Options

Southend 10k Classic

2»

Comments

• Options
    Thanks Tracy - top tip!!!  Have a lovely day image
  • Options
    Thanks Pix... will be at the turn round point at Chalkwell as it is much easier to get there thatn to the finsh area... Enjoy Lakeside.... yuk I hate the place. ( I only live 2 miles away ) and stay as far away as possible. I iwll be in Cheltenham Friday and Saturday shame could have enjoyed a meet.... Next time... hope oyu find yout "T" shirt.. There is a shop that does printing on the top floor near the food hall.
  • Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Gatton - sorry to hear of your injury woes. Hope a short rest sorts it out for you.

Quick question - how is the race likely to be affected by a stiff westerly wind?  Seems like every time I try to get out for a quick 10k this year, the wind suddenly gets up!

• Options
    Guys, might have to pull out of this one. Back from a steady 3m, knee only made it to 2m.. image doesn't seem worth risking as need to rest up for Royal Parks following week for charity event image Also trying to get work's physio appt asap - perhaps accupuncture will help whatever's wrong with it.... fingers crossed. Will def be there to support at least cos OH is running it..
  • Options
    PhilPub... a westerly wind will be behind you on the way out and in your face on the return.........just tuck in behind the leader until you come into the sports field and then sprint..... you know you can do it..
  • Options
    Tracy poor you........agree best not to risk it but look forward to hearing you from the side lines!  I know sooo many people who are injured at the moment.  My mate JW (on here) is doing Dublin mara in a few weeks and she went over on her ankle last night...she's gutted.
  • Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Tracy - best of luck for making the Half.  Fingers crossed!

Gatton - heh!  Cheers!  The problem with these little fellas up the front is, they make terrible wind-breaks! image

• Options

Awww, that's a shame Tracy, still best to target the HM instead. 

PB, the wind always seems to be in your face on the way back along the seafront, even if it's been in your face all the way to Chalkwell!!

• Options

Ok, have been told not to do Southend and Benfleet RC members will sit on me if I try to move to run image

Physio appt for Tuesday. Will be around the start/finish waiting for OH (won't take him long image ) so look out for me and say hi image I'll be the one with the long face itching to run image

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE RUNNING SUNDAY image

• Options
    I'm in! My PB was in 2004 (58:30) but I'm about 2.5 stones heavier now so I'll be happy just to finish. This is my first race since FLM2007 and I have a place for London next year so this is really just my first warm up race.

Running has been going quite well but not looking at a time for tomorrow - will start (and finish!) at the back. Probably will look at about 1:15:00. Give me a wave once you've all picked up your medals and t-shirts!

I'll be all in black wearing 626.
  • Options

I'm also hoping just to get round, my achilles/ankle is still not 100% and I'm supposed to be doing the Tiptree 10 next Sunday.  Also hoping the wind drops for tomorrow, it's really blowy out there where I am let alone along the seafront!

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Fantastic race, really well organised and a great atmosphere.  Bit blowy going out but that's what seafronts are all about I guess.  And it could've been a lot worse, given Saturday's weather.

I managed to track down the results already via powerof10 (athletics data). I don't want to be too critical because the organisation was outstanding, but it does appear that 10/11 secs has been added on to most people's chip time for the official time - given that I was standing on the start line when the hooter sounded, this is clearly a discrepancy.  Anyone know if this is likely to be amended?

• Options
    I agree with Phil - great race, nice weather, good atmosphere, good course. Can't comment on the chip times as I started right at the back (low expectations!). I was really chuffed with my 1:06:33 - first race for a few years and I had plenty left in the tank for a grandstand sprint finish!
  • Options

PhilPub, I'll be annoyed if that is the case because my watch time 49.56 and a PB. If they put me officially outside 50 minutes I'll cry foul!

Other than that, though, they did a pretty good job of organising things, I thought.

• Options

Oooh I'm annoyed too!  Just checked that results site and it's added 1 min and 4 seconds to my Garmin time!  More than 10/11 seconds for me!!!  It's still a PB but takes some of the shine of it.....

I thought the start was way too congested.  I ran in the cycle lane for the first kilometre or so as I was just tripping up over people.  Anyway I won't winge anymore!!  Well done everyone!!!

• Options
    Ok ok ok excuse my previous whinging.....I was looking at the GUN time....my chip time is 1 second faster than my Garmin so well happy!!!image
  • Options

Totally agree about the discrepency.  My garmin time was 42.25, chip time 42.22 and gun time 42.36!!  I know I started my garmin about 1 sec after the gun went off, and that the clock said 42.28 as I ran under it at the end.

Hmmmmmm.  Well, I am definitely logging it as a sub 42.30.

• Options

I was just pleased to make it round!  My achilles started aching after about 5k so didn't set the world alight with my time but happy enough with it.  Still debating if I'm fit enough to run the Tiptree 10 this weekend......

I normally only pay attention to the chip time (if available) btw....

• Options
    And I meant to add, thanks to the organisers and volunteers for all their hard work  image
  • Options
    To all of those people complaining about the additional 10 seonds on the chip time. This was caused by a runner stepping on to the  start mat before the horn sounded.  This has now been rectified on the latest results.
  • Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Cheers David. 

(I'll have a go at him next time I see him. image )