Dublin Marathon

1212223242527»

Comments

• Great to meet you all and knock a few jars back, I feel like Douglas Bader. Cheers to the Wolves for sponsoring the taxi and kebabs and for intruducing me to the clan. Hopefully catchup in Connemara.
  • Hi Gof, I'm just scanning in the drinking photo's from Monday eve, which you may or may not care to use!!

E-mail me and I'll post it back to you.

Good to meet you - Connemara here we come!!
  • Hi Gof, trust your return journey was good and that it wasn't too hard getting on a plane when we were just waking up!!!!

The Wolves had loadz of fun with you and the other forumites....keep in touch!

I'm gonna put myself and Mr Wolfy down for the half in Connemara so we better start a thread I think...............
  • Hi everyone - hope you all had a good run & got the times you were looking for. This was my 3rd marathon and the biggest so far in terms of numbers of runners. I didn't think the organisation was that bad in terms of drinks, marshals etc. - though I do think that it depends on where you finish. A front runner's view is often totally different to someone in the middle or back of the field when drinks/gels etc. may have run out. I take your point Rich about the mile markers - I wasn't taking mile splits but I did notice the road had been sprayed with the distance at a couple of points but I'm not sure if that was the case throughout. I'd certainly consider running it again if only for the Guinness.
  • toilets...toilets.......
    As those who I run with know-I had the misfortune to require the use of one at the 9 mile pit stop, and 3 cubicles to share between all the desperate un-fortunates...totally inadequate....spent more time queing than pooing if you pardon the expression.......(hope my mum's not reading this!!!!!)
    apart from that-I enjoyed the whole experience, but must agree with Wolfy re the rent-a-crowd, apart from a few very encourageing peeps, the rest might have well stayed indoors, and the canadian and americans whooping and hollering really p*****d me off(but thats just a personal thing I spose)
  • I love the hootin' and a-hollerin',(but thats just a personal thing I spose).

• flippin Mr Wolfy joined in with the hooting and hollerin to wind them up, they didn't need any encouragement!
  • I think the above supports the comments in the papers next day about Dublin tolerating rather than actively encouraging the marathon. Shame really when it brings approx E12m to the local economy (apparently). Luckily didnt need the toilet but was amused at all the guys and gals nipping behind various walls, skips etc. One guy didnt even bother - just stood on the verge wipped it out and away he went much to the cheer of his mates of course!!
    Dont want to gove the wrong impression though, I did enjoy it immensly but not sure I would rush back there.
  • I had a fabulous time in Dublin and will have some very fond memories of it in the future. There is some interesting stuff appearing above though that I am inclined to agree with and would like to add to.

Toilets are always a disaster area at virtually all races. I can never be arsed to queue during the race (especially when I'm trying to run a good time) and although I'm not proud to say so, I found a quiet spot in some bushes just off the road for my stop.

The crowds issue is an interesting one and I'm glad others picked up on this. There were pockets when they were great, but other places they were quiet. I noticed this most coming down O'Connell Street and over the Liffey in the last half mile and I started clapping and trying to whip the crowd's enthusiasm up myself. I felt like a DJ trying to warm up a crowd before a roadshow or something! To be fair, most of them responded to me, but London is on a different scale altogether. Say what you want about London in terms of sheer quantities of runners, bad organisation, whatever, but in terms of huge crowd support and enthusiasm, it is unbeatable and I would urge anyone to run it at least once for this reason alone.

As for the American support, I must admit, I agree with LL and I found 'Nice Job Phil!' and 'Way to go Phil!' a little tiresome by the time I was feeling like sh!t in the last 6 miles, but I guess that is just the American way and at least they took the trouble to shout some support and I for one was grateful for this.

DW
  • Sister In Law 5.00.15secs
    Mother 5 38
    Moi 5 39 (didnt see her all way thru)
    Friend 5 56

Would also echo above comments but overall thought the experience was great and cant wait to go back to knock a couple of hours off time!! The Canadian cheerleaders may have been a bit sectarian with their support but thanks to their runner who saw I was in pain and gave me a couple of Advil

Grandmaster Flash was staying in our hotel!

Can anyone remind me web adress of people taking photos?

Thanks

• Hi Sarcy, any idea of when the photies will be ready?
  • Hi all
    Just back today - had a fantastic time. Ran a PB of 3:43:39 so was dead chuffed. It was my third marathon and favourite overall. The only complaint I would have was the drink stations were too far apart. The toilets or lack thereof didn't bother me, I usually just nip behind the nearest bush!!
    Well done everyone!
  • Hi all, well done on the fab times and pb's. Especially well done to all the first timers. Hope you all had a great time. My mates and I and really enjoyed our selves.
    Don't know what i enjoyed the most the 26 miles or the amount of drink and laughs we had.
    Richk..well done mate.. you deserve a pat on the back for all the tigerouslly hard work you put in! It did'nt stop there you even post our names and times up in lights for all to see.Cheers.
    ...now I know what i enjoyed the most...
    it was meeting you all.
    Hope our friendship grows from strenth to strenth.
    Hope to make the connemara.
    Take care.
    TR
  • Tigerrunner...be there or be square!!!!

super time had in Dublin all round from the sounds of things!
  • Our pics are up, at

http://www.asiorders.com/view_event.asp?EVENTID=1501

How much is $14.95 anyway? I'm still trying to figure out those €uro thingies!!