Dublin Marathon

Comments

• Hi all, did a 20 miler yesterday and ankles held up but had to stop at 18 miles and walk for hundred yards or so before I could start running again. Getting pretty nervous about the 26.2 now...revising my time to closer to 4.30 than 4.15 based upon Sundays time. Bit disappointing really as had been knocking out 18 milers in 2.45 ish. Not sure where its going wrong.
  • Ian,

Are you carbo-loading before the long ones and using isotonics? I really suffered last week on an 18 miler and had to walk parts. i did a 20 this week after filling up with pasta the day before and using lucozade during. the difference was amazing! in my (albeit limited) experience, once i get up above 16-17 miles i need to prepare a bit more for runs.
  • Actually sparks my prep for the 20 miler this week was pretty poor. Friends b'day on saturday and went out to some mongolian restaurant...spent a disproportionate amount of time in a small room the following morning before the run....thinking back its pretty obvious really. I actually drunk 1 litre of lucozade en route but I think it was gonna be a poor one even before it started. Mrs W is on strict orders to pasta me up for next weeks long run.
  • That happened to me today, felt fine till about 14 miles then struggled on till had to stop at 17. I reckon it was just too late in the day for me, spent all day worrying about what I was eating and ended up all messed up. Day off tomorrow then another long one at the weekend, last one probably.
  • So is anyone else planning their taper yet or are you all hoping to squeeze another couple of long runs in? How are your plans going?
    Saw the photos of Windsor, all the URWFRC vests looked great but might be a bit cold for Dublin in October. Is there going to be a show of club colours there? Maybe some sort of thermal top under the vest, freshly ironed of course.
  • I'm away this weekend so doing 10 miles on Friday and 12 on Sunday whilst away in IOW. Plan to do another 20 on the 13th Oct and then taper off from there.
  • I'm hoping for a 22 this weekend then taper from there (maybe a 15 and a 13 the following weeks). i don't really think I've been doing enough on the mid week runs though. My highest weekly mileage has only been 38 and that was the highest by far! Am going to try to get up to 45plus this week work permitting.
  • God knows how I'm going to fit in a long un this week. Thinking there might be a window free from 6am to 845am on Friday morning, which will only be about 18 miles. Work yesterday and today, and have got home at 7pm, then kids things. Should run now but I ate, so have to leave it to around about 9pm when I turn into scardey Snicks! Oh well, it'll be worth it in the end - won't it?
  • Hoping this is going to be my longest week so far, as you say Snicks it will be worth it. No last minute doubts I hope is there?
    I suppose it will be all downhill after this weekend, till the day itself anyway.
  • It's no good, I just can't keep away! I've been reading all about your long runs, you lucky lot. I've only just got back to running and my longest is 6 times round a rugby pitch. According to the physio, if that seems ok I can progress to a slightly longer run on a cycle trail. Hmmmm doesn't look too promising for Dublin now :o(
  • Hi Sarcy Ian Sparky Snicks Seabird and all you forth coming Dubliners. The big day is getting nearer and everyone seems to be starting to worry about whether they have done enough mileage. Me included. Wish i'd stuck to my guns and not let the lads talk me into doing this. But, what the heck. I'll just run and enjoy it, if thats at all possible. Wifey let me out for a long run on Sunday after all! Didn't have time to put kit on. Apron,marrigolds got some queer looks and some whistles! I wonder if Ronhill's clothing could come up with some designs? P.S Wifey gave me a right telling off........ sweaty apron didn't go down well! lol.
  • Boxfish's other 1/2: Looking forward to a great day in Dublin, but worried by a recurring knee injury. Thought I'd cracked it about two months ago. One careless run without a good warm-up and stretch on Saturday and heyho, pulled up at 6 miles and limping 3 miles home (shoulda taken my bus pass). Hopefully a week or so's rest with ice and massage will do it, and I'll see you in the crowd, rather than watch you from the crowd!
    Jason
  • Hi boxfish, sorry to hear about your knee. Have you done any strenght exercises on it?
    If your going to rest would swimming help?
    Hope all goes well. Will see you in Dublin,perhaps? People are meeting in Temple Bar at 8.00pm and at breakfast run.
  • How long is this brekkie run? have tried to find out but the dublin website isn't helping on that score, 10k has been mentioned but surely not the day before the marathon.
  • Relatively new to this site, have been lurking in the forum for just over a week but first time contributor. Saw a whole bunch of URWFRC's out at Windsor on the weekend and decided that it's for me! I was at Windsor with a dozen friends, but will be doing Dublin alone :-( I've sent off an order to DW for a vest so hopefully will see a few of you there, if not before the race then definitely afterwards at Temple Bar! This will be my second marathon after doing FLM in April - had a really bad experience there with runners trots so hoping to avoid that. Had a rough summer with knee injuries (too much sport) but reading this thread has given me the inspiration to keep going - looking at diong 20 this weekend then tapering with 16 at Kingston and maybe 10 the following weekend...
  • Just wanted to say: Dublin Maraton
    4 weeks to go...gulp!
  • Maraton: That wasn't me doing an Irish accent!
  • Hey Snicks! Love the new look! Will you be wearing the Leopard skin at Dublin?

