater 3 wrote (see)
    Micromagic - its normally sub 80 mins or if you a quick 10k time the will use that. I think I put down that I was aiming for sub 80 mins in this years race after previously frun 83 mins for the north run.

Thanks, I will try for Zone A in the application for 2011, it would give me a lot of motivation to really step up my training to try get under the 80min mark. I still feel like a was holding back a bit yesterday thinking I might need it towards the end but I felt great all the way (must have been the 3 jelly babies I grabbed!).

Congrats to everyone who took part  image

• CM2 I am also doing the GSR in 5 weeks.  Any body else?
  • Feel a bit flat today but then again I just felt satisfied with my run yesterday as I got round nursing an injury that has stopped training for the last few weeks. I felt the lack of miles really hindered my progress from 8 miles and I struggled home on 2:20 totally drained, obviously the lack of sugar in the poweraid played a part but to be honest I didn't realise till I read this.

For me the GNR is a mass charity event and I don't view it as a race, sadly a lot of people do walk and this really used to pee me off like a lot of people on this thread have stated. However, when you see why these people are attempting this and hear the stories I can't begrudge them forcing me to do a little de-tour and as far as I can see there is no clear advice on moving over to allow faster runners through. As for cutting the numbers, yes it would reduce congestion but so many people would miss out and the event wouldn't be what it is, not to mention the charity coffers being down.

For me, if my leg holds up I'll be doing the Jedburgh half in a month, really recommend this race, if it wasn't for injuries this year it'd should have been my 3rd half this year... anyway well done to all, if you reached your targets, excellent... if not; there's always next year!

SF

• Only 27 more posts shy of 12,000!  Must try harder next year image
  • 26 to go

only 1,000 posts per month

Poor by usual standards

• Really enjoyed the race yesterday (my first GNR).  Crowd support was great, I can't remember a part of the course without any support on it.  My one criticism would be having to overtake so many people due to people putting down suspicious predicted times, but that happens with all races so hey ho.

Legs still quite sore, but I celebrated tonight with a KFC and some red wine, Run to the Beat half marathon next weekend, hurrah!

Full review here for anyone who is interested:

http://www.the1000milechallenge.com/373/great-north-run/

• Just got back from another great weekend in the North East.  This event has attracted some negative press over the years however, if it hadn’t been for the GNR I would never have started running at the grand old age of 47 all those years ago.  I have met some wonderful folks through this event and it was brilliant to meet up with so many again this year and also meet up with some new peeps.  Great to see so many friendly faces in the Sanddancer afterwards. We stayed a bit longer than intended, however we managed to get our own personal double decker bus, for just the five of us, from South Shields back to the front door of our hotel in Jesmond - just like something from Summer Holiday (for those who are old enough to remember the Cliff Richard film!!!).

I had a reasonable run considering my pathetic effort in Glasgow two weeks previously.  Happy enough to finish in 2:05 something given my lack of proper preparation which was a couple of minutes faster than my official time (thanks for the explanation Kelly). Like many, I struggled for the last three miles, so in my own case it proves that you only get out of it what you put in! 

XL I just missed you on Sunday - it would have been great to have had a blether again. I’m not going to do Blaydon until it is on a weekend as I can’t be sure of getting the time off work midweek. One of these days we’ll get together and put the world to right again!

• Yesterday was my first GNR (and 1st half marathon), and I am happy to say won't be my last!

The atmosphere was amazing - I had a grin fixed to my face for the 1st 7 miles, and I am proud to call Tyneside my adopted home - the crowds were phenomenal and really restored my faith in human nature! The girl with the ice pops at mile 11 ish was my fave!

After nursing a somewhat painful and colourific blister from mile 4 I made it round in 2.17 - 7mins shy of my target, but given the blister and fact I'd been off work sick the week before I'm reasonably chuffed.

If you'd asked me at mile 10 if I would do it ever again, the answer would have been no, but now I can't wait until next year!!

I've registerd for reminder for next year, but how does one sign up for three years?

Thanks to all on here for their tips and advice - I've been lurking awhile whilst prepping for this, and reading everyones posts on the build up really helped get me in the mood! Some stunning times from flk,and I hope at the ripe old age of 31 my ruuning can take off!

Well done everyone! x

• Well done every body who took part ine GNR yesterday - runners/marshalls/supporters

Hi Mr K - thanks for waving as you came by & showed me a clean pair of......... !

•  What makes this such a wonderful run is seeing all those thousands of people who give up their time to help others in greater need.

I have so, so many memories - it has always had a 'special' meaning for me over the years.

