Dublin Marathon

Comments

• Fellow Dubliners, my training is going well and this time I'm hoping to beat the exusive 4:20 barrier. Got a 20 miler planned the week after Windsor; so fingers crossed.

RichK, thanks for the meeting up suggestions. Hopefully we can all work something out in the coming weeks.

Sythree and the NY crew: Good luck guys!

Snicks: Don't worry about the training. we'll just get you drunk the night before and you'll end up running another PB.
  • Hey everyone,back from the car-washing-incident just about! Did 20 miles last Sunday which was my first run for 10 days and my longest for three weeks due to doing GSR and er..car washing incident. Anyway, still getting niggles from the stressed peroneus brevis (the injury from the GSR rather than the car washing debacle)...anyway, serious question>
    Up until few weeks ago was knocking out 18 milers no prob on Sunday morns. Never eaten en route and not had a problem. Last Sunday in the 20 miles, ate some jellybeans at 12 miles...at 18 miles my legs actually came to a standstill..they litereally seized up and I had to walk couple of hundred yars and then stretch before I could get going. This had been my first run for 10 days and, as I said above, longest for three weeks due to injury and doing GSR. Can eating induce a wall? I'm sure I read somewhere that the downer after your body has consumed this high glucose stuff can induce this type of reaction. Planning on doing 20 again Sunday but not sure whther I should try the eating this again. Secondly, when is everyone doing the last long run and what are their plans for tapering.?
  • Hello Ian, well done on your 20, sorry about the jelly bean effect - nothing to offer on that, I'm afraid. As for last longy. As I said earlier, had planned to do one more 20 or 22 the week after Windsor, but now I'm in Bolton that weekend, so don't know when I'll fit it in, possibly the Friday before, or maybe even the weekend after - I had planned three weekends of tapering. See you Sunday Jason. BTW, I'm working in Camden on Monday and Tuesdays for the next month or so. Will be running at lunchtime if you fancy joining me?
  • Snicks

I've been made redundant (sob!), but will still be in Camden possibly next Tuesday if you fancy a run?

Let me know

cheers

Jason
  • Not a good redundancy then. Tuesday would be good, I'm in that building, you know, Lions! Talk on Sunday
  • Back to square 1(again)
    After last weeks improvement-went out on tues for a 15/18 miler, at 2.5miles my back locked up again, so walked home(feeling a complete prat), went to my osteopath again yesterday, backs feeling better, so will line up at windsor and see how things go. If I get through it on Sunday then I will have to cram the marathon training into 3 weeks!!!! If I don't make it, then will have to face reality that Dublin will just be about Guiness and cheering on the rest of you.
    So its off to merry windsor, with everything crossed(which does tend to make running a little tricky)
    Graham
  • See you sunday legless.
    Good luck!

Snicks, speak sunday then.
    Nugdeg, nugde, and all that!
  • cheers Jason-loking forwrd to meeting you and all the rest of the tribe.
    CU all on Sunday
  • Hi All. I'm doing Dublin too. Going out Sunday morning from Manchester at 11is and coming back Tuesday night.

Due to work commitments my training has been somewhat inconsistent but I'm not going to worry as long as I get a few 15-20 milers in before w/c 14th Oct I shall be happy.

For those that have done a marathon before you have no need to worry, if your training hasn't been as focussed you may just hurt a little more but at least you know that you can do it!

Keep positive and enjoy. The Temple Bar is the place that I'll be on Monday night......come on!!!
  • which bar we meeting in then Wolfy?
  • The Temple Bar for sure, for sure it is!

For those that haven't been to Dublin don't worry about finding it as anybody and everybody knows where it is!

Let's say 8pm on Monday night, I wont have a UFRC tee shirt on but I'll wear my medal....how's that?
  • sounds good to me, You will reconise me easily, I will crawl in on hands and knees, medal dragging on the floor lol
    8.00pm Temple bar it is
  • Great....I'm sure that all the others will find us in their on our knees, few sheets to the wind challenging each other to some ridiculos race or other!

Good luck!
  • 8 pm sounds good to me aswell, lots of people limping promising not to drink too much but failing miserably hopefully.
    Thought T bar was an area of Dublin though, just shows how wrong you can be.
    Anyone else going?
  • I have posted the meeting point on the race page so hopefully there will be a few of us.
  • Glad we managed to get together again . .

Yup - will try to get the Bath gang along to Temple Bar on Monday eve - medals to be worn - good idea (try getting the first-timers NOT to wear them!

