Southend 10k Classic

Hi All,

This one's in between my charity event of two halves in two weeks (RTTB/Royal Parks).

Original conv eons ago with Gatton and Pixie (Horndon thread.... eons ago!) meant I considered it to keep me mobile inbetween the two halves. Following RW half mara training schedule means I am hoping to be able to race this one now.

Think there was talk of a forumites event too Pix....?

First ever sub-60 10k PB last weekend (flat race at Battersea Park) means I want to beat it still, particularly as Battersea wasn't chipped, starting 9mins AFTER the start time (traffic), my official time showed 68mins! Need an official sub-60 image

Who's in....?

Comments

• Steady on girl you've gone race mad!!

Gonna see how my creaky knees hold up at the RTTB before entering but the course looks good.

• Consider it a recovery run image

• Oh, there is a thread on this.  I'm in!

This is 3 weeks before Beachy Head marathon so I've got some crazy idea I'm going out on the Monday after to do my last 20m run.  Should be fun.  image

• I just had to make one image

Welcome PhilPub.

Good luck with Beachy Head! Are you using the 10k as a warmup for your 20m? How do you do a 20m on a Monday??

• Sorry Tracy taken me an AGE to post on here.  Just heard from Gatton this morning and told him about it so hoping we manage a meet up.  How are you feeling after yesterday?

Hello Flatfootedimage  So how did you get on at RTTB?

Hello Phil!!!  How are you?  Still got that lippy on your face I see.....

• TracyB - the 10k is a target race in itself - running pretty well at the moment so I'm having a relatively easy week so I can spank a big PB on Sunday.  I'm in two minds about the 20m on Monday now. I've done a few the day after Saturday races, e.g. 5,000m or cross-country, but 10k may be a bit hard to run on the day after.  I've done 7x 20+ runs incl. 2 x 23, so a long taper may not do any harm!

Pixie - Hullo!  You running this one?  Yeah, that lippy's difficult stuff to get off.  I wish she'd not come anywhere near me now.  image

• Just back from Fizz and he says I am all clear for this one so that is good news. Doing this a bit slower after calf problem and want to do the GER next week as well.

Just looked at race number and is is the month and year I was born.. think it was just a coincedence though.....#1045  will have white vest with Gatton on front and a Giraffe on the back raising money for the Basilldon Hospital Neo Natel Unit. If you see me  for goodness sake say hI....

• I want to 'spank' a big PB too this Sunday!!  Yes running this one Phil you hardcore nutter image
  • Oooh X-post with Gatton!  Great news from the fizz....I'm still doing GER on the 11th (Lee the Pea is a doubtful).  Want to try and PB that too.  On Sunday I will be in a Springfield Striders vest....erm I'm small......and am usually smilingimage 
  • Will keep an eye out for you..... what will be your PB.. just so you can wave to me on your way back as I am still going out to Chalkwell.
  • Oh if we're doing descriptions, something like this but without the gel pack or victory salute... unless all the really quick people forget to turn up, of course! image
  • You can def wave to me on the return from Chalkwell...maybe you can nip into the chippy and order mine for me so I dont have to wait too  long once I have finished to beat the queues...
  • I want to do sub 56 mins (he he!).....Phil love your pic!image
  • As you have chip timing don't get boxed in by going to far near the front at the start. Another little tip ( as if you need any) run in the center of the road  i.e next to the central reservation as the road slopes badly towards the sea. ( saves possible injuries )
  • Oh fab! I'm not the only one doing Southend 10k after all  image

Bad ending at last 3miles of RTTB yesterday.. with a PW of 2hr 41 image

Description... Pixie I look the same as Horndon but slimmer image May be wearing Benfleet Running Club vest... Keep seeing t-shirts with tinkerbell on.. presume you have one in your wardrobe already.. Peeps, refer to profile pic for me at Horndon image

Hoping to beat my Battersea 10k (first sub-60 at 59.36) but my knees are suffering (think there's still too much weight to carry image) after RTTB yesterday, limp-running.. think they should make it a new sport! Potentially it could take me 1.5hrs image but will stick to centre of road

Ok, look out for me to say hi too and see if I'm around for post-run celebrations, or commiserations probably in my case.