Hectic build up this year with so much to do & prepare for, but well worth it. £ over £300 collected in bucket on the way round - set a target to raise £1000 - should exceed £1500 soon

Think I can best summarise why this year was so important with these 3 links ,as pictures can say more than my words :-

a) BBC TV  afternoon show  fast forward 38:00 mins

[u]http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00ty6zx/Athletics_2010_Great_North_Run_Part_2/[/u]

b)  Radio Newcastle interview at end of race - fast forward 20mins :00

[u]http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/p00b06f5/Jonathan_Miles_20_09_2010[/u]

c) Tyne Tees TV week before the run

[u]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw9GyEEiimk[/u]

• Well done to all who ran.  I hope you got the times you wanted and if not, at least you got round safely.

Thankyou to all those who cheered us on and to the locals who offered goodies to us all.  The oggy, oggy, oggy was a laugh as always going through the underpass.

I finished in 2.46, which I was pleased with after illness 2 weeks ago.  Was only 11 minutes slower than last year and left me thinking if only my prep had been uniterrupted, I may have set a new course PB.  Next year!!

At the age of 26, this was my 8th GNR and 10th HM.  Nearly on my 60th race aswell.  Here's to many more to come.  image

• I've just had a quick skim back.  Andy/Martin what awsome splits - never in my wildest dreams could I ever imagine running at that paceimage!!!
    Also many congratulations to Mick the Mackem for 10 consecutive Great North Runsimage.

Finally, after I was forced to walk within a mile of the finish, a  big thanks to the guy who gave me a slap with the words "I've been behind you for the last three miles and you're not going to walk now" and got me to the finish in (semi) dignified style!

• 2nd Bucket nearly counted ( £150 + )- miles 6 - finish ( thankfully club colleague supporter was able to spot & able to take full bucket & habd be fresh empty one

1st bucket - start - 6 mile point ( not yet counted, but will exceed total in 2nd bucket

Fab, fab people who were out supporting & donating in all weathers - THANK YOU

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/399094/Gallery/money_gnr_001a.JPG

• Evening all image

Just got back from the North East and am shattered!

Sounds like everyone has had a good weekend image

Will do a race report tomorrow when I am more awake! image
  • BTW - saw Vicki:GW on the highlights show - what a great dress, and what a fab time!!!! image
  • Hi Vixx - hope that you had a great time - looking forward tto your report..

Geordie Nick - well done on your fund raising and for humphing that lot round the course!

• Wow - what a day. First GNR and only second time Ive run that far but loved every minute of it. Having done the Manchester 10k I realised that huge crowds and PBs dont really go and, after registering for Solomon Trail Half Marathon in two weeks, decided to just savour the occassion. Lots of Hi-Fiving the kids and also found myself applauding the thousands of unbelievably supportive people lining the streets - its only after watching the tv coverage today did i realise how rubbish the weather actually was cos not even the rain spoiled my day (although I now have a cold).

However, by mile 8 the masses had thinned and I realised I wasnt too far away from a pleasing time and had plenty left in the tank so managed to sprint home in 1:37 - only 2 mins off my pb. Would love to do around that in 2 weeks but knowing the area, if the weather doesnt improve its gonna be tough.

Well done to everyone involved yesterday - Newcastle, the organisers, the crowds and especially the runners! See you next year

• Well done to everyone who took part yesterday. You are all stars.

It was my first time doing the GNR and I came in at 2 hrs 32, not great as I did my first half marathon in April this year in 2 hrs 24. I was suprised with how tough the course felt. I got to the half way point in  just over an hour but then completely ran out of steam. No matter though, I loved every minute of it. Saying that, I do distinctly remember thinking that I would tell the VLM exactly where to stick it if I did get through in the ballot. Now I really hope I do get a place image

I did think it was busy, but not too busy - maybe that's because at my pace I wasn't trying to get past too many people. I loved seeing all of the fancy dressers. For some odd reason I suddenly felt the need to slow down a little as the blue thong boys ran by me .... As for the support. Are Tyneside people always like that?! They were fabulous. I think the big chunk of Mars bar I took off someone was probably a bit much though .. seemed to take me a full mile to chew it.

On a tip off from Bolden Collier (thank you so much) I camped at the South Shields and Westoe Rugby club ground - a 15 min hobble from the finish. It was the first year they've done the camping and they really were fantastic. I've already pre booked for next year. Brill camping, great breakfast, BBQ the night before and buffet after the race. Plenty of showers - them being a sports club, and loads of friendly locals around.

Bring on next year!!!

• Agree with Westoe Rugby Club - nothing was too much trouble; fabulous people! Great facilities, two minutes walk to the metro, 10/15 from the finish line and all for just £15.

Highly recommended!

• Hi folks,

Well done to everyone!  Some fantastict times achieved. 

Was hoping for sub 2:30 but it eluded me yet again - by 8 seconds image.  So frustrating as I know I could have got in just under.  Still got a course PB though and there's always next year (room already booked image)  That's the 3rd time I've got 2:30 and some seconds.  I'm consistent if nothing else!

