Options

Dublin Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Half a dozen of us from Bath are "doing" Dublin - afraid we've all been extremely motivated and some have managed 22/23 miles last Thursday eve - 3 hrs 25 or so.

Don't ask why Thurs eves for long runs - too complicated.

Today we took part in the North Somerset Relays - 5k legs - so that's the speedwork ticked off. Next week it's the Bristol Half and then it's feet up until the big day. Well, maybe the odd shorter run now and then.

Have done Dub three times before. Great atmosphere, fab support, especially (as has been said elsewhere) from the American runners' supporters. The course is fine, the weather can be dodgy, and too much Guinness (or red, white or champagne, Snicks) is best left until afterwards.

But a couple the night before (for medicinal purposes) won't do any harm.

We're coming home Tuesday evening, so we have Monday eve to celebrate, Tuesday morning to recover and lunchtime to check out the Brewery. Is there anything else we should do whilst there?

• Options
    Never rains it pours...
    Two weeks ago was on great schedule doing 18 miles on sunday morning..no worries..last sunday did GSR and managed to overstress the peroneus muscle on outside of my right leg..went to physio duting the week he reckoned I'll be back running by end of this week. Did 2 hours on the ECT in the gym this morning..great - keep up the CV stuff....washed the b****y car this afternoon and managed to twist my other ankle!!! What a nightmare..so it's ice and slice again this evening and back to the physio tomorrow..err..with the other ankle. (I therefore sypathise with you seabird et al!). Whens everyone doing there last long one and how far are they doing..cant decide whther to do 20 or 22 miles...
  • Options
    Managed 21 miles today, 2 hrs 50, my longest run ever. Just a bit sore but feeling fine as all the other work seems to be coming together, hope I don't overdo it now though.
    Short recovery run tomorrow evening then back offshore for 10 days I think, only a bike and stepper available on this boat so a bit of cross training will be in order.
    Keep up the good work everyone, hope the aches and pains go soon.
  • Options
    Thanks for support and sympathy Sarcy1, Snicks and Ian. I've decided to be philosophical - if I can't run Dublin, I shall be looking ahead to the next race and hopefully being stronger and fitter. In any case I shall be in Dublin cheering you all on as I booked the accommodation and flight ages ago (perhaps that was tempting fate?!). Meanwhile, like Ian, back to the physio on Wed. Just had a thought, I was going to wash the car today, glad I didn't. Get well soon Ian!
  • Options
    Ian, I'm doing 20 again next week, then Windsor Half, then I'll try to do one more longy the following week - I want to have three 20s under my belt. Sorry you're in trouble Seabird - don't give up yet. Well done Sarcy1, 2:50, you're on for a good time then. I've got a very sore right arm. I think it's from holding my water bottle for 20 miles! Well done richK. Have to say, not even Snicks will be drinking the night before, but the night after...
  • Options
    At work borrowing the bosses computer, when will you be starting your taper Snicks? Did you manage all the way on just one bottle?
    Got to go.
    Has anyone else ordered their URWFRC vest/shirt? Are you planning on taking it with you?
  • Options
    I had one biggish bottle of water. Had drunk that by 10 miles. Then got a Lucozade Sport at around 12 miles. Also took three squeezys. Will do a 2:15 on 13th October, and a 1:30 on the 20th. Thanks for asking, just updated my schedule (when I should be working!!)

• Options
    Snicks,

London was my first and it was definitely mentally easier than this one was. I had a friend who was running as well and even though we didn't train together he was a useful soundboard.

I'm going to give 20 miles a real go on Saturday morning and if that goes badly decide what to do.

I think the mental problems far outweigh the diet issues.

I've also had to pull out of Windsor due to having to go to Amsterdam for work!

Hives
  • Options
    Shame not to meet you at Windsor Hives. Could have given you a pep talk! But really, I do sympathise. One big motivator for me is the fact that I've booked the flight, and arranged to stay with my friend. If you don't do 20 miles this weekend, does it matter? I know someone who's farthest long run is 15 miles, and only trains four times a week, and he gets sub 3:30. I know there are lots of stories of people like that, but as you say, it's the mental battle you've got to get your head round - oh, and so do I! What was your London time. Come on let's motivate each other and get the elusive sub 4!!
  • Options
    I'm dragging three people with me to Dublin so that should be motivation enough.

I ran a 1.43 half marathon and a 2.06 16 miler before London and then got a cold the week before and had a shocking last 10 finishing in 4.24. Sub 4 was always the plan.

I set the 20 mile target this week to try and force myself to "Come On Hives", so we shall see. I'm in Milan for the rest of the week and maybe that will help me relax a bit.

I get the feeling this motivating is all one way at the moment!!
  • Options
    Come on Snicks!!, see I can be motivating as well.
  • Options
    God I need it tonight. About to go out for a run - if my son ever goes to sleep. It's nearly 9pm and I'm knackered (the weekend is catching up on me!)...ho hum, will feel better after I've done it!!
  • Options
    Hives - you've done the FLM, so even though you were disappointed, you know you can do it, and because of the circs pre FLM you know you can improve. Hope Milan does the trick - come back chilled and get that 20 miler out of the way on Saturday. We'll all be there with you . .

Snicks - hate going out this late - so good for you managing to motivate yourself and get out. By the way - not even a teensy-weensy little half of black stuff the night before?

Seabird - hope the physio gets you back on the road - there's still plenty of time to get some miles in.

Everybody - avoid cleaning the car between now and November!
  • Options
    Evening all
    (I can't believe I'm writing this at 23:14)

I managed a slow 15 on Sunday 2:30 and I'm still knackered. I have to admit it was my first long run for 5 weeks. I can't remember London training being this hard. Hopefully running the Maidstone 10k & 1/2 Marathon on Sunday, so that's another 19 miles under my belt.