Sorry I didn't catch you (or anyone else really) after Windsor. Emma had quite a hard run and suffered towards the end, but dug deep and finished in 2:37 (I think that's why she was a bit cagey about running with someone aiming for 2:10 BTW). She was as nervous beforehand as I've ever seen her, but I thought she did really well considering the heat, hills, her cold and it being her first race. Well done on your performance - you must be well chuffed? Sounds like your training is going okay now, despite your previous fears. Are you doing a last long run on Sunday?

Jason, well done on your PB as well - looks like we're all starting to feel fairly confident.

DW
  • Thanks DW... I have to try and fit my last long one in on Friday. I'm thinking 6am to 9am (!)... I'm away on a work thing this weekend. Then I'll do a 2 hour one the following week, then 1.5 hours the week after. Then we're nearly there!!!
  • Snicks,

6am!? Blimey! You might as well have a night on the Cab. Sauv. and not bother going to bed! I wish I could get up and run at that time in the morning, but my body always takes serious issue with any running before about 9!

I've got my last long run on Sunday - 20 miles, although I might stretch it out for another one or two in the unlikely event that my legs are sufficiently operational to manage it. Must say I'm really looking forward to the tapering now. All the joints in my body feel absolutely knackered at the moment...I think it must be my age catching up with me! There are a few forumites doing the Tring Ridgeway Run (15K) on 13th Oct if you're around and fancy it. Might not be long enough if you're wanting to do 2 hours though...perhaps you could run up the A41 to the start to make up the difference? ;-)

See you soon.

DW
  • Ooh, DW, might just do that one. I'll have a jog after
  • Excellent! Welcome aboard.

Click Here for details...
  • Printed it off, just got to check I'm not teaching...
  • Tell me please someone - does anyone actually do the 50plus miles recommended for marathons by RW or is that something just to put people off? I finally decided to have a go (this being the peak week and all that). I did 20 on sunday, 7 last night and 10 tonight and .... I'm K****ered!!! there is no way Im going to do the requisite 13 by the end of the week.

Yeah, yeah - i know I should buld up slowly to that mileage but does anyone do that either? It seems to be more a case of "really? only 5 weeks you say? Better do some training then."

Still, if it wasn't for people like me, Paula radcliffe wouldn't look so good
  • DW - Cheers. Still can't do the sub 2:00 half, but I'll keep trying. Say well done to Emma. Windsor was very touugh, and just finishing it was a superb effort.

Everyone, I'm going to try for 20 this Sunday, then the Kingston 16 the following week with a 10 mile tapper at the Cabbage Patch Ten on the 20th. I'm beginning to struggle now, and like DW, I think it's old age catching up with me. :-)
  • Sarcy1 & all you Duds
    the breaky run is about 3k so i've been told. I have also been on the Dublin Marathon web site and it's not very good with details. I know they meet up and have breaky and swap teeshirts etc. How will we know each other? How about we wear some sort of special teeshirt or something? My training is going reasonably well. Did a 8 mile run with my club friends tonight. Tomorrow i will do 16 miles. Then Sunday a 3 hour run and then it's time to start tapering down. Thats the bit I enjoy. By the way Snicks the leapord skin looks good but the hair do, is well out of date! Do you keep it in place with all that tacky Lucozade Sport?
  • do they mean old t-shirts? I have a few I wouldn't mind getting rid of if that is the case.
    Maybe if we all take our URWFRC tops we can all swap them with each other, pre or post race can be decided later.
    Sparks, I am also trying for the 50 mile week this week, 17 Monday, 7 today, hope 10 tomorrow, short one on Saturday and last long one on Sunday.
    By the way I quite like Britney's belly button too!
  • Sparks, my biggest week is prob 34 miles. I've done now prob 2 x 17 miles, 3 x 18 miles and 2 x 20 mile runs (i.e my sunday runs for he last 7 week)and filled in 6 mile tempo, 5 mile easy and 4 mile/800m rep speedwork. To do more than this would a)kn***** me and b)would be virtually impossible due to work. I think this is enough and pretty much the same my brother did for his 4 x 4hr marathons. I have read the threads here and the RW schedules and it would be easy to panic and think that you havnt put enough miles in. AT this stage the key think is getting there in one piece so I've got no intentions of trying to ramp the miles up. Anyway, in 3.5 weeks I'll know whther it has worked!!
  • Panic? What panic? Can't wait for the taper. All nervous energy and bouncing off the walls with the wife telling me to go for a run but not being allowed to go, it should be fun.
  • Sparks,

I wouldn't panic about not doing a 50 mile week. My biggest week for mileage is this one and it's 43 miles. There is also a school of thought that says the mileage you actually need to do to train for a marathon is considerably less than most schedules suggest. I think the most important thing is to get the long run in (which you've done) each week to build stamina - a lot of the remainder is just keeping things ticking over I believe. Perhaps you could have a rest day today, then do a 6 miler on Friday and then another long run on Sunday? From then on it's tapering so you won't need to worry about mileages anyway as nothing you do will build stamina.

Hope this puts your mind at rest a bit. We all worry about not having done enough training, but we're invariably fine on the day so relax and enjoy the taper.

Don't worry - you've worked plenty hard enough.

DW