Seemed more congested than usual this year with more people walking en masse specially at one of the roundabouts.  To those who have used there only post on here to criticise walkers, I have to speak out in their defence just a little.  I walk sometimes.  I make sure I can run til beyond the Tyne Bridge - but even if i walk, i know I can still finish in my predicted time.  I couldn't finish it without walking.  Some folks build run/walk into their shedule and that shouldn't be knocked.  The issue is more that not enough is made of asking people to walk on the left and nobody ever asks them to do it in single file.  One walker is tricky, but a barrage of them is infuriating. 

But also, many people find that on the day they can't achieve their predictions for other reasons - they've really not all been lying!  Some people train hard and long but then get injured.  Their determination to still complete the course may mean they finish slower than expected, but finish they do! 

Was the Powerade actually the Zero one on route?  I didn't read the bottle whilst running.  At the Expo they were handing out Powerade Zero but they said it would be Powerade Isotonic on the route.

'jenniie'  I think you will find that needing the toilet is quite a natural event, specially when people have set off early to get there.  Not everyone has it down to a fine art. Plus, some people find they need the loo during the race (Paula Radcliffe could have made good use of one if she wasn't in such a hurry!) when they least expect it.  Not always down to errors of judgement.

Vixx - looking forward to hearing your report.

• Vixx. Good to hear from you.  Was getting worried.

RLTW.  Thanks for saying that about the loo stops. Felt a bit bit bad for having to stop twice in the race with a wait of 7-8 mins each time.  Running just affects people differently. Still had a brilliant day though.

Liz

• Well said RLTW,I do a few half marathons every year and always see people walking no matter how small a field,I didnt feel to good from shortly after the half way point and walked on and off at the side of the road,then you get the people who like to run at the sides to soak up the atmosphere and get the high fives,so you just cant please everyone,My stomach felt that bad on Sunday i felt like dragging one of the toilets around with me.
  • Well this was my first GNR having done 2 previous half marathons earlier in the year. What can you say but WOW!!!

The atmosphere, the spectators encouragement and the oggy oggy reverberating thru the tunnels just gives you the goose bumps. Didnt stop grinning from ear to ear till about mile four and then only cos I realised I'd gone out too fast on a high and was gonna struggle towards the end.

Had really wanted to finish under the 2hr mark, but due to a bush stop (lol) and too fast start finished in 2hrs 4, which I'm actually pleased with cos it means I have to come back next year now to try again.

Couldnt believe how many total strangers shouted my name for me and loved high fiving the kids & Dec, absolutely awesome.

My only downer (other than the toilets of course) was that I wore my little green ribbons and didnt see one other ribbon - you guys are just too quick for me - note to self - train harder for next year!

Cathy

• Cathy - I am probably too slow! image

I did meet somebody in the start pens, but the embarrassing thing is that he and his running partner were absolutely lovely people and I hope they had a fantastic time, but just as they were telling me who they were, the DJ started going again (think speakers had gone down briefly) and I couldn't hear them over him! So, whomever the two of you are, please make yourselves known, and I hope that you had a fantastic race, and I'm sorry I had to tell you I was looking for a gap in the fence!
  • *jennie* wrote (see)

Cant believe people are complaining about the toilets on the course its your own fault for drinking to much!  if u got to take a wizz during a race you've over hydrated... step away from the water stops!

Just got to echo what Run Like the Wind and others have already said:

I needed the toilet from the very start of the race - it wasn't 'my own fault for drinking too much' - I hadn't over-hydrated at all, I had breakfast at 7.30pm and then just sipped a bottle of water in the run up to the race, but didn't even drink more than say a third of it.  The problem is that the queues for the portaloos before the race are ridiculous so often you just join a queue whether you want to go or not - I've had to wait for over half an hour for a toilet before.  And going in the bushes isn't an appealing prospect, especially if you're female and can't do it as discreetly as the blokes.  Plus I nearly came a-cropper on the wooden fence climbing over it on Sunday as it was soaking wet from the rain, covered in moss, and slippy as anything - nearly did myself an injury before I'd even started!

Then there's the fact that we're encouraged to get into our start pens in good time, as many have said they've been refused entry in the past because they've arrived and the pens have been already full.  Once you're in, you're pretty much a captive audience - and once you know you can't now pay a visit, what does your mind start doing?  Yep - tells you you need the toilet!

Coupled with that is pre-race nerves and the effects that has on your bladder.  Is it any wonder that people (especially women) start the race needing to go sometimes?

Just a specific set of circumstances - nothing to do with it being our own fault for drinking too much beforehand!