Good luck everyone.
  • Options
    Snicks - Hope the run went well, how far did you go?

richk - All very true but can you have a word with these demons in the back of my mind. I've got to work while in Milan but I have managed to sneak a trip to see AC Milan play tomorrow night.

P.S. COME ON SNICKS!!!
  • Options
    ...come on hives!!!

Wasn't a biggy last night hives. Speed session, 10k total, 5k of which was done in 21:30 broken down into 10 x 400m bursts plus 100m rests (actually, I think I only did 9 x 400m)...

RichK: snicks and teensy weensy don't go together. One night abstinence won't kill me!

Fortunatley, I never clean my car, £4.99 silver wash did the trick at the weekend.

Well done Jason - good luck with your two races on Sunday. You've over come your post June lethargy then!
  • Options
    visited the osteopath yesterday eve, to try to cure the back cramps I have been getting.
    Got the day off as it's Mrs legless's birthday, so gonna send her shopping, then go out and see how far I can run.
  • Options
    Snicks I have beaten my post June lethargy. Lets see if it lasts after Dublin.
  • Options
    Speed sessions, impressive. I have always treated playing Football as my speed work. When I did do them I could never remember what number I was up to. I recently trained and ran a 3000m in our works sports day and during training could never remember which lap I was on. Thankfully they had a lap counter and a bell on the big day.

Rain washes my scooter for me.
  • Options
    Well, the car-washing references made me smile today. Back to see the physio tonight and fingers crossed I'll be able to run the 20 miler on Sunday. (There's only so much x-training you can do!)
  • Options
    12 miles in 1.40.29, with one stop for the call of nature, 1mile up hill to start then a 1 mile flat, into the forest for 2*4mile loop then return.
    feeling happier now than this time last week!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Went to physiolast night...thought that the car-washing incident was quite amusing...MMMM..anyway, with a 'bit of luck' and some meore treatment on Friday I might be back on the road at the weekend. So desperate to get a 20miler under my belt..
  • Options
    Hi,Ian Wood, SArcy, Seabird, Snicks, Hives,Richk,Jason l, Dog Walker,anyone else doing Dublin, hope your all well and the training is going well. Did a 3 hour run Sat morning through some lovely parks in Derby. Weather was great. I'm doing Dublin with 4 mates. How about we arrange to meet up. Have a little drink! before the day. Then meet up again for post race drinkies and stories. We are going over on the Saturday and returning Wednesday dinner. Keep in touch. Chris.
  • Options
    Hi guys - time we updated on our progress as Chris suggests - for those of us here in Bath and Bristol the Bristol Half got in the way of our long runs today, but it was a great event and good to have a race amongst 6,000 or so other runners before our big day in Dublin. 1-43 for me, 1-38 (PB) for training partner, so all seems to be going well.
    Post race wind down, in the sun with some Guinness (of course) included initial planning for the social side of Dublin. There are 9 or 10 of us going in total, and one of our ladies is from Dublin. Altho she's not running the marathon she's coming over as it's her birthday that weekend.
    So on the Saturday night we're either all piling out to her Mum's for dinner unless her Mum sees sense, in which case we're probably going to the Bad Ass Cafe on Crown Alley in Temple Bar (www.badasscafe.com). Marathon runners from Bath and Bristol have been meeting there since the mid-80's pre-race - I first went there in 1990 and can recommend it. It can get full tho' . .
    If we're going to meet up at all - the one place we all have to go to is the registration place - how about that for an initial venue? Anyone doing the breakfast run on the Sunday morning? It's one thing I've never done - has anybody previously? I fancy turning up even if it's just for the breakfast (or is that only the name of the run?).
    We're flying from Bristol on the Saturday, arriving at Dublin late morning, and leaving again on Tuesday evening. Staying at the Comfort Inn on Talbot Street.
    Finally - not trying to organise everybody - just offering a few suggestions, honest!
  • Options
    Hi Chris Morrison, are you from Derby area? I'm going to Dublin with TeamTours(Derby Runner).Missed out on my long run today to compete in a local X-Country 5 miler at Uttoxeter;a great course and 9 water crossings.
  • Options
    Hello all, thought I would have missed more than I did here for the last 9 days, where is everyone and how are you all getting on now?
    Just back on dry land tonight so hoping for an easy 8 miles tomorrow with maybe an 18 miler on Sunday or Monday.
    if we decide to meet up are we all going in this sites colours? Are there name tags issued at registration? Just tired and frustrated that I haven't run the last 10 days, mild panic setting in...
  • Options
    Welcome back S1 - dunno where the rest are - all seem to have disappeared since I offered my ideas for a rendezvous!

Good job I'm thick skinned!

Good luck with the 8 and 18, must be tricky getting into a routine. Sure the 8 will get rid of the cobwebs - and the frustration - and as long as you take the 18 steady you'll be fine. But you already know that I'm sure.

I've done 9 this evening and hoping to do 20 on Sunday - unfortunately on my own in the afternoon as I can't make the morning run with my mates in Bath.

Anyone else?
  • Options
    Hello RichK, sorry for ignoring you! I keep moaning about my training, but well, frankly, it's just not good enough. I'll find out on Sunday when I do the Windsor Half how much my inconsistent training and also the fact that I'm not teaching as much fitness has effected me. Tonight was particularly bad. Feeling really tired, but not sleeping, eating too much...I dunno, Snicks is not herself. Planned to do long run on Sunday but only managed 16 miles, maily due to family commitments. Now I have to work the weekend after Windsor, so wondering if I'll ever get to do more than the 20 mile mark. Boo hoo, poor Snicks... As for your meeting suggestions, great idea, well done for organising something
  • Options
    Good luck y'all from the NY crew