Oh sorry.. it's an upbeat thread - still wallowing in unattractive trait of self-pity from yesterday... am lovely really image

• Tracy I really didn't know what to say about your race yesterday image I'm sure other people have come up with proper wise words of wisdom.

Tinkerbell t-shirts?  I WANT one!!!!

Gatton thanks for the tips.....I heard there's like 1,000 people entered?  Last time I did this the finish was chaos so I hope it's ok this year.  Then again it wasn't chip timed then either....

• Chip timing makes it so much better. You dont have to be in the "silly area" at the start and you can just "do your own thing ".. I think they are getting better each year. I did it in '07 and it wasn't too bad.
  • I'm in!

Fourth year in a row for me.  The chaos at the finish line was in 06 I think and was caused by a medical problem so the marshalls were dealing with that (or that's what I seem to remember, I came in ages afterwards and so had no problems!).

I've enjoyed it every time and I was looking forward to it until this lunchtime's run and a hurty achilles image.  RICE for me over the next few days and fingers crossed!

• Oooh GG poor you......fingers crossed you'll be ok for Sundayimage
  • Whilst we're doing descriptions image

feel my pain Pix:

http://www.sportcam.net/CompetitorDetail.aspx?ID=1684234+&type=No,7743+&Name=

Knees loads better today..swim later, small run tomorrow... see ya Sunday image

BTW, the tinkerbell t-shirts I saw, I'm sure was in New Look.

• I saw them on FB this morning.....I think it's sooo cruel that they took them of  you in such obvious pain!!  On the positive there's one of you and you're 'sort of' smiling and you do look skinny image

I've got the day off on Friday and am Lakeside bound so will pay a visit to New Look.

Look forward to seeing you Sunday image

• Oh well that sorts that out........ went for a little run this morning to try out my calf muscle and guess what....... It bloddy well went again. .............image......

so I will be a spectator on Sunday and wish everyone else the very best  of luck.

If anyone wants a spare number e-mail me and put race in the subject box...

• Oh Gatton......poor you!image  How long you got to rest up?  Where will you stand so know where to look out for you and wave manically!!!
  • image Pixie, the first one was about 1mile from the start. Thanksk for the skinny comment - think it was the angle of the photo image It was the first race I tried to actually avoid the cameras, and unfortunately there seemed to be millions at miles 10-13 image

Gatton, am sorry for you too. I'm trying out a small run tomorrow due to knee injury, but if it's no good, I may be supporting too image

• That company are evil....they took photos at the duathlon and there was a guy snapping away as I shamefully got off my bike and walked up the hill.  Luckily they didn't publish that one!

Gatton I'm asking around to see if anyone wants your number.....Tracy hope your knee holds up.  Don't want to risk your next half.

• Gatton, that's a shame, hope the weather's nice for spectating then, last year was bad enough to run in let alone stand and cheer anyone on!

My Achilles is feeling a lot better today so will ice it again tonight and I'm hopeful for Sunday.

TracyB, hope your knee is ok on your run tomorrow.

Pixie, I love shopping so been wondering all afternoon if you got your t-shirt from New Look???

• Gatton I might have someone interested in your number - they're getting back to me tomorrow (have to check with their wife first like every good man should!)

GG glad your achilles is better todayimage  I haven't hit the shops yet - it's Friday.  Lakeside (I can't afford Bluewater at the mo) here I come!!!

• Oops!  Should have read your post properly image  Enjoy your shopping on Friday!

• No worries!!  image  It's nice of you to remember!
  • Pixie,

When shopping always check finance guru Martin Lewis' Moneysavingexpert.com website... there's an offer there for 10% off New Look if you can get their instore magazine, for example:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/discount-voucher-codes

Have a nice day shopping x