Options

Central Lancashire New Year Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Fozzy - I can see how frustrating it must be to travel and then have the event postponed at the last minute - but just a quick question: if you could have checked Twitter/Facebook, how come you couldn't check RW? There were 3 threads going yesterday with the announcement on, and they were all regularly bumped up to the top. Or is it a mobile phone thing where you can see some sites and not others?
  • Options
    It`ll be interesting to see how news of a new event is communicated. I don`t think it`s good to rely on RW alone. I doubt I`ll be able to make a re-aranged date if it`s in the next month so I wonder if I`ll get a refund. image
  • Options

To Andy from embsay. I couldn't check anything whilst i was driving to lancashire on saturday. There was no indication on saturday morning that the event was to be cancelled - not even on Runners world site or this feed. There was no link from the runners world event page to the organisers web page, wherever that is? A simple good old fashioned phone number would have done!!

The point i am making is that there is no excuse for poor communications when all your phone numbers are submitted at the time of booking.

This is a relatively small event with a limit of 300 and it is in January so you should have a plan for bad weather - in fact as has been pointed out on this feed - there was instruction that in adverse weather an out and back course would be used instead of the small roads.

Anyway sorry to ramble on - i will shut up now and get ready for the next even in 2 weeks near Runcorn,hope the weather improves!!!!

Keep on Running!

• Options
    The Telford 10k which was cancelled in December had a rearranged date, and those who could not make it could claim a refund within a cutoff date and those numbers reallocated, so I guess the organisers of this one will do something similar.
  • Options

It seems possible that there is a connection between the organisers of this race and the organisers of the Blackpool Marathon. The website for the latter event provides some contact details, including an email address and a phone number - http://www.blackpoolmarathon.com/raceteam.html.

• Options
    Fair point, Fozzy - just thought if you could see Facebook you'd be able to see RW. Wouldn't have helped in your case I guess. Cheers.
  • Options

It is unfortunate that Fozzy6s feels this is the best avenue through which to vent his/her spleen.

May I suggest a better avenue would have been to the race organiser, Ron McAndrew, Steve Ashcroft who was going to do the results, or myself as the referee who made the decision at 2.15pm yesterday afternoon. We were all at Catforth this morning to explain to people why I called the race off.

Between 2.30pm and 3pm yesterday afternoon I posted on three separate threads on her, and added it tgo my own Facebook page.

The organisers emailed as many people as they could and did make attempts to telephone people.

Two local radio stations were informed.

With the best will in the world there were still going to be people arriving at the venue. this morning we spoke to no more than 20 people. Out of an entry of 300 I don't think that's too bad.

Fozzy62: if you wish to email me privately about my decision you may do so through the message function of this site.

• Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

how are you Brain   been running in soft snow today  and i was ok   did slip on my side yestaday but up and running within 10 secs

soup  are you a runner

• Options

I'm OK H-N

I did a 16 miler in Blackpool today as London training. I was hoping to run this race today but as soon as I saw the roads yesterday there was no way I would have run on them so it was an easy decision to make.

• Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    it has been bad in saddleworth   heavy snow here yestaday  but will not put me of   I have a 20 miler in13 weeks   the spen 20 at cleackheaton
  • Options

I have a hectic (mostly hilly off-road) race schedule, so there's no way I can fit in more flat road training so as properly to prepare for a re-scheduled date, so I'm going to email Ron and ask for a refund (presumably partial? image )

• Options
    Brian`s response seems fair enough. I was already in Penwortham where it was treacherous. However, I didn`t get a call or an email - ? It was lucky that I spotted it on RW. I hope that there is a decision about a new date ASAP and that a refund option is offered.
  • Options

I have responded to Brian's message privately and wish him luck with the Re-run arrangements!

I look forward to loads of communications / Telephone numbers etc.

Keep on Running!

• Options

Hi All

Ron says

New date Sunday  7th Feb

all January  enters will get Prize and Medal

• Options
    E.C.N.E.C.N. ✭✭✭
    cheers 7th feb here i come image
  • Options

Excellent, cheers Stephen.

Looking forward to it, hopefully we get a thaw before then, set to be cold for a while longer according to weather!

• Options
    No good for me as i'll be doing the Alsager 5 that dayimage
  • Options
    E.C.N.E.C.N. ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Is that a prize, medal and a partial refund for those who cannot make 7th Feb or just a refund for them?
  • Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    way this weather is going   could be postponed again   you never know     could not get to work today
  • Options

BR,

My understanfding it will be a prize and medal for those who entered for January and complete the race on 7th Feb.

Those who cannot make the 7th Feb need to contact the organiser about partial or for refunds.

I think that's how it's working

• Options
    7th Feb, is fine with me...and i like prizes...and medals. image
  • Options
    micknphil-marathonlads.com wrote (see)
    Race limit reduced to 300 as at 21/11/09 Race two thirds full. New Event run through coutry lanes of central Lancashire Race Limited to 300 for safety reasons.

It is interesting to note that the limit for the rearranged date has been raised to 400. I hope this does not compromise runners’ safety.

• Options

"Safety" is used as an excuse for not doing something far too often these days!

Running on the roads in January is always going to be risky - it will be interesting to see if the Brass Monkey half goes ahead this sunday as there has been far more snow on this side of the country!

Last time i managed to get an entry ,2005, there was ice on the course - we were told to take care!

• Options
    Fozzy...The Brass Monkey is on the 24th Jan. You got me worried then, i not ready for this weekend.image
  • Options
    Sorry about that ! - one week after not before - it will be tropical by then!!!
  • Options
    GP - Ditto! I`m hoping to get a couple of long runs in before then. Managed some intervals in the snow today but only short ones and did 7 miles on Tuesday. image
  • Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    soup   why do you not put on a race  if you think you are better then other people
  • Options

Soup won't put a race on HN. He finds it much easier to comment (generally in the negative vein) thsn to commit.

Soup, the same challenge I gave you on the Garstang 10K thread holds true for this thread too.

(Sits by the phone to wait but doesn't hold his breath)

• Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

I know  Brain     I do not think he runs  as there is nothing on his profile  

yes is soup stirring   because Ron puts this race on