• GNR 2010 Race Report image

I got up on the morning with a sore back, but much easier than it had been 3 days previously, so decided that I was going to do it, and if I had to walk most of it then that was what I would do - but secretly I was frightened of causing myself more damage. It seemed to get easier though the more walking that I did.

My mate and I got to the start just in time to see the Elite Men's bus arriving, but I couldn't see Haile at all (and I did look!) so we followed it as far as we could and ended up on the bridge just after the start line watching 'celebrities' warming up (although Stuart Manning had his hands down his pants)!

We then went down to watch Sue Barker interviewing people and they played Abide With Me. Normally I can listen to that and not be affected but somehow this year it affected me (and I always think of my Grandma each year, who loved the hymn) and I was sobbing away leaning against the fence. I must have looked odd, and I HATE crying myself but always feel empathetic when others cry. Hope my mate didn't see, but he didn't say anything which is good of him!

We saw quite a few people being interviewed and warming up, so here's a list:

Kids TV legend Floella Benjamin with a space blanket on.
    David James (did he run?)
    Ray Stubbs
    Helen Skelton (the Action Lady from Blue Peter)
    Stuart Manning
    Ant and Dec with the Mayor
    Cheryl Baker
    Alistair Campbell

More report to follow.....
  • Vixx, David James didn't run - he was just there supporting his WAG who was running.

...waiting for 2nd instalment image

• GNR 2010 Race Report (cont...)

After celebrity spotting we then went to our pens - my mate was in D and I was in F. I decided that this year would be a change and I decided I would go OVER the flyover instead of doing the usual underpass route, so I crossed over the carriageway to start that side of the road. Must say it was quite nice and I could still hear the OGGY's over my iPod image

This is the first year that I haven't had a hip injury, but I did have the recurring back problem that was a niggly worry for me, and the hills in the first few miles were pulling my lower back, but it didn't feel too bad until I got to 4 miles and felt like my ass had been given an electric shock. Then, no more pain. Very odd. To excuse the pun though, I ran with it anyway image

I was determined to run as much as I could after this point, and although my heart rate was high I kept on plodding. I had to have a couple of 100-step walk breaks to let it come back down some times but overall I managed to walk the vast majority of it, which I was chuffed with.

I saw a family at one point handing out cups of water and sweets that they were obviously doing out of love for the event and thought that was soooo nice of them to do that for people! How kind!

Saw Dame Tanni Grey-Thompson at the water station at around 8 miles, which was nice.

I kept plodding on, swerving past runners as I slowly made my way through the crowds. I did have to actually push through two walkers who were right in front of me as I was jammed in by walkers and some runners were coming up by me too, and if I didn't push through them then I'd have to stop and walk, which I just did not want to do. They did not seem pleased, even though I yelled Excuse ME! at the top of my voice and they didn't respond coz they were chatting.

The drizzle started as I approached Mile 12, and I got my jelly babies and had a couple more to see me through the last mile (I didn't have the Powerade as I hate the stuff) and I still had half a bag left so I offered them to a runner and told him to take them and pass them round, and I saw the bag slowly being passed forward to other runners going forward image

I wanted to run across the whole sea front part, and apart from another 100-step walk I did manage it, and even managed to sprint from 400m to go. I crossed the line in 2:40:51, which is actually my worst GNR time ever, but I ran most of it this year and I thought that was the bigger accomplishment for me image

On a foot note, I thought that sign about being tired was HUGELY disrespectful as the first 3 or 4 miles are quite undulating, and when you are running in and out of fellow runners or walkers you are using up extra energy, so you are quite likely to be tired. Something motivational at that point would have been much better. I know the sign possibly in a weird way was meant to be motivational, but I think it just demoralised people image
  • Great report Vixx! I love the story about the jelly babies being passed around!

The sign about being tired was an advertisment for TakeToTheStreets.org, the "training" website also owned by Nova International. Personally I thought the sign was funny, it made me laugh, but I felt quite strong at that point - maybe if they had put it up later in the race I would have been irritated! I can see why it would annoy people but it was certainly eye-catching.

Other lovely touches I appreciated included the LED road signs displaying messages for the race - "Halfway Point" and then another one just before the final mile.

In a cheesy way I appreciated the Bupa Boost Zone, maybe because that was mentally where it started to get tough for me as 10 miles was my longest run in training. The jelly baby helped!

I agree on the Powerade though, whilst I wasn't planning to rely on it as it plays havoc with my insides, I thought it bizarre to hand out zero-calorie sports drinks during a half-marathon. (I find the concept of low-calorie sports drinks bizarre anyway, but I suppose there is a market for them.) I always assumed that the race organisers don't have to pay for the supplies of energy drinks on the run as it is a marketing opportunity for the drinks manufacturer, which goes some way to explaining why Powerade wanted to give out Powerade Zero as a way of launching their new product.