As I typed that an awful thought occurred to me - we don't get medals in Dublin, we get plaques - not easy to wear them round your neck, or anywhere else for that matter.

Back to the drawing board - any thoughts?

Snicks - I know from experience how easy it is for life to get in the way - and this is one occasion when the thought doesn't count, isn't it. I'm sure you'll get your 20 in somehow, and you'll be fine on the day. Good luck on Sunday.

Ian - sorry - never tried jelly beans, and never heard that theory either.

Jason - again - sorry to learn of the redundancy - hope something turns up soon.

Legless - best of luck Sunday - hope the back holds up - we want you with us in Dublin, not on the outside cheering us on.

As for tapering - this has been one of those rare occasions (hoping I'm not tempting fate) when all has gone exactly to plan. I've done a couple of 22's, plan 20 this week, 16 the following week and then a gentle taper before the big day.

Best of luck all, with long runs and races, see you the other side of the weekend. RichK
  • Oh dear - just read the above - I do go on, don't I?

Will try to learn brevity over the weekend!

RichK
  • Legless, what race page? What meeting point?
  • Well, I've finally been given the go ahead to run again......5 times round a football pitch! I somehow doubt that this is going to be enough to help me get round in Dublin seeing as I last ran in mid August. I've kept up with the cv work, lots of cycling and swimming, but that's not much good in Dublin. I suppose I'll just have to grin and bear it, and cheer the rest of you on and set my sights on another race in the future. Shame really, Dublin falls perfectly in half term this year, bet it won't next year. Oh Gawd, that's another bag of Werthers I've got through, I must be seriously depressed.
  • Hi all. I've just read through this whole thread having come over from a similar but shorter one in the evnts forum. Having done 3 marathons now and looking forward to the Dub, it is graet to see that others have the same problems as me (ie injuries, doubts, demotivation and generally being less than an olympic athlete). i am just a bit concerned that most of you seem to be somewhat ahead of me in the training stakes. I have been increasing my milaegae of the Sunday run by 2 miles each week but have only been up to 18 miles so far. I intend to do 20 this sunday and 22 next week. am I leaving ts too late or what?
  • ... Ps Don't yoo weesh this site had a Spollchackker
  • Sparks, your training seems spot on and more or less follows RW's. And - this will have to be my last negative Snicks comment -you're doing better than me!
  • Sarcy1
    Go to the URWFRC web site at hhtp.//user.domaindlx.com/rwfrc/index.html
    create your login(sugest sarcy1 then your password)
    Click on races, then go to the month of oct, scrool thru till you find the Dublin marathon-click on race info and all will be revealed!!!!!!!!!!
  • Thanks Legs, see you all there I hope. Will there be any steps to climb? Yellow shirts all round is it?
  • Everyone must have been busy last night as there seems to be a distinct lack of traffic here.
    What are the plans for today? Any long runs planned? Everyone still overflowing with enthusiasm? Only 4 weeks to go!!
  • Hi to all Dubs. The lads and I are staying in Lower Gardiner Street. We are going over on the Saturday from Birmingham 12ish. Will meet anyone who wants to Saturday night. Hope all your tranings going well. Have done a few 20/22 runs,but not trained as well as the FLM. Thats 'cause the lads have talked me into this a few weeks ago. I did 2-48 at FLM but want get near that this time. I just want to enjoy the crack and have a good time. See you all soon.
  • Hi all.
    Desperate to get out an do a long run. Wifey keeps finding me jobs to do. I need help. Will have to go later today. Hope the weather stays good. Aint it been great this last month. Still in shorts and vest. Did the Robin Hood Half couple of weeks ago. Did anyone else? its a good race. It was the first race I ever did back in 1982? Straight in and did a marathon for a bet, in at the deep end or what! Ran it on footy training and a little bit more. Shear will power got me thru'. Now i train slightly better and enjoy the company from the running club I belong to. Keep in touch. See you all soon where the Guinness flows...
  • Meant to be doing my long run today but the wife must have been reading tiger's post as she has decided that today is her day and I must obey! Don't get me wrong, I sometimes like it when she gets all assertive but not now with only 4 weeks to go.
    I need that run.
  • Did a 20 yesterday at about 8.20 pace and felt okay. After an 18 miler last week when i blew up completely, i was quite pleased with yesterday. Must have been all the pasta and lucozade sport. Role on the 22 next week and then (joy of joys) the taper. Does anyone know if Dublin has pacers? - I wouldn't have thought so but it would be my only chance of getting sub 3.30.
  • Hoping for sub 3.30 too, don't know about the pacers though.